[Fisio SB addOn released] Fisio: Physics Simulator

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,821

Alberto said:

Increase the precision or increase the FPS in the timeline or decrease the scale to avoid the overlapping of the sphere on the ground.

But, in this case, if you set a non-zero value in the bounciness of all Fisio Materials (maybe 0.1) to get a more realistic behavior, it also solves the overlapping without changing precision.

Thanks, Precision 2 did the trick.  Precision 3 and 4 still gave some overlap of the sphere with the ground but not to the extent Precision 1 had. Changing bounciness did not remove overlap at all in this case.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,227
    edited December 2022

I made a Fisio marbles animation.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 2022

Very nice barbult! It's fun seeing things in motion.

Post edited by RGcincy on

I think I'm done playing with this cannon example for now. Using Albertos's suggestions of friction and precision, I have the effects I wanted. I made a cannon barrel from a thickened primitive cylinder and it reacts to the shot. Maybe I'll build a carriage with wheels at some point and see how it all behaves. I'll be writing up the details on how I did this on my Fisio thread.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,907
    edited December 2022

Nicely done, @barbult and @RGcincy.

I wonder, if it is possible to simulate hinges with Fisio.

That will be the first step to simulate some machines.

My computer is too slow to render animations in Daz Studio,

so I will probably stick to static renders for most of the time.

Post edited by Artini on

Artini said:

I wonder, if it is possible to simulate hinges with Fisio.

That will be the first step to simulate some machines.

I have an interest in machines too. I think my next experiment will be to build some type of printing press. 

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 529
    edited December 2022

Really like the result from my first experiments! Click on image to open video.

BallsInCrateHDR4.jpg
    800 x 450 - 101K
    Post edited by markusmatern on
  • The balls behaved really well. I like the slight bouncing the balls made. Convincing.

Finally got a mechanism to work using Fisio. This is to be a printing press and it isn't finished yet but I have the key parts working. The paper is pulled through the press by the action of friction from the feed and exit rollers as well as the larger print cylinder. A Fisio force node on each of these three, set to local torque, supplies the motive force. I used a fabric pattern as it is easier to see the motion. I must say it wasn't easy to get to this point but I learned a lot along the way.

• That is cool

Looks great, @RGcincy

Thanks Robert and Artini. I've got ink rollers partially working, then I need to look at some type of feed mechanism. 

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,554

RGcincy said:

Finally got a mechanism to work using Fisio. This is to be a printing press and it isn't finished yet but I have the key parts working. The paper is pulled through the press by the action of friction from the feed and exit rollers as well as the larger print cylinder. A Fisio force node on each of these three, set to local torque, supplies the motive force. I used a fabric pattern as it is easier to see the motion. I must say it wasn't easy to get to this point but I learned a lot along the way.

Coming from newspaper printing (left 20+ years ago), this is way cool! 

Thanks Totte. My dad's brother was a printer for the St. Louis Globe-Democrat and my mom's mom and aunt worked for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. They had good careers but that industry has certainly changed enormously since their days. I still own a letterpress I purchased in 1972, used it to run a printing business out of my dorm room.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,227

I used Fisio to drop the gifts into the "sleigh". It made a nice pile.

Looks great, @barbult.

Such simulations are useful to create different scenes.

Will need to wait with my experiments in Daz Studio, until I reinstall it, after Windows crash.

Right now, I only have Unity installed again and this keep me busy for a while.

Looks like Santa won't forget to deliver your Daz presents this year @Barbult. So far, filling containers and creating piles seem to be one of the best uses for Fisio.

Agree. More advanced usage, like creating Rube Goldberg machines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

needs to wait a bit longer, I think.

• barbult said:

I used Fisio to drop the gifts into the "sleigh". It made a nice pile.

Thx for the good smile.  They look so happy! And who wouldn't be with that multitude of nicely stacked pressies to share. (And great use of Fisio.)

Playing around with bounciness parameter and made this pin ball setup. Details on using bounciness can be found here.

Another game, Plinko. One thing I learned from this is the drop is deterministic: you get the same result and pattern each time. There doesn't appear to be a way to add in randomness; some of the forces do have a random seed but here I'm using nothing but gravity. You can change the result, however, by slightly moving the peg directly beneath the ball.

Very nice examples, @RGcincy, shows the real power of Fisio. Well done.

• Appreciate the examples

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    edited January 2023
    Not bad. You're right about the randomness; the ball lacks the erratic bouncing as it hits the pegs and passes through them.
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on

thanks

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,383
    edited January 2023

RGcincy said:

Another game, Plinko. One thing I learned from this is the drop is deterministic: you get the same result and pattern each time. There doesn't appear to be a way to add in randomness; some of the forces do have a random seed but here I'm using nothing but gravity. You can change the result, however, by slightly moving the peg directly beneath the ball.

Yes, the Chrono Engine is purely deterministic: If you have the same initial conditions, you'll have exactly the same trajectory. However, your setup has sensitivity to initial conditions, as expected, and a slight change in the system (moving a peg) or in the initial position or velocity of the ball, will change the trajectory.

Your example is simply excellent!

AnEye4Art said:

Not bad. You're right about the randomness; the ball lacks the erratic bouncing as it hits the pegs and passes through them.

That's not what Rich was talking about, I think. The "erratic bouncing" depends on the Material's properties of the ball, the pegs, and the box, especially the bounciness and the density.

Post edited by Alberto on

Alberto said:

Yes, the Chrono Engine is purely deterministic: If you have the same initial conditions, you'll have exactly the same trajectory. However, your setup has sensitivity to initial conditions, as expected, and a slight change in the system (moving a peg) or in the initial position or velocity of the ball, will change the trajectory.

Your example is simply excellent!

Thanks, I learn more with each thing I tackle.

AnEye4Art said:

That's not what Rich was talking about, I think. The "erratic bouncing" depends on the Material's properties of the ball, the pegs, and the box, especially the bounciness and the density.

True. If you set bounciness to 1 the ball sometimes never drops as it just keeps bouncing around in the upper part of the box.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    edited January 2023

RGcincy said:

True. If you set bounciness to 1 the ball sometimes never drops as it just keeps bouncing around in the upper part of the box.

Thanks for the tip. Keep up the good work. 

Post edited by AnEye4Art on

Daz Pinball. Ball movement is gravity supplemented by bumper reaction and paddle movements. Bounciness set to 0.95 which sustains motion but does let some energy be lost (1.0 would be perfect momentum exchange). Animation of paddle and bumpers added in by hand and since they affect the remaining simulation, you have to make multiple runs so you can build up the animations in sequence.