Anyone figured out how to use Geo-Grafting Navel and Nipples for Genesis 9?

furiousstug@cox.net[email protected] Posts: 143
edited November 2022 in The Commons

Is there some trick to using this product? I seleft the graft, apply the skin texture, and still end up with white grafts. Using 4.21 and MSO Peppa

Edit: It looks like the grafts only accept base materials. I get no joy with V9 or MSO Preppa. That's kind of not useful...

Post edited by [email protected] on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,647

I don't have it, but check that the grafts are using the right shader, before applying the material.

• Easiest way of perfectly matching a graft with the skin is to save that body surface as a shader preset and then apply this shader to the graft. Whatever were surface settings on the graft they will be replaced with exactly same shader/material as on the body.

• PixelSploiting said:

Easiest way of perfectly matching a graft with the skin is to save that body surface as a shader preset and then apply this shader to the graft. Whatever were surface settings on the graft they will be replaced with exactly same shader/material as on the body.

Tried that, but didn't seem to work correctly, maybe I did something wrong. Base textures applied without issue, others didn't. On top of the skin issue, shaping options are too limited to justify keeping the product (at least for me). Just gonna wait for options from other stores.

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited November 2022

Probably you did something wrong. 

Although, geografts do not transfer HD morphs including skin detailing. So the body part that is a graft often looks off even if all skin settings are properly transfered. Which is why grafts aren't perfect solution.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
    edited November 2022

I don't own the product, but you might need to manually copy the textures of the torso of your character and paste it onto the geograft. Just make sure the shader for the geograft matches the skin. As it's been mentioned by PixelSploiting, you can select the torso/body surface and save that out as a shader, then simply apply that shader to the belly button and nipples.

Update: the read-me for the product mentions selecting the geografts and applying the material textures. Albeit, that might be a problem if the skin has been saved as a hierarchical material preset. If so, you'll need to manually apply the textures as stated above.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    edited November 2022

Sounds like it's more a product for PAs who want to make a G9 figure with nipples/navel and deliver the needed materials with it than for "normal users"...

Post edited by maikdecker on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I hope that these grafts are going to work with all those skin materials, both male & female, because I doubt that DAZ & all the PAs are going to make extra textures just for these geographs.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

nonesuch00 said:

I hope that these grafts are going to work with all those skin materials, both male & female, because I doubt that DAZ & all the PAs are going to make extra textures just for these geographs.

I'm betting they'll work with the basic G9 UVs, but any additional UVs won't work. 

nonesuch00 said:

I would assume that it uses the existing body texture. That should be fairly straightforward to do. 

• Looks like those geografts are matching female textures, but quite possibly you'd need another set made for males. I don't own the product, but location for this anatomical detail does differ between male and female textures and a geograft can cover one placement.

PixelSploiting said:

Looks like those geografts are matching female textures, but quite possibly you'd need another set made for males. I don't own the product, but location for this anatomical detail does differ between male and female textures and a geograft can cover one placement.

As I understand the product description there is a geograft intended for males and one for females. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

The geografts themselves come into the scene with Iray Uber settings, but all of the figures that would use them have PBRSkin shaders on the character. You'll need to apply the PBRSkin shader to the geograft, then copy the BODY surface, then paste that onto the geograft.

And yes, it does have a version for males and for females.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the default location for the PBRSkin preset is. I have a more or less custom directory setup, and don't use Smart content, so I'm not sure where it would be.

• vwrangler said:

The geografts themselves come into the scene with Iray Uber settings, but all of the figures that would use them have PBRSkin shaders on the character. You'll need to apply the PBRSkin shader to the geograft, then copy the BODY surface, then paste that onto the geograft.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the default location for the PBRSkin preset is. I have a more or less custom directory setup, and don't use Smart content, so I'm not sure where it would be.

Shader presets/Iray/Daz PBRSkin

• vwrangler said:

That's waaay too much trouble to go through to make a purchase product work. Something sold for G9 should support both Uber and PBR out of the box.

• wurger said:

vwrangler said:

That's waaay too much trouble to go through to make a purchase product work. Something sold for G9 should support both Uber and PBR out of the box.

It does, just apply the preset for the shader.

• I will be returning this product.  I have used geografts before and the vendors always made them easy to copy the materials over to the Geograft by using scripts and having a copy materials button in the product.  This having to apply the skin mat 3 times is for the birds.  Also it will only work with single mat skins.  Any skin that includes the genitials mat does not work (I just tested every character I have).  All I have been able to get the geograft to work with are the single skins and chest skins for Victoria and Michael and the 8 base skins.  None of the PA model skins seem to work at all (at lease the models I have)   Also the morphs provided are very basic.  I would have liked to see a product that at least has the same nubmer of morphs as the nipple and neval morphs for the G3/8/8.1 generations.  It is amazing that this product got out of QC.  It is not up to DAZ Studio's usual standards.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited November 2022

billyben_0077a25354 said:

I will be returning this product.  I have used geografts before and the vendors always made them easy to copy the materials over to the Geograft by using scripts and having a copy materials button in the product.  This having to apply the skin mat 3 times is for the birds.  Also it will only work with single mat skins.  Any skin that includes the genitials mat does not work (I just tested every character I have).  All I have been able to get the geograft to work with are the single skins and chest skins for Victoria and Michael and the 8 base skins.  None of the PA model skins seem to work at all (at lease the models I have)   Also the morphs provided are very basic.  I would have liked to see a product that at least has the same nubmer of morphs as the nipple and neval morphs for the G3/8/8.1 generations.  It is amazing that this product got out of QC.  It is not up to DAZ Studio's usual standards.

I've used them on Nao, a PA character, and they worked fine with her genital mats. I might be misunderstanding what you mean by single skins. 

The biggest issue I've had with these is that they distort pretty badly when using the Breast Fullness Lower morph. They're not the most complete solution, but they're around the same level of detail as the official morphs if you need to keep your characters at low subdivision. This character is using them at subdivision level 1 and the geografts at 4. 

My steps for using them are load the geografts on the character > apply the PBR (or Iray Uber) shader to the geografts > copy the character's body texture > paste the body texture onto both geografts. 

geograft masc.png
    1545 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • billyben_0077a25354billyben_0077a25354 Posts: 771
    edited November 2022

plasma_ring said:

I've used them on Nao, a PA character, and they worked fine with her genital mats. I might be misunderstanding what you mean by single skins. 

What I mean by single skins is all of the skins that say "Alll Mats" don't work.  Now if I apply the single skin mat or one of the individual chest skin mats for V9/M9 then follow the directions on the Documentation Center page, then they apply.  I was unable to apply the materials to MSO Peppa, CB Arceli, CB Marli, or VYK Sydney following the instructiosn on the Documentation Center page.  I have already sent a ticket to request a refund and have uninstalled the product from DAZ.

Post edited by billyben_0077a25354 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

Of cource "All mats" doesn't apply to nipple and navel geografts, because at the time the hierarchial(?) material presets were done, there were no such geografts and even now, they are PA-made additional product.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited November 2022

You seem to miss the point here. Again, G9 is HD based, this means body details including but not limited to navel and nipples are done in HD, this means there's no geometry and uv maps for them they can be wherever the PA decides to sculpt them. This is why geografts can only work with the default figures while custom figures are not granted to work.

For example with G3-G8 you have geometry defining the nipples, this means if the PA morphs the figure the uv map will continue to work. With G9 it doesn't.

Post edited by Padone on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

PerttiA said:

Of cource "All mats" doesn't apply to nipple and navel geografts, because at the time the hierarchial(?) material presets were done, there were no such geografts and even now, they are PA-made additional product.

1. Exactly, you apply all mats to your figure.
    2. You go to the surface tab and copy the texture from the figure's body
    3. You apply the default PBR skin shader to the geograft
    4. You paste the body texture onto the geograft.

This is pretty much how you use any shader in Daz Studio.  The rule with shaders is that they can only be pasted onto to like surfaces so iray to iray, 3delight to 3 delight, and PBR to PBR since various slots for settings have to be there in the first place.  This separates them from materials where you just click and several scripted things happen and then the texture is applied.

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited November 2022

Padone said:

You seem to miss the point here. Again, G9 is HD based, this means body details including but not limited to navel and nipples are done in HD, this means there's no geometry and uv maps for them they can be wherever the PA decides to sculpt them. This is why geografts can only work with the default figures while custom figures are not granted to work.

For example with G3-G8 you have geometry defining the nipples, this means if the PA morphs the figure the uv map will continue to work. With G9 it doesn't.

Custom figures work fine with these unless the PA has decided to place the nipple textures somewhere other than where the guideline layout says they should, which no PA has done so far to the best of my knowledge. That is where the geografts load. The UV map still ensures that whatever sits in that area on the texture stays in that area on the mesh. 

the discourse.png
    5838 x 1886 - 7M
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited November 2022

@plasma_ring With G9 the textures among figures will only work fine if the PA sculpts exactly in the same position and size following the base figure template, since there's no topology to support the uv map. Unless the PA also provides a custom uv map but in that case the geograft will not work.

If your examples above are based on base geometry morphs of course they will work as before and have nothing to do with HD sculpting. Then again HD sculpting can only be done by PAs since we "normal" users don't get the HD toolkit.

Post edited by Padone on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited November 2022

So far all figures released for G9 were following the base figure template so no need to start doomsaying this soon.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • Padone said:

@plasma_ring With G9 the textures among figures will only work fine if the PA sculpts exactly in the same position and size following the base figure template, since there's no topology to support the uv map. Unless the PA also provides a custom uv map but in that case the geograft will not work.

If your examples above are based on base geometry morphs of course they will work as before and have nothing to do with HD sculpting. Then again HD sculpting can only be done by PAs since we "normal" users don't get the HD toolkit.

It's not as if any previous generation had characetrs with mis-aligned nipples or other anatomical landmarks...

• nemesis10 said:

PerttiA said:

This is pretty much how you use any shader in Daz Studio.  The rule with shaders is that they can only be pasted onto to like surfaces so iray to iray, 3delight to 3 delight, and PBR to PBR since various slots for settings have to be there in the first place.  This separates them from materials where you just click and several scripted things happen and then the texture is applied.

For ease of use for the most common user workflow here, wouldn't it have made sense for these to load with the PBR shader if that's what most if not all of the G9 people in the DAZ store are going to use? It seems like that step is what's tripping people up.
  • Was able to beta test a product which produced quite nice results on the few G9 ladies I own. Did copy the figures texture very well and does much more on top. Stay tuned ;-)

Although I have to say G8 is much easier to handle in this aspect IMO.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,420

AlmightyQUEST said:

nemesis10 said:

PerttiA said:

For ease of use for the most common user workflow here, wouldn't it have made sense for these to load with the PBR shader if that's what most if not all of the G9 people in the DAZ store are going to use? It seems like that step is what's tripping people up.

We can only give advice on how to do something, DAZ is not here and if one wants to complain to them, one must write a ticket. 

• PrefoXPrefoX Posts: 237

wurger said:

vwrangler said:

Uber is a PBR shader btw

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

PerttiA said:

We can only give advice on how to do something, DAZ is not here and if one wants to complain to them, one must write a ticket. 

Which is a shame... or a display of a lack of interest in feedback. Not having at least one employee who's job it is to check the forum's most visited parts where paying customers (!) write about their experiences with the shop software, products and service is... amateurish...