Holiday Giveaways 2022!

Comments

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

manekiNeko said:

about https://www.pcwelt.de/xmas ... am i stupid or what? when i go to the page, i see "PC-WELT Xmas-Calendar 2022: Every Day a new Full Version!" (in german) - but then nothing, no calendar, no full versions of anything, just an endless list of "best" products and stuff... nothing on chip.de and pretty much any xmas calendars i've ever seen, and i'm also pretty sure too that there, last year, there was a normal calendar with little windows or something

What browser do you use? And maybe an ad/script blocker? I'm using Firefox with ScriptSafe; to get the calendar, I'd had to allow quite some scripts......... (specifically 'tuerchen.app' had to be allowed, but before those scripts showed up in the scriptsafe list, quite a few other script had to be allowed 1st.....)

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

manekiNeko said:

about https://www.pcwelt.de/xmas ... am i stupid or what? when i go to the page, i see "PC-WELT Xmas-Calendar 2022: Every Day a new Full Version!" (in german) - but then nothing, no calendar, no full versions of anything, just an endless list of "best" products and stuff... nothing like chip.de or pretty much any xmas calendars i've ever seen, and i'm also pretty sure too that even thereon pcwelt, last year, there was a normal calendar with little windows or something

The grey box on the page, click on "Externen Inhalt von Türchen.com anzeigen" to enable the calender. They're using an external service to provide the calendar on their page and you need to opt in to that.

• Turbosquid has 2 pages free Christmas models too. We can't put links in here {because pages also have commercial items}.

They have wreaths, trees, socks for the fireplace, red hats, snowmen [and one that is very unfriendly looking with big black eyes and a stitched smile, and another one that looks like golf balls instead of snow], a Choco Santa Claus 6 {as in looks like a chocolate food item}, Gingerbread Cookies, a beautiful gold fashion cross pendant, etc.

• kimhkimh Posts: 386

Fae3D said:

Does anyone have a link for the Renderosity givaway?  I thought that they normally started Dec 1 every year, but maybe I was wrong?

I've noticed in the last few years that they have started about a few days to one week into December

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

glaseye said:

manekiNeko said:

about https://www.pcwelt.de/xmas ... am i stupid or what? when i go to the page, i see "PC-WELT Xmas-Calendar 2022: Every Day a new Full Version!" (in german) - but then nothing, no calendar, no full versions of anything, just an endless list of "best" products and stuff... nothing on chip.de and pretty much any xmas calendars i've ever seen, and i'm also pretty sure too that there, last year, there was a normal calendar with little windows or something

What browser do you use? And maybe an ad/script blocker? I'm using Firefox with ScriptSafe; to get the calendar, I'd had to allow quite some scripts......... (specifically 'tuerchen.app' had to be allowed, but before those scripts showed up in the scriptsafe list, quite a few other script had to be allowed 1st.....)

i use chrome with ghostery, ad blocker(s), domain blockers and whatnot... i also have a dead old firefox, haven't tried that pc-welt site on it.

but yeah, if you have to allow stuff, i think i'll pass... either they make it simple, clean and pleasant for people to visit their site, or they push mandatory apps and scripts which i have no clue about, in which case they can, as german say, "blow in my shoes", lol.
    i don't feel i'll miss much, sometimes the conditions for those free progs are annoying anyway.
    but thx everyone for the infos anyways ^^

• Catherine3678ab said:

Turbosquid has 2 pages free Christmas models too. We can't put links in here {because pages also have commercial items}.

They have wreaths, trees, socks for the fireplace, red hats, snowmen [and one that is very unfriendly looking with big black eyes and a stitched smile, and another one that looks like golf balls instead of snow], a Choco Santa Claus 6 {as in looks like a chocolate food item}, Gingerbread Cookies, a beautiful gold fashion cross pendant, etc.

Can you at least give a hint on how to find it? It's not listed anywhere on Turbosquid's front page and the first several pages on a google search only give links to marginally relevant "searches" for Christmas items on Turbosquid. I can find the item page for "Choco Santa Claus 6" but searching for other pages with a link to that page only gives one single "avent" page with only that one item on it.

• Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Turbosquid has 2 pages free Christmas models too. We can't put links in here {because pages also have commercial items}.

Can you at least give a hint on how to find it? It's not listed anywhere on Turbosquid's front page and the first several pages on a google search only give links to marginally relevant "searches" for Christmas items on Turbosquid. I can find the item page for "Choco Santa Claus 6" but searching for other pages with a link to that page only gives one single "avent" page with only that one item on it.

Sign in first, then search for "Christmas" - then go to price and select 'free' ... 

• SemicharmSemicharm Posts: 374
    edited December 2022

Catherine3678ab said:

Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Sign in first, then search for "Christmas" - then go to price and select 'free' ... 

Freebies that are available year round don't really qualify as limited "holiday giveaways"

Post edited by Semicharm on
  • Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Freebies that are available year round don't really qualify as limited "holiday giveaways"

My thread, nowhere in it did I say 'limited' ... the theme is for the holidays ;-) 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

I've never heard someone complain that freebies were available for too long! surprise

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,839

manekiNeko said:

but yeah, if you have to allow stuff, i think i'll pass... either they make it simple, clean and pleasant for people to visit their site, or they push mandatory apps and scripts which i have no clue about, in which case they can, as german say, "blow in my shoes", lol.

Or if they simply follow legal requirements concerning embedded content provided by external services.

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

Ascania said:

manekiNeko said:

Or if they simply follow legal requirements concerning embedded content provided by external services.

of course i appreciate being asked/having to consent/being able to choose if i want to activate some xtra scripts, whatever content etc or not (which wasn't the case here, the calender just didn't show btw), and i also appreciate very much this being legally relevant. what i'd appreciate even more would be to create such a page without too many gimmicks actually needing that stuff - after all i just want the goodies for free, make it html or javascript or whatever simple coding does the trick, and without it being externalized.... 

• Halcon BlueskyHalcon Bluesky Posts: 288
    edited December 2022

@Catherine3678ab, I went to the TurboSquid site you did mention (to get there, use uncle Google and presto) 

I found some items of interest, those that visit the place must try to sort by lowest price this will show the free items first and then comes the priced up.

Most of them are in FBX, OBJ  and another file format, there is no mention of Daz format.

Edit - I fixed the typo

Post edited by Halcon Bluesky on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,019
    edited December 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

@Catherine3678ab, I went to the TurboSquid site you did mention (to get there, use uncle Google and presto) 

I found some items of intest, those that visit the place must try to sort by lowest price this will show the free items first and then comes the priced up.

Most of them are in FBX, OBJ  and another file format, there is no mention of Daz format.

If one has Blender and Blender files are offered, those are usable [at least in Blender].

However for D/S - go with the .obj files. Import them into D/S {may have to experiment a bit to get the size right} so that they are the correct size on import, texture how you please and then save out a prop file. {if using your own textures, have them first in the Runtime > textures > your subfolders before applying}

FBX files are hit and miss in D/S - can try them if obj is not available.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • @Catherine3678ab, I was trying at first to use OBJ files then someone else said to use FBX, I am a bit confused here, I don't know if there are some textures, can these be applied to the file or not?

edited December 2022

Halcon Bluesky said:

@Catherine3678ab, I was trying at first to use OBJ files then someone else said to use FBX, I am a bit confused here, I don't know if there are some textures, can these be applied to the file or not?

In the downloads, IF there are textures they are usually in a separate zip called "textures" or "maps." Unless there is a .mtl file as well, and that all is written the way D/S likes to read them, you would either have to rename the .mtl file to 'one_word' and edit the .obj [text editor] to call for the renamed .mtl file. Then the .obj might load with all its textures. However if loading textures, you will want this entire folder [.obj, .mtl and textures all in 1 folder] in the Runtime > textures > your subfolders place. 

I find it easier [faster] to just use whatever shaders I already own to texture many .obj and then save them out as a prop. Then this .obj doesn't have to be anywhere special, the D/S prop file will be saving out its data information into the data folder under your name [or whichever name you have put in the dialog box] which is in the main content collection folder for D/S. [EITHER "Content" OR "My Library"]

Some FBX files will load in D/S, some will not. OBJ files normally always load.

• Fae3D said:

Does anyone have a link for the Renderosity givaway?  I thought that they normally started Dec 1 every year, but maybe I was wrong?

Renderosity usually does a 12 Days of Christmas, instead of a full Advent Calendar

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,430

crobinson019_9931cbbf5f said:

Fae3D said:

Renderosity usually does a 12 Days of Christmas, instead of a full Advent Calendar

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks for the info.

• barbult said:

Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Semicharm said:

Catherine3678ab said:

I've never heard someone complain that freebies were available for too long! surprise

That's not what I said... I've been here for years, and every "holiday giveaways" thread was about givaways that were only available duiring the holidays. If someone wants to have different rules this year, that's fine.

edited December 2022

kratzdistel has several Christmas freebies available at Renderosity. [on page 1] [cookies!!!]

https://www.renderosity.com/users/kratzdistel/freestuff

• riuken1riuken1 Posts: 128

Day Six is up in TheFantasiesattic. Character morph for G8F.

https://www.thefantasiesattic.net/xmas/2022/index.html