A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• XI Muscle Dragster Car - side & front profile inspired by 1970s Mopar-edition Challengers; rear lights more 1969 Mustangs.

Maybe it got changed already, but I don't see any indication on the page that this is under an editorial license. Hope that doesn't mean some notice isn't showing up that should be.
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Yeah same, don't see the notice on that page here either

• looks like there's going to be a series of NY replications  (starting with the NY "robo cop K5, aka knightscope 5) which is cool, but shouldn't it all have an editorial license?

I don't understand anymore what falls under it or not, the rules for it have long since failed to make any sense to me. Too many things in the store that I personally wouldn't feel safe buying that IMHO SHOULD have an editorial license but don't. And that's the few things I actually recognize because I don't watch TV or movies much. That's what bothers me the most- that things are replications of something and I won't know to not buy it for certain things, because I haven't seen whatever popular movie/show/celebrity it's based on. Plenty of people will buy things for fan art or replication of scenes but at least we need to know.  Kudos to the PA making the robot for saying what its design and theme is all based on. 

https://www.daz3d.com/ht-cop-ny-robot

A NYPD robot called K5 which will patrol some subway stations.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

Nice Mercury Coupe. Too bad about the editorial license https://www.daz3d.com/mercury-coupe

• ArtAngel said:

Nice Mercury Coupe. Too bad about the editorial license https://www.daz3d.com/mercury-coupe

Yeah if they hadn't used the Mercury name it could have been usefull  

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

ArtAngel said:

The daily deal has an editorial license? That's surprising....

• PedroCPedroC Posts: 194

There should be an option in the store to hide/show "editorial license" products

• the mercury coup first DHD have to miss out on good thing looked at page before buying for the rewards at least you only have to spend $1 to keep points

• PedroC said:

There should be an option in the store to hide/show "editorial license" products

Not only in the Store but others have wished for the same filter within Daz Studio itself. If they're creating a commercial render, people want to avoid accidentally using any items with restricted licences.

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,038
    edited December 2023

PedroC said:

+1 to this.

At least a method to immediately recognize them in a single look. It's really that difficult make at least the products with Editorial License shown in the store, the library and the DIM with a different colour?

Something like this, to be clear:

I doubt something like this should need rocket science engineering to be made and it's super effective, IMHO.

Idea.jpg
    451 x 204 - 72K
    Post edited by Imago on
  • BrashFinkBrashFink Posts: 93
    edited December 2023

This is so annoying that we have to deal with this now. I wish they would either allow me to PERMANTELY hide all of this stuff, or dramaticly change the background or something on each item.

I do not even understand the point. I mean why are some of these things even allowed on here? Some of them are too close to protected things and thus unusable (like the Wonder Woman outfit or the face hugger model).

Post edited by BrashFink on

ColinFrench said:

PedroC said:

Not only in the Store but others have wished for the same filter within Daz Studio itself+. If they're creating a commercial render, people want to avoid accidentally using any items with restricted licences.

+1

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,348

What I find some what contradictory about these items, is the fact that we can not make money from them by including them in a render, but the PA and the store is allowed to profit from the sale of the model.

Havos said:

What I find some what contradictory about these items, is the fact that we can not make money from them by including them in a render, but the PA and the store is allowed to profit from the sale of the model.

+1

Perhaps it would only make sense if a company wants to offer its fans a product in the store with the possibility for its followers to create images for personal use. And they keep the copyright rights to exploit the image of their products... (excessive hype?)... The rest is quite contradictory and meaningless.

• PedroC said:

ColinFrench said:

PedroC said:

Not only in the Store but others have wished for the same filter within Daz Studio itself+. If they're creating a commercial render, people want to avoid accidentally using any items with restricted licences.

+1

+2 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 2023

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

the mercury coup first DHD have to miss out on good thing looked at page before buying for the rewards at least you only have to spend $1 to keep points

...but what here is 1$ anymore?  Even old PC+ items are now 2.99$ (provided you are a Daz+ member). 

Regarding the coupe, I put it in my cart, then remembered there was a "real world" brand name involved, looked at it, and dumped it.  Were it a freebie that may have been different.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,688

This has gotten very annoying. I was so pleased when I saw the new car, as I've been looking to add a 1940s model to my fleet, but like others here, I don't feel like buying things I can't properly use. Besides that, I would have actually liked the car itself even better if it had been a more generic type. Why do PAs think that we would want to replicate recognizable designs in this way? Weird.

• I'm glad I looked at this thread before checking out. I'd missed the license on the daily deal.

• tsroemi said:

This has gotten very annoying. I was so pleased when I saw the new car, as I've been looking to add a 1940s model to my fleet, but like others here, I don't feel like buying things I can't properly use. Besides that, I would have actually liked the car itself even better if it had been a more generic type. Why do PAs think that we would want to replicate recognizable designs in this way? Weird.

On the other hand, when a model is more generic people have complained that it isn't a model of any specific item.

• Richard Haseltine said:

tsroemi said:

On the other hand, when a model is more generic people have complained that it isn't a model of any specific item.

I wouldn't worry about it tsroemi, but if it's something you think you'd get a lot of use out of using an OBJ of the product in a 3D environment as a reference and creating your own model is always an option.  Costs less than a proper burrito in the States at the time of this post with DAZ+ membership.  What I would worry about is PA's who make replica's of famous Yanks.  Even if they are deceased the estate could come after them if they live in or have money in a country friendly to the USA.  Those folks likely have the resources for a decent squeeze.  Then there is the tier above that.  I won't mention their names but they are what some would call untouchables.  It would be ill advised to sell replicas of those people's images.  In those cases litigious action would be the least of your worries.    

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm not sure all of those complaints are about it not being a specific item, but that real examples haven't been referenced. And thus, often what you end up with is not something that didn't exist, but which couldn't.

For the sake of an example, Polish's Western Express:

Now, my expertise is mostly witk UK steam locomotives, but even then I can see problems here.

From an anachronistic point of view, this style of chimney was mostly out of use by the late 19th century. Locomotives were getting more powerful, needed bigger boilers, and thus chimneys had to shrink in order that the locomotive still fit through bridges and tunnels. However, no US tender locomotive had a 4-6-4 wheel arrangement before 1927.

Design wise, the proportions are comically large compared to the coaches it's pulling - by and large, steam locomotives generally look kind of small in comparison to their rolling stock because coaches and wagons can be built to squarely fill the complete loading gauge, but locomotives use some of their loading gauge for chimneys, external cylinders, ways to climb over the engine for maintenance, etc. On which note, details like stairs and handrails for the crew to actually board are missing.

But the big thing is that its connecting rods are linked in a way it could never actually move. Never, in the entire history of railways, have connecting rods ever been connected to the front bogie, especially with an arrangement that would immediately foul the main piston rod if the wheels actually could turn.

When an asset is fictional but plausible, then I'm happy; after all, I don't need to know that a character looks like a real person, or that a set of jeans is exactly based on the 2019 Calvin Klein range, so a hypothetical car isn't really much different.

I imagine that's what a lot of users have in mind when they complain that something isn't a specific item; that the end result hasn't been well referenced. I'm prepared to give leeway on a historical outfit having the wrong type of stitching for the late 17th century, or that potatoes wouldn't've been seen on a mediaeval marketplace, but I've learned the hard way when making my own assets that good reference is a vital starting point.

On this whole front though, one thing that does confuse me is that Daz keep slapping Editorial Licences on vehicles... but not guns? Gun trademarks and designs are no less protected in law than cars, but something like https://www.daz3d.com/fg-modern-weapon lists a large number of real world guns by recognisable and trademarked names.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Yeah, a car that isn't a replica of any existing one isn't a problem as long as it's realistic and believable.
    Copying a general look should not be a problem as the car manufacturers are doing it all the time. What is introduced in a new S-Class Mercedes, will be copied by the other manufacturers during the following decade.

Many would like to build realistic looking, normal everyday scenes, but one problem is the lack of vehicles that would fit the scene

• PerttiA said:

Yeah, a car that isn't a replica of any existing one isn't a problem as long as it's realistic and believable.
    Copying a general look should not be a problem as the car manufacturers are doing it all the time. What is introduced in a new S-Class Mercedes, will be copied by the other manufacturers during the following decade.

Many would like to build realistic looking, normal everyday scenes, but one problem is the lack of vehicles that would fit the scene

don't forget video games there are a lot of games for one reason or another can't or don't use cars or other items that are exact replicas of real things but are pretty good still

• kyoto kid said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

the mercury coup first DHD have to miss out on good thing looked at page before buying for the rewards at least you only have to spend $1 to keep points

...but what here is 1$ anymore?  Even old PC+ items are now 2.99$ (provided you are a Daz+ member). 

Regarding the coupe, I put it in my cart, then remembered there was a "real world" brand name involved, looked at it, and dumped it.  Were it a freebie that may have been different.  

well lately exept for the car I've bought all daily deals items which because I had the three punch cards each one got reduced in price, luckily in my advent calender daily products of freebie or buy the buy was something I could use that doesn;t change in price then there's my lightning deals often find something there every now and again and few been around $1 or $2 and decent prodocts too at least for me. Another thing about these daily, advent and freebie though is sometimes you gotta play where's Waldo to find them each day especially the freebie

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

kyoto kid said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Out of my 24 last purchases, ten have been between $1.01 and $1.30

• Matt_Castle said:

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm not sure all of those complaints are about it not being a specific item, but that real examples haven't been referenced. And thus, often what you end up with is not something that didn't exist, but which couldn't.

While those complaints are more common, not surprisingly the wide range of interests and expertise among the end users, I have seen complaints about models that are too generic too.

• tsroemi said:

This has gotten very annoying. I was so pleased when I saw the new car, as I've been looking to add a 1940s model to my fleet

Just in case you haven't seen them, 3DClassics over on Rendo has some vehicles that might suit your needs. Dreamland Models also has a few but they are older models and intended for Poser, so you'll have to update them with IRay shaders. I have not used any of these so I can't vouch for their quality (or not) just tossing out suggestions.

• Are the appliances from the Retro Apartment Props 2 set the reason this has an editorial license?  If it's just the appliances, I say just remove them from the set (mark it down to accomidate their removal) and make a new set for it.  I love the Retro Apartment and it's two prop sets, but I'm gonna have to pass on it.  And I really wanted it.  The second set has some beautiful pieces that make the whole thing imcomplete, sadly.

• Write Idea said:

Are the appliances from the Retro Apartment Props 2 set the reason this has an editorial license?  If it's just the appliances, I say just remove them from the set (mark it down to accomidate their removal) and make a new set for it.  I love the Retro Apartment and it's two prop sets, but I'm gonna have to pass on it.  And I really wanted it.  The second set has some beautiful pieces that make the whole thing imcomplete, sadly.

Yeah, that's why my purchases dropped off... I also have a lot of Retro Apartment, but I won't complete the set because I want the option to make professional, paid for images. Thus, there's no incentive for me to look at series of props/objects/etc anymore unless it's 100% out, because I don't want to risk having to pass on an important part of it because it happened to give someone at DAZ the skeevies and they slapped Editorial on it.

Also, they really, really, really need to add a filter or icon to all the Editorial assigned products. It dramatically increases the friction of purchasing on the store for me.

Oh, and while yes, if I bought something and then it changed to Editorial, I still get the old license, but again, without a good way to filter, I have no way of knowing, so again, my purchases have dropped off, even further than just the presence of the license. If they would simply just pull the product instead if it turned out they needed to change it, then I'd feel a little more comfortable on that score.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521
    They do. They did the editorial change once with Killmonger Hair, it wasn't taken well, they reverted it, withdrew it and since then have done the same with all such products.