A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,457
    edited December 2023

yeah you can still use Killmonger Hair just like any EL product but only for personal renders and not as an image you plan to sell in some form also you can't use it in an image in any contest you enter edit this may also include online comics if you do that and you get any money there via subscriptions or it appears on a site where people have to pay for anything

Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on
  • ANGELREAPER1972 said:

yeah you can still use Killmonger Hair just like any EL product but only for personal renders and not as an image you plan to sell in some form also you can't use it in an image in any contest you enter edit this may also include online comics if you do that and you get any money there via subscriptions or it appears on a site where people have to pay for anything

They can't restrict the license retroactively. That's the whole reason they pulled the product from the store in the first place. They couldn't keep track of who had a standard license and who didn't. My product library still says it has a standard license.

• LynnInDenver said:

Yes, you should still be able to use them... just be careful of the context, and be aware of the source material in terms of what you make with it with things like Killmonger Hair and Beard.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'm a bit confused because the hair is generic, I don't know what Killmonger is (I've just looked him up) - I could understand if it was a super specific look, like all of the knock-off WoW, Harley Quinn, Bloodbourne, Witcher etc outfits (none of which have EL licenses), but this is just a basic, real-world hairstyle I could see on anyone. I understand the name being copyrighted, but... the model itself? :/ Yikes.

• LynnInDenver said:

This is only compounded by there being no clear, obvious thing like an icon on store pages indicating it's EL. Yes, it's in the license box, but I was never used to looking at that section of the page, and I suddenly had to look every time.

The problem is that it's not a "License" box.  It's an "Optional License Add-Ons:" box.  People who aren't interested in those might not bother checking it.

There needs to be a an actual "License:" text right below the price.  Those of us using the DazDeals plugin with price history display enabled have the Optional License Add-Ons box pushed down, sometimes requiring scrolling to see it. And I seem to remember some people saying the Optional License Add-Ons box didn't show up on some mobile devices but I might be imagining that.

I'm still trying to train myself to take the extra effort to check the license but still get caught sometimes and have to request a refund for an item if it won't screw up the discounts I got on the order.

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,038
    edited December 2023

https://www.daz3d.com/stylized-car-02

This is listed as Editorial License Here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8508501#Comment_8508501

In the store it has the normal license and same as my library. I missed something?

Post edited by Imago on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,017

Imago said:

https://www.daz3d.com/stylized-car-02

This is listed as Editorial License Here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8508501#Comment_8508501

In the store it has the normal license and same as my library. I missed something?

Sorry, that was my fault. I went through this thread, and the car was mentioned there as having the editorial license. I didn't properly look at the license as it is. I've fixed the listing. Sorry!
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I'm to the point where I'm going to submit yet another ticket requesting a way to block editorial license items from my shopping experience.

Some of the vendors doing it, I've collected many products from before and 'was' following them. Now I'm starting to avoid those vendors entirely, which is really sad.

But it's hard, in a store like this, to notice whether or not something has that freaking license. I live in a tiny little neck of the woods and don't always notice that something is a direct knock-off. I can't have anything with that freaking license in my library. The library is Huge for a reason - need something, grab something and use it. I'll never remember which are which when the crunch is crunching!

What happened to the days of just changing it to avoid IP robbery?!!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

PedroC said:

Havos said:

What I find some what contradictory about these items, is the fact that we can not make money from them by including them in a render, but the PA and the store is allowed to profit from the sale of the model.

+1

Perhaps it would only make sense if a company wants to offer its fans a product in the store with the possibility for its followers to create images for personal use. And they keep the copyright rights to exploit the image of their products... (excessive hype?)... The rest is quite contradictory and meaningless.

Yes. And it Sucks!

BeeMKay said:

Sorry, that was my fault. I went through this thread, and the car was mentioned there as having the editorial license. I didn't properly look at the license as it is. I've fixed the listing. Sorry!

Thanks for your time! This thread is really helpful, no apologies are needed.

You just did what everyone fears to do, just a moment of distraction and you miss the licensing of the product. That's why we really need a proper filtering or something unmissable in the EL products page.

• I swear that in the twenty minutes or so while I was writing some comments to a friend about inconsistency of EL, the page for Classic Space Suit went from not having an EL statement on it to having one. I don't think I missed it the first time. I'm PRETTY sure I didn't miss it the first time. Anyway it has one now.

(And it's justified. If I, someone who has never actually watched the series, can say "Hey, these are the suits from Neon Genesis Evangelion," then everyone else can see the resemblance too. Especially since the PA has deliberately chosen Asuka and Rei's hairstyles for the two models.)

columbine said:

I swear that in the twenty minutes or so while I was writing some comments to a friend about inconsistency of EL, the page for Classic Space Suit went from not having an EL statement on it to having one. I don't think I missed it the first time. I'm PRETTY sure I didn't miss it the first time. Anyway it has one now.

(And it's justified. If I, someone who has never actually watched the series, can say "Hey, these are the suits from Neon Genesis Evangelion," then everyone else can see the resemblance too. Especially since the PA has deliberately chosen Asuka and Rei's hairstyles for the two models.)

But... Those suits are totally different from the Evangelion's PlugSuits... Only the color scheme is "reminiscent" of the anime, even the hairstyles are just "similar" but not identical.

It's more like that suit is from another work.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206

columbine said:

I swear that in the twenty minutes or so while I was writing some comments to a friend about inconsistency of EL, the page for Classic Space Suit went from not having an EL statement on it to having one. I don't think I missed it the first time. I'm PRETTY sure I didn't miss it the first time. Anyway it has one now.

I'm kind of on the opposite site of this. They do not particularly look like the suits from the show and if it wasn't for the first promo picture I would have never had that association at all. Might as well slap an editorial license on every bodysuit in the shop.

• Barubary said:

columbine said:

I'm kind of on the opposite site of this. They do not particularly look like the suits from the show and if it wasn't for the first promo picture I would have never had that association at all. Might as well slap an editorial license on every bodysuit in the shop.

Yeah, it takes having the characters and hair in the first promo to really make that connection and a quick look at the NGE suits shows that other than overall color this suit isn't even close.

• One more thing:

I don't like the editorial licenses any more than the rest of you do, and I'm with Dartanbeck et al on "Would it have been so hard just to alter the products a little to make EL unnecessary and save everybody this pain?"

Unfortunately, then we have the question of "how far do you have to alter something to avoid any risk of it looking like a recognizable item?" And in some cases is it even possible? I mean, we don't WANT EL slapped on everything that even looks vaguely like anything else ... this is why, at the very least, I think Daz needs to make their policy on what gets EL and why a LOT clearer.

But I also think that with the Classic Space Suit, the resemblance was INTENDED, deliberate ... or that hero image would not have been set up and styled the way it was.

• columbine said:

^%%$$% Didn't have it when I put it in the cart with other items and checked out but it does have it in my Product Library so from the time I put it in my cart added more to my cart and checked out they must have changed it 

• columbine said:

It was there when I looked this morning, four or five hours before your post - for once I noticed without needing to se a forum post.

• Richard Haseltine said:

columbine said:

It was there when I looked this morning, four or five hours before your post - for once I noticed without needing to se a forum post.

My receipt time was 07:38:45 UTC which is 0138 Central time. and when I put it in my cart it had a standard license.

I started loading my cart at 0115

So it had to have changed before I checked out as it shows an EL in my library

• more like inspired by and is kinda standard anime look not an exact copy probably not seen much anime cause if did then there are a lot more products in this store that be included hell even pirates and well technically the next version of Aiko and her ilk really

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

more like inspired by and is kinda standard anime look not an exact copy probably

Despite the promos implying Neon Genesis Evangelion, it turns out the design is fairly directly from Space Battleship Yamato.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,206

Matt_Castle said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

more like inspired by and is kinda standard anime look not an exact copy probably

Despite the promos implying Neon Genesis Evangelion, it turns out the design is fairly directly from Space Battleship Yamato.

Oh my, yeah, I gotta admit, that is a resemblence I very much DO see. Never mind about the EL, then.

ok I'm curious how would Daz react now if some creator created and sold here this version of these characters since they are now public domain would they still slap an editorial license on them? if not this is a great sales oppotunity for the toon creators that sell here 

The Original Version of Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse Have Entered the Public Domain

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521
    edited January 2

The original version of Mickey and Miinie have entered the public domain.

Anyone trying to exploit that though has to be extremely careful they don't use any elements deemed to be later additions to the character, because that's still enforceable. Disney will absolutely be looking for test cases they can jump on, win, and scare the bejeesus out of anyone else with, and thus effectively re-establish their copyright by making anyone else too nervous to dip their toes in the water.

Things like Mickey's iconic red shorts and yellow shoes? Not part of the original character - Steamboat Willie is a black and white cartoon.

I certainly wouldn't want to be amongst the first wave into the breach with this, because Disney will be looking out for people making mistakes that they can enforce.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,869

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

ok I'm curious how would Daz react now if some creator created and sold here this version of these characters since they are now public domain would they still slap an editorial license on them? if not this is a great sales oppotunity for the toon creators that sell here 

The Original Version of Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse Have Entered the Public Domain

The only version of Mickey Mouse that loses copyright is the mouse as he was drawn and used in that first cartoon Steamboat Willie. No other versions of Mickey lose copyright, and, more importantly, no version of him loses trademark status.

https://news.yahoo.com/mickey-mouse-now-public-domain-130029532.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67833411

well there is a Winnie The Pooh Blood and Honey horror movie and sequel coming don't if that means any too creators can create those characters to sell here abd not worry about an EL here BUT there is also a Mickey Mouse horror movie coming out called Mickey's Mouse Trap so few already jumping at these characters so ther's an oppotunity for few creators here to cash in and not have to worry hopefully about being slapped with an EL here

I can just imagine Joe Quick and Rawart to name a couple of artists coming with different versions unique versions but I don't want to encourage hint at them or others if daz would still hit them with the EL even if those versions are public domain still be cool to see what they came up with if they were inclined

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156
    edited January 2

Ah never mind. I looked again and see the item I referred to was corrected long ago. Thanks anyway.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 872

I would love to see some 60s cars which would be great for backgrounds etc ford anglia, austin A35 even an Aleggro just for the fun of it

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306
    edited January 5

lorraineopua said:

https://www.daz3d.com/supra-a90

Looks very nice. It is pity, that it is not usable for me. https://www.daz3d.com/supra-a90

Just wonder, if the Toyota logo would be removed could the car be used without editorial license.

Post edited by Artini on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited January 5

It might just be the Name Porsche Stinger GTR. Some elements of the model do look inspired by this Iconic Car. The Grill looks BMW. There is also a Kia Stinger GT. The body style looks like KIA. Then, when you do an image search, it's BMW. So I don't understand why it didn't get hit; I played it safe and didn't buy it.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on