Genesis 9

Comments

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    PerttiA said:

CHWT said:

I am 5'6". I am definitely below the average, which is approximately 5'8" for men in where I live. Now that G9 are generally shorter, I can see a whole market for rescaling existing props to accommodate the new shorties in the block, or the poor folks will have their feet dangling off the ground when they sit on any sofa or chair! *business opportunities*

Making stuff scaled to character dimensions is something invented in Poser... In DS, one should always use the real world scale and there would never be need to scale them again

One DS unit is 1cm

It's too complicated for me! I want a one click solution similar to the make art button! PAs need to gimme that button LOL!
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

nonesuch00 said:

The 3D modeler of Genesis 9 modeled what they saw.

People in far northern and far southern climes evolved to have shorter limbs and longer torsos as a defense response against exposure to the cold and eons of near starvation in those nutrient sparse far northern/far southern climes. If you are used to seeing longer longs and arms as normal among those groups now it's because you are used to seeing Madison Avenue & Hollywood outliers chosen for longer legs and longer arms then is historically typical because of improved nutrition. The torso doesn't enlongate nearly so much with improved nutrition. That, the elevator shoes, and deceiving camera angles chosen.

I guess that makes sense. I grew up in NYC and now live in LA and am used to seeing tall women with long legs IRL because many wannabe models/actors tend to move to these cities and then their offspring are tall and then they have kids who are also tall so it becomes more of the norm. When someone from a small town is tall and good looking, they are probably told they could be a model, and then they move to NYC or LA. What people see in magazines or on TV is what I see on a daily basis in the supermarket.. I personally am 5'8" with long legs so I guess we think what we see in real life and what we see In the mirror is the same for everyone, but it's really not. When I went to Milan or went to some parties in NYC or here in LA I felt like a tiny shrimp because of all super tall models. So I guess it's just what I'm used to. At 5'8" I consider myself average height, not tall at all! To me 5'7"-5'8" is average, 5'9" and above is tall and 5'6' and below is short. I'm talking about women. Strangely the average women here tend to be in general taller than the average men maybe because men traditionally have gotten jobs that don't depend on their physical appearance and the girls who move here are more likely interested in becoming actor/models. In any case the G8/G7 models look totally normal to me but the male Genesises are way too short, rarely taller than than females. I really prefer taller males and wish the stock male Genesises were several inches taller than the female so couple poses didn't have to adjusted so much. My personal choice would be making the Genesises separate again with a 6'2' male and 5'8" female. That would make things a lot easier for me for posing, but of course, everyone has different tastes in bodies and sizes...

• felisfelis Posts: 3,672

Wonderland said:

nonesuch00 said:

The 3D modeler of Genesis 9 modeled what they saw.

People in far northern and far southern climes evolved to have shorter limbs and longer torsos as a defense response against exposure to the cold and eons of near starvation in those nutrient sparse far northern/far southern climes. If you are used to seeing longer longs and arms as normal among those groups now it's because you are used to seeing Madison Avenue & Hollywood outliers chosen for longer legs and longer arms then is historically typical because of improved nutrition. The torso doesn't enlongate nearly so much with improved nutrition. That, the elevator shoes, and deceiving camera angles chosen.

I guess that makes sense. I grew up in NYC and now live in LA and am used to seeing tall women with long legs IRL because many wannabe models/actors tend to move to these cities and then their offspring are tall and then they have kids who are also tall so it becomes more of the norm. When someone from a small town is tall and good looking, they are probably told they could be a model, and then they move to NYC or LA. What people see in magazines or on TV is what I see on a daily basis in the supermarket.. I personally am 5'8" with long legs so I guess we think what we see in real life and what we see In the mirror is the same for everyone, but it's really not. When I went to Milan or went to some parties in NYC or here in LA I felt like a tiny shrimp because of all super tall models. So I guess it's just what I'm used to. At 5'8" I consider myself average height, not tall at all! To me 5'7"-5'8" is average, 5'9" and above is tall and 5'6' and below is short. I'm talking about women. Strangely the average women here tend to be in general taller than the average men maybe because men traditionally have gotten jobs that don't depend on their physical appearance and the girls who move here are more likely interested in becoming actor/models. In any case the G8/G7 models look totally normal to me but the male Genesises are way too short, rarely taller than than females. I really prefer taller males and wish the stock male Genesises were several inches taller than the female so couple poses didn't have to adjusted so much. My personal choice would be making the Genesises separate again with a 6'2' male and 5'8" female. That would make things a lot easier for me for posing, but of course, everyone has different tastes in bodies and sizes...

Well, according to the table over average heights provided by FSMCDesigns then men are  5'10" and women 5'4" in the US.

https://www.daz3d.com/in-vogue-poses-for-genesis-9

Are the corrective morphs on?

Looks like bones (human bones, not DAZ figure bones) missing at some joints, it creeps me out a little bit. And that's the biggest factor making me reluctant to fully embrace G9. I want an all-around figure that is more than just a pretty face.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803

CHWT said:

Looks like bones (human bones, not DAZ figure bones) missing at some joints, it creeps me out a little bit. And that's the biggest factor making me reluctant to fully embrace G9. I want an all-around figure that is more than just a pretty face.

I see your problem.
    I am really not happy at all with G9's mesh topology, which makes her limbs look like bended sausages.
    Becaus of exactly that topology, it will be hard to sculpt fixing JCMs into it.
    Even worse, if you wanted it real good, you've needed customized JCMs for every individual character's mesh anyway.

On the other hand, this model in the pose set, doesn't look too bad to me. 
    Elbows are a little meh, but her armpits are actually looking great.

CHWT said:

I see your problem.
    I am really not happy at all with G9's mesh topology, which makes her limbs look like bended sausages.
    Becaus of exactly that topology, it will be hard to sculpt fixing JCMs into it.
    Even worse, if you wanted it real good, you've needed customized JCMs for every individual character's mesh anyway.

On the other hand, this model in the pose set, doesn't look too bad to me. 
    Elbows are a little meh, but her armpits are actually looking great.

I agree, I've seen far more cringe worthy promos
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Thus far exactly one product has been released for Genesis 9, that I found myself going "Ooh, I want that!"

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

Having a base figure where every single part/limb is statistically average (presumably CDC data therefore all of the US and ignoring race) may well mean that the base figure looks 'weird' - I'd imagine not many real people out there are perfectly average in all measurements. That said, it is sensible for a base figure to be that average to act as a starting point from which all other characters can be derived from. Of course, it's up to the PA to bear this in mind when developing their characters.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited January 2023

If I were more into doing artwork that shows a lot of skin, including legs and arms, I would have reservations about G9, because those noodle bends...even after applying the correctives...oofta. But...I'm into chicks in armor...and not bikini mail, so G9 will work for me. So far, quite a bit of the clothing for G9 appears to be a lot more detailed than the simple tube stuff we've been getting for G8. So overall, I like G9. I need to find time to try and convert some of my custom characters over to G9 and see how they look...or perhaps try and recreate them from scratch on G9. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
    MelissaGT said:

If I were more into doing artwork that shows a lot of skin, including legs and arms, I would have reservations about G9, because those noodle bends...even after applying the correctives...oofta.

I agree. I do renders that do show the limbs so the shoulders, elbow pits and knee pits of G9 are all problematic (or should I say sometimes they look scary) to me.
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Still waiting for masculine content to drop. We've had a ton of female stuff, but in order for me to invest in g9 I really need a ton more morphs, a way to import my existing g8 characters and better male muscle morphs.

Yup, G9 is not that great for nudy renders. wink

edited January 2023

Yup, G9 is not that great for nudy renders. wink

You should NOT even let them show their uncovered arms and legs lol. I wouldn't say that G9 is busted, but G9 to me is more or less a bust (pretty face that's it)
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited January 2023

It's not only about rendering pinups or smut. It's going to look less than optimal having a character wearing a tank top and doing anything from household chores to brandishing any weapons. Or doing sports.

Well, every time the character does anything that might be showing any muscle tension and body movement.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,237

Serene Night said:

Still waiting for masculine content to drop. We've had a ton of female stuff, but in order for me to invest in g9 I really need a ton more morphs, a way to import my existing g8 characters and better male muscle morphs.

i imported all my g8 morphs to g9 pretty easily using the G8 Clone for G9 and using transfer utility (transfer morphs only, transfer Favorites only)

unfortunately, didnt transfer rigging, so just need to remember to 'adjust rigging to shape' after dial spinning any of my G8 morphs on G9.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited January 2023

Genesis 9 has very good male characters but Genesis 8.1 already gives me a lot of work to do.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • I admire one or two things about G9. But not many more than one or two.

The latest release of Freja, face is amazingly realistic, and could be a portrait of one of my cousins as she was 30 years ago.

The hairs, Soft Curls Long Hair and Soft Curls Ponytail are utterly convincing.

But... That's it for me beyond V9. I am simply unconvinced by the body really, and the elbow & shoulder joints. The majority women characters seem a little soft & fleshy without the sharp definition seen with some G8 characters (Freja is an exception, but V9 isn't) while the men seem rather androgenous to me. It seems as if sculptors are having a hard time working with the bodies. Heads, yes, the technique is there, but the body seems to be a bit of a work in progress. And non DAZ sculptors (eg mostdigitalcreations whom I'm picking out as one of a number, not to say they're worse than any other, because they aren't) seem to be struggling even more than DAZ PA's because of the reliance on HD to create things like rib-cage edge definition when it's no-longer there in the base mesh. Must be hard for non-DAZ PA's not having access to HD.

Regards,

Richard

lilweep said:

Serene Night said:

i imported all my g8 morphs to g9 pretty easily using the G8 Clone for G9 and using transfer utility (transfer morphs only, transfer Favorites only)

unfortunately, didnt transfer rigging, so just need to remember to 'adjust rigging to shape' after dial spinning any of my G8 morphs on G9.

I transferred the things I wanted to genesis 9 but I find native content works better, plus without the hd it isn't the same look.

• johnbpjohnbp Posts: 55

A male Genesis 9 I am working on... he dresses a bit odd but going for the dwarf look.   wink

Olaf.png
    1200 x 1080 - 889K
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I have more G3 and G8 characters than any one person needs, and I still collect more (yesterday's sale???!). I generally like idealized male and female characters or stylized/toonified ones -- that's the draw for me, but my library also has tons of "less model-like" figures. Someone analogized enjoying V8 characters to going to instagram for the idealized images, nevermind that the general public does not have the benefit of the filters/makeups used for the instagram photos. I think that probably fits me to the tee.

I have purchased V9 and M9 full bundles, every available shaping form for G9 and the toon heroes bundle, but surprisingly no other G9 figures. I really want to like them, but as others have said, G9 characters look doughy and often undefined and somewhat androgynous, especially the male figures. Some people have succeeded in fixing the male chest area of the base character, and creating more chiseled jawlines etc (for both male and femal), but I guess I'm not as great at tinkering with sliders as I ought to be, or G9 is simply harder for me to work with. I'm hoping PAs release more character to my liking because I do want to see and be part of what the next generation characters offer. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited January 2023

Bravo to Herschel Hoffmeyer for the release of HH Belle for Genesis 9.  https://www.daz3d.com/hh-belle-for-genesis-9

We need more products that address joint bends.  Note - this HH product is an exaggerated pinup character, but I am focusing on the joint corrections.  This fix for the knee joint is one step among the many necessary to get me to return to Genesis 9.  People have been complaining about Genesis 9 joints because they are a step backward from Genesis 8.  Distorted joints can be addressed.  So, Daz3D, please address them.

HH Belle genesis 9 knee joint.jpg
    472 x 263 - 23K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • franky85franky85 Posts: 112

Not sure this is the best thread to ask but what the heck - Is there any way to get morphs working on Genesis 8 hairs when fitted on Genesis 9 figures? I haven't tried too many of them but it seems every OOT hair I get to autofit on G9 will then completely ignore all of the hair morphs - the sliders do nothing.

You can't use autofit if you want the hair morphs to work. Try parenting the hair instead.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,695

Diomede said:

Bravo to Herschel Hoffmeyer for the release of HH Belle for Genesis 9.  https://www.daz3d.com/hh-belle-for-genesis-9

We need more products that address joint bends.  Note - this HH product is an exaggerated pinup character, but I am focusing on the joint corrections.  This fix for the knee joint is one step among the many necessary to get me to return to Genesis 9.  People have been complaining about Genesis 9 joints because they are a step backward from Genesis 8 2.  Distorted joints can be addressed.  So, Daz3D, please address them.

I concur. Looks like a job for Blackhearted. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,237
    edited January 2023

It's basically expected that character releases should have JCM support to improve their appearance at bends.  It's not that hard to add these for the main trouble areas, like shoulder up, arm up, forearm up, shin bend, arm down etc.  I dont have any G9 characters besides Rupert, and would be surprising if many of them werent adding custom JCMs.

Anyhow, if i was using G9, I think i would miss the JCM fixes from G8.  E.g., DMaster released the auto shape enhancer JCM fixes which are quite useful universal JCMs for G8, and i always turn them on. In certain poses they too had to be manually modulated, but for the most part did what they claimed to, which was improve the figure. Zev0 had some body creases and wrinkles HD JCMs for g8 which i also used all the time for added realism. Hopefully we can get some products like this for G9 soon

Post edited by lilweep on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Serene Night said:

You can't use autofit if you want the hair morphs to work. Try parenting the hair instead.

Autofit does not remove the morphs. I think it did once, but that was probably 10 years ago.

What autofit does do is remove any additional bones added to the hair. For short hairs there probably are not any added bones, so autofit should do a good job, however long hair may have extra bones, and those would be lost.

• I literally bought HH Belle because the figure comes with working correctives. I can always dial the body morph for this character too 100% and then use other morph packages to customize if I don't need pinup character physique for this particular shot... But the thing with limb and ribcage bending as they should is great.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,695

PixelSploiting said:

I literally bought HH Belle because the figure comes with working correctives. I can always dial the body morph for this character too 100% and then use other morph packages to customize if I don't need pinup character physique for this particular shot... But the thing with limb and ribcage bending as they should is great.

Yes. I'm trying to wait for a comprehensive bend corrective package to be delivered so I can keep my G9 morph count to a minimum. But who knows when or if that will be forthcoming.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

One might think that wouldn't be necessary if said correctives were incorporated into the base character. Or even better still, create a model that didn't need them, which G9 should have been.

fred9803 said:

[...} Or even better still, create a model that didn't need them, which G9 should have been.

I have doubts, that this is possible with the current consumers' technology and DAZ studio 4. xx. 
    I have seen even back in the 2000s tech demos, that address exactly these joint problems, but nothing seems to have ever made it into the consumer market.