Genesis 9

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,237

Masterstroke said:

fred9803 said:

[...} Or even better still, create a model that didn't need them, which G9 should have been.

I have doubts, that this is possible with the current consumers' technology and DAZ studio 4. xx. 
    I have seen even back in the 2000s tech demos, that address exactly these joint problems, but nothing seems to have ever made it into the consumer market.

I think Faux2d made a character in Daz Studio, rigged using 'helper bones' instead of corrective morphs (i think).  They showcased it on their youtube and it looked promising, but nothing ever came of it.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,695

lilweep said:

Masterstroke said:

fred9803 said:

[...} Or even better still, create a model that didn't need them, which G9 should have been.

I have doubts, that this is possible with the current consumers' technology and DAZ studio 4. xx. 
    I have seen even back in the 2000s tech demos, that address exactly these joint problems, but nothing seems to have ever made it into the consumer market.

I think Faux2d made a character in Daz Studio, rigged using 'helper bones' instead of corrective morphs (i think).  They showcased it on their youtube and it looked promising, but nothing ever came of it.

Other than G8's twisty biceps & unrealistic traps, I was content with its bends in most cases. Of course, now I have all manner of solutions for the other flaws, though still no fix for the biceps & traps. G9 sometimes reminds me of old toy action figures that had wire inside of plastic. I'd like to switch my main character to G9, but I have scenes where the arms and legs are uncovered.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,237

This was what Faux2D showcased. What ever became of it we shall never know.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    xyer0 said:

lilweep said:

Masterstroke said:

fred9803 said:

Other than G8's twisty biceps & unrealistic traps, I was content with its bends in most cases. Of course, now I have all manner of solutions for the other flaws, though still no fix for the biceps & traps. G9 sometimes reminds me of old toy action figures that had wire inside of plastic. I'd like to switch my main character to G9, but I have scenes where the arms and legs are uncovered.

My thoughts are the same.
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559
    edited January 2023

I think this is what we're talking about. It's hard to tell how well it works because of the overblown muscularity.

Edit - it's a video... click.

Post edited by fred9803 on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited February 2023

I was considering getting the G9 lingerie bundle with a coupon in a new banner but G9's body is as bad as G2! The elbow bend and weird fingers so far apart is exactly what I hate about G2. How have they gone so backwards with G9? Between these issues, the lack of a lip surface, the navel and nipple issues, I just can't see this generation lasting very long. 

5EC7996E-A829-4384-89A9-F4C63FAE7B68.jpeg
    1341 x 1223 - 921K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

I was considering getting the G9 lingerie bundle with a coupon in a new banner but G9's body is as bad as G2! The elbow bend and weird fingers so far apart is exactly what I hate about G2. How have they gone so backwards with G9? Between these issues, the lack of a lip surface, the navel and nipple issues, I just can't see this generation lasting very long. 

The shoulders, elbows and knees are never quite right. Even 3dsugar can't save it with the new G9 pose pack

Look at that hand! It's animalien.

Action Poses for Genesis 9 Feminine by: 3D Sugar, 3D Models by Daz 3D

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,933
    edited February 2023

MelissaGT said:

If I were more into doing artwork that shows a lot of skin, including legs and arms, I would have reservations about G9, because those noodle bends...even after applying the correctives...oofta. But...I'm into chicks in armor...and not bikini mail, so G9 will work for me. So far, quite a bit of the clothing for G9 appears to be a lot more detailed than the simple tube stuff we've been getting for G8. So overall, I like G9. I need to find time to try and convert some of my custom characters over to G9 and see how they look...or perhaps try and recreate them from scratch on G9. 

Funny that you mentioned that, as that's what I've been using G9 for! K.H.Image studio's Natural bend morphs can't come soon enough!

G9 PALADIN G8.1 FIGHTER 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on

Quite a quad. Never seen anything like this.

Z Spotlight Goddess Shape and Pose Mega Set for Genesis 9 by: Zeddicuss, 3D Models by Daz 3D

xyer0 said:

Z Spotlight Goddess Shape and Pose Mega Set for Genesis 9 by: Zeddicuss, 3D Models by Daz 3D

Holy F** that's horrifically bad, I didn't think it was THAT bad! 

xyer0 said:

PixelSploiting said:

I literally bought HH Belle because the figure comes with working correctives. I can always dial the body morph for this character too 100% and then use other morph packages to customize if I don't need pinup character physique for this particular shot... But the thing with limb and ribcage bending as they should is great.

Yes. I'm trying to wait for a comprehensive bend corrective package to be delivered so I can keep my G9 morph count to a minimum. But who knows when or if that will be forthcoming.

K.H.Image's natural bend morphs can't come soon enough, that's why I'm holding off buying V9! It's really horrifically bad for anything besides full clothing/armour, so I'm still using G8.1 until then!

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited February 2023

Until anything like Auto Shape Enchancer or Natural Bends comes up, I'm going to skip anything G9. I can't be always covering arms when characters are performing, well, very much anything.

Muscularity mophs and HH Belle help a bit, but what if other body types are needed?

In the latest thread someone posted render of the Angela 9 next to Jinx 8.1 and my first reaction was to compare how necks and shoulders look on both. G9 lost in this comparison, I'm afraid.

So I suppose for a while the only G9 I'm going to render is Belle and anything build on this as a base... But that's a limited scope. 

Post edited by PixelSploiting on

takezo_3001 said:

xyer0 said:

PixelSploiting said:

I literally bought HH Belle because the figure comes with working correctives. I can always dial the body morph for this character too 100% and then use other morph packages to customize if I don't need pinup character physique for this particular shot... But the thing with limb and ribcage bending as they should is great.

Yes. I'm trying to wait for a comprehensive bend corrective package to be delivered so I can keep my G9 morph count to a minimum. But who knows when or if that will be forthcoming.

K.H.Image's natural bend morphs can't come soon enough, that's why I'm holding off buying V9! It's really horrifically bad for anything besides full clothing/armour, so I'm still using G8.1 until then!

We both know how long it takes K.H.Image to release a morph set. Genesis 9 suggests why Genesis 1's run was only 20 months. Is 20 months long enough for K.H.Image to release a set?

edited February 2023

If only KHI wasn't so enigmatic, we could get an ETA, if at all, though they'd be a fool not to make a product as G9 despirately needs it; so they could really make some bank on it because most will want their morphs!

G9 really has the worst JCM bends out of the entirety of the Daz generation, as well as poser's!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • Well, G9 needs urgent triage because it looks like it's not popular anywhere outside of the Daz own store. Whilst Daz does not have to care about what unofficial vendors are doing, usually the other stores are good way to see what's popular.

takezo_3001 said:

If only KHI wasn't so enigmatic, we could get an ETA, if at all, though they'd be a fool not to make a product as G9 despirately needs it; so they could really make some bank on it because most will want their morphs!

G9 really has the worst JCM bends out of the entirety of the Daz generation, as well as poser's!

I think Alyson and a few others hold the crown for worst bends. But I never imagined that we'd be in this situation. Quick, the US economy's about to tank, release a new figure! 

xyer0 said:

We both know how long it takes K.H.Image to release a morph set. Genesis 9 suggests why Genesis 1's run was only 20 months. Is 20 months long enough for K.H.Image to release a set?

Lol, I would not wait that long and will give up buying anything else for G9, F** knows I already spent too much as it is on 'ole noodle-limbs here, who's idea was it to truncate this character's JCM morphs anyway? :P

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited February 2023

By the way... I'll see your weird quad and I raise you even better elbows:

The main culprit for G9, I think, is more uniform quad-based topology. Which I don't think was justified. Main differences between G8M and G8F geometries were in chest and buttocks. Not in arms and legs.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on

xyer0 said:

takezo_3001 said:

I think Alyson and a few others hold the crown for worst bends. But I never imagined that we'd be in this situation. Quick, the US economy's about to tank, release a new figure! 

LOL, never tried Alyson, but yeah this is posette-level bad!

The intentions for strong content creation for G9 may have been good, but the execution is just, bad... I'm usually one to champion new figures but this is just hard to do at this point! 

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited February 2023

Me either. I am completely skipping G9. Too bad for all the hard work no doubt that has gone into it by well wishing people. I bought quite a lot of G8 for hundreds of $$. My wallet certainly hasn't spend a dime on G9 beyond a few starter items.

It just hasn't got the quality that I was looking for or expecting. Anatomically there are many issues still, as this thread points out. Nothing to leave G8 for in general.My biggest let down is the skin rendering which is virtually the same. In the realism thread we spend ages discussing the issues.

Tech wise DAZ Studio is really starting to lag behind now, and every passing day DAZ Studio 5 isn't coming out or something revolutionary, it will only get worse.

Post edited by Paintbox on

takezo_3001 said:

xyer0 said:

Lol, I would not wait that long and will give up buying anything else for G9, F** knows I already spent too much as it is on 'ole noodle-limbs here, who's idea was it to truncate this character's JCM morphs anyway? :P

Victoria 8 was released 2017 JUN 15. K.H.Image V8 Bends was released 2018 OCT 11. Almost 16 months. G8F Bends came out over a year later.

• xyer0 said:

Last time I saw that level of bulge on the front of a thigh was with Victoria 3. It wasn't good then. It's doubly awful now that the preceding generation didn't show it.

Regards, Richard

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803
    edited February 2023

Genesis 9

cons:
    Don't like the Genesis 1 like unisex mesh at all.
    Don't like the topology
    Don't like to have Mouth and Eyes being seperate figures
    Don't like the need for HD morphs
    Don't like the Joint bendings
    No improvement in the grouping
    I prefer IRAY uber over IRAY PBR

pros:
    Expressions are an improvement
    Proportions are more realistic

I am skipping G9. I tried so many times to get something nice out oh her. No way, it just doesn't click. 
    I just cannot convince myself liking this product.

(Seems like my favorite character vendor might be helpless with her too)

Post edited by Masterstroke on

xyer0 said:

PixelSploiting said:

This creates demand for G9 clothing.

By the way... I'll see your weird quad and I raise you even better elbows:

The main culprit for G9, I think, is more uniform quad-based topology. Which I don't think was justified. Main differences between G8M and G8F geometries were in chest and buttocks. Not in arms and legs.

You made my day!
  • MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

These images of G9 lack of JCMs and ackward poses are quite entertaining, and makes me appreciate my G8 characters more, but I doubt that was what Daz was aiming for with this new generation. To me this whole G9 generation seems like a result of their poor communication with their customer base. I read forums quite often, but I don't remember anyone asking for the "upgrades" they did, like 8k maps or multigender figures. There was an entire thread full of requests before G9 was released, and I think none of popular ones was in the new figure, so that makes me think that it's actually true that Daz personal does not read these forums. So how to make your voice heard then? Well, even Daz reads the bottom line, so only way to make a statement is by your wallet. I haven't bought anything related to G9, and I hope at some point Daz sees the error in their ways and starts reading the forums, and making figures and tech upgrades their customers want. 

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

xyer0 said:

Not necessarily a G9 issue though, simply a lack JCMs for whatever morphs were used here. I had a bulge like that in my character and QA made me fix it with a JCM.
  • vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643
    edited February 2023

I did a comparison as best I could for G8 vs G9 in just one pose with the base characters. (G8 on left, G9 on right)

I used the G8M base, and the G9 base with the masculine skin and shape, and tried to match the pose as best as I could.

I honestly cannot decide on which I like better. Except the G9 face does look more natural to me, and I'm thinking DAZ did a good job on the G9 face to make it more believable and less like the mannequin look of previous gens. However I can't decide if the G9 masculine shape really gives it a "male" appearance. It doesn't quite fit into the male or female realm completely? Perhaps the custom figures for G9 move that boundary.

I was expecting to see vast improvements in G9... but if I cannot decide which I like better, then maybe I will stick mostly to G8 which I've invested thousands of dollars in, because I just can't afford this anymore. surprise

G8 vs G9 Upper Body.jpg
    800 x 640 - 248K
    Post edited by vonHobo on

bluejaunte said:

xyer0 said:

Not necessarily a G9 issue though, simply a lack JCMs for whatever morphs were used here. I had a bulge like that in my character and QA made me fix it with a JCM.

The morphs used were Daz Originals Genesis 9 Starter Essentials. If even those don't have adequate JCMs (CBSs), then OK whatever.

{Are you in the market for another Noemie? I hope so.}