Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,914

NorthOf45 said:

Taoz said:

NorthOf45 said:

Another DIM update...

Why does DIM refresh (still takes several minutes), then update the software, then refresh all over again, with all the accompanying disk thrash? Seems like lots of wasted effort.

I seem to have noticed that the second refresh after the app has updated is shorter, but can't say for sure. 

Memory/Disk cache. If I do another refresh soon after, it always takes less time, regardless.

Could be - I hadn't considered the second scan a repeat of the first before reading this thread, since it didn't make any sense to scan twice.  Are you sure that's actually what it does?  

• PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 666
    edited November 2023

Since the lastest update to DIM it keeps wanting to install "Scene Builder for Daz Studio" even tho I've installed the lasted update to Scene Builder at least 10+ times in the last few days

Post edited by Platnumk on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,463

Taoz said:

NorthOf45 said:

Taoz said:

NorthOf45 said:

Another DIM update...

Why does DIM refresh (still takes several minutes), then update the software, then refresh all over again, with all the accompanying disk thrash? Seems like lots of wasted effort.

I seem to have noticed that the second refresh after the app has updated is shorter, but can't say for sure. 

Memory/Disk cache. If I do another refresh soon after, it always takes less time, regardless.

Could be - I hadn't considered the second scan a repeat of the first before reading this thread, since it didn't make any sense to scan twice.  Are you sure that's actually what it does?  

Oh, yes. I watch the Task Manager (disk activity, and details), and have used Resource Monitor to see exactly what is going on. I rarely do a second scan under the same status (like if I purchase something and am still online and don't want to wait until the next time I log in), but I have no choice when changing Online<->Offline. DIM still scans everyting, but if some are still in memory and have not changed, it does go faster. If I do it much later, the cache is stale, and it takes the usual amount of time.

• The What's new/Check out message is extra annoying 
    (black on orange with white on red: really? Has the reputable color style before just been too bland?)

It's repeatedly upcoming even if visited and/or closed.So if the intention is to urge users to "work offline", it'll work.

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 533
    edited November 2023

Is there a way to remove all the Poser Core Installers from showing up in DIM? In the filters I unchecked everything related to Poser, but I still see the duplicates entries:

DIM UI

It's kind of annoying to have to go through and check only the DS ones and skip the Ps ones (I'm assuming Ps stands for Poser).

Ps vs DS.png
    1621 x 1063 - 261K
    Post edited by Shimrian on
  • Download Filters at top-left wil let you unchecked unnwanted options.

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 533
    edited November 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Download Filters at top-left wil let you unchecked unnwanted options.

As mentioned in the post, I already found filters and unchecked everything related to Poser. After your message I went back and also unchecked Connect Available under Daz Connect Tags. I didn't realize that would allow poser to show up. It's fixed now, thanks!

Edit: also thanks for the super fast response. That was quick!

Post edited by Shimrian on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

I would be careful about ignoring older PS files. Yesterday I was checking older files and found that the DS file of Japanese Tea Garden by Merlin needs the PS file and had to open DIM and download it again. This is also true of add-on texture files for sets that have been updated but they have not been and still point to the original Poser files, so the PS set needs to be installed so they will work.

New files of course are not a problem, but those from the early days may need those PS files.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,811

memcneil70 said:

....New files of course are not a problem, but those from the early days may need those PS files.

For a lot of older products (before 2011 or so), the Poser files are the main file, while the DS file is library links and shaders...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,937
    edited November 2023

WandW said:

memcneil70 said:

....New files of course are not a problem, but those from the early days may need those PS files.

For a lot of older products (before 2011 or so), the Poser files are the main file, while the DS file is library links and shaders...

Yes, for the most part, if your Ps zip is bigger than your DS zip then both are needed......at least I believe that's how it was. It's been a long time since I offered Poser files or even used a product that has both. 

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,121
    edited December 2023

Ads are appearing in DIM again now, but they can be closed.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 160046.jpg
    1029 x 532 - 85K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • The bottom one can be minimised but ti will return, as I recall (I had only a few items to download last night so it wasn't in the way and didn't get closed).

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

Shimrian said:

Is there a way to remove all the Poser Core Installers from showing up in DIM? In the filters I unchecked everything related to Poser, but I still see the duplicates entries:

DIM UI

It's kind of annoying to have to go through and check only the DS ones and skip the Ps ones (I'm assuming Ps stands for Poser).

You may also need to uncheck older versions of DS (everything but DS4.5+), as they often can't use the DS version. 

I'm been have a a wierd problem with DIM on MacOS,  Even tho I have already installed the Updates for Scene Builder (dated 19/10/2023) & Daz Studio Beta (dated 15/12/2023)  DIM still wants to down load the same updates every time I run DIM.

Thing I've tried -

Un-installing Scene Builder & Daz Studio Beta and Re-Download & Installing Via DIM (DIM still doesn't remember that they have already been installed)

Manually downloading the install files & installed via DIM (DIM still doesn't remember that they have already been installed)

Completed full database reset & Tried again (DIM still doesn't remember that they have already been installed)

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 22.59.11.png
    2000 x 1344 - 2M

There have been several Public Build updates this month, including a new one (4.22.0.14) today. Maybe this is really a new version for you, not a repeat.

barbult said:

There have been several Public Build updates this month, including a new one (4.22.0.14) today. Maybe this is really a new version for you, not a repeat.

Thats the problem,  I've already installed the latest update yet DIM want to install it again & again & again and so on 

OK, sorry I wasn't able to help.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,140

Platnumk said:

barbult said:

Thats the problem,  I've already installed the latest update yet DIM want to install it again & again & again and so on 

DIM creates a manifest file on install that has the specifics - I don't know where this is saved on a Mac, but it looks like DIM isn't able to replace the existing manifest with the new one. Check the log and see if there is anything about permissions as well.

edited December 2023

barbult said:

Not sure if its connected but this started happening after installing Daz Studio 4.22.0.1 Pro,  1st it was just the Scene Builder update that it was happening too, but now its both scene builder & Daz Studio Beta.

I'm also wondering is its connected to the problem i'm having with the new templates feature not working as well.

Post edited by Platnumk on

Platnumk said:

barbult said:

Not sure if its connected but this started happening after installing Daz Studio 4.22.0.1 Pro,  1st it was just the Scene Builder update that it was happening too, but now its both scene builder & Daz Studio Beta.

I'm also wondering is its connected to the problem i'm having with the new templates feature not working as well.

The templates is a separate DIM download, Default Templates for DAZ Studio 4.21+. Have you installed that? What problem are you having with the templates?

barbult said:

Platnumk said:

barbult said:

The templates is a separate DIM download, Default Templates for DAZ Studio 4.21+. Have you installed that? What problem are you having with the templates? 

Yep,  I've installed the Default Templates but they don't show up at all,  the items show in the smart content but not in the new scene dialog 

I wonder if it is a Mac specific problem. The templates show up for me in the New Scene dialog, but I use Windows 10. Honestly, though, after playing with them for a bit when they first showed up, I've never looked at them again. I didn't find them useful. Perhaps if I created my own, I might be more satisfied. This is what I see. The highlighted item is the scene file that I have defined as my startup file for a new scene.

Do you get any errors in the Daz Studio log or in the DIM log or the DIM Helper log related to these problems?

Screenshot 2023-12-16 200407.jpg
    1313 x 891 - 288K

barbult said:

I wonder if it is a Mac specific problem. The templates show up for me in the New Scene dialog, but I use Windows 10. Honestly, though, after playing with them for a bit when they first showed up, I've never looked at them again. I didn't find them useful. Perhaps if I created my own, I might be more satisfied. This is what I see. The highlighted item is the scene file that I have defined as my startup file for a new scene.

Do you get any errors in the Daz Studio log or in the DIM log or the DIM Helper log related to these problems?

It seams that DIM has a problem of opening 2 json files

Open Settings File Failed - The file could not be opened: /Volumes/DAZ3D Library/My DAZ 3D Library/InstallManagerFileRegister.json (checked file permissions and it has full read/write access)

Extract File Failed - : /Volumes/DAZ3D Library/My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_13176_Default_Resources_for_DAZ_Studio.dsa  (checked file permissions and it has full read/write access)

Maybe @Totte can advise. He is a very experienced Mac user and Daz PA (Code 66).
    Submitting a help request might help, but the response has been so slow for a long time, that I am not hopeful about that route. It couldn't hurt to try, though.

Hmmm, it looks like you have had DIM problems before. A google search for "InstallManagerFileRegister.json" turned up your ancient thread. I wonder if this problem could be similar. I don't think I will be able to help.

barbult said:

Hmmm, it looks like you have had DIM problems before. A google search for "InstallManagerFileRegister.json" turned up your ancient thread. I wonder if this problem could be similar. I don't think I will be able to help.

The stangest thing is that it only happening to these 2 perticular updates as everything else seams to install just fine.  Thanks for trying anyway :) 

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,911

Have you tried to remove those items in DIM, then manually remove the DIM packages before downloading again?
    I've had a similar issue once, and that solved the problem.

Totte said:

Have you tried to remove those items in DIM, then manually remove the DIM packages before downloading again?
    I've had a similar issue once, and that solved the problem.

Yep,  Tried that multiple times,  what I have just discovered is that when It installs Scene Builder iot doesn't create the Manifest File in  /Installmanager/ManifestFiles

It is Scene Builder for Public Beta or Scener Builder (for release version) that is causing this?

edited December 2023

Where is your   InstallManager/ManifestFiles located? Is it at /Users/Shared/DAZ 3D/?

Post edited by Totte on