Expanding Rendertimes is an Improvement?

Comments

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited September 2015
    daveleitz said:

At least I learned about progressive rendering in this topic.  Iray reignited my interest in my DAZ hobby, but it also had the unintended consequence of making me want to learn to use 3delight (finally blush).

Well Iray is better in quallity than 3Delight as you can see in the galleries but I think it will have longer rendertimes.

Post edited by cosmo71 on
  • cosmo71 said:
    daveleitz said:

At least I learned about progressive rendering in this topic.  Iray reignited my interest in my DAZ hobby, but it also had the unintended consequence of making me want to learn to use 3delight (finally blush).

Well Iray is better in quallity than 3Delight as you can see in the galleries but I think it will have longer rendertimes.

Iray does for me now what I used to attempt in Blender with Cycles a while back.  That's awesome, btw.  However, I've since come to appreciate the abilities of the biased rendering approach, which is what game engines use.  I'm fine with the fakery, so long as the results look pleasing.  Now if only we could have near real time rendering using Direct X 12 in DAZ Studio...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    daveleitz said:

Now if only we could have near real time rendering using Direct X 12 in DAZ Studio...

So you'd do away with the Mac version of Studio?

• mjc1016 said:
    daveleitz said:

Now if only we could have near real time rendering using Direct X 12 in DAZ Studio...

So you'd do away with the Mac version of Studio?

Last time I owned a Mac, it ran System 7, lol!  Ok, so there should also be an OpenGL option, too.  I think that's what the Playstation 4 uses.  Point is, 4k 60 fps gaming is on the horizon with the latest GPUs, so wouldn't it be nice to get in while the technology matures?

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited September 2015

@ Morgan: Well shut my mouth! I don't know where I got this idea from, but I just tested this out and behold, shadow bias does do stuff when using raytrace. I thought raytracing, by definition, made shadow bias irrelivant.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    Jim said:

@ Morgan: Well shut my mouth! I don't know where I got this idea from, but I just tested this out and behold, shadow bias does do stuff when using raytrace. I thought raytracing, by definition, made shadow bias irrelivant.

hmm, I do not no exactly, that is what I was told.

edited September 2015

Here is the scene that I have loaded yesterday and with which I was able to do renders and spotrenders. I load the scene tomorrow morning and do a spotrender and that was the result today: spot render after loading the scene without changing something.

error.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 241K
    edited September 2015

oh no if you render with shadow on raytrace the shadow bias have a great incluence of the result the lower the value the more accurate is the shadow but it has influence of your rendertime.

edited September 2015

to my post with the image, have cleared the scene and load the scene again, and now the same result as yesterday at the beginning, the timer runs and runs and runs and nothing happens.

I guess if I clear the scene again and load it a third time then everything will be okay, like yesterday.

Really, older studio versions also has had their problems, but nothing like that.

Timer is now at 11 minutes without a single rendered pixel.

As written, the same scene was okay yesterday and nothing has changed compared to yesterday except the date of the day. Just loaded the scene, first the error shown in the image I have uploaded and after a second load of the scene the timer thing I had yestderday at the beginning.

Spotrender canceld at timer : 13 minutes and no pixel renderd. The same scene renderd yesterday took just 2 minutes (progressive render of on) and the first pixel got renderd, now 13 minutes and nothing.

third try but it seems that it will be the same. That isn`t funny anymore. No 5 minutes rendertime without any pixel renderd. I will now close DS 4.8, open it again, load the scene and will have a look what happens doing a spotrender.

Same result timer is at 7 minutes now and nothing happens, render in % 0. As written, before saving the scene yesterday I have done a spotrender which is equal in all kinds with the spotrender I do right now, yesterday before saving the scene the spotrender took 5 minutes in whole, now it took 9. Same values, same lights, same rendersettings, same camera angle and values everything is equal.

It looks like you are not getting the brickyard correctly populated. 

That's where the shaders that are compiled from ShaderMixer bricks (or other compiled at render time ones) are put.  Interrupting the process can cause an incomplete or otherwise flawed shader to be there.  After the first time rendered/spot render they will probably be reused, until the scene is cleared.  That's one of the things slowing down that first time through. 

Everytime you close Studio or clear the scene, those files are wiped, along with any 'optimized' images in the temp folder, any caches/shadowmaps/pointclouds/etc.  All of that has to be generated BEFORE actual rendering will start...but since a lot of it is reused, renders AFTER the first one are faster...but that first one does have to be done, at a snail's pace.

Now as to what has changed that sometimes all of that seems to take forever...I have no idea.  But it's NOT 3DL related. When dumping a scene to a RIB file for use in the standalone version of 3DL, the run of that file does all of those steps in a fraction of the time Studio does.

mjc1016 said:

It looks like you are not getting the brickyard correctly populated. 

That's where the shaders that are compiled from ShaderMixer bricks (or other compiled at render time ones) are put.  Interrupting the process can cause an incomplete or otherwise flawed shader to be there.  After the first time rendered/spot render they will probably be reused, until the scene is cleared.  That's one of the things slowing down that first time through. 

Everytime you close Studio or clear the scene, those files are wiped, along with any 'optimized' images in the temp folder, any caches/shadowmaps/pointclouds/etc.  All of that has to be generated BEFORE actual rendering will start...but since a lot of it is reused, renders AFTER the first one are faster...but that first one does have to be done, at a snail's pace.

Now as to what has changed that sometimes all of that seems to take forever...I have no idea.  But it's NOT 3DL related. When dumping a scene to a RIB file for use in the standalone version of 3DL, the run of that file does all of those steps in a fraction of the time Studio does.

that is clear to me, but DAZ should think about their software or if they use other shaders for their products, so it is right now It is a kills nerves.

edited September 2015

Well optimizing the images starts right after the scene is loaded, if you render or not does make no difference on that. So if you load the scene and wait some minutes every image should be optimized but the result for the rendertime is the same, it took to much time, so simple is that, I do not remember that with the old skin shaders such problem was caused even if you use elite human surface shader like I did. Sure also these shaders need more rendertime than normal shaders but not that much.

edited September 2015

If that is correct what you w´have written, that means everytime you change your scene by loading another character into it you have to wait and wait and wait and wait...all that is a slow down and that is my criticism and in my opinion no improvement.

edited September 2015

And...here it comes...a spotrender took 7-8 minutes, the next spotrender of the same area right in line to the first took 10 and nothing has changed. That I do not understand

edited September 2015

I do not come close to the renderimtes I had yesterday, I am far away from them. yesterday 2 minutes until the actual render starts and now 7-8 and it seems that it does not matter how often you render. I do not reach the rendertimes from yesterday.

So enough for today whith G3F and G2M and stuff like this.

Optimizing images...the first time is done on scene loading...but change a shader/light then some will be reoptimized.  Also, for things like adding another model...it usually doesn't redo everything, just what's added.  But major light or shader changes can trigger a complete redo (so can switching to a scripted render).

As to the wild swings in times...there has to be something else going on, because I don't see that.  It's usually long wait for the first time...shorter after that and consistant.

One thing I did notice, with this version of Studio...it drops to single threaded mode for some things.  So on a 4 processor core system, that means it's only using 1/4 of what it can/should be using...which probably translates to taking 3 or 4 times as long as it should.

edited September 2015

hmm, well, I cleared the scene and now load my V4 Dixie character with the elite human surface shader, that will work much better. Don`t want to spend more nerves on this right now, maybe next week or if I have a new machine, maybe next year or never.

The thing is everytime you have changed something in hope you optimized your rendertime a bit you have to wait and wait and wait to see if the result is better, minutes after minutes and in whole hours after hours and for that I have no time.

edited September 2015

have to wait anyway, right now there are not enough clothes out there for GF3 or G2F that I like, same to the hair and the converters...well.

edited September 2015

ha, same light, camera and rendersettings on v4 with elite human surface shader and natasha elite skin, rendertime 2.5 minutes first spotrender compared to g3f no matter what skin (everytime the same  with the skins I have) up to 10 minutes or more until somethings happens (render then not finished) for the first render with the same settings.

Is it easy to change the shaders?

edited September 2015

second spotrender of the same area less than 2 minutes and...as written with the equal settings using on g3f and the elite skins are also really good and high detailed.

So an shader issue with the new generation figures.

• cosmo71 said:

second spotrender of the same area less than 2 minutes and...as written with the equal settings using on g3f and the elite skins are also really good and high detailed.

Had you zeroed the HD morphs of G3F?

edited September 2015

Granted it's a small image...but I ran this in just under 3 minutes...

cobra2.png
    800 x 640 - 679K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    cosmo71 said:

No, because yesterday I also have used some and that was no problem.

as written, it was a saved scene that I have just loaded nothing else, I totally have no clue.

edited September 2015
    cosmo71 said:

cosmo71 said:

So, Scene loaded, all HD morphs at zero, no HD texture as I know and the pre render calculation for g3f takes 15 minutes at that time and is still running whithout any pixel rendered. I post an image I have rendered today with a V4.2 character and elite human surface shader + trans maps and reflection in the scene and shadow bias at 0.1, this render tooks in whole 14 minutes to render. Same lights and render settings I also use on G3F, rendered both in 3Delight

DX - Somewhere everywhere.jpg
    1650 x 875 - 247K

Is it easy to kick the AoA shader into the trash can and apply the elite human surface shader?

first try to render 18 minutes than closed the render

and start a second try that took 4 minutes

a third try it took 3 minutes

that I do not understand. Any answer?

other question, is it possible to convert also the m4 genital texture to g2m genitals?