Female poses are so oversexualized

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    kyoto kid said:

...to fix the swayback, I dial in a bit of "youth posture:" from Zevo's Growing Up morphs as it adjusts the pelvic angle as well as the back without affecting the legs or upper torso.

really?   thanks!!

• There is pelvic tilt and then there is spinal issues...=-) No one's spine is quite like the DAZ female spine. It is a typical cartoon/anime/comic stance for women but quite exaggerated beyond the human female norm.

• There is pelvic tilt and then there is spinal issues...=-) No one's spine is quite like the DAZ female spine. It is a typical cartoon/anime/comic stance for women but quite exaggerated beyond the human female norm.

And yet without it, DAZ tends to not take posekits.

• I think the problem (for me) with many of these poses is that the figure is, well, posing for the camera. What I need is people standing/walking/sitting/acting naturally. For that reason, most pose sets are of little use to me, so I don't but them. I do make sure I buy any "normal" pose sets such as:

Thanks for the tip about the coffee shop set at Rendo, that looks really useful.

• Yes the subtle poses, I forgot those. Those are very well done as well.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited September 2015

I don't think I've ever come across a pose preset that I didn't have to adjust to make it look right. Probably because of the way I morph my character shapes. I use them exclusively as a rough base from which to create my own poses.

I'm constantly on the lookout for crawling-on-all-fours poses though as its seldom ever done by pose creators and its the only pose area that I'm lacking in. I suppose that might qualify as an overly sexualized pose to some.

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

The way I see posers (and morphs, for that matter) is saving me a lot of work getting in the rough ballpark of where I want, and then I can shave it down to what I really want.

Which is useful. I just picked up a bunch of ethnic morphs that I will probably never use as-is, but I regard as well-worth the price of saving me 20 minutes each time dialing a dozen different things.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited September 2015

I think the problem (for me) with many of these poses is that the figure is, well, posing for the camera. What I need is people standing/walking/sitting/acting naturally. For that reason, most pose sets are of little use to me, so I don't but them. I do make sure I buy any "normal" pose sets such as:

Thanks for the tip about the coffee shop set at Rendo, that looks really useful.

Even the subtle is not so subtle - standing on toes; take a look around you Daz. It happens, but the ratio is way off the pose availability.

I just hope the next pro pack doesn't have another load of repeated poses; kind of removes value.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited September 2015

Yeah, they can be great time savers. I never try to create a pose from scratch - it'd take too long.

What annoys me a bit though is how many times I see the same pose, or something very similar, appear in multiple pose sets. I have sooo many variations of the over-used female-doing-nothing-in-a-pointless-sexy-standing pose... they seem to comprise about 60% of every pose product set I see. If someone is going to create a pose set for sale my advice would be to take a look around at whats already available and then try to offer something different. Think about whether your poses look functional, or do they just look pretty but meaningless? Does the character look like they're actually doing something or reacting to a situation, or do they look like they're just posing for the camera?

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

U

jestmart said:

j Cade the pelvis tilts forward in adult females, the amount of tilt varies with it usually being less with athletic females but it is always there, so your fix is actually a break.  And speaking of pelvic tilt, the pelvis should tilted sideways so that which ever leg has the most weight on it that side is higher.

Ummm... I am an adult woman. Also, I was a music (vocal) major in college so posture was kind of something I learned about. Protip: if you can adjust your posture such that you're an inch taller, you have bad posture. I can also put all my weight on one leg and not have my pelvis move at all from side to side either; actually its super easy. What's hard is bending my spine as much as the "default" pose that takes actual effort on my part. Aren't women amazing?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

had a lot of fun with the rude poses angel

• The best natural poses I've come across are the Saltaor's Coffee Break series over at Rendo. Good standing poses and a lot of other ones. Just wish I could use them with G2/G3.

I just wanted to de-lurk long enough to say "thanks" to you for posting the reference to the "Coffee Break" poses.  I don't recall seeing them before.  M4, V4, and I are grateful.  I'd just been grumbling about the lack of nice poses for M4 lately (he rarely gets loaded in Poser despite the fact that I have some really cool outfits for him).  It was really nice, too, to get some more natural looking poses for V4 in the bargin because I really don't render that many "pinups" and other scantily clad girls.  LOL

• I use male poses and buy natural poses where I can.  Otherwise I have to use the buy/adapt methodology quite a bit.  But then, I also have to use a fair amount of sexy poses, and so do a lot of vendors; that's what brings in the money.  It's another issue where the forum's protests and my own preferences are not in line with what pays in our market (along with the constant "why not more male stuff" complaints).

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited September 2015

Greetings,

I have a number of...seductive, or outright smex-ualized poses (yes, I've bought some of the hamelon sets from Renderosity.  In my meager defense, they were very heavily advertised...)

But as I try to make normal scenes, I do find, even with the crazy number of pose sets (intentionally smexy or not) that have fallen into my lap over the years, I have a very limited set of useful poses.  It's somewhat worse when I try to render characters like Skyler, and even the subtle or otherwise normal poses have a 'supermodel posing' air to them that's hard to make go away.  Sorry, someone playing in a field doesn't pose their hand 'just so', like that. :)

Anyway, I appreciate the references to other sets folks have passed along, and I hope for more of that!  I know it's not what sells, but it's still useful.

--  Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • Fine!

Let me see what I can pull together. It's not like I don't have characters to use for examples.

• I think it might help if more pose sets had the upper/lower body, hands, head and feet all seperate. Then bits and pieces could be used of different poses to make a more natural looking stance. But I'm sure that would be nightmarishily difficult to do.

• Could poses be made more... Unisex. IE suitable for both characters? Like some were for genesis.? This might help not making the female ones so sexy. So many times I miss Genesis. =-/

• I think it might help if more pose sets had the upper/lower body, hands, head and feet all seperate. Then bits and pieces could be used of different poses to make a more natural looking stance. But I'm sure that would be nightmarishily difficult to do.

Not really. You can choose to exclude bodyparts when saving both in Studio and Poser. That's how Inronam13 gets three or four hundred poses out of a base of thirty. Depending on how fine you want to cut it, you could get thousands out of an oversized handful of original poses. Not that I think anyone would want the carpal tunnel that would come with it, but it can be done.

Even breaking them up on fairly large scales takes a couple of hours.

Not really. You can choose to exclude bodyparts when saving both in Studio and Poser. That's how Inronam13 gets three or four hundred poses out of a base of thirty. Depending on how fine you want to cut it, you could get thousands out of an oversized handful of original poses. Not that I think anyone would want the carpal tunnel that would come with it, but it can be done.

I wonder why more content creators don't do that, then? Concievably they could even charge a little more for those pose sets.

I wonder why more content creators don't do that, then? Concievably they could even charge a little more for those pose sets.

Because it's tedious and potentially painful for a return that might not be worth it.

• One problem is that generic, everyday poses usually aren't that generic - we are sitting in the chair, yes, but our posture is influenced by the shape of the book we are holding, the position of the television, where the drink is on the table that we are propping our feet on, what the cat or the kids are doing and so on. By contrast a modelling or pin-up or sexy pose is more likely to be self-contained. That's why a lot of the practical pose sets also include props for use with them.

I do find the lack of poses with agency frustrating, but I think there's more to the issue than just "sex sells".

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    nicstt said:

I've got some of the kids' poses available and converted them; they look - usually - more natural. They are easy to tweak and (woohoo) no damn heals - or tiptoes. But yeh generally how many times do I have to get given in packs the same damn poses.

It isn't adding value if they irritate the heck out of customers.

Heels, yes, that is what I also not like that a lot of pose sets have only high heel pose so like every woman and girl on the world would wear high heels 24 hrs a day. Flat feet option or the same poses also with flat feets would be cool.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

I think the problem (for me) with many of these poses is that the figure is, well, posing for the camera. What I need is people standing/walking/sitting/acting naturally. For that reason, most pose sets are of little use to me, so I don't but them. I do make sure I buy any "normal" pose sets such as:

Exactly. As I have written, everyday poses and not model poses.

• Oh yeah, the walking one looks very useful. Thanks for pointing those out.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Separate "parts" poses are an integral part of many of ironman13 's pose sets. I often use individual arm, leg, hand,head poses. Take a look at the "Fresh Pose" collection currently in the shop.

I think it might help if more pose sets had the upper/lower body, hands, head and feet all seperate. Then bits and pieces could be used of different poses to make a more natural looking stance. But I'm sure that would be nightmarishily difficult to do.

I think it might help if more pose sets had the upper/lower body, hands, head and feet all seperate. Then bits and pieces could be used of different poses to make a more natural looking stance. But I'm sure that would be nightmarishily difficult to do.

• I think the problem (for me) with many of these poses is that the figure is, well, posing for the camera.
    Yes.  There are a few reasons for this.  One is the popularity and emphasis on pinups.  It seems like this is the pose category with the most products by far.
    Then you have the classical comic-book style poses.  Marvel, DC, et. al. have always used an eggagerated style for posing.
    The most noticable feature is the always-straight, stretched, sucked-in guts accompanied by arched backs and puffed up chests.  This style is present even when the character is sitting or crouching. 
    Expressions of anger are also highly eggagerated and unrealistic-- other expressions not so much.

"How to Draw Comicbook" guides describe the style as "lively", "dynamic", and "exciting", while cautioning the artist to avoid realistic everyday poses because they're "boring". 

The way I see posers (and morphs, for that matter) is saving me a lot of work getting in the rough ballpark of where I want, and then I can shave it down to what I really want.
    Same here, 100%.

Even the subtle is not so subtle - standing on toes; take a look around you Daz. It happens, but the ratio is way off the pose availability.
    There are two reasons for this.  1. To accomadate high heels  2. Again we encounter the classic comicbook style, where even barefoot characters fight and make their striking poses in tiptoes.  2.5 This is a sexualized thing-- high heels and tiptoes are viewed as sexy due to the way that they accentuate the calf muscles.  Apparently that is the main reason why high-heeled sneakers exist.  I'm serious.  High heel tennis shoes. 

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    iDiru said:
    i mean who stands like that

Women who would wear 90% of the clothing in the DAZ store stand like that.

5'9+ models, when they're working, stand like that.

Well, you asked.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750
    edited September 2015

These are for genesis, but can still be a good starting point for everyday scenes even without the cellphone.

http://www.daz3d.com/i-am-on-the-phone

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I"ve always thought of FeralFay's poses sets as "doing stuff" poses....she seems to break out of that sexy come-hither stance pose sets that we see a lot of. Quite like a lot of her stuff. Most of her stuff, the character's are all doing something rather than leering at the camera. 

http://www.daz3d.com/feralfey