The Great Render Challenge

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,602

@ChangelingChick, sorry if I am being blind but what is the theme for Week 1? In the first post it says that each week's challenge will be for the two named characters AND a theme. Is Week 1 an "open" theme that just has to feature Lawrence and Julia?

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

SofaCitizen said:

@ChangelingChick, sorry if I am being blind but what is the theme for Week 1? In the first post it says that each week's challenge will be for the two named characters AND a theme. Is Week 1 an "open" theme that just has to feature Lawrence and Julia?

This week the theme is OPEN.
    Because of Laurence's theme, we didn't want to overly narrow the options with all the goodies.  So, we are leaving this week for the artist's discretion.
    Within obvious TOS rules, PG-13, etc.....

• AmaranthAmaranth Posts: 406

I must visit the forums more often surprise

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 475
    edited April 2023

Too bad it's both instead of either / or. I really like Lawrence, but not interested in Julia. The contest might have nudged me to buy him, but no way I'm going to buy a character that I am not interested in just for a contest. The fact that you plan on pairing each contest with two charters means that it's more than likely one of them will be one that someone doesn't want. I guess that's a way to try and get people to buy stuff they wouldn't normally buy, but it's not something I'm interested in doing. Good luck to those that want to participate and / or get lucky on getting two characters they like in one week. :)

Post edited by Shimrian on
  • Shimrian said:

Too bad it's both instead of either / or. I really like Lawrence, but not interested in Julia. The contest might have nudged me to buy him, but no way I'm going to buy a character that I am not interested in just for a contest. The fact that you plan on pairing each contest with two charters means that it's more than likely one of them will be one that someone doesn't want. I guess that's a way to try and get people to buy stuff they wouldn't normally buy, but it's not something I'm interested in doing. Good luck to those that want to participate and / or get lucky on getting two characters they like in one week. :)

I'm just the opposite. I have Julia 9, but since I'm not planning any military scenes, I have little use for the Lawrence bundles.

Perhaps it will be better next week.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

I'd be more interested in this contest if it weren't such a transparent push to drive up figure sales.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,053

Shimrian said:

Same here. I was on the fence of getting Julia, and the contest might have nudged me as well, but I have zero use for Lawrence at the moment (even though he does look great), and I had the same thoughts about the likeliness of 2 characters I like/have use for being released the same week.

• ripmagnumripmagnum Posts: 362

So far, I have liked nearly all the Gen 9 characters---not a big fan of the ogers they had a while back, but, it is what it is.  I'm hoping my paycheck comes in while these 2 character bundles are still on sale.  I could totally do some great contest renders with these people.  Of course, I have virtually all core characters---and, it took my about 3 long years to do it.  However, I only get bundles if I can do something with it.  Some bundles I bought were for the clothes, hair and poses.  

There are tons of characters that just don't work for everyone for whatever reason.  I don't think we should be forced to use BOTH characters for a contest like this.  Of course, this is ultimately a business platform---Daz wants to sell as many bundles as possible.  There are certain things I don't plan on buying---like the $500.00 deflatable Donkey (do they still have that?) or the $1500.00 Banana guy.

• ripmagnum said:

So far, I have liked nearly all the Gen 9 characters---not a big fan of the ogers they had a while back, but, it is what it is.  I'm hoping my paycheck comes in while these 2 character bundles are still on sale.  I could totally do some great contest renders with these people.  Of course, I have virtually all core characters---and, it took my about 3 long years to do it.  However, I only get bundles if I can do something with it.  Some bundles I bought were for the clothes, hair and poses.  

There are tons of characters that just don't work for everyone for whatever reason.  I don't think we should be forced to use BOTH characters for a contest like this.  Of course, this is ultimately a business platform---Daz wants to sell as many bundles as possible.  There are certain things I don't plan on buying---like the $500.00 deflatable Donkey (do they still have that?) or the $1500.00 Banana guy.

You missed out! The donkey and the banana guy were worth every penny! (They were free in the cart)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Shimrian said:

Yes - had it been either / or; I might well have made the jump to the G9 wagon but no way can I afford 2 in one week or really even in one month 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I wish I could partake in this challenge butttttt.......... I can not even render GF/M 9 until I get a new Graphics card!!

• Just at 36 hours till the deadline for this week's contest entries!!

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Oohh I like this contest, let's see if I manage to partake in it though lol economy is a bit on the low (new computer arriving in a couple of days *happy dance* ) but hopefully I can give it a try :)

• 24 hours until submissions are closed for this week's challenge!

• #GreatRenderChallenge

Title: Homecoming

Software DAZ studio 4.20

GIMP 2.10 – only to convert png to jpg

Resources:

Lawrence 9 HD

Basic Child

Octavius Shirt

I13CR Classroom

Combat Uniform

Classroom Props

Homecoming.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 2M
  • ripmagnumripmagnum Posts: 362

Was I supposed to post here--as well as the other thread??  I hope not.  But, I did submit mine on the OTHER submission page BEFORE midnight.  I hope that counts.

Slow Samba In Havana 1.jpg
    3840 x 3072 - 3M
  • Saphirewild said:

I wish I could partake in this challenge butttttt.......... I can not even render GF/M 9 until I get a new Graphics card!!

I'm in the same boat. I'm having driver problems with my new 4090 computer.I can't reliably add two new characters without the comptuer locking up.  Working on a solution.

• Winners have been announced!!!

We hope you all will join us for our Week 2 challenge starting tomorrow!

• Saidge42Saidge42 Posts: 128

thanks so very, very much to all involved - and congrats to all the winners :D

I am pretty proud of all of you!  Round 1 was EXCELLENT!!

WELL DONE!!

YAY!
    Round 2 is beginning.
    Kiri is a fabulous looking character, and the handsome Lawrence should make beautiful pictures!
    They can be VR characters in a game or Olympic athletes or chefs.... surfers, or a treasure hunting team.
    AND, so much more. I can't wait to see what you guys will do!!!

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,028

35 hours left for submissions for this week's contest!

Congratulations to everyone who submitted a picture!!  It was a tough choice to pick the winners!

The theme this week is a bit of a gimme.

With Nathan's sets this week, we couldn't pass on this great theme.  Let your minds wander and push what it means to be on an adventure.
    Is having kids an adventure?  going on a hike?  driving in downtown traffic?  sometimes my cooking can be a bit of an adventure.
    Don't just stick to the pack set if you don't want to.... there are so many adventures in life!!
    Kiri and Nathan have a lot to offer!

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251

I'm assuming this isn't an official DAZ3D sponsored contest since it's in the Commons and not in the Contests forum, but it's still nice you're doing.

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,028

Timbales said:

I'm assuming this isn't an official DAZ3D sponsored contest since it's in the Commons and not in the Contests forum, but it's still nice you're doing.

It is actually an official Daz3D sponsored contest :D 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858

Timbales said:

Contests forum? There isn't one in general, just one for the regular New Users Contest. A non-Daz contest would have been shunted to the Art Studio froum (if we noticed it wasn't there to start with).

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251

Richard Haseltine said:

Timbales said:

Contests forum? There isn't one in general, just one for the regular New Users Contest. A non-Daz contest would have been shunted to the Art Studio froum (if we noticed it wasn't there to start with).

Oh, it's contests for new users, not new contests for users of different levels.