Setting up a 300ft empty scene preset?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

future of content seems unstable.  never know when an uppdate will trash plugins

• Well, Carrara will be less updated than Studio. ;-) Plus Fenric is active and responsive, so if there is an update, I'm sure any plugin issues will be addressed.
    edited November 2015

i want to learn everything!   the fidelity setting seems significant.

infinite plain seems smart enough to know which scene magnitude/scale i'm using.  
    it doesnt see my grid is set to 300ft.

hmmm 

Post edited by Mistara on

there's no sdk d/l with my carrara d/ls.

just wanna see how mathy it is for making wacros

edited November 2015

huuuh .pdf can support a 3d media?

U3d format

cant be this easy 

Soft body amimation in carrara 8 pro

Use backspace rather than delete. Ctrl-A to select all the vertices, then hit backspace. You'll be left with just a ring of vertices around the edge. I've never found a way to deal with those other than one at a time.

You can do that with edges too -- say you have too many rings around a cylinder: just loop those edges, backspace, and they're gone.

ahso.  backspace took care of the verts inside the edge.  but as you said, the verts on the rim won't go.  

thanks!!

36 verts to go.

and somehow i moved the drawing plane, not sure what i did.  i can never remember between holding shift or ctrl.  musta held the wrong one.

basic workflow skills.  have to master this or i'm in danger of going back to wings.  must perseveere

scap backspace delete.JPG
    1031 x 742 - 99K

i put in a support ticket on how to multi zap those rim verts. :D  crossfingers

edited November 2015

next skill, reconstruction :)

fails:
    marquis selected 2 pairs of verts across from each other.  hit 'c' 
    did Menu, Selection, Connect 
    bridge?  ...

scap connect.jpg
    1075 x 785 - 147K

was curious if connecting verts from the rim would cut the edges in between, 

not sure what this is  lol

scap connecting across edges.JPG
    1016 x 660 - 106K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    MistyMist said:

next skill, reconstruction :)

fails:
    marquis selected 2 pairs of verts across from each other.  hit 'c' 
    did Menu, Selection, Connect 
    bridge?  ...

Model->Link. I think it's just one pair at a time (not tried it with more though). Bridge joins pairs of edges with a poly.

MistyMist said:

Looks like the kind of mess you can get when edges and vertices cross over each other -- don't cross the streams!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE

• MistyMist said:

I've run into that too - if you connect two points that already have a poly between them, Carrara doesn't just draw an edge between then, it fills in the poly too, so you get duplicate overlapping faces with no way to select and delete just one.  That weird looking result you got is two polys occupying the same space. If they share the exact same points sometimes you can remove duplicates and it will clear it up, but otherwise it's just a mess. Happens to me all the time. sad

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

The reason the loose verts don't dissolve is that they are there to keep the shape.  The dissolve function is something that was brought over from Hexagon a good few years ago.  Hex has since been updated to give you the option to also dissolve those verts, but the function in Carrara was not updated.  You can dissolve them by selecting all and hitting backspace.

ideally, need to be able to deconstruct and reconstruct a model. otherwise, a mistake means haz to start over. woes.  it's nice to know what ca is doing behind the scenes.

is there any way to lock the Dolly ball tool?  i end up cycling through the options.

playing with Howie's snow scene.  it's medium magnitude.  changed the batting cage grid to 300x300 x/y. comes to be a lil bigger than the center terrain. distant hills are a collection of terrains.

scap dollyd.JPG
    133 x 136 - 11K

Yes, it's a good way of doing it - no point in having loads of geometry for stuff you can't see . . .

Dunno about the dolly button: I just cycle through then.

edited November 2015

cycles i guess, holding mouse click too long?

gahhh, rendered png, next render it changed to animated gif by itself >.<  taking long time to abort

surface replicants, can get them to stand 'nose-to-tail' on a swervy road?

Positioning is random within certain constraints. You can also set variation in X-Y-Z rotation, & scaling. You can also restrict them to a specific shading domain. For swervy roads (putting in centre line and trackside grass for instance), I usually like to paint a mask - white for replicants, black for none. Put the mask into the Color channel of the replicator's shader and tick the "Use shader" box. To vary the density, you can draw dots, like halftone shading.

Dig into any of Howie's scenes - they're packed with surface replicators: great learning tools. :)

ise still in the snow scene, there's kind of a road on the road terrain. was wanting to make the AMS follow the curve.  poor Aiko/Sylfie running for her life from the AMS  :D

nothing interesting has happened with this in the last 10 days.

been contemplating options for a spiral milkyway like galaxy.
    and options in particle tool for dinosaur whizzing.

• MistyMist said:

nothing interesting has happened with this in the last 10 days.

been contemplating options for a spiral milkyway like galaxy.
    and options in particle tool for dinosaur whizzing.

You may be able to use forces on a particle emitter to create a spiral and freeze it.

Dino whizzing would need a meta-ball emitter. You would want to play with particle size, metaball attraction, etc.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2015

I wonder if you could do something with forces to get a cloud of slow moving glowing particles spinning in a disc?  Like what Dimension Theory does in this video  but more spinny?

EDIT TO ADD: Weird - evilproducer's post was 8 minutes before mine but it didn't show up until after I made my post.  Sorry for the duplicate suggestion.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • I had forgotten that video. Thanks for the link!

vrml wrl - thread is about milkyway verts

edited November 2015
    MDO2010 said:

I wonder if you could do something with forces to get a cloud of slow moving glowing particles spinning in a disc?  Like what Dimension Theory does in this video  but more spinny?

EDIT TO ADD: Weird - evilproducer's post was 8 minutes before mine but it didn't show up until after I made my post.  Sorry for the duplicate suggestion.

kewl stuff, thanks

looks like i'm 3-4 years behind everyone else :)

leads to interesting tute on motion paths  

the cripeman tutes suck me in, before i know it half the afternoon is gone

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited November 2015

I played around with the particle emitter a little bit - I think it might be possible to make a galaxy this way, but I am terrible with particles.

Here's what I got:

ParticleGalaxy

Not great, but it's a start.  The .CAR file is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lrwpylv4ya54ms/Emitter_Galaxy.zip?dl=0 if anyone wants to take what I did and play with it more.   In additiona to being bad at particles, I am bad at animating and could not figure out how to animate something spinning more than 180 degrees - if Icould have gotten it to go all the way around I think it would look better.

TestRender.jpg
    640 x 640 - 28K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on