The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

NylonGirl said:

I really don't like when people say BOGO to mean "buy one, get one half off". It's supposed to be "buy one, get one free". If you have to pay half price for the second one then it's a BOGOHO.

Actually, BOGO just means Buy One, Get One...the qualifying word (or words) come after that.  There was a time when it was only used as an indication of something without paying more, but those days are gone.  sad  What really irks me is when they call something free when you have to purchase something to get it.  That's not free, that's a bonus

• NathNath Posts: 2,770

Not a complaint: reduced my wishlist to zero

(also: delurking in this thread)

Nath said:

So, you have everything  you want from this place?

Nice to see you around!

• NathNath Posts: 2,770

DanaTA said:

Nath said:

So, you have everything  you want from this place?

Nice to see you around!

Thanks!

For now, yes. I'm not sure if clearing the wishlist means I won the Game of DAZ or lost it.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

If my ID isn't a Real ID, does it mean it is a fake ID?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited October 2023

According to physicist's recent theories, the Universe isn't "real".  So, what does that say about IDs?surprise  But generally in this non-real Universe a "real" ID is one that is registered with a government agency responsible for keeping your identification safe so that they know who you are when you screw up and they go looking for you.  Or who to send the check to when you play their games well.devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

I have a kvetch.  I was told that I can't share any food I bring in, but one of my housemates is allowed to.  The food is from the same exact place, both for free.  Why is mine disqualified for giving out to the rest?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Sfariah D said:

I have a kvetch.  I was told that I can't share any food I bring in, but one of my housemates is allowed to.  The food is from the same exact place, both for free.  Why is mine disqualified for giving out to the rest?

you cannot force people to eat something they don't want.

Its respecting bodily autonomy.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Sfariah D said:

you cannot force people to eat something they don't want.

Its respecting bodily autonomy.

I think you missed the point.  It's not that anyone was refusing the food, it's that the powers that be were refusing to let her share with others. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited October 2023

Sfariah D said:

If my ID isn't a Real ID, does it mean it is a fake ID?

...however after May 7th 2025 you will no longer be able to travel by air or enter some federal facilities unless your ID has the "Real ID" stamp on it.  

In North Carolina there is no fee for getting the Real ID stamp.so if your card is coming up for renewal beforehand and you expect you will be boarding a plane or having to go to a secure government office it would be good to get one.

Some states charge extra for the Real ID  Here in (Oregon) it's an additional 30$ over the base ID cost of 44.50$ so almost 75$. . A Passport card is 10$ cheaper for the initial application, is valid for 2 more years than a state ID, and is good for entering Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.  Renewal is also only 30$ whereas renewing an Oregon Real ID is 71.50$ .

Yeah pretty ridiculous here. If I just get a regular ID now I'd have to pay an extra 69.50$ for a replacement to get the Real ID stamp (in addition to the base 44.50$ I already would have paid which would come to a total of 114$).  Yeah the passport card is beginning to sound  like a much a better deal all around as it supersedes any state ID and has a few extra benefits.

The reason I have to consider the Real ID is I have siblings older than myself who are getting on in age and if I need to travel for emergency reasons, I'll need the stamp. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2023

OMG!  When did this "Real ID" thing happen?  I thought I was caught up when NY State announced the "Driving Licence/Semi-Passport" thing, needed to get into Canada from here.surprise  And a couple years ago when I renewed my official US passport I also got their "Passport Card" thing (not a driving license) that they offered.  Oy, too many options.frown  It's an American disease.indecision

it's called bureaucracy

it's chronic and almost incurable 

...in the end I decided the Passport Card wins out, so next month after I get my deposit, down to the Post Office (which is only a couple blocks away). 

edited October 2023

I have a proof of age photo ID card which looks identical to a South Australian Drivers license and is issued by the Motor registration office

(I no longer drive or would have a driver's license) has same number as my Driver's license did AFIAK too

only cost me about 20AUD and lasts 5 years

but of course Australia there is nowhere else  to go but Australia unless you fly or get on a boat cheeky

I use it for financial institutions etc

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

Non-complaint: Real IDs also have an RFID chip, so get you an RFID Blocking wallet or women's clutch.

Complaint: Thuh carpet bagger sal'sperson assed if'n Ah'd consider another REP tuh go with their company fer carpet tuh thuh SAME local branch. Ah hung up. 

edited October 2023

Complaint: On-line bank statements:  I just spent a half hour trying to resolve a minor problem with my checking account balance.  I've been moving (for me) big chunks of money between checking and savings (and vice-versafrown ) for the last couple of months, because of reasons. 

The good news is the bank says I have $1071.83 more cash in my checking account than my own spreadsheet and manually maintained checkbook mutually agree is correct.surpriseyes  However, I'm afraid somebody dropped the ball, and i'taint me.cheeky 

The bad news is I think I tracked it down to a $982 payment made yesterday to my credit card company to whittle down my dentist bill.  This morning the payment entry was marked as processed in the on-line account report, but has not yet been deducted from the "Available Cash" column of their report.  I guess I'll just wait and see if it gets corrected by Monday.  I think I have it all figured out after accounting for still outstanding small bills from Amazon(notorious for juggling numbers until everything's delivered), except that I keep coming up with a $14 difference that I can't account for yet.  Bummer,sad but perhaps after the bank discovers their mistake, things might get untangled.(*sigh*)indecision

AgitatedRiot said:

Non-complaint: Real IDs also have an RFID chip, so get you an RFID Blocking wallet or women's clutch.

Complaint: Thuh carpet bagger sal'sperson assed if'n Ah'd consider another REP tuh go with their company fer carpet tuh thuh SAME local branch. Ah hung up. 

No, Real ID does not have an RFID chip...Enhanced ID cards do have an RFID chip. 

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint: On-line bank statements:  I just spent a half hour trying to resolve a minor problem with my checking account balance.  I've been moving (for me) big chunks of money between checking and savings (and vice-versafrown ) for the last couple of months, because of reasons. 

The good news is the bank says I have $1071.83 more cash in my checking account than my own spreadsheet and manually maintained checkbook mutually agree is correct.surpriseyes  However, I'm afraid somebody dropped the ball, and i'taint me.cheeky 

The bad news is I think I tracked it down to a $982 payment made yesterday to my credit card company to whittle down my dentist bill.  This morning the payment entry was marked as processed in the on-line account report, but has not yet been deducted from the "Available Cash" column of their report.  I guess I'll just wait and see if it gets corrected by Monday.  I think I have it all figured out after accounting for still outstanding small bills from Amazon(notorious for juggling numbers until everything's delivered), except that I keep coming up with a $14 difference that I can't account for yet.  Bummer,sad but perhaps after the bank discovers their mistake, things might get untangled.(*sigh*)indecision

May not be a mistake.  Sometimes check processing takes a few days to actually clear.  I've seen that many times. 

edited October 2023

...my bank statement shows pending charges and which are deducted from the balance.  If any are in error, the amount is credited back to my account.  

Complaint:

Remember a couple months ago when I mentioned the smoke alarm kept sounding the warning that I needed to replace the battery?  Well after not being able to get a hold of maintenance that week (because the building's front office was closed more than it was open) I finally got the nerve to climb up on a chair and put a new one in myself. 

Well very early this morning I was awoken by the unit making thatsame intermittent beeping again even though it had a brand new battery installed.  I ended up having to get a chair climb up (half awake at the time) and remove the battery for now as it's a weekend and the office definitely isn't open (and likely will not be most of next week). 

It makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the alarm itself which will require maintenance to take a look at it and if need be, replace the unit.  These things malfunction as well and don't last forever.

Fortunately I'm a very careful cook and don't bother with microwave popcorn (one of the common items responsible for setting off the alarm late at night in my building requiring everyone to evacuate until the fire department shows up).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2023

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint: On-line bank statements:  ...(*sigh*)indecision

May not be a mistake.  Sometimes check processing takes a few days to actually clear.  I've seen that many times. 

The normal practice of my bank's on-line account records has been to keep the payment in the "Pending" category until it actually clears, so when I saw that it had been moved out of the "Pending" column, I'd assumed it had also been deducted from the "Available" column.  Believing that to be the case I assumed that the error was mine, and since all the numbers were correct, I suspected my spreadsheet calculations, having gotten clobbered by fumble-fingered editing.  In otherwords, it took me a half hour to find it because I'd made an assumption.  Which we all know, makes an ass of u and ption.indecision

edited October 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint: On-line bank statements:  ...(*sigh*)indecision

The normal practice of my bank's on-line account records has been to keep the payment in the "Pending" category until it actually clears, so when I saw that it had been moved out of the "Pending" column, I'd assumed it had also been deducted from the "Available" column.  Believing that to be the case I assumed that the error was mine, and since all the numbers were correct, I suspected my spreadsheet calculations, having gotten clobbered by fumble-fingered editing.  In otherwords, it took me a half hour to find it because I'd made an assumption.  Which we all know, makes an ass of u and ption.indecision

Aha! 

I think that was one of the funniest scenes in The Odd Couple show.

Post edited by DanaTA on

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

No, Real ID does not have an RFID chip...Enhanced ID cards do have an RFID chip. 

Maybe I didn't get the Notice. They were talking about the REAL IDs as enhanced IDs in MO. So, I never got one because the Enhanced ID statements have RDIF. This was all in the papers when they were about to transition to REAL IDS. Of course, I am a shut-in and cannot trust the Internet and real printed news anymore.

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Maybe I didn't get the Notice. They were talking about the REAL IDs as enhanced IDs in MO. So, I never got one because the Enhanced ID statements have RDIF. This was all in the papers when they were about to transition to REAL IDS. Of course, I am a shut-in and cannot trust the Internet and real printed news anymore.

I guess it's possible that some states are using Enhanced ID as part of the Read ID system.  In Massachesetts, they are not enhanced.  I have one.  I don't think I'd want an RFID chip in anything on my body.  You have to worry about getting something to block it so that everyone can read it.  Still, I read that the Enhanced one doesn't contain any personally identifiable info. 

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

DanaTA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

I guess it's possible that some states are using Enhanced ID as part of the Read ID system.  In Massachesetts, they are not enhanced.  I have one.  I don't think I'd want an RFID chip in anything on my body.  You have to worry about getting something to block it so that everyone can read it.  Still, I read that the Enhanced one doesn't contain any personally identifiable info. 

Everything wants to track you nowadays: Phones, Cameras on the Street, from space; build a 6-foot privacy fence to layout in the Nude so you can be seen from space—that is on them with my Fat moon shining on them. I wonder how many techs puked when they saw it.wink

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Sigh... in little over 4 hours the darkness starts, we go back to standard time and even less daylight after getting off work crying

PerttiA said:

Sigh... in little over 4 hours the darkness starts, we go back to standard time and even less daylight after getting off work crying

Dark is when all the fun stuff starts unless you are old like me; I eat supper around 3 p.m. Then, like the small towns of old, the streets roll up, and there is nothing to do except drive up and down the main street. You can't waste the gas needed to get to the hospital, can you?

PerttiA said:

Where do you live?  As far as I know, we don't "Fall Back" until Nov. 5! 

edited October 2023

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

Dark is when all the fun stuff starts unless you are old like me; I eat supper around 3 p.m. Then, like the small towns of old, the streets roll up, and there is nothing to do except drive up and down the main street. You can't waste the gas needed to get to the hospital, can you?

Back in '95 while on my 'round the US motorcycle trip, I distinctly remember arriving in downtown Omaha, Nebraska at about 5:30PM on a Friday night, and the streets were essentially empty.surprise  A typical example of a dead downtown, everybody's gone out to their suburban bedroom communities after 5:00.indecision

Ah, Nebraska, I have another tale of Nebraska.  While on that same trip (after leaving Omaha), I remember riding west on Interstate-80 across miles and miles and miles and miles of open fields of grain of one sort or another, miles and miles and miles of it.  Winds of 30 MPH gusting randomly from the north, trying to push me out of my lane.  I took shelter in the turbulence behind a big semi-truck, for at least a hundred miles.  But at one point, off in the distance I saw one lonely tree, still standing proudly in the horizon-to-horizon emptiness.  And at once, I knew that I had seen the fabled "Great Nebraska Forest".  Wheee...yesdevil

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

DanaTA said:

PerttiA said:

EU changed already and here in Finland, sun sets now at 16:44

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

DanaTA said:

PerttiA said:

He is from Finland.

All of Europe (the parts that use daylight saving) shifted back today. 

This discussion has been closed.