The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited October 2023

kyoto kid said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

Well that's interesting I just got my Utube account blocked /disabled cause I couldn't figure out how to get my ADBlocker to not work on Utube ,or let Utube show ads but not other sites .....horse apples ,I've had that same ADBlocker running since I got my first computer ......well gonna miss Utube I guess .

...I've been getting pop up notices about that recently as well.  A real pain as YouTube is my ,ain source for music as I cannot afford those streaming services plus I primarily tend to listen to classical the most  as well as I like making my own playlists instead of using someone else's 

90% of the tutorials and lessons and whatever I use are on YT,  so thats a pain as well :/

Can only hope that this ends up backfiring on Google so they withdraw the "We're blocking access if you don't disable your AB!"  deal.   The ads they like showing are usually pretty bad too;  long, LONG ads - some have been longer than the videos I was watching -  and the number of times I've gotten 'very inappropriate'  ad content on their site in the past with AB disabled is insane.  So.... Yeah.

...most, if not all of them are also for products and services I have no interest in, have no use for, or can afford.  Given that I am already paying 70$ a month just for my connection (200 speed) it is frustrating to deal with.

When I still had a television and cable service I quit because I was tired of paying a monthly bill just to be bombarded by several minutes of adverts about every 8 - 10 minutes (and on certian cable channels they repeated about every third advert break).

Is there some service you could look into for the internet?  Our county (County, not country)  had something with Xfinity for  'Low-Income Households'  that can cut the bill from 80 something to just under 20.  We're still trying to get that sorted out though,  

Post edited by Rezca on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited October 2023

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

Well that's interesting I just got my Utube account blocked /disabled cause I couldn't figure out how to get my ADBlocker to not work on Utube ,or let Utube show ads but not other sites .....horse apples ,I've had that same ADBlocker running since I got my first computer ......well gonna miss Utube I guess .

...I've been getting pop up notices about that recently as well.  A real pain as YouTube is my ,ain source for music as I cannot afford those streaming services plus I primarily tend to listen to classical the most  as well as I like making my own playlists instead of using someone else's 

90% of the tutorials and lessons and whatever I use are on YT,  so thats a pain as well :/

Can only hope that this ends up backfiring on Google so they withdraw the "We're blocking access if you don't disable your AB!"  deal.   The ads they like showing are usually pretty bad too;  long, LONG ads - some have been longer than the videos I was watching -  and the number of times I've gotten 'very inappropriate'  ad content on their site in the past with AB disabled is insane.  So.... Yeah.

...most, if not all of them are also for products and services I have no interest in, have no use for, or can afford.  Given that I am already paying 70$ a month just for my connection (200 speed) it is frustrating to deal with.

When I still had a television and cable service I quit because I was tired of paying a monthly bill just to be bombarded by several minutes of adverts about every 8 - 10 minutes (and on certian cable channels they repeated about every third advert break).

Is there some service you could look into for the internet?  Our county (County, not country)  had something with Xfinity for  'Low-Income Households'  that can cut the bill from 80 something to just under 20.  We're still trying to get that sorted out though,  

That could work...but he has 200Mbs...which is plenty, but he may not be willing to downgrade.  I have 100, and find it plenty fast enough, even for videos without buffering issues(exept on very slow servers, which I think would still be a problem at 200).  But I'm not sure what speed one can get on the low income packages.  Worth checking, though.

Post edited by DanaTA on

Complainy complaint;  wanted to try getting one of the models I made into D|S since a couple folks were asking about it,  but woa its been nothing but trouble the whole way through.   The best I managed to get was taking the figure into Poser 11 and then from there into DAZ,  but the way it takes all the joint weights then converts them to selection-sets instead has caused no little amount of trouble and hassle.  Anything that looked good in other programs turns into a mess when loaded in DS.

What little I've pulled up online seems to say "Sorry, you'll have to re-rig it entirely in D|S using those selection sets." 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited October 2023

Complaint:  Apparently I'm an Honorary DAZ+ member for this weekend.  Thank you DAZ, but that's not the complaint.  I'm complaining that I can't find anything in my wishlist, that I want to buy, even at the far reduced prices.  Just can't rationalize even cheap purchases.  Don't need 'em, and apparently don't want 'em.  I'm beginning to wonder about my need for a wishlist at all.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Apparently I'm an Honorary DAZ+ member for this weekend.  Thank you DAZ, but that's not the complaint.  I'm complaining that I can't find anything in my wishlist, that I want to buy, even at the far reduced prices.  Just can't rationalize even cheap purchases.  Don't need 'em, and apparently don't want 'em.  I'm beginning to wonder about my need for a wishlist at all.frown

I wish I could share that complaint haha;  I indulged in a lot of those 80 ~ 90 % off things with the justification its stockpiling stuff for future uses.  Was it worth it?  Debatable, but they're not going anywhere now at least :P 

• LeatherGryphon said:

I am in exactly the same position.

Regards,

Richard.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited October 2023

I simply removed everything I didn't buy when around a dollar wink it pruned it down to 13 things

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I've gotten a few things at really cheap prices, but generally don't buy much...except the freebies and at the end of the month, I use the DAZ+ coupon.  Rarely do I use the other coupon...just don't have the money.  sad

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

DanaTA said:

That could work...but he has 200Mbs...which is plenty, but he may not be willing to downgrade.  I have 100, and find it plenty fast enough, even for videos without buffering issues(exept on very slow servers, which I think would still be a problem at 200).  But I'm not sure what speed one can get on the low income packages.  Worth checking, though.

So, even a Blu-Ray disc only does 48-megabits for video. So 50 megabits should be enough for anything below a Blu-Ray player in video quality. And apparently that's everything in streaming video. 

• DanaTA said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

In our area, it's applied as a credit to the cost of your tier, so you don't have to drop anything.

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

DanaTA said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

In our area, it's applied as a credit to the cost of your tier, so you don't have to drop anything.

Yep  -  its the same package, but at a steep discount.  Its just applying for it that's the tricky part :P 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

OMG the sinking feeling when you accidently have a folder you didn't want selected when you choose permenantly delete

I am trying winfr D: E: /n D:\render\woods\*.PNG in Windows File Recovery tool and it is scanning the disc but not sure the syntax is correct, the examples so vague in Microsft help page

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited October 2023

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

...yeah there is something like that here but it requires a current state picture ID which where I live is 75$ (almost as costly as a passport card which lasts longer and allows you to visit other countries like Canada Medico and the Caribbean).

Mine expired during the Pandemic and for over a year the DMV was closed and afterwards required an appointment which you needed to make months in advance.  I got so frustrated I just gave up. as for most purposes (like walking into a pub) I look to be very well above the age limit of 21 and have an issue.  Most states charge far less than here for a non drivers ID and some even have lower rates for seniors.

I don't need one for other benefitsI receive, only this programme which makes no sense.

DanaTA said:

...that 200 mbps often lags badly and I get a fair amount of error messages that a "site cannot load". Ofen times (particularly on video sites like YouTube) I get a long running "swirly" after which a message pops up that I need to restart my system or I get buffering pauses or choppy feeds.  There are also times a site will load in HTML text mode   I've cleard bnrowser cache whne this occurs but it doesn't seem to help. 

Pretty lame given what I am paying. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2023

kyoto kid said:

...that 200 mbps often lags badly and I get a fair amount of error messages that a "site cannot load". Ofen times (particularly on video sites like YouTube) I get a long running "swirly" after which a message pops up that I need to restart my system or I get buffering pauses or choppy feeds.  There are also times a site will load in HTML text mode   I've cleard bnrowser cache whne this occurs but it doesn't seem to help. 

Some of that sounds like something wrong with your computer somehow and not the provider,  but then again some providers have been kind of ThumbsDown ..   But getting a popup that you need to restart your computer can't be from an internet provider. 

But I'm not much of a tech person so what would I know

Post edited by Rezca on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

I was reading that thing about how many times per day men think about Romans and I realized for me it's not a lot, but probably more than I think about Quetzalcoatl the feathered serpent god of the Aztecs and definitely less than I think about orangutans on roller skates wielding chainsaws...

You see, I have this ancient Roman coin on the shelf over my desk, which my father gave to my mother, which keeps falling onto my desk every time I move stuff around on the extremely crowded shelf... it's not worth anything really (probably like $70) because it's one of those kind of coins they found and still find truckloads of, so every time it falls, it falls on my keyboard, particularly the Cap lock key, which it seems to be able to home in on no matter what...  
    So I generally curse the Roman emperor Constantine 2.0 (whose mug is on the coin) for not having a more valuable visage and also for his favoring of Arianism, which is actually not what it sounds like, but a belief started by a presbyter (Arius) who claimed Jeebuz (I don't think I can mention his real name here) actually existed "outside of time" because time only applies to certain things, which in relation temporal physics isn't really accurate or not completely inaccurate, but I get the feeling he (Arius) didn't actually do a lot of time traveling and just kinda winged it, based on his hunch that Hayzeus was actually a time lord of some sort, possibly because of the colorful scarf he used to wear... which for some reason history has forgotten about...

But said musings will at some point in the future cause a renewed interest in time travel (it falls in and out of fashion... though not necessarily in this timeline), but possibly because of this post which probably appears over several possible parallel timelines, one of which involves an orangutan version of me writing this who goes into far more detail on the theory and causes someone looking up ancient complaint threads to pursue their time travel theories and successfully time travel with somewhat crappy results which ends up causing a lot annoying problems with overlapping events in parallel timelines intruding into timelines they aren't supposed to overlap...

You are probably wondering why I don't just "not write" about what I just wrote, but the problem is that the possibilities are actually far worse were I not to mention this at all... the chain of events that lead to social media eventually leading to posts about men thinking about Romans, causing men to think about Romans will eventually lead to 743,861,893,451 branch points in history that will eventually lead to the development of time travel capabilities by humans who a decidedly not capable of managing such technology and cause all sorts of temporal entanglements that will mess up multiple timelines, causing a sort of cascade temporal collapse resulting in something like a temporal Big Bang, resetting the multiverse in a decidedly unpleasant fashion.

I forgot where I was, and I'm not rereading any of that and I hope nobody else did, but the point is you shouldn't think of obnoxious Arius and his hunches, but think about Orangutans on roller skates, juggling chainsaws...

And with that you see, I once again averted another temporal disaster (I checked, it's all good now) by writing into existence a very confusing story that injects all sorts of ideas across several timelines (overlapping points mostly... you know, those deja vu moments, weird over-detailed dreams, remembering places you've never been, etc) which enables me to avert probable disasters I may or may not have been responsible for (definitely, probably not responsible for) in the first place, but need to address none the less.

You have no idea how many of my long and confusing posts are actually a redirect to fix discrepancies in time that this stupid timeline is hellbent on inflaming and it's getting incredibly hard coming up with stuff to decoagulate temporal lumpiness... (that's actually a technical term, but I think it's kinda self-explanatory), but once again social media has pushed the situation to the edge, but as long as you all focus on the orangutans, it'll all be fine...

So yeah... ORANGUTANS ON ROLLER SKATES JUGGLING CHAINSAWS.

I think we are done here, please focus on the funny apes and nothing else for a few minutes and we'll be fine.

Thank you.

kyoto kid said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

...yeah there is something like that here but it requires a current state picture ID which where I live is 75$ (almost as costly as a passport card which lasts longer and allows you to visit other countries like Canada Medico and the Caribbean).

Mine expired during the Pandemic and for over a year the DMV was closed and afterwards required an appointment which you needed to make months in advance.  I got so frustrated I just gave up. as for most purposes (like walking into a pub) I look to be very well above the age limit of 21 and have an issue.  Most states charge far less than here for a non drivers ID and some even have lower rates for seniors.

I don't need one for other benefitsI receive, only this programme which makes no sense.

DanaTA said:

As far as the low cost Internet, you should need an ID for that.   And for the buffering issues, you should complain.  Why pay for something you don't seem to ever get?  It could be the router, maybe it needs to be replace or the chips updated.  I wouldn't keep paying for something you aren't getting!

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited October 2023

Bugger--- after 3 years of masking and vaccines et all.. this AM?

the vid.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 518K
    Post edited by hacsart on

hacsart said:

Bugger--- after 3 years of masking and vaccines et all.. this AM?

I hope it's just a mild case! 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Thanks!

so far rather like a head cold - runny nose, congestion, bit of a productive cough

edited October 2023

Speaking of rolling orangutan lumberjacks:  Um..., just um.indecision  But now for something completely different: 

A Ponderable:  Entanglement:   OK, picture it, given that entanglement is real (i.e. Nobel Prize level of real), what point of view can we take to attempt to explain it?  I suggest that two entangled particles, created by some event common in their past, the particles become separated in space but are short-circuited in time, and react instantaneously to events on either particle.  Yeah, that's a big bite to chew on, but so far, it's the only point of view that I can even start to wrap my head around.  To me this implies that spacetime is not the maleable continuous fluid Einstein tried to make it but is pierceable, or bypassable from other dimensions**.  Are there cracks in spacetime?  There's also a lot of talk about entanglement being the cause of nano-wormholes and of them knitting the Universe together, manifesting as gravity and spacetime itself.  What an interesting period of time in physics.smiley  Are we ready for a paradigm shift bigger than Newton or Einstein?

**Note:  I don't like the idea of extra dimensions.  It seems to me that one can solve any problem if one throws enough dimensions at it.frown  Nope, don't like extra dimensions at all.  And don't get me started on String Theory and multiple universes.  How many dimensions is "M-Theory" up to now, 11?  cheeky 

hacsart said:

Thanks!

so far rather like a head cold - runny nose, congestion, bit of a productive cough

Aaaah yeah I experienced that a bit ago  - same deal too.  The cough didn't come 'till very late for me,  Day 2 / 3 was a fever but none of it really bothered me much EXCEPT FOR WHEN THE HEADACHE CAME TO VISIT.  That was the only thing that really got to me !

Get well soon <3

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

LeatherGryphon said:

Speaking of rolling orangutan lumberjacks:  Um..., just um.indecision  But now for something completely different: 

A Ponderable:  Entanglement:   OK, picture it, given that entanglement is real (i.e. Nobel Prize level of real), what point of view can we take to attempt to explain it?  I suggest that two entangled particles, created by some event common in their past, the particles become separated in space but are short-circuited in time, and react instantaneously to events on either particle.  Yeah, that's a big bite to chew on, but so far, it's the only point of view that I can even start to wrap my head around.  To me this implies that spacetime is not the maleable continuous fluid Einstein tried to make it but is pierceable, or bypassable from other dimensions**.  Are there cracks in spacetime?  There's also a lot of talk about entanglement being the cause of nano-wormholes and of them knitting the Universe together, manifesting as gravity and spacetime itself.  What an interesting period of time in physics.smiley  Are we ready for a paradigm shift bigger than Newton or Einstein?

**Note:  I don't like the idea of extra dimensions.  It seems to me that one can solve any problem if one throws enough dimensions at it.frown  Nope, don't like extra dimensions at all.  And don't get me started on String Theory and multiple universes.  How many dimensions is "M-Theory" up to now, 11?  cheeky 

But multiple universes are real if one starts thinking about it, there are at least as many universes as there are people on the earth.

One just cannot know, how the person next to one sees and experiences the world, maybe their sky is scarlet which they call blue, their planet is really flat and anyone that speaks a different language has pointed ears and fangs.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

Where did I put my covid test?  Also where did I put the postcards I just got?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited October 2023

McGyver said:

I was reading that thing about how many times per day men think about Romans and I realized for me it's not a lot, but probably more than I think about Quetzalcoatl the feathered serpent god of the Aztecs and definitely less than I think about orangutans on roller skates wielding chainsaws...

You see, I have this ancient Roman coin on the shelf over my desk, which my father gave to my mother, which keeps falling onto my desk every time I move stuff around on the extremely crowded shelf... it's not worth anything really (probably like $70) because it's one of those kind of coins they found and still find truckloads of, so every time it falls, it falls on my keyboard, particularly the Cap lock key, which it seems to be able to home in on no matter what...  
    So I generally curse the Roman emperor Constantine 2.0 (whose mug is on the coin) for not having a more valuable visage and also for his favoring of Arianism, which is actually not what it sounds like, but a belief started by a presbyter (Arius) who claimed Jeebuz (I don't think I can mention his real name here) actually existed "outside of time" because time only applies to certain things, which in relation temporal physics isn't really accurate or not completely inaccurate, but I get the feeling he (Arius) didn't actually do a lot of time traveling and just kinda winged it, based on his hunch that Hayzeus was actually a time lord of some sort, possibly because of the colorful scarf he used to wear... which for some reason history has forgotten about...

But said musings will at some point in the future cause a renewed interest in time travel (it falls in and out of fashion... though not necessarily in this timeline), but possibly because of this post which probably appears over several possible parallel timelines, one of which involves an orangutan version of me writing this who goes into far more detail on the theory and causes someone looking up ancient complaint threads to pursue their time travel theories and successfully time travel with somewhat crappy results which ends up causing a lot annoying problems with overlapping events in parallel timelines intruding into timelines they aren't supposed to overlap...

You are probably wondering why I don't just "not write" about what I just wrote, but the problem is that the possibilities are actually far worse were I not to mention this at all... the chain of events that lead to social media eventually leading to posts about men thinking about Romans, causing men to think about Romans will eventually lead to 743,861,893,451 branch points in history that will eventually lead to the development of time travel capabilities by humans who a decidedly not capable of managing such technology and cause all sorts of temporal entanglements that will mess up multiple timelines, causing a sort of cascade temporal collapse resulting in something like a temporal Big Bang, resetting the multiverse in a decidedly unpleasant fashion.

I forgot where I was, and I'm not rereading any of that and I hope nobody else did, but the point is you shouldn't think of obnoxious Arius and his hunches, but think about Orangutans on roller skates, juggling chainsaws...

And with that you see, I once again averted another temporal disaster (I checked, it's all good now) by writing into existence a very confusing story that injects all sorts of ideas across several timelines (overlapping points mostly... you know, those deja vu moments, weird over-detailed dreams, remembering places you've never been, etc) which enables me to avert probable disasters I may or may not have been responsible for (definitely, probably not responsible for) in the first place, but need to address none the less.

You have no idea how many of my long and confusing posts are actually a redirect to fix discrepancies in time that this stupid timeline is hellbent on inflaming and it's getting incredibly hard coming up with stuff to decoagulate temporal lumpiness... (that's actually a technical term, but I think it's kinda self-explanatory), but once again social media has pushed the situation to the edge, but as long as you all focus on the orangutans, it'll all be fine...

So yeah... ORANGUTANS ON ROLLER SKATES JUGGLING CHAINSAWS.

I think we are done here, please focus on the funny apes and nothing else for a few minutes and we'll be fine.

Thank you.

Just for you @McGyver

Didn't have any chain saws so had to go with just hand saws  .....

orangatan skates.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    orangatan skates 1.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by carrie58 on
    edited October 2023

I saw what you did there.devil

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

LeatherGryphon said:

I saw what you did there.devil

cheekywinklaugh

edited October 2023

DanaTA said:

As far as the low cost Internet, you should need an ID for that.   And for the buffering issues, you should complain.  Why pay for something you don't seem to ever get?  It could be the router, maybe it needs to be replace or the chips updated.  I wouldn't keep paying for something you aren't getting!

...for other state and county services and programmes (several of which I am on) alternate ID sources (like SSN, a letter/bill mailed to my address,  etc.) are acceptable. For this programme it has to be a current state or federal picture ID (the latter like a passport card). 

For the area of town I am in it's either cable (which is what I have), WiFi (which I used to have but was unreliable and not all that much cheaper) or "copper wire" (traditional phone line), which is the slowest and which also leads from the street to the units in my building (so any high speed service is throttled).   Of the those three, cable tends to be the most reliable (few if any interruptions lie outages as it's all underground here) as well as supposedly the fastest.  As to the router I have, it's the latest one provided by the cable service (so it should have the most up to date chips) which accounts for part of the that monthly charge.   

The plan I'm on will end after next month so possibly I can shop around a better deal (I've actually had 400 speed for 45$.a month last year from the same provider).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited October 2023

carrie58 said:

Just for you @McGyver

(Roller Skating, Handsaw Juggling Orangutan Images)

Didn't have any chain saws so had to go with just hand saws  .....

Thank you for helping to prevent temporal incongruities across several timelines... I used to send people who helped avert temporal disasters little pins, like those pilots wings the airlines would give you if you didn't bite other passengers, but they were just little plastic watches with the straps cut off that were kiddy party favors... Apparently they stopped making the cheap ones because the plastic was radioactive or something... so until I find a source of less radioactive clock faces, my gratitude will have to do... it's a pretty crappy substitute for a pretty crappy prize, but sometimes it's not the crappy prize that counts as much as the satisfaction of knowing that you helped save the universe... especially when people are telling annoying stories about their stupid vacations or stuff like that and you can sit there confidently knowing they got to jet ski in Hawaii because you prevented the universe from collapsing in on itself by rendering an orangutan.

Post edited by McGyver on

...semi - complaint:

Began preparations for making a big batch of curry chicken for the next several nights ,Had cut up all the veggies & such and was ready to do so to the chicken when I realised I didn't take it out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge last night.  As it was already after 19:00 (local time) thawing it in cold water it would have taken a couple hours, so decided to put the whole deal off until Tuesday (as I wil be somewhere else tomorrow night)  and put all the chopped up veggies in an airtight container which I stuck in the freezer so they wouldn't wilt or spoil 

Set a reminder to take the chicken out of the freezer Monday night before going to bed so it can thaw in the fridge overnight.

I hate being old.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

McGyver said:

Thank you.

So our cat (the one who likes to jump in my lap whenever I'm sitting down, not the one who likes to look at me while I'm lying on the bedroom floor naked) jumped into my lap while I was a little more than halfway through reading this; and successfully broke my concentration. But I remember thinking it was a pretty good narrative. And it motivated me to watch the latest episode of Loki today. There is a woman I'm close to and we've both determined we must be variants of Sylvie. Or maybe Sylvie is an analogy for whatever we both are.

I don't get why people like analog dials. I like when the instrument cluster is digital like Knight Rider. Okay this time it wasn't the cat. I'm just not great at endings.

You know, if the internet service provider says they have 200 megabits and you can't even reach the websites you go to, I assume they are the same company we used to be stuck with. Because those are the same people who used to charge people for unlimited internet and then got mad when people used it, and accused them of "abusing their bandwidth". Yes you can get 200 megabits or even infinite megabits as long as you don't use it. Fine.

This discussion has been closed.