The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

JasmineSkunk said:

Gordig said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Then those Millennials had kids -- who are STILL kids: Generation Z, aka Zoomers. Those Zoomers aren't adults yet. How could we be in Generation Alpha already?

Maxwell Frost is the first Gen Z member of Congress. He's 27 years old.

But when I think about what was going on in the world... I kinda think of those who were born either during or right after the Vietnam war... which would make the "Boomer" Generation way too long.

The US began full-scale combat operations in Vietnam in 1964, and withdrew all its forces in 1973, which is only 9 years. '64 makes sense as a starting point for Gen X, because that's when the oldest of the Boomers were of military age, but we would have to extend the end point a fair bit past the end of the war to make up a generation. I think the election of Reagan makes as much sense for the end of Gen X as anything else.

• NathNath Posts: 2,770

On generations... I agree that boundaries are muddled and depend on who is doing the defining. One thing that may cloud the issue a bit is that there are (at least) two different understandings of 'generation': "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively. It can also be described as, "the average period, generally considered to be about 20–⁠30 years, during which children are born and grow up, become adults, and begin to have children." (Yes, I looked that up!)

The modern understanding of generation is usually 'all people born at about the same time' and is mostly split into roughly 15-year groups, either strictly by year, or also considering society as a whole, or defining it to suit your argument (sorry, my inner cynic got out for a bit).

So, my personal groupings would be 

• 1945 - 1960/1965: boomers (I'd put the boundary somewhere around '62/'63, maybe Kennedy or the Cuba Crisis)
    • 1960/1965 - 1980: gen X
    • 1980 - 1995/2000: millennials (boundary depending on whether you are annoyed by 'millennial' not including 2000)
    • 1995/2000 - 2015: gen Z (aka 'zoomers')
    • 2015 - ...: gen A/alpha

I'm from '68, so definitely Gen X laugh

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited February 3

Okay... so in my head...

Those who born around the time of the Vietnam war are a single generation BECAUSE they didn't experience war in their childhoods. It made us a little too optimistic, maybe. We were the peace-and-love-just-say-no-to-drugs generation. Before us: aka those who remember the moon landing but were not old enough to be attending "sock hops" as teenagers are also thought of as "Gen X" But if they ARE Gen X, how can someone like you, Gordig, who was born after 1980, also be Gen X? That would make Gen X way too long. And if maxwell Frost is GenZ, then Millennials is way too short. 

Fixmypcmike said:

The divisions are kind of vague, depending on the source.  I personally consider myself Gen X (born 1961), but the Pew Research Center classifies Gen X as those born between 1965-1980, Millenials/Gen Y as 1981-1996, Gen Z as 1997-2012, Gen Alpha after that.  The original Generations book by Strauss and Howe came out in 1992 -- they referred to what's now called Gen X as 13ers.

This break down, doesn't seem to correlate (in my mind) with events/ musically or politically. And... as already stated by a few in here, many people don't feel like they belong to the generation this system has divised and current journalists certainly are not using it consistently.

If Boomers came after the war, then they were born after 1945. Between 1945-1960(ish) presumably. Okay, I can go as far as 1965 when I "do the math".... but that would put anyone born in a 20 year period in the same "generation" and that just isn't "how it feels" to me. I feel like those born around 1960 - Maybe up to 1979 are "my generation. I don't think of those born after 1979 as "Millennials" But not quite Gen X either. They did see the birth of Dessert Storm as children and a 20 year long war in the dessert as they entered adulthood. I feel like that generation between 1979 - 1990 are the ones kinda lumped in with other generations. As well as those born between 1960 - 1969. Not based on "math" but on experience.

In my mind, Gen X (my generation) not only didn't see war as children, but also didn't have all the technology that came after 1989. We didn't have VHS as kids. We didn't even have a Disney movie. Cinderella came out when I was too little to see it, and The Little Mermaid came out the year I graduated. We had Walk-man's, not CD's. We had Atari, not NES. We DIDN'T see the moon landing. We didn't have computers in schools. We went to arcades and were "latch key" kids because our mothers were the "first" generation to enter the work force "en masse".... etc.

How does it "feel" to you guys? Does The Strauss and Howe theory that fixmypcmike shared, FEEL "right" to you?

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
    edited February 3

Nath said:

On generations... I agree that boundaries are muddled and depend on who is doing the defining. One thing that may cloud the issue a bit is that there are (at least) two different understandings of 'generation': "all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively. It can also be described as, "the average period, generally considered to be about 20–⁠30 years, during which children are born and grow up, become adults, and begin to have children." (Yes, I looked that up!)

The modern understanding of generation is usually 'all people born at about the same time' and is mostly split into roughly 15-year groups, either strictly by year, or also considering society as a whole, or defining it to suit your argument (sorry, my inner cynic got out for a bit).

• 1945 - 1960/1965: boomers (I'd put the boundary somewhere around '62/'63, maybe Kennedy or the Cuba Crisis)
    • 1980 - 1995/2000: millennials (boundary depending on whether you are annoyed by 'millennial' not including 2000)

LOL... So many comments, by the time, I got my thought out...laugh I can see how the definition of what a generation is could lead to all this confusion. Thanks for "looking it up" LOL

WendyLuvsCatz said:

none of it adds up, not going to hurt my head trying

I love my Glam rock, Stadium Rock, very early techno (but they did not call it that yet)

still love big hair s especially on guys but lucky if any my age have any at all

but my pretty boy renders do

I don't blame you,  Wendy! laugh LOL

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...wouldnt 1960/1965 - 1980 be the Pepsi Generation?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited February 3

I am Australian also and listened to a lot of British rock as well as Australian, likewise TV shows, fair bit of dubbed Japanese content in there too particulary cartoons

so my experieces are quite different to the American ones

my mother worked, my father being a Latvian immigrant had different views on gender related tasks and so they shared household chores

there was a lot more gender equality in 20th century Northern European countries than the British colonies

so I grew up with both parents working and doing housework together spending time with ones kids was important and was rather shocked when I got older to find a lot of other people didn't do that

Mum's family being farmers were similar in as far as work distribution

there was not this "Happy Days" Americana like culture your Boomers had, I found that show utterly fascinating BTW

after my Dad passed when I was 10 I will admit I did very much become a latchkey kid

I travelled across town to a private school by train and bus, Mum was often studying at Uni for futher degrees to increase her pay so had to cook my own meals etc

no curfews and stuff, never heard of the concept

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

kyoto kid said:

LOL! That works for me! laughlaugh

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Nath said:

In Finland, we call "Boomers" the "Large age group" and that is people born from 1945-1950. I would never consider myself to be a Boomer as I was born in 64

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am Australian also and listened to a lot of British rock as well as Australian, likewise TV shows, fair bit of dubbed Japanese content in there too particulary cartoons

so my experieces are quite different to the American ones

Admittedly, the conception of generations is pretty America-centric.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

The original Strauss-Howe theory was most definitely (and admittedly) US-centric.

I find the notion of Gen X being optimistic strange -- to me, Gen X is a classic cynical generation, like the Lost Generation, seeing the idealistic Boomers as naive.  The just-say-no-to-drugs is a Boomer creation, as they turned their idealism to protecting their kids (Millennial kids, not the Gen Xers who were skipped over by all the concern for protecting the kids).

An interesting tidbit:  there were Presidents of the WWII civic generation through Bush Senior, then straight to a Boomer, Clinton.  No Presidents from the Silent generation.  And a typical Silent will be proud of that fact.

Another tidbit:  I see Marc Cohn's "Silver Thunderbird" as a perfect example of a Gen X child (even though he was born in 1959) talking about a Silent generation parent.  

JasmineSkunk said:

See? Daria and Nevermind happened AFTER i reached adulthood. That was the 90's. I was grown by then. The internet was becoming a thing. It didn't exist in my "childhood". 

That's the point, though: that's the type of media that Gen Xers were MAKING. That's what reflects who the Gen Xers were. Culture is primarily shaped by teenagers and young adults, as children tend not to have much in the way of disposable income or, you know, personal freedom. When you were young, Gen Xers weren't shaping culture; culture was being imposed on them by Boomers. I certainly wasn't consuming media that reflected Millennials when I was young.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Remember also that there's a gap between childhood and adulthood in each generation.  TV shows like Daria (and the TV commercials of the late 90s) are classic Gen X creations.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited February 3

...when it comes down to it, I simply consider myself a crusty old curmudgeon.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

Here in the Netherlands this generation was called Generation Nothing or Generation French Fries before 'Gen X' was used. Possibly because we are/were seen as a bunch of lazy nihilist punks LOL (or to put it another way: "Meh, whatever..." and a shrug). 

Nath said:

kyoto kid said:

Here in the Netherlands this generation was called Generation Nothing or Generation French Fries before 'Gen X' was used. Possibly because we are/were seen as a bunch of lazy nihilist punks LOL (or to put it another way: "Meh, whatever..." and a shrug). 

Generation French Fries is hillarious to me! laughlaugh

JasmineSkunk said:

Nath said:

kyoto kid said:

Yay :-)

Untranslated it's Patatgeneratie. 

edited February 3

Gordig said:

JasmineSkunk said:

See? Daria and Nevermind happened AFTER i reached adulthood. That was the 90's. I was grown by then. The internet was becoming a thing. It didn't exist in my "childhood". 

That's the point, though: that's the type of media that Gen Xers were MAKING. That's what reflects who the Gen Xers were. Culture is primarily shaped by teenagers and young adults, as children tend not to have much in the way of disposable income or, you know, personal freedom. When you were young, Gen Xers weren't shaping culture; culture was being imposed on them by Boomers. I certainly wasn't consuming media that reflected Millennials when I was young.

Sorry Gordig, I missed this earlier...

So, while Curt Cobain would have been born in a time when I would call him a Gen Xer. His music (grunge) became popular after what I would call 80's music. 1980's Pop (ex:Madonna) and those 80's hair bands (like Metallica) or R&B (Michael Jackson) were a different "era" in my mind, than the grunge, punk and "alternative" music that followed directly afterward. Not that Gen X didn't like it or listen to it. I just wouldn't call those who were "teens" or "young people" that were embracing it "Gen X". That's the precise generation I don't know how to catergorize. That's the generation after mine but before "Millennials", that had computers and the internet, and their video games were consoles instead of at the arcade, and their movies were on VHS from Block Buster and less so in theaters.

Glenn Eichler (creator of Daria) was born in 1956 so would probabally be considered a "Boomer" but he made Daria for a generation that would be between Gen X and Millenials, which aired in 1997. Definitely not intended for what I consider Gen X (in my opinion).

Nath said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Nath said:

kyoto kid said:

Yay :-)

Untranslated it's Patatgeneratie. 

I definitely am happy to know that! smiley

• I was born 1964. I was not a Pepsi generation or anything like that. I am a cold war generation. For two years living in West Germany, we existed with a grab bag in the car and a knowledge that we were at 48 hrs notice of hot war, which would start with Nuclear obliteration of Western Europe, closely followed by a rain of chemical warfare agents. That was the reality of my formative years in most of the 1970's. War was not happening far away in Vietnam, it would happen to us and sear our own skin and eyes. As Wendy says, generations are different in different parts of the world. My first real musical experience was early, raw, angry Punk, ready to fight and rage at the constraints of a world apparently ready to eat itself and it's children. Regards, Richard.

richardandtracy said:

I was born 1964. I was not a Pepsi generation or anything like that. I am a cold war generation. For two years living in West Germany, we existed with a grab bag in the car and a knowledge that we were at 48 hrs notice of hot war, which would start with Nuclear obliteration of Western Europe, closely followed by a rain of chemical warfare agents. That was the reality of my formative years in most of the 1970's. War was not happening far away in Vietnam, it would happen to us and sear our own skin and eyes. As Wendy says, generations are different in different parts of the world. My first real musical experience was early, raw, angry Punk, ready to fight and rage at the constraints of a world apparently ready to eat itself and it's children. Regards, Richard.

Thank you for sharing that. I do find it interesting to hear what others were experiencing around the world. Especially during times when, myself in the US, wasn't being exposed to that kind of thing. Not in our media, or classrooms. Insightful. Thank you

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I had to Google Daria because I have never heard of it surprise

Just to clarify, I think it should be something like:

1945-1960 Boomers

1960 - 1975 Gen X

1975 - 1990 SOMETHING (currently unnamed)

1990 - 2005 Millennial

2005 - 2020 Gen Z

• And I am Gen Let's-avoid-political-discussions-eh?

Richard Haseltine said:

And I am Gen Let's-avoid-political-discussions-eh?

Okay, Richard.  smileyheart

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

The "Old Folks" wisdom that I learned as a child was that a life is divided into eleven seven year periods.  And a few suffered one or two more. indecision

LeatherGryphon said:

The "Old Folks" wisdom that I learned as a child was that a life is divided into eleven seven year periods.  And a few suffered one or two more. indecision

That feels like it makes sense to me. smiley

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited February 3

I lost track... did the demented blueberry start this?... Generally blueberries don't identify as a particular generation because they either rot or get eaten within a few days...

As far as what generation I identify with, I find that whole generation thing rather pedantic, punctilious and decorous... mainly because I'm not really sure what those words mean and I'm not going to look them up... I think pedantic has something to do with pendulum ownership or swinging from them and maybe decorous mean having penchant for decorating things... possibly with little pendulums or pendulous objects... punctilious is probably something dealing with tasty punctuations like cinnamon sugar commas or fudge ellipses... 

I also feel the whole generation thing is proglobulent if you are a mechtinatious individual with saletenifacliate valiconiferious memories of past lives or at least are in touch with genetically transporculated ancestral memories... Like technically if you are a baby boomer and don't go around making loud baby noises constantly (I'm assuming that's what "baby booming" is) but are instead deathly afraid of being mauled by a saber tooth weasel or stepped on by a wooly porcupine, are you still considered a baby boomer or just a person with weird, but historically justified fears?

My point was... well was going to be, something about how I just made up a bunch of words because I was too lazy to look up better words because the internet sucks at understanding what synonyms actually are beyond the most common usages and more sophisticated ones (in a satirical sense) pretty much require an actual thesaurus made out of dead trees, which unfortunately I'm too lazy to go into the other room to look for... it's huge and not hard to find, but since it's just easier to make stuff up, I chose that...
    But that wasn't actually my point either because I rarely have a point... I was going to go on about how basically people keep making up words and it's not about whether it's right or wrong or intellectually nanotactutant (sorry I did it again), but how often others end up using the word, before it becomes an actual word or possibly saying... like "on accident" instead of "by accident" which probably replaced "through accident" or something equally transporculant like that...  

So basically it went on like that for a while, but got boring so I deleted all that and wrote this instead which easier to read until you get to the part where I go on about if you remember that time you were in Pompeii and that guy in the tunic was saying that the mountain was fine and the extra smoke and rumbling was the because the big snake that lived in Vesuvius was gassy because he ate too many isicia omentata at Jupiter's shindig the other night and how disappointingly wrong he was, which is now why you have a fear of molten rock and trusting the advice of random tunic clad individuals that could fastulactantly interfere with what generation classification you identify with, which is now... being that that was such a long run-on sentence, what I meant was I deleted everything until this point... well that point which led to this point which actually made no point...

So in lieu of a point, please focus on my Stupid Blueberry and ponder what might have led to... A) me sticking tiny googly eyes on a blueberry... B) making teeth and a tongue for said blueberry... C) Taking a picture of it and posting it, in open admission of the fact that I do stuff like that.. D) having a source for such tiny googly eyes in the first place... 

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited February 3

Demented blueberry?  Well... I started it. It was just a musing that got lost. I will go now and join it. Bon Appetit!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

Korpin.Sulat said:

McGyver said:

Since everyone was talking about socks, I figured I'd share a photo of some socks I came across in a store earlier...

These are the only ones I need. I could make Mr. Sock jokes all dang day long.

Mr Spock Socks 

• The Blueberry obviously heard it was less of a superfood than the Bilberry. Often picked Bilberries up on the West Country Moors (Exmoor, Dartmoor and Bodmin Moor), and also the Quantock Hills. They're a plant that loves acidic Temperate Cloud Forest conditions.
This discussion has been closed.