The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

While our cats have played with all their toys, I'd say they've spent much more time playing with bottle caps and random pieces of paper than anything else.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I bring feathers home for my cat

I often find them on my walks

I don't pluck the dead birds I mentioned earlier devil

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

I use to have a big orange tabby , who loved to play fetch with crumbled up cigarette packs  ,he'd bring them to me to throw ,and he'd fetch them back for almost an hour when he was in the mood when he wasn't he'd hide them under the fridge.If he was isn the mood he'd even take the pack out of the garbage and bring it to someone to throw for him .....

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

When she was a kitten, my oldest would drag the stick with a ribbon on it to me so we could play. Sometimes, they do weird me out with those little quarks. I got one of those huge Maglite flashlights that hold four D-size batteries; if you shine it on the ceiling and adjust the beam, she hurries away. I got like four of those. They make great Billy clubs.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Regarding Cats:  I had a cat that played fetch.yes  Male Russian-Blue.  Small, lithe, very long tail, soft silky gray fur.  My favorite cat of all.  Loved to play catch with crumpled up 4x5 inch pieces of note paper.  Loved the way it would bounce in his paws and he'd go chasing it a couple times then bring it back to me for a new launch into a far room for a good run.

Complaint:  I came here just now to post a complaint, but forgot it while writing about my cat.frown

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727
    I would say the absolute best use for a complaint forum would be to forget what you were complaining about and start talking about playing fetch with a furry friend. Or a cat.

It does take your mind off the fact that there is no such thing as random murders and robberies when it involves your evil twin.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Our cats (all passed now, alas) had a range of reactions to toys, crumpled paper, and the evil water pistol.  Reverie loved to play fetch with crumpled paper.  Kendra, the brains of the operation, immediately sussed out that the human hand controlled things and went for the hand when she felt like it.  Amanda was a throwback, a moron despite being of a normally intelligent breed.  If you sprayed her with a water pistol when she was on furniture she shouldn't have been, she would just look around, trying to figure out why it was suddenly raining.

edited January 31

Non-complaint:  I've remembered my complaint.yes

Complaint:  I finally got around to watching the last of the handful of movies I rented through Amazon Prime Video.  I'd said earlier that "they were the few worthwhile movies of 2023 that I'd been waiting for", to come to cheap streaming sites (because: no car, limited income).  At $6 each, they were mostly pretty good, especially "Marlowe", and "Oppenheimer".yes  However "Indiana Jones4" and "John Wick4" weren't bad, just unsurprising examples of their particular genre. indecision

But the last of my "worthy" movies was the latest of the "Guardians Of The Galaxy" franchise.  The only thing I liked about it was the backstory of Rocket Raccoon.yes  The rest of it was just too stupid for me.  This movie suffers from Trilogy Disease.  Exciting first movie, exaggerated second movie, dumb third movie, and not worth my $6cheeky

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

Non-Complaint: Back at my favorite library in Raleigh.  I was able to check out a book I want to read.  I finally set up my computer to do research in peace.

Complaint: I only have about 13 to 18 minutes to be on the computer so I don't have my ride waiting for me.  I didn't find two books I wanted, aka Twilight and Vampire Academy so I requested them.

Non-Complaint: I set it up in Feburary that every Tuesday I come to this library.  Might need to push back the return time.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited January 30

WendyLuvsCatz said:

That was where my mind went the moment I read that second sentence... but why not... I feel the birds would not want their pretty feathers wasted.

At least that's what I'd tell people... honestly I'm just cheap and never pass up anything I can take parts from that I find on the side of the road.

Post edited by McGyver on

McGyver said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

That was where my mind went the moment I read that second sentence... but why not... I feel the birds would not want their pretty feathers wasted.

At least that's what I'd tell people... honestly I'm just cheap and never pass up anything I can take parts from that I find on the side of the road.

when I saw the rosella the thought briefly crossed my mind surprise but my revulsion at the thought of touching a dead thing won out

edited January 30

McGyver said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Well, if you're into collecting heavy metal, there's lots of beheaded and otherwise dead Russian tanks laying about (or in) the roads in the Donetsk region of The Ukraine.enlightened  (AYOR) 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited January 30

...yeah, In pretty much all Russian tanks (even their latest model the T-90) the shells are stored under the crew area.  If a rocket or grenade detonates inside, they tend to cook off all at once with a massive explosion that can send the 2 metric tonne turret airborne..

In tanks like the Abram's and Leopard, the shells are stored in an armoured compartment behind the turret.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

I store my shells in jars... they hardly ever explode... the horseshoe crab shells scare the hell out of people sometimes... probably because I don't store them in anything and there are a bunch of them lying around in my shop... actually there are lots of various sea monster bones and large spider crab parts lying around... I'm making something out of them and eventually I'll probably finish it... probably... I'm very easily distracted.

Distracted:  Train wreck.indecision

• kyoto kid said:

...yeah, In pretty much all Russian tanks (even their latest model the T-90) the shells are stored under the crew area.  If a rocket or grenade detonates inside, they tend to cook off all at once with a massive explosion that can send the 2 metric tonne turret airborne..

In tanks like the Abram's and Leopard, the shells are stored in an armoured compartment behind the turret.

There is also a design problem with the Soviet Era tanks in that the auto loader feeds shells to the main gun alternately around a track at the turret ring. Means explosives are already in the best spot ready & waiting to destroy the turret ring restraints. The modern shoulder launched anti-tank weapons are tank killers without that help, but the positioning of the shells makes for spectacular pyrotechnics.

My grandfather in WW2, just before Dunkirk, had a 2lb anti-tank field gun (along with 5 other crew). Apparently the gun could never penetrate the front armour of a Panzer however close it was fired, and had to be at less than 100 yards range to even hope for damage on the side armour. Naturally, they were spectacularly unsuccessful at knocking any tanks out of action, and had to retire to the UK fairly rapidly after almost everyone found out how good the tanks of the time were at defeating the anti-tank weaponry.

Regards,

Richard

edited January 31

Non-complaint:  I escaped my cave for a couple of hours.  Wheee... a mini-adventure.yes  Took the local bus to the nearest bigger town. No banking needed, no laundry, no doctor's appointments, no prescriptions to pick up.  Just a bee-in-my-bonnet, and a hankerin' for breakfast at BurgerKing.blush  But I did carry a cloth grocery bag with me and after breakfast took a walk to the nearby TOPs grocery store.  A proper grocery store with things that my local grocery doesn't carry (i.e. Folger's Decaf Instant Coffee!  Yay!.smiley

Complaint:   They only had one jar of my long sought coffee.  I was prepared to buy at least two or three jars, but they only had the one, and it was $9.50  (a few months ago it was $6.50 in the storesad  But hey, at least now I have several weeks to find another jar.  Lots of other brands of decaf coffee on the shelf, but I wasn't feeling adventurous.indecision

Non-complaint:  But I also found a big box of "Wheaties" cereal.  Yay, happy, happy, joy, joy.yes  Apparently "Wheaties" (like "Grape Nuts") are now considered to be "old-people cereal" and not carried in small groceries anymore where shelves are full of sugar coated hyper-zoomies cereal, but I guess "Wheaties" doesn't have enough zip to be popular.  Last time I found Wheaties was at a Wal-Mart Super-Store (on the lowest shelf).

Per usual, I had to take an UBER back to home, but I caught them during the lowest fare period of the day.  Saved a few bucks.cool

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  I escaped my cave for a couple of hours.  Wheee... a mini-adventure.yes  Took the local bus to the nearest bigger town. No banking needed, no laundry, no doctor's appointments, no prescriptions to pick up.  Just a bee-in-my-bonnet, and a hankerin' for breakfast at BurgerKing.blush  But I did carry a cloth grocery bag with me and after breakfast took a walk to the nearby TOPs grocery store.  A proper grocery store with things that my local grocery doesn't carry (i.e. Folger's Decaf Instant Coffee!  Yay!.smiley

Complaint:   They only had one jar of my long sought coffee.  I was prepared to buy at least two or three jars, but they only had the one, and it was $9.50  (a few months ago it was $6.50 in the storesad  But hey, at least now I have several weeks to find another jar.  Lots of other brands of decaf coffee on the shelf, but I wasn't feeling adventurous.indecision

Non-complaint:  But I also found a big box of "Wheaties" cereal.  Yay, happy, happy, joy, joy.yes  Apparently "Wheaties" (like "Grape Nuts") are now considered to be "old-people cereal" and not carried in small groceries anymore where shelves are full of sugar coated hyper-zoomies cereal, but I guess "Wheaties" doesn't have enough zip to be popular.  Last time I found Wheaties was at a Wal-Mart Super-Store (on the lowest shelf).

Per usual, I had to take an UBER back to home, but I caught them during the lowest fare period of the day.  Saved a few bucks.cool

...I used to remember when Wheaties were pretty inexpensive.  I was in the neighbourhood Safeway the other day and the price was 8.49$ for a 15 oz box   Also used ot love the big biscuit Shredded Wheat "big biscuits" which today costs 5.99$  I still buy the latter as I get 9 mornings of brekkies (2 biscuits ea).  I'm lucky to get 5 mornings out of a box of Wheaties. 

I am pretty certain popcorn counts as a cereal cheeky

well that's my excuse

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,505
    edited February 1

For some reason the anti-sugar brigade have got their teeth into breakfast cereal here in the UK. I used to enjoy a nice Swiss Style Museli. Now it has to be sugar free & tastes like cardboard, then there are the 'Fruit & Nut Museli' replacements which taste like cardboard and have the texture of gravel, followed by US style Granola, which is simply a dispicable assault on the digestion. I may have to resort to making my own. Or, horror of horrors, revert to porridge. My school days were interrupted by porridge. The school provided 'Thick' or 'Thin'. Thick porridge was like a lump of mostly set concrete which slid around the breakfast bowl as a single grey lump lubricated by molten golden syrup, never sticking to the bowl. Thin porridge was grey slime with half inch lumps of thick porridge adding bulk. Neither were appetising, but may have been slightly better than cardboard.

Regards

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

richardandtracy said:

For some reason the anti-sugar brigade have got their teeth into breakfast cereal here in the UK. I used to enjoy a nice Swiss Style Museli. Now it has to be sugar free & tastes like cardboard, then there are the 'Fruit & Nut Museli' replacements which taste like cardboard and have the texture of gravel, followed by US style Granola, which is simply a dispicable assault on the digestion. I may have to resort to making my own. Or, horror of horrors, revert to porridge. My school days were interrupted by porridge. The school provided 'Thick' or 'Thin'. Thick porridge was like a lump of mostly set concrete which slid around the breakfast bowl as a single grey lump lubricated by molten golden syrup, never sticking to the bowl. Thin porridge was grey slime with half inch lumps of thick porridge adding bulk. Neither were appetising, but may have been slightly better than cardboard.

No wonder that the parents over here are all over social media, complaining about school lunch that is made by UK based company winkcheeky

edited February 1

Price of Wheaties:  (@KyotoKid)  Well, they say that everything happens first on the left coast.  My 15 oz. box of Wheaties yesterday was only $6.79.  I'm not looking forward to $8.50.frown  I  use probably a little less than a cup per bowl.   I don't know how many bowls I get from it, but probably at least 8 or 9 by time I pour out the last sand sized crumbles.  But Wheaties is one of those cereals that you have to eat quickly after adding the milk, before it loses all pretense to crispness, and turns into a soggy sludge (thus small bowls, or eat very fast).enlightened

• PerttiA said:

richardandtracy said:

No wonder that the parents over here are all over social media, complaining about school lunch that is made by UK based company winkcheeky

There are good reasons why some elements of UK cooking don't have a great reputation. Some is superb, but you're not going to see that in 'Industrial' catering. I would like to mention that my school cooked everything on the premisis, and did not torture anyone else with the stuff.

Regards,

Richard.

• Food comments & complaints: 

@WendyLuvsCats, I haven't fact-checked it but I read somewhere that popcorn was originally a Native American breakfast food. Yum!

@richardandtracy Your UK school breakfast horrors remind me of my US school lunches. Pizza = dubious white bread slice, something vaguely resembling melted American cheese, mystery meat, all soaked in neon orange grease. Any questions as to why I refused to try (real) pizza until I was 12 or 13? 

How I got my first lunch box: Dad dropped me off at school by lunchroom. Dad: What is that horrible smell? Must be the garbage dumpster. Me, age 6: No, Daddy, that's our lunch. 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Food comments & complaints: 

@WendyLuvsCats, I haven't fact-checked it but I read somewhere that popcorn was originally a Native American breakfast food. Yum!

@richardandtracy Your UK school breakfast horrors remind me of my US school lunches. Pizza = dubious white bread slice, something vaguely resembling melted American cheese, mystery meat, all soaked in neon orange grease. Any questions as to why I refused to try (real) pizza until I was 12 or 13? 

How I got my first lunch box: Dad dropped me off at school by lunchroom. Dad: What is that horrible smell? Must be the garbage dumpster. Me, age 6: No, Daddy, that's our lunch. 

I hated the smell of school pizza!  In fact, I started to skip luch altogether, partly because of the bad smells in the cafeteria.  Brought my own in a brown bag for a while in high school, but bullies (mostly jocks) started punching holes in it with their pencils...yuck!  

edited February 1

Non-complaint:  Cookies:  Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with walnut pieces.  Four and 1/4 dozen, fresh out of the oven.  Mmmmmm....  heart  Last batch of the year.  Used up my chocolate chips, walnuts, oatmeal, sugar, brown sugar, Crisco, and vanilla.  Resulting in an emptied "cookie kit" box and have thrown it away, till next year.   Yay, more room in the kitchen.  And I've got cookies!  Wheee.yes  One dozen to the neighbors, one dozen to another friend, and 2 1/4 dozen for me... Mwa-ha-ha.smiley

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

Just got an antenna for my tv.  Setting it up right now.  Why is HSN an over-the-air channel?

Need to go back to finding the "favorite" channels.

• LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Cookies:  Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with walnut pieces.  Four and 1/4 dozen, fresh out of the oven.  Mmmmmm....  heart  Last batch of the year.  Used up my chocolate chips, walnuts, oatmeal, sugar, brown sugar, Crisco, and vanilla.  Resulting in an emptied "cookie kit" box and have thrown it away, till next year.   Yay, more room in the kitchen.  And I've got cookies!  Wheee.yes  One dozen to the neighbors, one dozen to another friend, and 2 1/4 dozen for me... Mwa-ha-ha.smiley

Serious complaint: I don't have chocolate chips or cocoa powder, so can't bake any tonight.

Complaint: Sweet tooth acting out.angry

Non-Complain Oberwies delivers.laugh

Complaint Sugar coma.crying

This discussion has been closed.