The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited February 2

Since everyone was talking about socks, I figured I'd share a photo of some socks I came across in a store earlier...

I'm not sure what's going on there but... uh... well... They are $1.25 each, so I suppose as a gag gift, angry Shemp with a label maker is an okay idea.

I'm trying to figure out who the other two guys are... I'm assuming the guy in the yellow shirt is that guy from that TikTok who got stung by all those hornets... Red shirt guy is maybe the dad from Arrested Development?... 

But $1.25 isn't bad for mildly non-flammable socks.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited February 2

So not sure if this is a complaint or not ,I did a grocery pick up today and I turned on to my street to go home ,noticed what at first glance looked like a pony running along side of the road ,I had my windows down cause the weather was lovely ,slowed down to a crawl as I got even with the "pony" and it tries to come in my driver side window .I hit the brakes and push it down/out,turns  out it's a Great Dane !!! It goes around the car and climbs in the passenger window ,and just sits in the passenger seat.I think I was in shock I did ask him ,what I was suppose to do with him.....then I finished driving home , at which point he climbed over me to get out almost taking me to the ground.He checked out the yard whined at the door ,then almost pushed me off the ramp ,getting past me ,I opened the kitchen door and he squeezed past me again ,right until my Big Bird screamed at him and he freaked out and jumped at the Bird cage ,I think he was being playful but he was huge ,his shoulder was at my waist ,his head at my shoulder!! I chased him out ,away from the bird with my broom.He ran next door and freaked out the neighbor ,by jumping into their truck ,then he followed them back down the road  towards where he'd hitched the ride with me .Have to say he was beautiful ,black/slate grey  ,with blue/grey eyes ,seemed to be young ,maybe a year old ,had marks from a collar ,but no collar and I think somebody dumped him. I'm in no way ready for another dog yet and even if I was it would not be pony sized ,but it's still a shame if someone dumped him......

So that was my adventure ........

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

did you ring the dog pound?

• Hi again all; glad you all survived the cold weather a couple weeks ago!  It's been in the 40s and 50s here.  I have the A/C set to heat to 75 and chill to 79.  The waterbed is set to 81.  I don't do Celsius; I can barely spell it. 

Got a new dryer vent cleaning kit from Amazon, so that's what my Friday morning is going to be all about.  I also have to replace the vent cover on the outside of the house because there's no critter flapper in the original one.  And here in Florida, we have a lot of the same kinds of critters as folks in Australia, Central America, and South America.  That is...critters with stingers and other critters with teeth.  Or critters that will get squished if they venture too far into the dryer itself!

Have a great weekend!  I'll be cooking steaks, pork chops, and chicken drumsticks...once the dryer has been sorted.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

WendyLuvsCatz said:

did you ring the dog pound?

I would have if he was still here ........

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

carrie58 said:

So not sure if this is a complaint or not ,I did a grocery pick up today and I turned on to my street to go home ,noticed what at first glance looked like a pony running along side of the road ,I had my windows down cause the weather was lovely ,slowed down to a crawl as I got even with the "pony" and it tries to come in my driver side window .I hit the brakes and push it down/out,turns  out it's a Great Dane !!! It goes around the car and climbs in the passenger window ,and just sits in the passenger seat.I think I was in shock I did ask him ,what I was suppose to do with him.....then I finished driving home , at which point he climbed over me to get out almost taking me to the ground.He checked out the yard whined at the door ,then almost pushed me off the ramp ,getting past me ,I opened the kitchen door and he squeezed past me again ,right until my Big Bird screamed at him and he freaked out and jumped at the Bird cage ,I think he was being playful but he was huge ,his shoulder was at my waist ,his head at my shoulder!! I chased him out ,away from the bird with my broom.He ran next door and freaked out the neighbor ,by jumping into their truck ,then he followed them back down the road  towards where he'd hitched the ride with me .Have to say he was beautiful ,black/slate grey  ,with blue/grey eyes ,seemed to be young ,maybe a year old ,had marks from a collar ,but no collar and I think somebody dumped him. I'm in no way ready for another dog yet and even if I was it would not be pony sized ,but it's still a shame if someone dumped him......

So that was my adventure ........

I believe the way it’s supposed to go is you wait for the dog to bark and then you say,

“What was that?”

Then the dog barks again and you say

“Billy’s in trouble?”

Then a few barks later, you’re walking in the meadow where the dog stops at one of those old refrigerators with a latch instead of a magnet so you can’t open it from the inside. Then you open the refrigerator and Billy hops out and everything’s okay.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

McGyver said:

Since everyone was talking about socks, I figured I'd share a photo of some socks I came across in a store earlier...

I'm not sure what's going on there but... uh... well... They are $1.25 each, so I suppose as a gag gift, angry Shemp with a label maker is an okay idea.

I'm trying to figure out who the other two guys are... I'm assuming the guy in the yellow shirt is that guy from that TikTok who got stung by all those hornets... Red shirt guy is maybe the dad from Arrested Development?... 

But $1.25 isn't bad for mildly non-flammable socks.

Apparently you forgot to say where they are available.  Apparently they are at Walmart. 

edited February 2

Sfariah D said:

Apparently you forgot to say where they are available.  Apparently they are at Walmart. 

Oh, sorry... I didn't think anyone would want them or for it to sound like a commercial endorsement... that was actually at Dollar Twenty Five Tree (the former dollar items are all $1.25 now, so the they need to rename the place, as "Dollar Tree" is inaccurate)... I didn't know Walmart carries them too... I figured they were in Dollar Twenty Five Tree because they didn't sell elsewhere because nobody got why Shemp was so angry, why he was menacing the world with a label maker and who Shemp is in the first place... I know the tags say "Star Trek", but if they are Trek characters I'm not seeing it.

The Dollar Trees around here got rid of a lot of stuff to make room for $5 items... I don't know if they are aware that there is already a $5 store called Five Below... Well, technically there is hardly anything below $5 in Five Below, besides penny candy which are now like 20¢ each... they decided to add $10 items to the store and most of the formerly $5 items are over $5... So technically they should be "Five Above" or "Just A Store"...  
    Isn't it fun when Activist Investors get foot in the door?...
    Well at least everyone has unlimited quantities of cash or all these ridiculous price hikes would be an unsustainable business model.

Also...

I'm thinking the Sock Market is heading to a collapse... like every mall now has at least three novelty sock stores... At like $10 for a pair of Sailor Moon or Pokemon socks, I just don't see that as sustainable either... I think if anyone here has invested heavily in socks, now is a good time to bail.

Remember the Pog and Beanie Babies bubbles... 

Post edited by McGyver on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

McGyver said:

I'm thinking the Sock Market is heading to a collapse... like every mall now has at least three novelty sock stores... At like $10 for a pair of Sailor Moon or Pokemon socks, I just don't see that as sustainable either... I think if anyone here has invested heavily in socks, now is a good time to bail.

Too early in the year, knitted socks are needed at least for three more months 

So, according to my research, "Shemp" is actually Shirley Hemphill's brand of socks. And everybody was trying to figure out what was happening and it turned out to be the socks. They are no longer in production but remaining stock can be purchased at Three Hundred and Below for about $400.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

I never thought Dollar Tree was accurate -- many of them don't even have trees, and I tried all the trees I could find and never got any dollars.  Even the parking tickets I got were way over $1.

• McGyver said:

These are the only ones I need. I could make Mr. Sock jokes all dang day long.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited February 3

Ah, Star Trek stuff:  I'm an old Trekkie.  Saw the original series when it was new, my first year in college.  Then loved the Next Generation, and most of the followup series.  But at one time I bought an original "Communicator Badge" from the STNG era(almost 40 years ago).  It even beeped when I tapped it.  Cool!cool  I still have it, and it's original presentation case*. Unfortunately, the battery died.  I've forced it apart and changed the battery, but the beeper diaphragm is rusty and has kicked the bucket too.  It now sounds like the 5 millisecond noise emited by a squirrel that is being stepped on by a rhinoceros, when heard from 50 feet away. (don't ask me why I said that).  But I still get mileage from it.  If someone notices it, they invariably want to hear it, but I just say "Sorry, it only beeps properly as a confirmation of an open channel, and I was left here in the past and there's no ships in this time period to reply to it."

* The Communicator Badge is part of my display of movie related items, that includes Severus Snape's wand, The One Ring, Merlin's Hourglass, a Time Turner, and a Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

Ah, Star Trek stuff:  I'm an old Trekkie.  Saw the original series when it was new, my first year in college.  Then loved the Next Generation, and most of the followup series.  But at one time I bought an original "Communicator Badge" from the STNG era(almost 40 years ago).  It even beeped when I tapped it.  Cool!cool  I still have it, and it's original presentation case*. Unfortunately, the battery died.  I've forced it apart and changed the battery, but the beeper diaphragm is rusty and has kicked the bucket too.  It now sounds like the 5 millisecond noise emited by a squirrel that is being stepped on by a rhinoceros, when heard from 50 feet away. (don't ask me why I said that).  But I still get mileage from it.  If someone notices it, they invariably want to hear it, but I just say "Sorry, it only beeps properly as a confirmation of an open channel, and I was left here in the past and there's no ships in this time period to reply to it."

* The Communicator Badge is part of my display of movie related items, that includes Severus Snape's wand, The One Ring, Merlin's Hourglass, a Time Turner, and a Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass.

I was 5 when I watched the original series.  When they switched it to a 10pm time slot 3rd season I got special dispensation to stay up to watch it.  Didn't like the TNG pilot -- didn't really start watching it until 3rd season.  I loved DS9 from the beginning; alas, I seem to be a rarity in preferring DS9 over the other sequels. 

I grew up watching Star Trek,

my Dad who passed when I was 10 in 1972 loved it

he was fond of all science fiction

we watched Dr Who too

I didn't get so much into TNG (watched intermittedly) but watched all the movies featuring the actors, however I did watch star Trek Voyager religiously

not seen the recent movies with new actors

LeatherGryphon said:

"Sorry, it only beeps properly as a confirmation of an open channel, and I was left here in the past and there's no ships in this time period to reply to it."

So all you have to do is repurpose an EasyBake oven to send a distress signal into space, being careful to beam it in the direction of a location where you know there will be a ship or space station in the future. In the time it takes for that low power signal to reach its destination, it will be centuries in to the future and they can do fancy math to calculate the time and location of the signal's origin.

Or if you're feeling lucky, you could whisper to random people to tell all of their future generations you're stuck here and there will be that one in a thousand person who

a. Takes you seriously and

b. All of the future generations they pass the message on to take you seriously and

c. Their great great great great great granddaughter is a rebellious ensign on a starship with the wherewithal to commandeer the ship for a time traveling rescue mission, an act which would have had her gravely punished but

d. she succeeds and is forgiven because she recovered somebody stuck in the past and saved the fabric of time.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

Fixmypcmike said:

LeatherGryphon said:

I was 5 when I watched the original series.  When they switched it to a 10pm time slot 3rd season I got special dispensation to stay up to watch it.  Didn't like the TNG pilot -- didn't really start watching it until 3rd season.  I loved DS9 from the beginning; alas, I seem to be a rarity in preferring DS9 over the other sequels. 

Anything and everything Star Trek, I still got Star Trek Comics. I see everything put out to this date except one, and I refuse to watch it—that New Cartoon Star Trek: Lower Decks on Paramount. I did watch the crossover on Star Trek Strange New Worlds; I think it was with the Guardian of Time.

Don't you hate it when you buy blueberries... there's always that one weird one that messes up the whole bunch...

• AgitatedRiot said:

Fixmypcmike said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Anything and everything Star Trek, I still got Star Trek Comics. I see everything put out to this date except one, and I refuse to watch it—that New Cartoon Star Trek: Lower Decks on Paramount. I did watch the crossover on Star Trek Strange New Worlds; I think it was with the Guardian of Time.

I don't watch any of the new Star Trek series, mostly because they require a subscription to something or other.  Amazon Prime is all I have time for anyway, and the only things I watch on that are Reacher and Leverage.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited February 3

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  I escaped my cave for a couple of hours.  Wheee... a mini-adventure.yes  Took the local bus to the nearest bigger town. No banking needed, no laundry, no doctor's appointments, no prescriptions to pick up.  Just a bee-in-my-bonnet, and a hankerin' for breakfast at BurgerKing.blush  But I did carry a cloth grocery bag with me and after breakfast took a walk to the nearby TOPs grocery store.  A proper grocery store with things that my local grocery doesn't carry (i.e. Folger's Decaf Instant Coffee!  Yay!.smiley

Complaint:   They only had one jar of my long sought coffee.  I was prepared to buy at least two or three jars, but they only had the one, and it was $9.50  (a few months ago it was $6.50 in the storesad  But hey, at least now I have several weeks to find another jar.  Lots of other brands of decaf coffee on the shelf, but I wasn't feeling adventurous.indecision

Non-complaint:  But I also found a big box of "Wheaties" cereal.  Yay, happy, happy, joy, joy.yes  Apparently "Wheaties" (like "Grape Nuts") are now considered to be "old-people cereal" and not carried in small groceries anymore where shelves are full of sugar coated hyper-zoomies cereal, but I guess "Wheaties" doesn't have enough zip to be popular.  Last time I found Wheaties was at a Wal-Mart Super-Store (on the lowest shelf).

Per usual, I had to take an UBER back to home, but I caught them during the lowest fare period of the day.  Saved a few bucks.cool

YAY!! Sounds like a good day! smiley It's good to get out and feed our muse sometimes!

Today I'm pondering something unimportant but it's sort of curious to me... About those "zoomies"

So... here's the thing. I keep hearing peope categorizing generations into these "titles". Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, Zoomers... etc. But the math doesn't add up to me... or I think we have a forgotten generation.... or something. Hear me out. LOL

Okay, so whenevever I hear people do this they always talk about their ages in 15 yr increments. Like: 29-45 yrs olds, for example. And they seem to be "moving" around the age they think "Boomers" were brought into this world. I am 52. I am not a "Boomer". I was born in 1971 and graduated high school in 1989. Definitely, I am Gen X. So.... I started doing the math in my head. If each generation is 15 yrs "long", it would begin in 1945 and those "Boomers" would be those who were born after WWII, so: 1945 - 1960. Then those born 1960 -1975 would be Gen X. But here's where it gets lost for me because my son's generation, those "Millennials" (Gen Y) that everyone chastised and ridiculed are supposed to have been born between 1990 and 2005. Then Gen Z is 2005 - 2020. And Now we're on "Alpha", I guess...

Okay, so.... what about those people born 1975 - 1990?? 

I think they didn't get a generational name for some reason. A "lost" generation. So, it seems, people try to combine it with surrounding generations.  Or they try to "stretch those generations into larger groups, so that the "boomer" gets applied to anyone older than 50. They try to make it sound like "Boomers" were anyone born prior to 1975. And that it's those born 1975- 1990 that were Gen X. But that would mean the "boomer" generation lasted 30 yrs!! I'd be in the same generation as my parents, who were the actual "Boomers".  But, I remember being called Gen X in the 80's when I was in high school. It doesn't make sense. I don't think of anyone born after 1960 as a "boomer". It confuses me. LOL

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
    edited February 3

The divisions are kind of vague, depending on the source.  I personally consider myself Gen X (born 1961), but the Pew Research Center classifies Gen X as those born between 1965-1980, Millenials/Gen Y as 1981-1996, Gen Z as 1997-2012, Gen Alpha after that.  The original Generations book by Strauss and Howe came out in 1992 -- they referred to what's now called Gen X as 13ers.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,885

JasmineSkunk said:

Okay, so whenevever I hear people do this they always talk about their ages in 15 yr increments. Like: 29-45 yrs olds, for example. And they seem to be "moving" around the age they think "Boomers" were brought into this world. I am 52. I am not a "Boomer". I was born in 1971 and graduated high school in 1989. Definitely, I am Gen X. So.... I started doing the math in my head. If each generation is 15 yrs "long", it would begin in 1945 and those "Boomers" would be those who were born after WWII, so: 1945 - 1960. Then those born 1960 -1975 would be Gen X. But here's where it gets lost for me because my son's generation, those "Millennials" (Gen Y) that everyone chastised and ridiculed are supposed to have been born between 1990 and 2005. Then Gen Z is 2005 - 2020. And Now we're on "Alpha", I guess...

Okay, so.... what about those people born 1975 - 1990?? 

I think they didn't get a generational name for some reason. A "lost" generation. So, it seems, people try to combine it with surrounding generations.  Or they try to "stretch those generations into larger groups, so that the "boomer" gets applied to anyone older than 50. They try to make it sound like "Boomers" were anyone born prior to 1975. But that would mean the "boomer" generation lasted 30 yrs!! I'd be in the same generation as my parents, who were the actual "Boomers". It doesn't make sense. I don't think of anyone born after 1960 as a "boomer". It confuses me. LOL

I was born in 1983, and I'm a millennial. The generations are more like 18 years than 15: Boomers were '46-'64, Gen X '65-'80, Millennials '81-'90. It's not an exact science, obviously.

edited February 3

Fixmypcmike said:

The divisions are kind of vague, depending on the source.  I personally consider myself Gen X (born 1961), but the Pew Research Center classifies Gen X as those born between 1965-1980, Millenials/Gen Y as 1981-1996, Gen Z as 1997-2012, Gen Alpha after that.  The original Generations book by Strauss and Howe came out in 1992 -- they referred to what's now called Gen X as 13ers.

They are kinda vague.. and not consistent between journalists and authors. I get why the "Boomers" were called that. they were the result of the baby boom that happened after the war. But every "generaton" after it seems to be a little fuzzy. What makes a "generaton" anyway? Music? Political era / Wars? 

Gordig said:

I was born in 1983, and I'm a millennial. The generations are more like 18 years than 15: Boomers were '46-'64, Gen X '65-'80, Millennials '81-'90. It's not an exact science, obviously.

Right.! So what's it supposed to mean? LOL What's the point? Is there one?

LOL! told ya it was an unimportant pondering! laugh

edited February 3

The Strauss and Howe theory was that there's a "normal" progression of generations, and where in the cycle you are impacts how great upheavals like wars turn out.  The "normal" progression is Idealist - Cynic - Civic - Silent.  Taking WWII as an example of a good alignment, the leaders (e.g. FDR) were Idealists from the Missionary generation.  Idealists are good for inspiring.  The generals and strategists, however, were Cynics from the Lost generation.  Cynics are pragmatists.  The soldiers on the ground were Civics -- part of what makes them civic-minded is having faith in the leaders and strategists.  WWI was in the wrong alignment -- the soldiers on the ground were the cynics and their commanders were idealists.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited February 3

well I was born 1962 and never identified as a Boomer

all my music tastes etc are definitely GenX

I really don't care for labels anyway and I read that book when it came out too, I was very interested in psychology, anthropology and crap back then

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

JasmineSkunk said:

What makes a "generaton" anyway? Music? Political era / Wars? 

All of the above, and more. Generations are a bit amorphous, but they're not entirely baseless. Boomers were born in the shadow of WWII, and created and consumed media that was generally very positive about the future; Gen Xers were born in the years surrounding and containing the Vietnam war, and their media tended to reflect a sense of purposelessness and resignation, and so on. There are broad social, cultural and political trends that characterize the overall generation, but obviously people are individuals.

edited February 3

See, I was alive for much of this. Not all of it. But, how I think of it is something like this:

"Boomers" were not the "Leave it to Beaver" adults. They were it's children. They were teenagers/ young adults during the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam war, and "came of age" as adults in the early 70's, when they began to have children: Generation X. Genration X then, grows up in the 70's and 80's and gives birth to those Millennials in the early 90's. Then those Millennials had kids -- who are STILL kids: Generation Z, aka Zoomers. Those Zoomers aren't adults yet. How could we be in Generation Alpha already?

So, basically.... how I think of each generation doesn't add up either... LOL

Should be noted that, for the most part, Gen X grew up without a major war. Like myself... Born in '71 (as Vietnam was winding down) and graduating HS in 89 ( when the Berlin wall came down and prior to Dessert Storm) meant my generation just didn't see war at all in my childhood.

JasmineSkunk said:

Then those Millennials had kids -- who are STILL kids: Generation Z, aka Zoomers. Those Zoomers aren't adults yet. How could we be in Generation Alpha already?

Maxwell Frost is the first Gen Z member of Congress. He's 27 years old.

edited February 3

Gordig said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Then those Millennials had kids -- who are STILL kids: Generation Z, aka Zoomers. Those Zoomers aren't adults yet. How could we be in Generation Alpha already?

Maxwell Frost is the first Gen Z member of Congress. He's 27 years old.

So... 27 means he was born in the late 90's. Wouldn't that still be millennial? I'm so confused! LOL... I ponder silly things sometimes. But, even my own math doesn't really add up, because I acknowledged already that people who are only a decade older than me, I consider to be Gen X... like me. But when I think about what was going on in the world... I kinda think of those who were born either during or right after the Vietnam war... which would make the "Boomer" Generation way too long. It still feels like we're missing a generation in there... LOL

none of it adds up, not going to hurt my head trying

I love my Glam rock, Stadium Rock, very early techno (but they did not call it that yet)

still love big hair s especially on guys but lucky if any my age have any at all

but my pretty boy renders do

This discussion has been closed.