Small to huge bridges and rivers

There are a lot of props/city scenes out there, but I rarely see any big highway bridge going over a big river to get into these props/city scenes. I'm not looking for specific real world bridges like say the San Francisco–Oakland bay bridge just to name one, but something inspired by them.

Even simple country roads connected to a bridge over a small river seem to be rare or non-existent.

I saw a product on that "other" site that has one that might work, but these things are quite rare. In fact, the rivers themselves are difficult to find too. There are many lakes and seascapes, but almost no rivers (And I don't mean little streams or little canals, actual large and deep rivers.).

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,378
    edited September 2023

I agree, I have occasionally wondered about modelling a big background bridge in low polys for something like a USXT scene. Never quite got around to it.

I have started modelling a large and detailed Chinese Bridge, loosely based on the Leshan bridge, but after getting COVID and then long COVID in the middle of it, I have rather let that project go.

Regards, Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • There is a freebie bridge I did complete on Rendo: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/92912/arch-bridge

Also look out for Howie Farkes' Stone bridge for UltraScenery.

Regards,

Richard.

• I have a little footbridge for crossing over streams, click here.

• I'd forgotten about that one, thanks for the reminder Catherine. I downloaded it ages ago but not used it.
  • ZWZW Posts: 36
    edited September 2023

@ richardandtracy...

That's an awesome bridge. I hope you get to complete it one day and thank you for the suggestion on that stone bridge.

@ Catherine...

That's a nice looking footbridge. I'm really looking for much bigger bridges though, but I'll still take a look at that footbridge, since it looks so nice! Thanks for the link.

Since they seem so rare I may model a large highway bridge myself in that case, I really thought there were at least a few out there. If I do make one and if it's not too amateurish and decent enough I might share it one day.

Post edited by ZW on
    edited September 2023

Structurally, that Gilman bridge looks a bit weak at the deck longitudinal supports for vehicles (OK for pedestrians). Would want to see them closer to the depth of the upper longitudinal member of the bridge so as to take the deck load between the transverse hanging supports under the deck. Apart from that.. looks good.

Regards

Richard

• This might fit the request.  

City Waterway | Daz 3D

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,701
    edited September 2023

This Inland Marina has a road and bridge over a small river channel. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited September 2023

Can I offer a quick model of a 60m segment of a viaduct on obj format that can be copied with a linear array script with spacing 6000cm. Intended as a background model for something like USXT.

I plan to add a few textures and make it a DS native model, and have a few morphs for deck height & leg plinth height.

The model is simply 60m of road deck, two legs with plinths, stringers under the deck & 3 concrete barriers. You just add repeating sections until the end is no-longer visible.

Regards

Richard

zip
    zip
    Bridge 3.zip
    Bridge 3.png
    1368 x 902 - 2M
    Bridge 3 R02.png
    1860 x 902 - 3M

I have it in my library! :) 

FirstBastion said:

This Inland Marina has a road and bridge over a small river channel. 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

pity you don't use Carrara devil

https://sharecg.com/v/91494/view/5/3D-Model/Gilman-Bridge

I don't, but yes, bridges like that are some of the types that I am looking for. 

richardandtracy said:

Can I offer a quick model of a 60m segment of a viaduct on obj format that can be copied with a linear array script with spacing 6000cm. Intended as a background model for something like USXT.

I plan to add a few textures and make it a DS native model, and have a few morphs for deck height & leg plinth height.

The model is simply 60m of road deck, two legs with plinths, stringers under the deck & 3 concrete barriers. You just add repeating sections until the end is no-longer visible.

Regards

Richard

Wow that's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing! :) What are the terms of use? 

edited September 2023

Don't claim it as your own work.. If you make mods to improve it, please share, otherwise commercial/non-commercial use fine.

When I texture it & release it as a native DAZ model, I'll use the same useage template as I do with all my other freebies on Renderosity. I suppose to get that far it took maybe 90 minutes from starting with a blank SolidWorks screen. Had to re-mesh some of the legs by hand in a modeller I wrote because I have to go from SolidWorks to Obj via STL, and the de-triangulation routine in my modeller doesn't always remove all the triangles I want to be rid of. I haven't tested the tex mapping to see if it's OK, may need to re-map it for the road bed in order to get two lanes in each carriageway.

ETA: Looking at the texture templates, the legs do need better mapping and the road bed would make more efficient use of the texture with different mapping. I'll try that this evening if I get a chance.

Regards,

Richard

edited September 2023

I am planning to make a couple more long-ish bridges eventually. 

there is this old steel bridge. 

• Looks like they needed to make it from Cor-ten, however there's a substantial corrosion allowance.

Regards,

Richard

edited September 2023

FirstBastion said:

I am planning to make a couple more long-ish bridges eventually. 

there is this old steel bridge. 

Yes, that's the kind I'm looking for the smaller bridges and oh I just noticed that's it's recent (I wishlisted it and I will see when I can purchase it, the recent deals made spend like crazy!). Just curious, do you have one with sidewalks for pedestrians or do you intend to make one with such feature in the future? 

Post edited by ZW on

richardandtracy said:

Don't claim it as your own work.. If you make mods to improve it, please share, otherwise commercial/non-commercial use fine.

When I texture it & release it as a native DAZ model, I'll use the same useage template as I do with all my other freebies on Renderosity. I suppose to get that far it took maybe 90 minutes from starting with a blank SolidWorks screen. Had to re-mesh some of the legs by hand in a modeller I wrote because I have to go from SolidWorks to Obj via STL, and the de-triangulation routine in my modeller doesn't always remove all the triangles I want to be rid of. I haven't tested the tex mapping to see if it's OK, may need to re-map it for the road bed in order to get two lanes in each carriageway.

ETA: Looking at the texture templates, the legs do need better mapping and the road bed would make more efficient use of the texture with different mapping. I'll try that this evening if I get a chance.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks! No worries and no hurries, I was just wondering if they existed at the DAZ store somewhere (Daz' search engine drives me crazy sometimes!). As for the bridges... while searching my endless library a few days ago, it just occured to me that I had next to none of them except for Bastion's Marina scene. The one FirstBastion recommended from Predatron could have somewhat done the trick and I also have FirstBastion's overpass bridge. I could easily put a river under them to be fair. Andie3D/MortemVetus did a broken one way back, just not the full one. Regardless a huge highway bridge over a large sized river is something I hope to see one day. 

In any case I'm really grateful for everyone trying to help. :)

• This one has a big river and a bridge across it: https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/110031/movie-sets-river-front

Probably needs some work to convert it to Daz/Iray though.

• Here are enough bridges to keep everybody busy for awhile :-)

https://www.artstation.com/world_war3/store  187 bridges in 3 volumes :-)

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,962
    edited September 2023

This is a small military bridge that Code66 released. https://www.daz3d.com/modular-bailey-bridge-construction-kit

Edit to add more:

https://www.daz3d.com/the-unused-railway-bridge

https://www.daz3d.com/forest-river-bridge

https://www.daz3d.com/divided-highway - this is has an overpass across a highway that might be used.

https://www.daz3d.com/crossroads-city-blocks - road kit

https://www.daz3d.com/cybercity-roadkit - another road kit

If you have this in your runtime, FirstBastion's High Cliff Crossing, SKU 15596, now withdrawn from the store, a stone bridge linking two mountains over a path below.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited September 2023

I like using the term retired instead of withdrawn.  It was pre - iray  and was looking its age. 

edited September 2023

FirstBastion, I'm sure if you were to update the shaders to iRay and do something with UltraScatter to the grasses, that'd be enough to make it look great against modern standards. Could be called a 'Redux' if using Rendo terminology for making old stuff modern again.

Regards,

Richard

• richardandtracy said:

FirstBastion, I'm sure if you were to update the shaders to iRay and do something with UltraScatter to the grasses, that'd be enough to make it look great against modern standards. Could be called a 'Redux' if using Rendo terminology for making old stuff modern again.

Regards,

Richard

I agree. This was on my wishlist before I stopped doing 3D for years. I regret that I didn't get it back then. 

edited September 2023

I had the exactly the same thing with a High Fantasy bridge from V3 days which I eventually found in a bundle and couldn't be happier. OK, the textures and tex mapping are not great these days, but I remembered it from 2006 to 2021.

Regards,

Richard

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Add my useless vote for an updated High Cliff Crossing.

• And Howie Farkes has a nice stone bridge option for Ultra scenery.

edited September 2023

And if you are looking for a list of all bridges,  this small cart/foot bridge is an option from the Mid Forest Vale set.

edited September 2023

Ostadan said:

Add my useless vote for an updated High Cliff Crossing.

It is valued.  I shall consider the possible options.