Small to huge bridges and rivers

2»

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,009

And I will use 'retired' if my old retired brain can remember it. :-)

Even though I have the older one, I sure would fork out for a 'reimagined' one from you. 

Actually, any PA who is faced with retiring a beloved item from their store, consider a reimagining it for the most recent generations or with the newest tech... How many items by Aeon Soul (or whatever name they were sold under, are moaned about because they have been retired by the PAs? Whole threads devoted to them.

And I bought the High Fantasy Bridge after seeing what @richardandtracy did with it.

Mary

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,449
    edited October 2023

Finally got to the point of finishing the viaduct. It's too big to be an attachment to a post here, so is at Rendo - https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/96205/background-road-viaduct-and-tunnel. Anyway, I had to do a tunnel portal for when the viaduct reaches a hill. The image below is the promo image, UK side of driving and typical UK driving (a white van tail-gating) and one lane coned off for no discernable reason.

Regards,

Richard.

Viaduct Promo.png
    1200 x 800 - 2M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited October 2023

I have had a bit of time to look at a big bridge. Currently modelled, but has no textures or mapping yet.

There will be 2 segments, a cable stayed deck that's 60m off the ground with a single pillar. The road deck is 400m long with 250m on one side of the pillar and 150m on the other. By using two models back to back (as below) gives 490m between pillars. There will be (not yet started) a ramp 210m long from a 15m wide deck to 60m up, which can be used at either end. The total height of the pillar is 170m above the y=0 waterline and 30m below the waterline.

Regards,

Richard

Bridge 4 R01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited October 2023

I have made a ramp, which looks too steep to me, I think I'll be lengthening it by a factor of 2 or so. It matches up with the Cable Stay bridge at one end, and the standard height of my previous viaduct at the other end (the textured bit of bridge in the bottom right corner of the image). I have shown the Licone ship by Faveral below it, and a Merc Sprinter Long Wheelbase model in the centre section (the grey dot in the far carriageway).

Regards,

Richard

Bridge 4 R03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited October 2023

I went back to my SolidWorks model of the ramp and found a maximum dimension of 210,000 mm is pushing the limit for the precision numbers used internally, so rather than re-dimension the road deck I stretched it in my own modeller to 420m long (as I programmed my modeller to use double precision numbers), which reduced the slope a lot and actually made the piers rather more appropriate in size. So, I think that's what I'm going to stick with.

For scale, and evidence of the 60m air draft, I dropped in a model of HMS Victory too. The Licorne & Merc Sprinter are there as before, but the Licorne has Victory on its tail.. Don't think things are going to end well for the poor Licorne. A Sixth Rate frigate against a First Rate ship of the line.. oh dear.

Regards,

Richard

Bridge 4 R04.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited November 2023

Mostly finished the mile long bridge (1640m = 1 mile, 33 yards), will be packaging it up this weekend.

Regards,

Richard

Mile Long Bridge Promo.png
    1200 x 800 - 1M
    Mile Long Bridge Thumb.png
    300 x 350 - 135K
  • EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,093
    edited November 2023

While we're on the topic of bridges, I am wondering if there is a one-lane vehicle bridge available on any site?  I was going through Google Maps the other day and found a small town in Newfoundland and Labrador in which there are not one, but two one-lane bridges - so close to each other.

Below is a link to what I am talking about, in Google Street View. I wonder if there is a one-lane bridge similar to the one in the link below, or close to it?  And I am fine without the pedestrian area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.4691361,-58.1253876,3a,44.8y,165.55h,79.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2ru9kx_dY10uO0iPggBdhg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
    edited November 2023

Looks like a pretty standard WW2 pattern Bailey Bridge to me. There are likely to be a number of models of them around...

After a quick check, there are. BUT usable ones are a bit !!!!! pricewise and the freebie ones are aimed at 3d printing with a fair bit of post-printing assembly, so aren't great for our purposes.

Regards,

Richard.

• Also, take a look at this thread, https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8436126/#Comment_8436126 There may be a way of kitbashing something useful.

Regards,

Richard

• Now, I got another bridge request.  I found another one-lane bridge, but it has a longer length. Here is a link to an example the Google Street View:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8277986,-59.3287672,3a,75y,314.67h,79.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssqoNgrB1GmVywXJ-yoSPqQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

Is there any such bridge available on any website?

• If there is, I don't know of it. The Bailey Bridge was modular, and if you needed more span, you added side trusses up to four, then went to the next beam depth up. The longer span bridge in the second link looks a bit more like a conventional truss than the basic Bailey Bridge. It could well be post 1970 when the original patent expired and other companies entered the modular bridge market. I'm pretty committed for modelling this year, so not sure I could model one this year, sorry, but I do like the idea. Regards, Richard
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,740
    edited November 2023

EightiesIsEnough said:

While we're on the topic of bridges, I am wondering if there is a one-lane vehicle bridge available on any site?  I was going through Google Maps the other day and found a small town in Newfoundland and Labrador in which there are not one, but two one-lane bridges - so close to each other.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.4691361,-58.1253876,3a,44.8y,165.55h,79.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2ru9kx_dY10uO0iPggBdhg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

This product by code66 could probably help you make something similar  Modular Bailey Bridge Construction Kit | Daz 3D

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • That's the whole caboodle done already. Definitely applicable. Regards, Richard.
  • EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,093
    edited November 2023

Thanks to FirstBastion's post, I saved a lot of money.  I was considering purchasing a Bailey bridge from TurboSquid, but I agree the one in the Shop suits my desire.  At less than $20 in the Shop as opposed to almost $70 on TurboSquid. Pretty darn good.

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • Cable Stayed Bridge now mentioned in my Bridge freebie thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8442556/#Comment_8442556

Regards,

Richard.

• There is this bridge now: https://www.daz3d.com/fn-bridge

Regards,

Richard

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

Seeing Richardandtracy's long bridges hath reminded me of McGyver's bridges like this one: https://sharecg.com/v/37036/

• I always read it as Drunkard and didn't even think twice about the name because it was McGyver's laughlaugh