Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

shades of the 60's, I love that effect David. I so want to play with Bryce 7

I am getting much closer to making that definitive step and ordering the new PC. As long as I can find sufficient cables in my stash of parts to connect it up with a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse etc, I should be able to leave this one running for day to day stuff until I get the new one installed with essential software.

As long as I can protect it from marauding cats who have almost been taught that my desk is out of bounds, but may not feel the same way if I set up another system on the table.

Last time I did this I had another room I could leave the door shut on, and an older, better behaved cat, not twin teenage cats and open plan living area.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    shades of the 60's, I love that effect David. I so want to play with Bryce 7

I am getting much closer to making that definitive step and ordering the new PC. As long as I can find sufficient cables in my stash of parts to connect it up with a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse etc, I should be able to leave this one running for day to day stuff until I get the new one installed with essential software.

As long as I can protect it from marauding cats who have almost been taught that my desk is out of bounds, but may not feel the same way if I set up another system on the table.

Last time I did this I had another room I could leave the door shut on, and an older, better behaved cat, not twin teenage cats and open plan living area.

Just think of that huge back catalogue of scenes you've got to play with and update...

If you are short of any cables, post me - I've got a bad habit of not throwing anything away if there is even the remotest possibility of it coming in useful later. So I might be able to send you some spares to get you going.

edited December 1969

Thanks David. I do have a reasonable collection, so should be fine, but I will check sometime soon. It will take a while as even once I have ordered they do have to build it.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cheers, David...scooby snacks it is ;)

The bug's front window looks a bit odd though - memory (Herbie...etc.,) recalls that they had a more rounder shape to it as opposed to the square-ish shape in this model. Would also liked to have put a turn, or twist, on the front wheels to create additional scene-dynamics, however, as all four wheels were one set, doing so would have had them all turned. Weird!

Jay

edited December 1969

Only VW I could find on my HD was the old camper van,

hippy_campervan.png
    1024 x 768 - 688K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Ah, no David. No one has ever called me indefatigable. Maybe I'm just to picky, but I'd like the blades of grass to be more individually defined. I think I'm not heading in an diminished return direction, so I'll have to decide which path to try next. The little alien and the spark plugs is very nice.

chohole, love the van. I keep expecting to hear Jimmy Hendricks or something along with it.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well it's been a few days since I posted anything so here's another one of the BCF's centered around the poser prop "Steam Mech". Most of these BCF's have multipe views, this one in particular had quite a few so I'm including two of the views I liked best. Also many of these BCF's have features you can turn on or off depending on the scene you want to make. For this one, if you decide to turn day into night to make a night scene there is a volumetric light projecting from the Mech's chest. In one shot where the light is pointing more or less toward the camera, the volumetric light is hard to recognize as beam like one expects with volumetric light usually but in the other view it shows up clearly.

Now this was made intially back when Bryce went from 5.0 to 5.5 and back then there weren't as many options for realistic looking terrain textures or realitic looking plants. So while I like the idea of the scene I'm rather disappointed by how unrealistic it looks. I know there are a few different lighting approaches one can try to improve a scene and there are a few newer textures that come with Bryce (thanks to David) that are more realistic looking but I'm not sure what if anything I can do about the tree situation. So I put this question out there, what would you all do to try to make these scenes look better?

Steam_Mech_2_Night.jpg
    800 x 446 - 192K
    Steam_Mech_2.jpg
    800 x 446 - 232K
    Steam_Mech_Night.jpg
    800 x 446 - 179K
    Steam_Mech.jpg
    800 x 446 - 220K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Today, I was looking to see if using the inside of one of the rounded cubes would give a good seamless backdrop and good controlled 'studio' environment to light objects.

As it turns out, it works pretty good.

Then I just needed an object to light up, so as we seem to be on a bit of a VW Beetle theme and I had a model of one in my library, here we go.

But then, as always, I got carried away with the model and forgot about what I'd originally set out to experiment with. :roll:
    So the top pic is the model as supplied and the bottom pic is after I'd altered nearly every visible surface and then tweaked the materials I'd applied... Remembering what I'd originally set out to do, I then went to try and add an HDRI reflection on the body of the car and Bryce crashed, which I'm taking as my computers warning to me to not sit up all night again!. :-)

VWBeetleALT.jpg
    600 x 600 - 108K
    VWBeetle.jpg
    600 x 600 - 101K
    edited December 1969

Mark, those look good. Love the machine.

Dave, that second bug looks much better.. Though the white(?) around the front of the drivers door, is that reflection? Maybe a touch to reflective? To me, it becomes the focal point of the bug because of the brightness.

edited December 1969

Yes sadly it's all a part of the same mesh as the bumpers (fenders) and other metallic parts so it's coloured in the same reflective chrome as the rest. I didn't get a chance to try the different lighting and reflections I was planning because it crashed and guess who hadn't saved that version? :red:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven - Trees: make the leaves small and increase the amount. As for the material, leaves are translucent. Rashad has a free material for those. http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2040 and http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2041. Giving the leaves a translucent material makes a huge difference in how they look and how slow it renders. Here is an example http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3934. And then, there is that old fashioned tutorial http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/online/tut20/minitut20_en.html How to model good looking trees and eco-systems.

• artofsoulsartofsouls Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Tell me what you think

treasure_island1920x1080.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @LordHardDriven - Trees: make the leaves small and increase the amount. As for the material, leaves are translucent. Rashad has a free material for those. http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2040 and http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=2041. Giving the leaves a translucent material makes a huge difference in how they look and how slow it renders. Here is an example http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=3934. And then, there is that old fashioned tutorial http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/online/tut20/minitut20_en.html How to model good looking trees and eco-systems.

Thanks Horo I'll see what I can do with the leaves although to be honest I'm not even sure where the tree editor is let alone how to use it or use it well.

edited December 1969

[Thanks Horo I'll see what I can do with the leaves although to be honest I'm not even sure where the tree editor is let alone how to use it or use it well.

If you select the tree and hit the little 'E' button in it's mini menu, it should take you directly to the tree lab.

edited December 1969

Tell me what you think

Nice composition, good choice of materials. Needs something other than the default Bryce sky.

edited December 1969

Tell me what you think

Me personally, I like everything about it except the texture on the land masses. I mean here you have this wonderfully detailed ship, floating in very realistic looking water next to some fairly detailed land mass and yet the texture for the landmass looks about as detailed as a typical crayon drawing.

This isn't a criticism of you, you were likely just working with what you have available to you and unfortunately alot of the stuff available for new users is from a good while ago when not everyone owned a computer let alone a powerful one and so lower resolution textures and models were more commonplace.

edited December 1969

Tell me what you think

Mostly I think things like; "Why is the Mr Universe contest always won by someone from planet Earth?" :lol:

Oh, you mean what I think about your picture...

It's good.
    Some small points;
    Use the material editor on your terrain objects to make the texture much smaller. It's very apparent in the foreground that the texture is too big.
    Play with the sky a bit, try to get away from the default Bryce sky, which while it is handy and quite good, is infinitely editable to create many atmospheric effects.

Overall, the composition is good and your single picture does tell a story so it's doing a lot right.

BTW: That's a very nice ship model, as a collector of ships and maker of many sail ship scenes, could you tell me where it came from?
    Thanks. :-)

edited December 1969
    Free_content_R4_1_streaming_rays.jpg
    800 x 500 - 234K
    edited December 1969

Nice one. I always fake them with cones, or even sometimes resort to postwork :red:

moonlight_fairy_keep_cool_2_PW.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 432K
    edited December 1969

Who said I didn't fake it with a cone?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited August 2012

@artofsouls - I agree with my previous peers. The material on the land is good but a bit in the coarse side. The Bryce default sky is seldom a good choice.

Nice renders all around.

@chohole - I would usually "complain" about the huge stars but since this is a fairy-like scene, they really fit in.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited August 2012

Horo said:
    @artofsouls - I agree with my previous peers. The material on the land is good but a bit in the coarse side. The Bryce default sky is seldom a good choice.

Nice renders all around.

@chohole - I would usually "complain" about the huge stars but since this is a fairy-like scene, they really fit in.

Yes normally I like to feed in a star backdrop, don't like Bryce stars overmuch., thos ones of course I postworked.
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Cool, I've played with several ways to force God Rays in the past.
    This one just uses cubes filled with a slightly edited version of the "Lit Rays" material, but I've used it on cones too in the past.

Fake-God-Rays.jpg
    674 x 450 - 161K
  • artofsoulsartofsouls Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Tell me what you think

Mostly I think things like; "Why is the Mr Universe contest always won by someone from planet Earth?" :lol:

Oh, you mean what I think about your picture...

It's good.
    Some small points;
    Use the material editor on your terrain objects to make the texture much smaller. It's very apparent in the foreground that the texture is too big.
    Play with the sky a bit, try to get away from the default Bryce sky, which while it is handy and quite good, is infinitely editable to create many atmospheric effects.

Overall, the composition is good and your single picture does tell a story so it's doing a lot right.

BTW: That's a very nice ship model, as a collector of ships and maker of many sail ship scenes, could you tell me where it came from?
    Thanks. :-)i think they came from either this one http://thefree3dmodels.com/ or http://www.sharecg.com/index.php thanks again for the help you are giving me:-)

edited December 1969

Nice rays Dave! They work well.

OK tinkering again with Vicky and the TA optimised radial light gel trickery I introduced in the last few tutorials.

Firey_Rainbowy_Vicky1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 105K
    edited December 1969

Thought this may be worth posting here as well as in the thread I made it for. :-)

Anyone in England this Bank Holiday weekend will understand where the inspiration came from.

Singin-in-the-rain.jpg
    450 x 600 - 158K
    edited December 1969

Others have said what I feel about your render, Artofsouls. It's appealing to the eye, just tweak it per the suggestions.

David, that's a very nice looking image. Very pleasing to the eye.

Dave felt everyone was getting tired of his snow globes, so I'm guessing my grass is getting ready to be mowed. This will be the last one until I get it into a scene or come up with something really "real" grass looking.

I found, and read, Rashad's thread about using the Instancing Lab, applying what I learned to my very first grass image. The result was an image where the grass blades are more pronounced, though still not quite enough; IMHO. But as I said, until/unless I put this incarnation into a scene, or come up with something to really crow about, no more grass from me. So go ahead and put the grass shears away.

Lots_of_Grass_2_1_1.jpg
    757 x 442 - 40K
    edited December 1969

Thought this may be worth posting here as well as in the thread I made it for. :-)

Anyone in England this Bank Holiday weekend will understand where the inspiration came from.

Brycin' In The Rain? Oh man that's bad. Good job on trying to duplicate the movie poster you're spoofing though. ;-)

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Others have said what I feel about your render, Artofsouls. It's appealing to the eye, just tweak it per the suggestions.

David, that's a very nice looking image. Very pleasing to the eye.

Dave felt everyone was getting tired of his snow globes, so I'm guessing my grass is getting ready to be mowed. This will be the last one until I get it into a scene or come up with something really "real" grass looking.

I found, and read, Rashad's thread about using the Instancing Lab, applying what I learned to my very first grass image. The result was an image where the grass blades are more pronounced, though still not quite enough; IMHO. But as I said, until/unless I put this incarnation into a scene, or come up with something to really crow about, no more grass from me. So go ahead and put the grass shears away.

Hey there's a patch in my yard that would be perfect for if you're looking to get rid of it? :)

edited December 1969

Hahahaha...well, Mark, if you'd like to use my latest patch of grass in your yard then it must be looking pretty good. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.