Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2012

It is looking good GussNemo, all you need now is some kind of context to show it off.

Edit: nice work Dave on the rain poster, looks good (and it's a tricky effect to achieve). Yes, it's been a bit "damp" here on the East coast - but isn't it ever?

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Hahahaha...well, Mark, if you'd like to use my latest patch of grass in your yard then it must be looking pretty good. Thanks.

Well to be honest anything would be better then the crab grass and weeds fighting to control that turf but yeah, your grass does look pretty good. :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Edit: nice work Dave on the rain poster, looks good (and it's a tricky effect to achieve). Yes, it's been a bit "damp" here on the East coast - but isn't it ever?

I've found that the easiest way to use it is to exclude any lights from it and just let the light from the sky do its thing.
    Oh and in this one I think I may have darkened it a bit in the DTE by adding a touch of grey/blue.

So I've got the hang of sunlight, rain, fog and snow...

... Where is the Wind Lab? :shut:

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

That's the next item of business, David. But I'm unsure how to incorporate my current grass into a scene without losing the grass or the other elements of the scene. I've tried this before only to have either grass or the other elements. But not both.

Also, as question. I have another grass terrain that would mesh well with my latest grass terrain but again, I don't know how to mesh the two without merging them. I'd like to keep them separate so either could be manipulated if needed. Is there a way this can be done? And can my latest grass terrain be saved in the Material Library for later use?

I know what you mean, Mark. Our lawn has several places where weeds do better than grass. My latest would be perfect in those places.

edited August 2012

GussNemo, save your terrain (with the grass texture) driect to the object library - that's what I'd do. Since the appearance is dependant on both the terrain and the material.

Edit. New tut - Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - TA optimised radial lights advanced - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

The theory behind this render.

Edit edit. The background image (and HDRI - somewhat hidden by DOF) is a new one of Horo's which will be available in The Treppenhalle Set - some 50 special Bryce "metals" we have created. - I've added a small spherical map of the HDRI made with the Spherical Mapper

SM_treppenhalle2.jpg
    600 x 300 - 89K
    Gel_TA_light_test3.jpg
    700 x 700 - 153K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, David. I'd never done that before so it took a while to figure how to do it.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited December 1969

David - wonderful! More HDRIs and materials! I use the Pro Material mats all the time. Like the image a lot too.
    GussNemo - great grass. I've got to give that a try...

edited December 1969

Thanks, Dan. Now to put it into a scene to really see how it looks.

edited December 1969

David - wonderful! More HDRIs and materials! I use the Pro Material mats all the time. Like the image a lot too.
    GussNemo - great grass. I've got to give that a try...

Thank you Dan. The idea behind this new set is to incorporate image based textures (photographed by Horo) from an environment (photographed by Horo and turned into a HDRI) then I turn the images into materials (some combined with procedural effects) and then apply them to things and light them in the environmental lighting that was captured from where the textures were originally sourced. A sort of holistic approach. What we wish to do is encourage the use of - and demonstrate the benefits of - using Image Based Lighting. We've already tried by using scene examples, we thought we'd try with materials instead and see if people found that any more palatable.

In the mean time, encouraged by gentle prompting from Rashad, I'm making some headway into finding a means to use the boost light feature for TA optimised light sources. Initial tests are promising, getting what I hope I've demonstrated is a good level of control over contrast and saturation within the render. I think there is a good chance that controlled use of TA optimised lighting will let us take the quality of light up another notch. My aim, the program that I really admire for its light, is Terragen 2. If I can get Terragen 2 quality of light out of Bryce, I will be pleased.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Had a go at David's Desert landscape video, but without the volumetric clouds.

Advise on how to improve it please.

Desert_Scene2.jpg
    800 x 457 - 120K
    edited December 1969

wilmap, I would take one of the mountains and rotate/resize/reform it so both don't look alike. Real mountains seldom look alike.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I have rotated and resized the mountains!:-)

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Had a go at David's Desert landscape video, but without the volumetric clouds.

Advise on how to improve it please.

I would experiment with different skies, start by trying some straight out of the sky library and see what happens. Then when you find something you like the look of, make small changes and see if you can fine tune it to suit your tastes.

edited August 2012

I have to agree with David. I say that because I just did that tutorial yesterday myself except I did use the volume cloud David suggested (since I had previously bought the product it came from). I noticed that before the sky the texture on the dunes looked more like yours does but when you use the clouds and light from the scene David used in the tutorial it had a dramatic influence on the terrain texture. So a new sky might not only improve the look of the sky but the look of the terrains as well.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,329
    edited December 1969

Big thanks to David for this easy to follow tutorial, a real boon for newbies like me :)
    http://youtu.be/zzB92v1ONJA

Purple_Dragon_wm.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 184K
  • AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited August 2012

The asteroid belt I created first making about 100 spheres in a circle,
    grouped them and copied it 10 times and twisted each group a small part round y-axis
    then selected all spheres and used convert selection to stones ( fortunately Bryce randomizes all spheres into different stones)
    Then I used randomize amount 3d and disappear at stones to give the asteroid belt some dimension...

Added 2 flatted torus objects 1 with cloud volume material ( setting transformation tools to 900% or so ) to get debris effect...
    and 1 added just a cloud surface volume to get the ring effect...

1 big square with cosmic volume to get nebular effect...
    3 spheres with volume material super nova shock wave to get sun effect...
    2 spheres to create moons and 2 spheres to create planet and planets atmosphere...
    Derelict space craft made with wings 3d...

This is a pure bryce render as all my scene's are, only post work adding my name...

arrival.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 95K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
    edited August 2012

Nostromo astronauts by Sean Kennedy ( who shared these with me )
    New derelict ship created with wings3d
    Ground material David Brinnen

spaceport.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 90K
    edited August 2012

Nostromo astronauts by Sean kennedy

Creature made with makehuman and altered in wings3d

Alien walls and floor made with wings3d

drrllcct.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 70K
    edited December 1969

Beautiful renders Erich, I am particularly impressed with the lighting you have achieved in the asteroid belt. That is wonderful.

edited August 2012

The lighting in the asteroid belt is sun only with a blueish color and in front of sun i added three spheres in different sizes with super nova shock wave material setting color to greenish

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

That asteroid belt reminds me of one of Ludek Pesek's paintings (http://www.ludekpesek.ch/noel_cramer_rings.php). It is an awesome render!

edited December 1969

@ Horo... awesome paintings... these inviting me to a new challenge ..

edited December 1969

Another render using this trick Bryce 5 minute scene - TA hue saturation shift trick - a tutorial by David Brinnen

White background used instead of black.

Xyzrgb_dragon5.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 340K
    edited August 2012

@ David ... That looks like a photo... Fantastic render....

One inspired by those space paints , Horo mentioned in above post..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7 Terrains inside a flatten sphere with volume clouds to get fog effect...
    1 big 2d face vertical with Cosmic - surface / Big Blue Starburst to get sun effect
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mnn001.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 82K
    edited August 2012

Fantastic job on all your renders @tlantis

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Good going there Erich! I particularly like the variegated haze effect in the valley and the specular light over the dark terrain. Good work.

• edited August 2012

Hello, this is Peter.

I am going to try and post a large image. Before the size was limited to 800 by 800 PIX.

Let us see if it works.

Well this is my first submission on this one, although i have posted many images in the main threads.

This is Bryce-ONLY modelling and render. No Photoshop which is taboo for me and no 3D app to make the models! It is the way i like to do it, but i certainly do not expect others to do the same. This scene employs some of the techniques of my tutorials which are accumulating at an alarming rate.

Well i needed a break from the tutorials and do something creative! This scene still has a long way to go because i need to add hundreds of fine details. This will take much time. But i think it is not too bad to show now. Render time is very slow - about a day. The central forms use instancing so they are no problem but the cactus-like objects in the water are a nightmare [all composed of MBs]. I will need to add many more of them as well as much else.

Kind regards from Australia to you all.

Stone_MR_Spline_22.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 678K
    Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
    edited December 1969

Hi Peter....

Awesome render... excellent freaky shapes and cool plants... also very nice sky....

• edited August 2012

@tlantis said:
    Hi Peter....

Awesome render... excellent freaky shapes and cool plants... also very nice sky....

Thanks Erich,

I am just a beginner and i am learning - have been learning for 17 years! I like your renders very much. I love outer space scenes and know that lighting them is very difficult because there is often no light in the real universe when the camera is far away form a star and the terminator is severe - sharply delineated into blackness.

Yes it is good how Bryce will create random copies of different stones if instancing is not turned on. I have still to explore that in detail because i wish to determine if we can control the resolution of stones.

Well the sky is important here in my scene. I avoided the temptation to add a David Brinnen style volumetric sky [as beautiful as such would be]. It would have been too busy for this scene. I wanted the drama of Mordor! Dark and terrible. So i created a cumulus layer sky in the DTE which is quite plain [but with lots of phase which is blurred by the DOF]. I needed it to cast shadows with soft edges. To achieve that was very difficult because the shadows must fall in the right places. Unlike the Volumetric Cloud Slabs the default sky is very difficult to place [there is no way to move it except to use animated sky frames and then baking the scene at the frame which is just right].

Kind regards from Australia.

Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

@Erich - this is a great render of a ringed planet and foreground terrain with fog.

@Peter - excellent render. You're right about the sky, it fits perfectly into the scene. I'm also a bit of a Bryce purist though I do use other applications for objects at times. But post production is a no-no. If I can get a better picture using Photoshop, I know I didn't do my job right.

This discussion has been closed.