Gallery Ads/Popups

1101112131416»

Comments

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 559

Torquinox said:

Muon Quark said:

We must agree to disagree.  I will say that there were plenty of different people who weren't bothered by the ads.  Hm?

Am I missing something? Near as I can tell, the only people not bothered are those who couldn't see them. And though I never saw one, I'm appalled that they ever existed here. I'm glad they're gone. I hope they stay gone.

I should have been more clear, sorry.  No one liked how the ads were presented here but there are websites where there are a few ads and it's been done correctly.  There are folks who don't mind that as long as the ads aren't interfering with using the website and are safe.  I'm one of them because I can ignore the ads and still be able to use the website.  That's what I meant to say.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,075

ArtAngel said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Muon Quark said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Muon Quark said:

scorpio said:

ArtAngel said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The ads should be gone now, we are told.

Daz is always testing various things.  This was one of them.  They will test more things in the future.  They may even revisit ads again at some point.  For now they  have determined what they needed and have ended the test

When I signed up here, I had no idea I would be a test dummy for DAZ experiments. Once my store credit is used I will be done with DAZ but not done with acquiring 3D assets. Each year I spent enough here to pay for an executives salary. This year , so far, I doubt I have spent enough to pay for a month's rent. Yet, I have more cash now the I had over the past 5 years combined. DAZ has mastered the art of kicking customers away. Somewhere along the way, DAZ forgot who pays the bills. They forgot we were paying customers, not test rats.

This - This-This - for gods sake what a stupid way to run a business. I feel for the PAs especially those who have just joined - what must they think. 

Agreed one thousand percent.  The test was not implemented correctly nor was it ran correctly.  Whoever it was did not know what they were doing.

Do you then know the paramters of the test, to assess it's design?

All companies with a presence online test things from time to time, to see whether they are beneficial or not. Sometimes they are A/B tests, where one group sees one thing and another another (as Daz did with site UI changes last year), sometimes they will run something for all for a while and assess the effect  (as seems to have been the case for ads)

Seriously?  No one needs to know the parameters of the this particular test to assess it's design. It was flawed.  That is abundantly clear from all the input that has been received in this thread.  It would have been better to backup the website and use the backup site for testing instead of the live site.  Could have even called on a few PAs and customers to help with the testing.  Would have been way less stressful for everyone all around.  That's how companies with a live presence online test changes for their live site. 

I think we are at cross-purposes here - how could the effectiveness and imapct of ads have been assessed on a test site? Of course people don't like ads - that pretty much goes without saying - so asking for opinions wouldn't have been an option; regardless of the exact aim and paarmeters of the test, it would pretty much have to be done live (though perhaps A/B, with  different groups getting different patterns, but i don't know if the forum and/or gallery code would support that).

Not all forums are equal. When a forums purpose is product support (which is how I view the DAZ forum) versus a forum for chat about the next solar eclipse, a thing you cannot buy, I see one as product support to enhance sales and the latter as a gossip/social chat. If DAZ values customers, maybe they should implement a beta forum for test purposes. I doubt they would get the negative feedback from willing participants. Like the beta releases. An optional opt-in would be a smart and considerate thing to do. Just a thought ...

Edit: In coding, when I had a forum for my RaceActionPhotography business, I had 4 different levels for moderators, members,administrators and guests. l know DAZ has different levels, for you moderators, me as a Platinum Club  Or DAZ+ Member vs Regular Members. Just add one for test rats and have them view a different page layout meaning a different CSS code for them.

Again, if the idea was to assess the usefulness of ads, or of other features in the past and future, how would having a set of self-appointed lab rats help? The whole point would be to understand how regular users interacted. This isn't a mad-scientist running unrelated mind-control experiments (says my programmer) but something linked diectly to the way the site works.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,119

Muon Quark said:

I should have been more clear, sorry.  No one liked how the ads were presented here but there are websites where there are a few ads and it's been done correctly.  There are folks who don't mind that as long as the ads aren't interfering with using the website and are safe.  I'm one of them because I can ignore the ads and still be able to use the website.  That's what I meant to say.

Thank you! That makes sense. enlightened

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 559

Torquinox said:

Muon Quark said:

Thank you! That makes sense. enlightened

Thanks!  Again, apologies for not being more clear.  yes

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,749

Torquinox said:

Muon Quark said:

We must agree to disagree.  I will say that there were plenty of different people who weren't bothered by the ads.  Hm?

Am I missing something? Near as I can tell, the only people not bothered are those who couldn't see them. And though I never saw one, I'm appalled that they ever existed here. I'm glad they're gone. I hope they stay gone.

As someone who hasn't spoken up on this topic yet it is indeed because I learned long ago that browsing the web without an ad-blocker was a pretty horrendous experience so always have one enabled.

It seems the time has passed now but incase it's still relevant I absolutely echo the above sentiment and also hope that they are gone permenantly.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,862

Richard Haseltine said:

Again, if the idea was to assess the usefulness of ads, or of other features in the past and future, how would having a set of self-appointed lab rats help? The whole point would be to understand how regular users interacted. This isn't a mad-scientist running unrelated mind-control experiments (says my programmer) but something linked diectly to the way the site works.

Doing usability testing with specifically recruited users of a given site is literally how most UX designers work. They could have offered, say, $10 in store credits to a number of volunteers who met a given criteria, or even just asked. It would certainly have let them see the issues with specific ads before inflicting them on users and getting customer service buried in tickets about the issues.

That aside, a site using its userbase for testing without either informing them or getting their consent to be test subjects is DEEPLY problematic.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,363

That aside, a site using its userbase for testing without either informing them or getting their consent to be test subjects is DEEPLY problematic.

I wonder how much it actually cost them in lost sales and customers. I know i have spent very littly here recently I did make a purchase but have returned the item as I really don't like being used to test stuff so when informed that the adds were a test I returned the product for a refund - not in store credit. 

• NathraiNathrai Posts: 67
    edited May 17

Not adding my 5 cent from a customer's point of view - I'ld say everything has already been said in this thread, and mostly in a far less aggressive tone than what's going through my own mind ... cheeky

But here's one from the point of view of someone with a background in online business:

There was absolutely NO need for testing this, since thousands of companies have tested showing ads to paying customers before, and I don't know a single one that didn't backpaddle on their decision. It's an unspoken rule of internet business that ads are for freeloaders only. It's a simple business transaction - "pay" for a free service by watching adds, a fine win/win situation.

But when it comes to paying customers (and support forums for paid products mainly have paying customers as their target audience), you don't pester them with ads, unless it's internal ads for your own products.

It's not even a matter of courtesy, but it has been proven over and over and over again in the past 25 years that this loses you more money by disgruntling customers than it adds in ad revenue. And it's even worse when you don't even bother to use reputable ad source and thus introduce your formerly paying customers to scam sites, malware and other nonsense.

"Of course people don't like ads - that pretty much goes without saying" <-- And that's exactly where this idea should have stopped before it actually lost you business.

[Edit, because I'm scatter brained] The thing with unvolunatary tests like these is: once you destroyed your own reputation like this, it's hard to undo the damage. Customers who left because of this won't simply return just because you took back those changes. Even if they hear about the backpaddeling, they now know that you think it's okay to abuse them as test subjects, so why bother coming back?

Post edited by Nathrai on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,003

well I just browsed the Unreal Marketplace 70% off sale and bought some nice grooms for my bald heads including an awesome wizard/drawf beard (nicer than anything I could style using particle hair in Blender)

and you know what surprise

NOT AN AD IN SIGHT

just products for sale and no ads on their forums either

as one would expect from a business 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well I just browsed the Unreal Marketplace 70% off sale and bought some nice grooms for my bald heads including an awesome wizard/drawf beard (nicer than anything I could style using particle hair in Blender)

NOT AN AD IN SIGHT

As was the case here.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,618

Richard Haseltine said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

NOT AN AD IN SIGHT

As was the case here.

Well maybe no ads but I sure am getting a lot of cookie agreement popups which are rapidily getting to be almost as annoying. 

Richard Haseltine said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

NOT AN AD IN SIGHT

As was the case here.

As 'was' - past tense - are the ads going to return? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,831

scorpio said:

He wouldn't say even if he knew. The past tense was to say that, while the ads were running, they were not on sales pages.

Gordig said:

scorpio said:

He wouldn't say even if he knew. The past tense was to say that, while the ads were running, they were not on sales pages.

Then the part about the forums should not have been added by doing so the sentence becomes incorrect and implies there may possibly a return of the adds. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,003

you can see I didn't edit my post, I definitely said there are no Ads on their forums either

as far as I am concerned it's the same site as if I sign in for one I am signed in for the other as is the case here.

DAZ shop did keep putting up the cookie dialogue making shopping difficult too and unlike Unreal Marketplace there are no product reviews etc

for that you need to visit this forum albeit using DAZ-Deals extension

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,449
    Well, the beneficial outcome of this experiment is that I've started using Adblocker for all sites.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,897
    edited May 18

scorpio said:

Richard Haseltine said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

NOT AN AD IN SIGHT

As was the case here.

What we were told and what was passed on to you guys not 5 min later was already mentioned here

Richard Haseltine said:

The ads should be gone now, we are told.

Daz is always testing various things.  This was one of them.  They will test more things in the future.  They may even revisit ads again at some point.  For now they  have determined what they needed and have ended the test

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,119

richardandtracy said:

Well, the beneficial outcome of this experiment is that I've started using Adblocker for all sites.

That's a good idea anyway. Also good to clear your caches regularly. The web is made of trackers, apparently.

scorpio said:

Richard Haseltine said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

NOT AN AD IN SIGHT

As was the case here.

I am not sure what you are trying to say, the whjole point of inserting my reply there was to be clear that it was about the store not the forums and gallery (which obviously did have ads for a while, hence this thead). I could have split the sentence a little later, in fact, as long as the reply came before the reference to forums. And yes, "was" was indicating that this was referring back to when ads were active and carried no implication about the future.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,508
    I fixed my desktop some time ago by purging all Daz3D cookies, but I am now having the permissions popup repeatedly on my phone.