NEO Crew Space Team α (WIP Thread)

KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
edited March 2016 in Art Studio

Thought I would finally start a thread in art studio to post the progress on a motion comic project I'm working on.

Post edited by KA1 on

Comments

• Looks promising, KA1!!  I like your promo pic.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Love the characters, it looks like something I'd pay to read.

-- Walt Sterdan

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,797
    edited December 2015

Nice, you started your thread as well! I like the characters not having superbodies and that you can see some of their personality. I will stick around to see what else you post here

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

A great render/promo! It honestly doesn't look like it will be my kind of story though. But first impressions can be decieving and knowing some of the renders you've done you can definitely colour me curious.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

Thank you all, I'm currently working on the assets to do a trailer, I've already got permission to use the music I wanted which I am more than a little excited about! I should have a couple of the character intro pics up soon.

edited December 2015

Currently working on the individual character intro's now, heres what I have so far for Chiyo.

(The PNG looks better but file size is too large - still should give an idea!)

ChiyoPromo.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by KA1 on
  • Nice render, KA1.  Like Isidorn, not usually my thing, but I like what you have so far.

Nice render, KA1.  Like Isidorn, not usually my thing, but I like what you have so far.

Thank you @Knittingmommy - I've always quite like the manga/anime style so thought I'd give a motion comic a go (particularly as I bought some software a LONG time ago to try this sort of thing but never got anywhere, since finding Daz in March this year I'm confident I may be able to do it now!!)

edited December 2015

Originally I was keeping this character quiet but this is my WIP thread so here is "NEO" - technically, NEO is the ships on board AI computer, however he does have ways of presenting himself to the crew (*initially in VR environments)

NEOPromo.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by KA1 on

I really like your character style, keep 'em coming.

--Walt Sterdan

Cool a male representation of the ships AI, ususally you get them to be girls. I like that silvery coat

• Nice start! I like the style, like a cross between anime and western style but not over the top.

edited December 2015

Thanks for the comments :)  I'd been trying to come up with an Admiral/Councillor character for a while in the background but hadn't found anything that I thought suited - I believe this weekend may have been my breakthrough so here is what I have for "Councillor Kenji" -

KenjiPromo.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by KA1 on

Very cool. As I mentioned, I really like your style, very unique. Your character sheets are also very well-done, with the full-body, bust and background shots all in one. Nice.

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:

Very cool. As I mentioned, I really like your style, very unique. Your character sheets are also very well-done, with the full-body, bust and background shots all in one. Nice.

-- Walt Sterdan

Thank you @wsterdan I just have the last 2.5 character sheets to do before I can start putting the rest of the assets together to do a trailer. I'm trying to be as careful as possible with the characters etc to keep the style consistent throughout as in the past I've had a tenancy to rush things! Taking the extra time with the councillor paid off I think as I'm quite happy with him now compared to the first 3 attempts!!

edited December 2015

Meet "Reiya"

ReiyaPromo.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by KA1 on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,083

Can't wait to see more of it! :)

• I really like how Councilor Kenji turned out.  You have a nice unique style!!

Hey I really like that girls concept, she's got personaltity!  Just one idea, maybe you put the spacecraft a bit lower so that the lighter parts of the spacecraft don't overblend the eyes of the Char.

Linwelly said:

Hey I really like that girls concept, she's got personaltity!  Just one idea, maybe you put the spacecraft a bit lower so that the lighter parts of the spacecraft don't overblend the eyes of the Char.

Goodca catch Linwelly, thanks for the tip. Essentially in the trailer the ship should be gently moving up and down so I'll be sure to look and hopefully avoid that s there's a fair amount of space lower down for that motion :)
    edited December 2015

Here's a little teaser.....

!EvilIsComingNCSTA.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by KA1 on
    edited December 2015

Meet "Emiko"

EmikoPromo.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by KA1 on

Looking good, I espeically liked "EVIL IS COMING".

Now that we have the cast, what's next for our viewing pleasure? ;-)

-- Walt Sterdan

edited December 2015

I have now started rendering scenes and assets for Episode 1 (Derelict) as well as putting elements together for the trailer (which is primarily what all the Character promo shots are for!) Turns out I needed an additional 3 supporting cast members for the opening so I quickly brought together Commander Yana (Emma) and Lieutenant Farnham (Tom) who are stationed at a remote monitoring outpost on the edge of the galaxy, 

FarnhamYana.png
    800 x 1294 - 962K
    Post edited by KA1 on
    edited January 2016

Have been working on a few sets and the odd frame or two, I have and example below of the back end of beyond outer world city and also a frame which follows shortly after the intro in the city - still have a few sets to build but now have a few to start putting together some elements which is quite exciting!

!TechnoPopulatedTest.png
    800 x 600 - 640K
    !Busted.png
    800 x 600 - 573K
    Post edited by KA1 on

I like the busted one, nice work with the light there as well!

Looks like things are pulling together nicely, really looking foward to seeing the trailer.

-- Walt Sterdan

edited January 2016

Work for the trailer has started and the rough story board for episode 1 is coming together nicely. In the meantime, here's a frame from episode 1, random out of context of the story which makes it a bit of a teaser, there is drama! !

12528380_10207048746994981_103254137_o.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 120K
    Post edited by KA1 on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Not my style either but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the art anway! I am liking what I see so far!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2016

KA1, it's hard to tell which character is my favorite as I'm a sucker for large eyes (Puss In Boots awwww factor.)  I think Chiyo wins. The Councillor has a thoughtful look, wise. This should be quite entertaining!

I do want to mention one thing- in stills, with dark scenes, viewers have a chance to register what is suggested in the darkness. In motion (I assume this means animation?) they do not. Be careful with underlit scenes. The render with the guns, I can't see the individual holding the gun which is away from the front, I assume that's intentional- and the outstretched arm clearly indicates a gun is being held. But with the figure in front,  that weapon in his hand can barely be seen, and certainly won't be in a moving scene. We wouldn't kniow he is armed. That has to be better lit if it's important. While there are many kudos for this project, I felt I needed to be honest about what I was thinking. The same applies to the street scene, it's too dark IMO, the people are barely noticeable and if the scene is moving, the viewer won't have time to decipher that city scene. Lean back, look at your thumbnails on both those renders, and that's what people will see.

All the characters look like they belong together, you have a nice style and the last render with the energy field is vibrant and we can feel the action. Nicely done!

I'm sending you a PM regarding a different matter smiley

Post edited by Novica on