Hello . . . March Madness 2024

Comments

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,336

James_H said:

I am confused by the Daz strategy on bundles. Kara 9 was in my cart but keeps getting more expensive. Empty cart time!

Sadly I did not take advantage on the initial sale of the Kara Pro Bundle on Feb 29th thinking March Madness might make it a bit sweeter, and now the bundle is out of my price range, including a whole bunch of other stuff that really had some nice deals.  Oh well,  we get another leap year in 4 years, but we'll probably be up to Geneisi15 by then. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,914

its not mad, its the same daz sales 

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 613

For DAZ3D’s March Madness 202, the daily key items (not the Your Key items) and the deep discounts they give on products from selected vendors, have caused me to buy twice so far.  Inasmuch as I’m a hobbyist/dabbler who has been buying in the store since 2008, there is little that I need or want now so I don’t spend a lot for the type of products that I’d buy (no skimpy female clothing, weapons, orcs, trolls, etc.).  And I never pay full price; my mother taught me that lesson decades ago.  I bought the Monday Key (Emily Hair) for $1.61 so that I could buy Secret Aztec Temple for $6.54 and Starship Shuttle Bay Volume 1 for $3.79.  I bought only the Tuesday Key (Egyptian Atrium 2) for $2.15.  I’ll likely buy today’s Key item (Cyber Dreams) for $1.88 or only $1.41 if I buy another item that Wednesday’s Key heavily discounts.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,130

Not feeling the "fun" of March Madness any more, nothing to look forward to or get excited by  - I guess those days are gone and this just feels like another one of the endless DAZ sales events.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,836

Not sure why people are complaining. I've been getting some great deals. It just takes work figuring out all the stacking vs tokens. All the 2nd key items have been under $2.00 in the cart without tokens. You have to try putting things in your cart and juggling things around, but most of what I've purchased has been 84% to 94% off.  

• I know it's early yet but so far this MM hasn't been my thing. So far from my thing that it hasn't even reached Meh-ness. Partly, of course it's that I'm not into G9 or the fan art add-ons. The few things I am interested in, new or wishlisted, are out of budget and I don't enjoy cart games.

I do enjoy my own little game of "let's see what I have that is similar" however.

And I enjoy reading about others' finds. So regale me while we see what else shows up.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,022

So far MM hasn't impressed, but that was to be expected as it's only the 8th. Last year the crazy deals started coming up in the second half of the sales (except for the Christmas sale that never took off).
    I'm not saying it's completely bad either, the key items (the cheap ones) together with Daz+ items from "Mad Artist Stores" gives over 90% off even without using any tokens, but the selection changes every day. Yesterday there was plenty that I could have bought, today there is just three, but my tokens are good until end of Sunday, so I can wait.

1. "There's Always Another Sale" - If the price doesn't match the price one wants to pay, put it on the wishlist and see if it comes up later at lower price, so far it hasn't taken even a year to get the item at price I wanted to pay for it.
    2. One gets the best prices by stacking different discounts, but it usually also means the cart total is somewhere upwards from $40, I don't usually bother if I can't get the cart at 90% off or even better discount.

• PerttiA said:

So far MM hasn't impressed, but that was to be expected as it's only the 8th. Last year the crazy deals started coming up in the second half of the sales (except for the Christmas sale that never took off).
    I'm not saying it's completely bad either, the key items (the cheap ones) together with Daz+ items from "Mad Artist Stores" gives over 90% off even without using any tokens, but the selection changes every day. Yesterday there was plenty that I could have bought, today there is just three, but my tokens are good until end of Sunday, so I can wait.

1. "There's Always Another Sale" - If the price doesn't match the price one wants to pay, put it on the wishlist and see if it comes up later at lower price, so far it hasn't taken even a year to get the item at price I wanted to pay for it.
    2. One gets the best prices by stacking different discounts, but it usually also means the cart total is somewhere upwards from $40, I don't usually bother if I can't get the cart at 90% off or even better discount.

As always, I'm waiting for that right combination of fabtastic new stuff and discounts, particularly of the stacking variety. In the last year, I have pretty much picked up all of the legacy stuff that I reasonably need, though at the 90-95% off that one can get with the Mad Artist items without even using tokens, I am nibbling away at some "maybe one day" items as they present themselves. "There's always another sale" after all. Mine will come.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,680

March sadness ensues. I have a big credit from Februay sitting still, waiting . . .  and have yet to use it. Editorials are a fly-by for me, and because we cannot legally sell fan art, this sale so far has been a huge pass for me.

• PixelPiePixelPie Posts: 319

Wonderland said:

Not sure why people are complaining. I've been getting some great deals. It just takes work figuring out all the stacking vs tokens. All the 2nd key items have been under $2.00 in the cart without tokens. You have to try putting things in your cart and juggling things around, but most of what I've purchased has been 84% to 94% off.  

Same here, I actually got some really fun Bundles @ 90% off.. using the combination of tokens, key items, and other associated items stacking. 

I know the cost of things economically has some to do with it--I've seen grocery items go up 5$ since this time last year..   

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,023

beregar said:

Torquinox said:

beregar said:

I for one hope there isn't a massive sale of goods I want until the 15th because that's my payday. That being said I'm not even sure what I want to buy. I mean I usually end up buying discount stuff (mostly from my wishlist) but at the same time I have come to realize that most of that discount stuff is really not something I use as it is somewhat lower quality (sometimes much lower!) than the products I *really* want.

Like no offense to Jerry Jang but those constellation warrior series I originally drooled over are a potential minefield if they are anything like the Black Turtle or Knight Series, and you want to use them with anything but the basic G8M shape. I mean most of them list The Brute as a supported shape but try actually using it and they deform badly. Plus the textures don't feel high quality.

Compare this to, say, Luthbel's works which are pricey but dang good (albeit they too have some trouble with the brute and swole shapes).

I know for sure what I'd *like* to buy but those are not available for the G8 and I still don't want to switch over to G9. I wish DS had zbrush style integrated painting tools so I could make folds and wrinkles for my bought clothing instead of relying on DForce - because DF kinda sucks... resources, that is. I haven't quite gotten the grasp on Blender either and all this bridge stuff and the language around it makes my head spin. I don't need complex super real physics accurate folds and wrinkles. I just want something that is easy to do and looks good.

Eh, I'm getting off tangent here. 

Perhaps you should focus on the products you really, really want. That would be a sensible and disciplined approach. What you're saying about quality also makes sense. If you're talking about clothing, perhaps https://www.daz3d.com/mmx-genesis-9-clones-for-all will let you do what you want without using G9.

What is this "discipline" thing you are talking about? I mean it almost looks like an English word but I do not understand it... but I'm very frugal in my spending if that's what you mean, and my 147 page Daz product library agrees with this.

(looks at own store product page count that just edged over into the 1084th page)  For some of us, a 147 page count sounds extremely disciplined and selective.... though not as much fun. :)   

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,023

Rasberri said:

Wonderland said:

Same here, I actually got some really fun Bundles @ 90% off.. using the combination of tokens, key items, and other associated items stacking. 

I know the cost of things economically has some to do with it--I've seen grocery items go up 5$ since this time last year..   

The longer that you've been here, the less deals there are to be had.  Hard to get a deal on something that you already own.  Beyond that, a LOT of the new product is yet more variants of things that are already in the store in profusion so, again, a lot of people will pass on yet another set of completely inauthentic pirate clothing or loft apartment...

Cybersox said:

Rasberri said:

Wonderland said:

The longer that you've been here, the less deals there are to be had.  Hard to get a deal on something that you already own.  Beyond that, a LOT of the new product is yet more variants of things that are already in the store in profusion so, again, a lot of people will pass on yet another set of completely inauthentic pirate clothing or loft apartment...

I've been here forever but finding great deals on older stuff I had in my wishlist that are more offbeat like Mechasar stuff and a variety of products that were never discounted enough for me. There are still tons of stuff in the legacy sales (which are still from the G8 era) I had in my wishlist and when I put them in the cart with 8 tokens is cheaper than even 30%-45% off from its lowest price according to Daz Deals. The items in my cart (with 8 tokens) are literally the cheapest they have ever been in the history of Daz. 

I'm clearing out many things that have been in my wishlist for ages. People who don't use G9 should be especially happy with all the G8/G3 and older stuff on super sale! You have to put stuff in your cart to see the discounts! Many are 80% off even without tokens. And no pirate clothing or loft apartments lol, it's mostly quirky stuff that I never would have purchased at a higher price (which is why they're still in my wishlist.) Even the key item XI Floating Club is 84% off and at $4.21 in cart is the most  expensive item in my cart except the Mechasar Add-On pack. 

• beregarberegar Posts: 269

Cybersox said:

(looks at own store product page count that just edged over into the 1084th page)  For some of us, a 147 page count sounds extremely disciplined and selective.... though not as much fun. :)  

Oh, with the 40 items per page view? That's... huh... that's impressive! Crazy but impressive!

• GreeboGreebo Posts: 161

This is just so yawns-ville so far
    But I’m holding onto my cash for a more impressive offering.
    And if there isn’t one… Well, who cares?

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 790

I'm happy for all the people who are getting good deals with this! I guess I just don't have the right stuff from the right artists to trigger the impressive discounts, especially without tokens or spending money on key items that don't interest me. (Sci fi is a total pass... not my flavor of nerd, though yay for the people who can geek out over it. There certainly seems to be a lot aimed that direction.)

Maybe in a few days. I figure tomorrow will be the "surprise" extension of the weekend sale after our "only 24 hours remaining" warning, and maybe Tuesday will kick up something different and interesting. 

• KerseyKersey Posts: 61

March Madness have quite good discounts if you compare it to a single day in say February. The problem I think is that you can't stack discounts. There is only one day of discounts. Compare that to a usual Daz week where one day you could get 20% off the whole cart, next day 30% on whishlist items and the next 30% on Daz originals. You then buy items from different days, end up with a cart of 15 items. A few of them are new releases, but the rest of the items have discounts that are through the roof. Really mad discounts. In March Madness you buy a key item and two more items and you've reached the max discount you can get. That's why it feels lackluster.

• theflarftheflarf Posts: 144

I must be missing something, I don't see any of these key items being cheap.

So far it's nothing particularly special as a sale, mostly feels just like any other random day/month

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,751

Cybersox said:

beregar said:

Torquinox said:

beregar said:

I for one hope there isn't a massive sale of goods I want until the 15th because that's my payday. That being said I'm not even sure what I want to buy. I mean I usually end up buying discount stuff (mostly from my wishlist) but at the same time I have come to realize that most of that discount stuff is really not something I use as it is somewhat lower quality (sometimes much lower!) than the products I *really* want.

[snip]

Perhaps you should focus on the products you really, really want. That would be a sensible and disciplined approach. What you're saying about quality also makes sense. If you're talking about clothing, perhaps https://www.daz3d.com/mmx-genesis-9-clones-for-all will let you do what you want without using G9.

What is this "discipline" thing you are talking about? I mean it almost looks like an English word but I do not understand it... but I'm very frugal in my spending if that's what you mean, and my 147 page Daz product library agrees with this.

Disciplined and Selective are both good traits, been here since 2008,  and the library page count is 161.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,751

theflarf said:

So far it's nothing particularly special as a sale, mostly feels just like any other random day/month

You may have to be a Daz+ member to see some of the available discounts.

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 641
    edited March 12

FirstBastion said:

Cybersox said:

beregar said:

Torquinox said:

beregar said:

[snip]

Disciplined and Selective are both good traits, been here since 2008,  and the library page count is 161.

The next time someone tells me I am a spendthrift, I shall inform them that First Bastion says I am selective and disciplined (here since 2007 with 167 pages) ;)

Post edited by lorraineopua on

theflarf said:

The DLD Floating Candle Kit is $2.42 without using tokens. 

• PerttiA said:

theflarf said:

The DLD Floating Candle Kit is $2.42 without using tokens. 

I've noticed Key Items show higher on the daily promo page for some odd reason. The promo page says the Candle set is the $5.99 alternate key item, but alone in the cart it's $3.23 & the $2.42 after adding 1+ items. 

And only a free Key item, like the Heat animation plug in last week, would be a better deal. I am considering https://www.daz3d.com/lorez-horse-2-bundle $20.97 alone; with the Candles the cart is $14.66, $6+ less.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 2,003
    edited March 12
    Having a key item in your cart lowers the price of new items, that's why even having just the one item is lower in the cart, it's still applying the new item discount you get for including that item. Though it does sound like at least one other sale is being applied in that case.
    Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,507

I think it's $5.99 as the one-day-only base price, 40% off for being Newly Mad, then when you put it in the cart, it takes an extra 10% off for being Newly Mad with a key item in the cart.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,934

Almost halfway through, I have to say this MM has been pretty lukewarm for me so far. There's been a few ok offers here and there that I've taken advantage of, but nothing to write home about.

• VenomisbeautyVenomisbeauty Posts: 108
    edited March 13

Me following this MM

woman-at-desk-with-hot-drink-yawning.jpg
    1100 x 734 - 65K
    Post edited by Venomisbeauty on
    edited March 15

Weird that people are complaining. My only complaint is that I'm spending way too much but it's hard to turn down everything at 84%-96% off!

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • Wonderland said:

Weird that people are complaining. My only complaint is that I'm spending way too much but it's hard to turn down everything at 84%-96% off!

Perhaps they're looking at the dollars rather than the percentage. I know 84% is no longer doing it for me and I'm a pretty big spender. That's a pity for non-DO artists/items because they rarely get discounted more than that. Today is an exception.

ainm.sloinneadh said:

Wonderland said:

Perhaps they're looking at the dollars rather than the percentage. I know 84% is no longer doing it for me and I'm a pretty big spender. That's a pity for non-DO artists/items because they rarely get discounted more than that. Today is an exception.

Getting items from ones wishlist for under a dollar or even half a dollar is the result of getting 92-97& off
    There isn't many carts the past year that I have bought, that wasn't at least 90% off for the whole cart

So far MM hasn't been as mad as last year, but there hasn't been one day that I haven't been able to get the whole cart to 90% off or better, so I have timed my purchases to how my tokens are expiring and when I want them to expire.