Hello . . . March Madness 2024

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,804

Wonderland said:

Weird that people are complaining. My only complaint is that I'm spending way too much but it's hard to turn down everything at 84%-96% off!

I suspect if I were someone who bought new items and/or generally spent more I'd probably get decent discounts, too. Different shopping styles, and different monthly budgets. If DAZ is rewarding big spenders, I guess that makes business sense.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 257

Wonderland said:

Weird that people are complaining. My only complaint is that I'm spending way too much but it's hard to turn down everything at 84%-96% off!

If that was what my cart was coming in as, I'd be thrilled too. But I don't put anything in there I won't use (with the exception of if it drops the things I do want SUPER significantly, enough to more than make up for the unnecessary item) and that's been pretty much everything lately. Just depends on what you're after, I suppose. I'm glad it's working well for you. :) Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be a wishlist sale with a decent stacking discount soon.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,094

I think this year's MM accounts for the existence of the tokens, and people with 8 tokens can get their carts down to 90% (and maybe even higher). For token-less people, the discounts are slightly less appealing, but the grab bags alone are sometimes exciting.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,479

I don't buy old DAZ+ stuff. I have tons of it already from being here since the PC started way back in time. The discounting, while its pretty good, still results in a lot of dollars, much higher than ever. I cannot afford to buy for tokens. Its tempting but I need to control my spend. Tightly. 

• SnowSnow Posts: 95

Wonderland said:

84-96%? I wish

We must be shopping at different stores because I'm not seeying those discounts. Unless you need to buy a certain item to get a discount on another item that's on discount when you buy that other item but only after you stacked it with that other item, which is on discount too btw!

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,685
    edited March 15

Snow said:

84-96%? I wish

We must be shopping at different stores because I'm not seeying those discounts. Unless you need to buy a certain item to get a discount on another item that's on discount when you buy that other item but only after you stacked it with that other item, which is on discount too btw!

Those usually happen in flash sales or through stacking discounts. In this case, we're talking mostly about stacking discounts, so you end up spending a fair amount to trigger the discounts. The key items worked together with other items to give big discounts, but folks doing that may still have been spending $50+ to get that. I routinely hear people talking about their $100+ carts. I get one or two of those a year and it's always around the holidays. Otherwise, I'm a flash sale sniper bagging a few items here or there and usually for less than $10 total. It probably takes a bunch of folks like me to equal some of these other folk.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • RasberriRasberri Posts: 271
    edited March 15

lorraineopua said:

FirstBastion said:

Cybersox said:

beregar said:

Torquinox said:

beregar said:

I for one hope there isn't a massive sale of goods I want until the 15th because that's my payday. That being said I'm not even sure what I want to buy. I mean I usually end up buying discount stuff (mostly from my wishlist) but at the same time I have come to realize that most of that discount stuff is really not something I use as it is somewhat lower quality (sometimes much lower!) than the products I *really* want.

[snip]

Eh, I'm getting off tangent here. 

Perhaps you should focus on the products you really, really want. That would be a sensible and disciplined approach. What you're saying about quality also makes sense. If you're talking about clothing, perhaps https://www.daz3d.com/mmx-genesis-9-clones-for-all will let you do what you want without using G9.

What is this "discipline" thing you are talking about? I mean it almost looks like an English word but I do not understand it... but I'm very frugal in my spending if that's what you mean, and my 147 page Daz product library agrees with this.

(looks at own store product page count that just edged over into the 1084th page)  For some of us, a 147 page count sounds extremely disciplined and selective.... though not as much fun. :)   

Disciplined and Selective are both good traits, been here since 2008,  and the library page count is 161.

The next time someone tells me I am a spendthrift, I shall inform them that First Bastion says I am selective and disciplined (here since 2007 with 167 pages) ;)

BTW @FirstBastion I have collected almost all of your catalogue-love your work!  I guess I can say I AM a spendthrift..lol! cheeky    I don't drink.. but I guess I am a daz-aholic.blush I do track the things I really really want--The other day I just picked a theme based on a discounted related item.. then I purchased Winter and snowy items that have been in my wishlist for years..  I have spent more this year than in a lot of years for March Madness.. March is also my BDay so I suppose I use that as an excuse.. I think I'm up to page count 200.   

Post edited by Rasberri on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,685

daveso said:

I don't buy old DAZ+ stuff. I have tons of it already from being here since the PC started way back in time. The discounting, while its pretty good, still results in a lot of dollars, much higher than ever. I cannot afford to buy for tokens. Its tempting but I need to control my spend. Tightly. 

There are a few little items I've been waffling about. With no actual buy-in, the price is such that I may grab them.

Yeah, whenever someone talks about getting a crazy good deal with 8 tokens it's worth remembering that they had to spend $80 (!!!) over a fairly short amount of time to get those tokens. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,376

Hylas said:

Yeah, whenever someone talks about getting a crazy good deal with 8 tokens it's worth remembering that they had to spend $80 (!!!) over a fairly short amount of time to get those tokens. 

Or they spent $40 on a Monday or Tuesday. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,584

Hylas said:

But, that $80 was used to get $800-$1200 worth of items.

Without using any tokens, my current cart has 18 items for $41.24 at 88% off, there's 5 new items at 79% to 87% off and 13 older items at 90% to 97% off - Using my expiring 4 tokens, gets the cart down to $30.89 at 91% off.
    Stacking discounts is the key.

Charlie Judge said:

Or they spent $40 on a Monday or Tuesday. 

good point. Tokens are such a non-factor for me, I forgot that double-token days existed laugh

PerttiA said:

Hylas said:

But, that $80 was used to get $800-$1200 worth of items.

Without using any tokens, my current cart has 18 items for $41.24 at 88% off, there's 5 new items at 79% to 87% off and 13 older items at 90% to 97% off - Using my expiring 4 tokens, gets the cart down to $30.89 at 91% off.
    Stacking discounts is the key.

we're both saying the same thing, but viewing it from different sides. If I want better discounts, I'd have to spend more, and more regularly.

• I used to get really down about March Mehness, but there really is Always Another Sale and I'm willing to let the fond memories go at this point.

Although I still miss the $1.99 and $2.99 sales of years gone by.

• dortybassadortybassa Posts: 491

Cannot be used to discount items already owned.

I have a couple of bundles I've been waiting an eternity to fill.. When was the last sale that didn't have that caveat?

• TomhipTomhip Posts: 266
    edited March 15

Blando Calrissian said:

I used to get really down about March Mehness, but there really is Always Another Sale and I'm willing to let the fond memories go at this point.

Although I still miss the $1.99 and $2.99 sales of years gone by.

Dont think about $1.99 and $2.99 of years gone by....

Think about $4.99 and $5.99 of years to come :D

Post edited by Tomhip on
  • I've enjoyed March Madness quite a bit.  I've been able to take advantage of the deals to get a lot of assets-ideal for me who's pretty new to Daz and I need to build my library.  I've been eyeing the Daz 3 Dragon Bundle for a good bit.  When combining the promotions with my tokens I was able to get it down to about $25.  Was pretty happy about that!  Dragons!

dortybassa said:

Cannot be used to discount items already owned.

I have a couple of bundles I've been waiting an eternity to fill.. When was the last sale that didn't have that caveat?

That sentence has no meaning in practice. Why it's there, dates back to early days when it was apparently possible to get money back from items one had bought if they were available later at a lower price.

What you are looking for is "Pay only for items you don't own" and it has been quite a while since the last time. 

Using the 4 tokens that are expiring today, the current cart is 27 items for $30.16 at 94% off.
    I'm going to leave it as it is until my morning (23:37 now) and check the lightning deals before pulling the trigger.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747
    edited March 15

Snow said:

Wonderland said:

84-96%? I wish

You have to put things in your cart to see the discounts. I have been purchasing one key item, usually the lowest priced one there is and in each case, it WAS something I could use. Today a new Mousso character for $3.79? A no brainer for me. I love all her products. Yesterday I wasn't into Sophia or the bundle but did like Riley hair for $3.11 in the cart and triggered discounts on other things. Yesterday the most expensive thing in my cart was Shape Gen Plus for Genesis 9 at $4.70. Everything else was significantly lower with many items items under $1.00. All had been sitting in my wishlist waiting for supersales. Many G9 items were even under $4.00 in the cart. Throughout the sale, the most expensive thing in my cart was around $4.00 and change with most things significantly lower. Which made me pile things in my cart which added up and gave me more tokens... I'm spending way more than I would want but the items I'm buying are individually the least expensive they've been in the history of the store even if I take their lowest price and deduct 30%-45% for the tokens, it's still cheaper than it would have been in the past. For the $3.99 grab bag items, I sort them from highest to lowest price. If there's something I want, I put it in my cart and if it's 82% off or more I'll usually keep it. But most aren't worth it because they aren't getting as big of a discount. On Monday and Tuesday I stocked up especially so I could get double tokens. The tokens help a lot and I try to keep all items in my cart at under $4.00 each and at LEAST 82% off. 

I've been here long enough that I've learned how to play the DAZ "game" lol. I put a ton of things in my wishlist then patiently wait till they are at least 82% off, often up to 96% off, then go crazy piling things into the cart and get tokens for the next day. 

Post edited by Wonderland on

Wonderland said:

You have to put things in your cart to see the discounts. I have been purchasing one key item, usually the lowest priced one there is and in each case, it WAS something I could use. Today a new Mousso character for $3.79? A no brainer for me.

But to get to that price, one has to apply 8 tokens, right? So it's not just "you have to put things in your cart to see the discounts" but also "you have to have tokens too".

Nothing against people who keep their tokens at 8 (you're all the biggest store supporters), but I think it's unfair to not mention the tokens when you argue discounts and prices, because without tokens, unless I'm missing something, the best I can see for that character is $6.89 at 74% off. Still good price for many but not the "oh, put things in the cart and it's going to be that low."

• edited March 16

Torquinox said:

Snow said:

84-96%? I wish

Those usually happen in flash sales or through stacking discounts. In this case, we're talking mostly about stacking discounts, so you end up spending a fair amount to trigger the discounts. The key items worked together with other items to give big discounts, but folks doing that may still have been spending $50+ to get that. I routinely hear people talking about their $100+ carts. I get one or two of those a year and it's always around the holidays. Otherwise, I'm a flash sale sniper bagging a few items here or there and usually for less than $10 total. It probably takes a bunch of folks like me to equal some of these other folk.

That's me, too. I see a lightning deal or coupon/flash/wishlist sale and, if I have a few extra dollars at the time, I grab 1-3 things I really want. Like this week I picked up Predatron's https://www.daz3d.com/lorez-horse-2 and https://www.daz3d.com/dld-floating-candle-kit for <$10 to see how the Lo-rez Horse 2 (which comes with a higher-resolution option) compares with Daz Horse 2 and then Drutherson 8 with the $3.99 coupon code. I was glad the Candle set was something I can see myself using or I would have passed on buying (again). Most of the other Key and Mad items so far are things I won't use &/or G9 only so no buying those days.

I try to stick to my wishlist, too, unless there is a really good item I missed. If I like the current Daz+ Weekly/monthly freebie I put that in the cart too* and I am done. 

(I don't have the budget to spend more than $20-30/month since I'm semi-retired and husband is retired and got denied additional disability.)

*if you're not a member you can get them free with just about any purchase

Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on

joanna said:

Wonderland said:

You have to put things in your cart to see the discounts. I have been purchasing one key item, usually the lowest priced one there is and in each case, it WAS something I could use. Today a new Mousso character for $3.79? A no brainer for me.

But to get to that price, one has to apply 8 tokens, right? So it's not just "you have to put things in your cart to see the discounts" but also "you have to have tokens too".

Nothing against people who keep their tokens at 8 (you're all the biggest store supporters), but I think it's unfair to not mention the tokens when you argue discounts and prices, because without tokens, unless I'm missing something, the best I can see for that character is $6.89 at 74% off. Still good price for many but not the "oh, put things in the cart and it's going to be that low."

Yeah, I am using tokens, but if you add two older PA items from the list (which you can get under a dollar if they are also Daz Originals or Daz+) the price will go down further. I guess I lucked out when I first started acquiring the tokens, the deals were already good. I'm the type who buys a whole bunch at once at a super discount with an average cost of about $2.30 per item or less (my current cart) including new items. During the $1.99 sales back in the day, I would do huge carts too. I rarely spend more than $5.00 for an item unless I REALLY want it right now. And I never spend more than $18 for a pro bundle (except when they used to give you two free older pro bundles with purchase of the new one.) I have a ridiculous amount of content but I'm patient and frugal and wait till I get the prices I'm happy with. 

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 257

Sigh... there goes my hope of some Irish-themed 'madness' for St. Pat's. We get a weekend to catch up! (On all the things I passed over the first time because they didn't interest me) And there's another pose pack that proves that I am not, in fact, feminine (in spite of being cis-female). I really wish artists would label them "come hither poses" or "poses for the male gaze" or something. 

Or maybe I'm just a dude and haven't realized it yet.

• Today's deals look slightly interesting. Perhaps it's time to wake up and buy some stuff.

Today's deals are not very good for me. Many of the PAs listed have very few items actually on sale, with most of the catalog being just 10% off (if you have one of today's new products in the cart.) For me, for example, 3DUniverse only shows 3 items on sale and they're from the V4 era. Some artists show 0 items on sale ( I probably own some or many items though.) But it's clearly not the PAs' entire older back catalog on sale. Just ones I guess they've chosen to put on sale which is sometimes very few. I thought last weekend"s sale was better. Or maybe I finally own everything I want from the DAZ store? Nahhh.

• SnowSnow Posts: 95

Wonderland said:

joanna said:

Wonderland said:

Yeah, I am using tokens, but if you add two older PA items from the list (which you can get under a dollar if they are also Daz Originals or Daz+) the price will go down further. I guess I lucked out when I first started acquiring the tokens, the deals were already good. I'm the type who buys a whole bunch at once at a super discount with an average cost of about $2.30 per item or less (my current cart) including new items. During the $1.99 sales back in the day, I would do huge carts too. I rarely spend more than $5.00 for an item unless I REALLY want it right now. And I never spend more than $18 for a pro bundle (except when they used to give you two free older pro bundles with purchase of the new one.) I have a ridiculous amount of content but I'm patient and frugal and wait till I get the prices I'm happy with. 

Again not seeying items under a dollar and I randomly put items in my cart to find out. Obviously I'm not going to put items in that I don't need and still have to spend 5 dollars for. Are you DAZ+ perhaps?
    I'm not going to a clothing store and buy this shirt (which I don't need) to get another shirt (which I want) on discount. I have 20 bucks in store credit I can't even use because prices are still too high. I know a lot of these items were 1.99 or 2.99 before so 3.99 or 4.99 is out of the question unless it's an item that's high on my wishlist.

Even the orange banners that occasionly pop up are of no interest to me anymore. Different shopping experiences for sure.

Wonderland said:

You replied too late for me to test it (no blame, just stating the fact), but according to my calculations, the price I gave plus 8 tokens would give the price you gave.

I'm not criticizing your spending habits or anything (and I'm frugal myself and I have similar approach, though likely with a smaller budget ;) ). I only object to arguing that "the discounts are great and you can get to 90% off everything in your cart!" without mentioning that you're achieving it using tokens that many people don't have or simply can't maintain. There's a difference between "It's $2.50 in my cart" and "It's 2.50 with 8 tokens". I always advocate for people sharing their carts/discounts/etc. before tokens as this is the amount anyone can get (assuming there aren't some Daz+ specials and orange banners, but we can't control all the variable), so it helps everyone. Saying something is at X price without disclosing tokens sends others on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what to put in the cart to get discounts that good.

Again, this is nothing against people having tokens and using them. It's great they have them and I'm happy they're supporting Daz, because I want the store to do well (I shop here and I like the discounts which, otherwise, they might not be able to offer). I also use the few I have, when I have them. But to argue discounts from the perspective of tokens being the part of discounts for everyone creates a rather distorted picture of the discounts, because without tokens, and at the moment, those discounts aren't generally at 90% (few exceptions here and there, of course).

joanna said:

Again, this is nothing against people having tokens and using them. It's great they have them and I'm happy they're supporting Daz, because I want the store to do well (I shop here and I like the discounts which, otherwise, they might not be able to offer). I also use the few I have, when I have them. But to argue discounts from the perspective of tokens being the part of discounts for everyone creates a rather distorted picture of the discounts, because without tokens, and at the moment, those discounts aren't generally at 90% (few exceptions here and there, of course).

But one can get good discounts even with no tokens, my current cart has 13 items for $17.33 at 92% off, using 4 tokens would take it down to $13.50 at 94% off
    Just put in a key item, and start filling the cart with Daz+ items from Mad Artist Stores, some of them are even listed at over 90% off (for Daz+ members) and get 93% to 97% off in the cart without using tokens.

Getting good discounts is about finding the ones that get them and checking if there was anything one wanted

PerttiA said:

joanna said:

But one can get good discounts even with no tokens, my current cart has 13 items for $17.33 at 92% off, using 4 tokens would take it down to $13.50 at 94% off
    Just put in a key item, and start filling the cart with Daz+ items from Mad Artist Stores, some of them are even listed at over 90% off (for Daz+ members) and get 93% to 97% off in the cart without using tokens.

Getting good discounts is about finding the ones that get them and checking if there was anything one wanted

I'm not saying it's impossible. I bought quite a few things during this MM myself. I'm only pointing out that I'm tired with people arguing even greater discounts when they do not disclose that it's the tokens that got them there.