John 9!

sidsid Posts: 400
edited March 28 in The Commons

https://www.daz3d.com/john-9

I'm a little bit excited! The skin texture looks great. And how good does Neftis3D 's first (I think) SBH look. And the body hair!

Think I'll buy myself the starter pack as an easter gift.

(Jesus stuff not really my area)

john900maindaz3d.jpg
2000 x 2600 - 1M
Post edited by sid on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

Should have been named Josh.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

I certainly cannot say I'm surprised to see a new character drop before the end of the month. And this one seems singularly topical for the season. We didn't get the usual promo with the mixes with other characters, but he probably will mix as well as most of the G9 family.

I'm a bit surprised that we didn't get a hint of a GC sale before the release. But DAZ doesn't always do that.

I am not especially impressed with the promos for the outfits. (Admittedly I am rather pleased with the bathrobe in the Laidback Dude set. It looks like it could be fitted over just about anything you wanted to fit it over.)

I'm rather fed up with shaved-side hair though. 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited March 28

hahaha! Think that name's taken. [ref. to Josh]

Thank you Daz3D and also for having it on sale at an affordable price :-) Instant buy, it just jumped into the cart almost all by itself. I bought the Pro bundle.

Comes with this hair too:

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

Pass

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,383

The character looks good I think, the bundle theming - and those very harsh thorn crown/makeup promos - make me a bit uncomfortable. Also, it looks to me like we're not getting any real body shape included with the character itself anymore - ? Just something like the base masculine shape. So, no HD, no body shape ... We're quickly whittling down G9, but the price stays high. Can't say I'm happy with that tactic. 

I'm really interested to see the renders people make with him! They're often so much more versatile than the promos.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114

Personally, releasing demon-themed characters on or around Ash Wednesday was worse and DAZ did that twice.

Anyway, I think he looks good but I feel like I can already get similar mixes with Kala, Michael, and Julius. The promo artists should've thrown in a sci-fi render with him, since that's still a popular theme. ;3

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,325

In general, I can't judge whether the Passion theme is necessarily appropriate or not - I'm Catholic and have a slightly strange feeling about it. However, I hate the Jesus kitsch anyway, which has been common in painting and sculpture since the 19th century at the latest. Fortunately, apart from one picture (the 'cover' of the Pro Bundle), this is not noticeable here; the pictures are simply impressive and in some cases very dramatic.

John/'Josh' 9 looks realistic and believable. A Levantine type, not a blue-eyed north-west European 'Jesus' with golden angel curls. I really like John 9, and the promos are great this time.

As for the bundles, I'm disappointed that there are the 'Alt Shapes' again. It may be that these shapes are a bit better adapted to the respective figure than the Essentials' morphs, but the difference shouldn't be so dramatic that I would pay extra for it. For me, this extra bundle makes the Pro Bundle uninteresting. The fact that the HD is once again not integrated into the figure and has to be bought separately (if you don't want a bundle) also leaves a bland taste. So for me it will probably come down to buying John 9 + HD separately, because, as I said - I really like the character.

• I'm passing on this one.  I can get the likeness and morphs from other characters and the Jesus theme is not something I'd use often, if at all.  I'm not offended by it-for me, it's all about the value.  I might pick up the Dude outfit because it would really tie my scenes together.

• sidsid Posts: 400
    edited March 28

Put him into Daz, and oh, he is georgous! Well done to the artists who worked on him.

HD:

Body hair:

(I really like the textures)

Thought I'd try out the dressing gown:

Post edited by sid on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

The pro bundle is in my cart now. The more obvious religious products could be useful for anyone wanting to replicate classic religious paintings or sculptures, or scenes from that period. I have seen many people over the years asking for many of these items for their renders. Religious or just from that area of the world. Of course, shaders would be needed to correct the fabric of the period outfit to what a poor teacher at that time would have had access to such as, unbleached linen, cotton, or muslin. 

But looking at the figure as a 'person' he is great. We need more characters of this ethnic type. I also wish the alternative shapes could have expanded the 'types' instead of something we could do with basic shaping morphs that aren't that different.

• Textures are are big reason for me to pick up any character and they look fantastic in the renders. With most characters, you could probably dial in an equivalent if you were patient enough, but it's the textures that set really set them apart imo. Saying that, good to see a character with a distinctive, well-executed head morph. Good addition to the gene pool and a great time saver.

Not sold on the outfits myself. Feels like we've plenty of similar options already. But they seem to be good quality  and I do kind of like the tunic.

• ElorElor Posts: 693
    edited March 28

tsroemi said:

Also, it looks to me like we're not getting any real body shape included with the character itself anymore - ? Just something like the base masculine shape. So, no HD, no body shape ...

Maybe Daz added it since your message, but the main page of John 9 lists a 'John 9 Full Body Shape' morph.

Post edited by Elor on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,325

memcneil70 said:

The pro bundle is in my cart now. The more obvious religious products could be useful for anyone wanting to replicate classic religious paintings or sculptures, or scenes from that period. I have seen many people over the years asking for many of these items for their renders. Religious or just from that area of the world. Of course, shaders would be needed to correct the fabric of the period outfit to what a poor teacher at that time would have had access to such as, unbleached linen, cotton, or muslin

But looking at the figure as a 'person' he is great. We need more characters of this ethnic type. I also wish the alternative shapes could have expanded the 'types' instead of something we could do with basic shaping morphs that aren't that different.

That's exactly what I miss about the tunic - it's as clean and pretty as a kitsch picture in a pious magazine. But the man from Nazareth didn't lead a life of luxury; he was a poor travelling preacher (of which there were plenty at the time) and certainly didn't have the opportunity to change his clothes every day. Meshitup, for example, made some (historical) garments for desert dwellers and Middle Eastern peoples that would probably be more appropriate. 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,383

Elor said:

tsroemi said:

Also, it looks to me like we're not getting any real body shape included with the character itself anymore - ? Just something like the base masculine shape. So, no HD, no body shape ...

Maybe Daz added it since your message, but the main page of John 9 lists a 'John 9 Full Body Shape' morph.

Thanks, what I meant was that the included body shape seems very generic to me and very 'doughy'.

But seeing the renders posted above, I don't really care all that much anymore, cause the textures DO look gorgeous, and the head morph as well. And I've lots of body shapes I can play with. Might actually get the figure or even one of the bundles today. 

To dispel a myth, yes there is an included HD Add-On.

https://www.daz3d.com/john-9-hd-add-on

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

I wonder what hair is used in the crown of thorns promo.  It doesn't look like the propschick hair that comes in the bundle

CrownofThornsMAIN.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
  • ElorElor Posts: 693
    edited March 28

Catherine3678ab said:

It's included in the bundle, but before Kara 9 (I think), the HD morph was part of the base figure product (hence the HD moniker in the name of that base product: Victoria 9 HD, Michael 9 HD, etc).

Post edited by Elor on

Elor said:

Catherine3678ab said:

It's included in the bundle, but before Kara 9 (I think), the HD morph was part of the base figure product (hence the HD moniker in the name of that base product: Victoria 9 HD, Michael 9 HD, etc).

Right, somebody must have complained about that then. 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,580

It looks like a well-done character. The body hair should be quite useful, a good idea for any generation. I like the look of the halos. Some of them look like they could double as thrown weapons.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I never buy pro bundles any more but that body hair pack was a must as I love me a furry dude.  The shape of the character is nice.  Love the nice big schnoz which for the region he was born in it was pretty much a given that he would have a nice pronounced nose.  The long angular face is nice too.  I didn't check to see if the skin had options to darken it.  From that region of the world they sure were not white in tone.  It's a shame that the Universal Halo's were not included in the pro bundle.  Oh well.  

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,904

I've been animating a show of Bible stories for a network (putting the finishing touches on the last story this week for the second episode which will hopefully air in the next month or so) and this is an instant pick up, though I'm waiting til this evening to buy it because there's always some extra sale mid day it seems. I could have used the tunic like a year ago, but for episode 3, it'll fit perfectly! Now we just need some environments to go with this character. 

• OrangeFalconOrangeFalcon Posts: 39
    edited March 28

I broke down and got the bundle.  The top cloth had some clipping but I think George Carlin would be proud.

Post edited by OrangeFalcon on
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    I like him, except the palms making the fingers look weirdly light. His forehead shape might be problematic when fitting hair.
  • dortybassadortybassa Posts: 490
    edited March 28

sid said:

Put him into Daz, and oh, he is georgous! Well done to the artists who worked on him.

That top picture of yours makes me think of Oscar Isaac  (Just looked up that he did play JC lol, didn't realise)

Post edited by dortybassa on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited March 28

Has anyone tried the hair on a female? I need to get something new to trigger other deals and use up tokens but nothing interests me involving John. I'm thinking the haloes could be used for sci-fi fantasy though but wondering what the hair looks like on a female. Referring to this hair: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-christopher-hair-for-genesis-9

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,662

Beautiful renders, sid. Thanks for posting them.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

caravelle said:

That's exactly what I miss about the tunic - it's as clean and pretty as a kitsch picture in a pious magazine. But the man from Nazareth didn't lead a life of luxury; he was a poor travelling preacher (of which there were plenty at the time) and certainly didn't have the opportunity to change his clothes every day. Meshitup, for example, made some (historical) garments for desert dwellers and Middle Eastern peoples that would probably be more appropriate. 

Clean clothing and other props are arguably more useful, because there are plenty of ways to make them look dirty, ragged etc., but if the base textures and geometry look filthy, there's not a lot you can do to make them cleaner.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,266
    edited March 28

Wonderland said:

Has anyone tried the hair on a female? I need to get something new to trigger other deals and use up tokens but nothing interests me involving John. I'm thinking the haloes could be used for sci-fi fantasy though but wondering what the hair looks like on a female. Referring to this hair: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-christopher-hair-for-genesis-9

I did this in a hurry so there are a few fireflies in the hair but here is Faber's London wearing the Christopher hair

Londonandhair.png
    1312 x 1073 - 1M
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • sidsid Posts: 400

tsroemi said:

Elor said:

tsroemi said:

Thanks, what I meant was that the included body shape seems very generic to me and very 'doughy'.

It's not chiselled, but its got some nice details for a more average bod, and to my eyes better proportioned that the couple of other average bodies we've had in the core figures. Little details like the shoulder blades, neck muscles, and hands, all seem to pose better than expected. The pectoral muscles seem to deform well when I tried the yoga pose set. I like the shape of his arms and legs. Shoulders look a bit strange when posed with arms overhead, but that's pretty much universal with all the figures.

So, for me, the body ended up being a bonus. :)

Ha, OrangeFalcon. That was my first thought when I saw the bundle.

dortybassa - Michael 9 mixed with Julius 9 was always my Oscar Issac go to. I do love me a bearded Oscar tho.

I hope everyone has some fun with him over Easter and can post some renders.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

sid said:

It's not chiselled, but its got some nice details for a more average bod, and to my eyes better proportioned that the couple of other average bodies we've had in the core figures. Little details like the shoulder blades, neck muscles, and hands, all seem to pose better than expected. The pectoral muscles seem to deform well when I tried the yoga pose set. I like the shape of his arms and legs. Shoulders look a bit strange when posed with arms overhead, but that's pretty much universal with all the figures.

This is super helpful, thank you! I've been waffling all day but I think I'm going to go for it.