• midgard229midgard229 Posts: 14
    He has some nice details
    prayer_2_sig_small-1.png
    1269 x 1650 - 4M
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    edited March 29

nemesis10 said:

Wonderland said:

Has anyone tried the hair on a female? I need to get something new to trigger other deals and use up tokens but nothing interests me involving John. I'm thinking the haloes could be used for sci-fi fantasy though but wondering what the hair looks like on a female. Referring to this hair: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-christopher-hair-for-genesis-9

I did this in a hurry so there are a few fireflies in the hair but here is Faber's London wearing the Christopher hair

Thanks for posting the render, I ended up getting the haloes because I can use it for sci-fi or fantasy but I'll add this to my wishlist. I'm not a big fan of strand based hair though. I like more control, especially the ability to make hair longer or shorter. 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • sidsid Posts: 400

midgard229 said:

He has some nice details

Is that the extra 'make-up' set he comes with in the Pro bundle? They look a lot more 3D than Sophia's.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,258

Wonderland said:

Thanks for posting the render, I ended up getting the haloes because I can use it for sci-fi or fantasy but I'll add this to my wishlist. I'm not a big fan of strand based hair though. I like more control, especially the ability to make hair longer or shorter. 

I love strand-based hair, but wouldn't buy any (more) made by Propschick.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,488

I've lost my restraint to March madness, so I have to spend all these points on something. I didn't rtealize until this week that you can only apply 8 points to a single cart. 

• Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

How do you tell if it's strand based and is there something wrong with the ones Propschick makes? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,258

G3Renderworks said:

Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

How do you tell if it's strand based and is there something wrong with the ones Propschick makes? 

It is admittedly tricky to know for sure that a given hair is SBH, but there are a number of tells. A hair that lists "dForce Hair" in the compatible software might be SBH, or it might use the cloth engine and be miscategorized because Daz didn't do themselves or their customers any favors by using the term "dForce Hair"; on the flipside, hair that lists "dForce Cloth" in compatible software won't be SBH. And then there are PAs like Toyen, whose hairs are rarely labeled as dForce because they're not intended to be simulated, despite being made with SBH, and FESoul, who sells a number of dForce cloth hairs and has never, to my knowledge, made an SBH hair. You can also get a clue from the texture maps included with the hair: SBH has no use for maps like normals, roughness, etc, and won't need an opacity map except for the scalp/haircap. The biggest difference for me, and one of the biggest reasons I prefer SBH, is that transmapped hair looks like transmapped hair, while SBH looks like individual strands, though that's admittedly subjective and not necessarily useful for you.

As for Propschick, I own a few that I stopped using long enough ago that I don't remember specifically what was wrong with them. If I'm remembering correctly, @barbult can give you a more detailed description. 

• Gordig said:

G3Renderworks said:

Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

It is admittedly tricky to know for sure that a given hair is SBH, but there are a number of tells. A hair that lists "dForce Hair" in the compatible software might be SBH, or it might use the cloth engine and be miscategorized because Daz didn't do themselves or their customers any favors by using the term "dForce Hair"; on the flipside, hair that lists "dForce Cloth" in compatible software won't be SBH. And then there are PAs like Toyen, whose hairs are rarely labeled as dForce because they're not intended to be simulated, despite being made with SBH, and FESoul, who sells a number of dForce cloth hairs and has never, to my knowledge, made an SBH hair. You can also get a clue from the texture maps included with the hair: SBH has no use for maps like normals, roughness, etc, and won't need an opacity map except for the scalp/haircap. The biggest difference for me, and one of the biggest reasons I prefer SBH, is that transmapped hair looks like transmapped hair, while SBH looks like individual strands, though that's admittedly subjective and not necessarily useful for you.

As for Propschick, I own a few that I stopped using long enough ago that I don't remember specifically what was wrong with them. If I'm remembering correctly, @barbult can give you a more detailed description. 

Thanks, I appreciate the info. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,222
    @G3Renderworks here is a link to one thread that gives you an idea of Propschick hair issues. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/644341/is-this-hair-really-supossed-to-look-like-this There are other discussions about her other hairs and their issues, but I don't have a handy link. I won't buy any more, either.
  • ElliandraElliandra Posts: 483

ALLIEKATBLUE said:

I wonder what hair is used in the crown of thorns promo.  It doesn't look like the propschick hair that comes in the bundle

I'll second the wanting to know what hair this is lol it's gorgeous!! 

• stelaristelari Posts: 74

Seconding the opinion that his skin is great. And the body hair is great, good to have another option there - more hairy guys! Here's a bit of a mix with Jack.

john_workout.png
    1500 x 1950 - 4M

Elliandra said:

ALLIEKATBLUE said:

I wonder what hair is used in the crown of thorns promo.  It doesn't look like the propschick hair that comes in the bundle

I'll second the wanting to know what hair this is lol it's gorgeous!! 

The only hair I have that comes close to simulating like that is https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-romeo-hair-for-genesis-8 which does take the new omni shaders. The part is to the side tho.

stelari said:

Seconding the opinion that his skin is great. And the body hair is great, good to have another option there - more hairy guys! Here's a bit of a mix with Jack.

The body hair really catches the light, doesn't it?

Zack was another character with great textures.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I like the character's modeling, he's definately not the usual character here at DAZ, and while the crown of thorns and such really did happen, it still always makes me cringe, in a real way, even though I've seen, in Catholic churches and areas, countless carvings and paintings of Jesus in just such a crucifix.  

I'll buy him, and hope for a Mother Mary, Joseph, and a smattering of others from that area too, even if as just morph shapes with different skin shader presets from existing products.

• midgard229midgard229 Posts: 14
    sid said:

midgard229 said:

He has some nice details

Is that the extra 'make-up' set he comes with in the Pro bundle? They look a lot more 3D than Sophia's.

Oh no, those are the geoshells by MikeD. So they're 3D instead of LIE's