DAZ, Where's My Metadata?! (Answered Though not Solved)

2»

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,364

joanna said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Redoing dozens, in some cases hundreds, of pages and several teems that promo images at oen go would be an impossible task, so they are getting a one-time relaxation of standards. I don't know if there is a plan to at least add metadata over time.

Sorry, but if this was planned better or staggered, there wouldn't be a need for lowering the standards. "We're in a rush, so our customers will suffer" is not a good look either. This "welcome" promo will end eventually, but the messy pages without proper listings and missing information will stay, resulting in extra returns ("I didn't know there were required items" etc.) in the future and extra work for support that, if I understand, is already getting a lot of tickets.

The PAs wished to move their content across, releasing it in stages would have meant they were enjoying no sales at all for a potentially extended period.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 320

Elliandra said:

If anyone hasn't picked up the MF Content Bookmarks from ManFriday it is super easy to use and let's you go right to whatever folder(s) you are forever using! I started using it shortly after it came out and now I can't go into studio without it as metadata and I are in a perpetual hate/hate relationship cheeky

I made a quick picture reference tutorial for anyone who has MF's Bookmarks and wants to turn them into a Toolbar for easier access!

I agree that MF Content Bookmarks is a great and useful tool.

However I have had some crashes while in DAZ 4.22 recently and have lost all my bookmarks.

Does anyone know how to save these like you do a Workspace Layout?  I have saved my Workspace layout but it did not save the bookmarks and now I have to reconstruct them in the script.

Thanks.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,094

Richard Haseltine said:

The PAs wished to move their content across, releasing it in stages would have meant they were enjoying no sales at all for a potentially extended period.

So, instead, they will enjoy... a few bucks on the release and no sales at all in the long run, because customers are annoyed by lack of metadata, linked required products, or even something as simple as proper product descriptions? It's probably just me, but if I was making an entrance with my products somewhere, I'd rather put in the time to make it perfect and appealing to the customers.

No matter how you slice it or dice it, from my perspective the whole mass-migration was poorly done, hurt Daz's credibility as the store with the best standards, and ultimately, discouraged me to buy any "new" stuff from the PAs crossing over, and that bad impression will likely linger, especially when the whole thing argued as "it had to be done this way and it's actually unlikely that we'll attempt to fix it over time, sorry-not-sorry, deal with it."

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,746

I thought I'd missed the whole mass migration issue, then I remembered getting an email from DAZ with the word "Welcome." I got annoyed, and unsubscribed from DAZ Emais again.

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 483

@leo04

C:Users/UserName/AppData/Roaming/DAZ3D/Studio4/toolbars.dsx
    For the Bookmarks from MF's program they use an alphanumeric coding system it looks like this:

<ToolBar Class="DzToolBar" Name="Bookmarks" Label="Bookmarks">
       <CustomAction Name="2716e1eb-5def-40d2-b89e-f9062bbaad2a"/>
       <CustomAction Name="602ede3d-1c16-4f29-8e34-30b472ac185a"/>
       <CustomAction Name="c529bc1c-0f99-446b-9d0a-73b61f860fa2"/>
       <CustomAction Name="cd567a77-1d73-457d-9d1c-d8a54a1905ae"/>
       <CustomAction Name="6358e1d3-f440-42c1-9f04-9a3f9301b874"/>
       <CustomAction Name="4e8a3403-7b66-4821-a466-e151b7945ac9"/>
      </ToolBar>

This is using my tutorial naming etc. from my previous post where I named the toolbar for the custom bookmarks as "Bookmarks"
    Bookmark to Toolbar

• ElorElor Posts: 740

memcneil70 said:

The best metadata tutorial I found that managed to get through to my brain was by SloshWerks, https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FQQ9uLhMSKQ. It is older and if you search on the web for 'how to install metadata in DAZ3d' you can come up with a variety of other offerings, some newer that I haven't looked at. They might be more relevant for you now.

I just watched it, and that video is exactly what I needed to understand how to do it smiley

For now, I'll likely only change metadata to get all foot poses to appear in the Default/Poses/By Function/Fits category when I have a figure selected (some are either not linked to  the category or doesn't have the base figure among their compatibilities or both of course) because it's, right now, one of the most useful feature of Smart Content when I'm looking for a base pose for a figure, a base pose that's very likely to mess their feet poses and make a mess of their shoes.

So, again, thank you very much for sharing it yes

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,783

Elor said:

memcneil70 said:

The best metadata tutorial I found that managed to get through to my brain was by SloshWerks, https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FQQ9uLhMSKQ. It is older and if you search on the web for 'how to install metadata in DAZ3d' you can come up with a variety of other offerings, some newer that I haven't looked at. They might be more relevant for you now.

I just watched it, and that video is exactly what I needed to understand how to do it smiley

For now, I'll likely only change metadata to get all foot poses to appear in the Default/Poses/By Function/Fits category when I have a figure selected (some are either not linked to  the category or doesn't have the base figure among their compatibilities or both of course) because it's, right now, one of the most useful feature of Smart Content when I'm looking for a base pose for a figure, a base pose that's very likely to mess their feet poses and make a mess of their shoes.

So, again, thank you very much for sharing it yes

@Elor, you are most welcome. SloshWerks not only had some of the best products, but he provided this great tutorial for free and saved my crazy, over-organized brain. I hope others will review it and pass it on as well.

Mary

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,275

You can add more than one category to an asset (or is it adding assets to categories?), and you can create custom categories to group things any way you want, say, by vendor, or by theme (with sub-categories, and sub-sub-categories, and so on). You can do whole products, or individual assets, or both. It depends how much time you want to spend doing it vs. the potential time you will save hunting for the right piece, or just for your overall peace of mind.

• jakobrhjakobrh Posts: 101

Not so long ago I had to reinstall all my assets. That's when I decided to correct all the misspellings, remove artist names and abbreviations from folders, correting all the 'lost and found' issues I can.
    All this requires that two text-files in the downloaded zip-files are edited

Lots of work done. Still lots of work to do.
    Next I'll update all my assets from other stores with metadata and make them installable wit DIM

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,364

NorthOf45 said:

You can add more than one category to an asset (or is it adding assets to categories?), and you can create custom categories to group things any way you want, say, by vendor, or by theme (with sub-categories, and sub-sub-categories, and so on). You can do whole products, or individual assets, or both. It depends how much time you want to spend doing it vs. the potential time you will save hunting for the right piece, or just for your overall peace of mind.

You can also use tags, PAs already have tags for their stoer name applied to their products in most cases.