The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

I want to go back to bed but I'm afraid I will sleep in.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited August 26

I flew several times during the '60s & '70s when flying was becoming affordable, and comfortable, and fast.  Mostly Boeing 727's back & forth from Melbourne, Florida to Buffalo, NY.  during college.  Loved flying, airports were smaller, and more walkable, no security checks.  Airlines served delicious, hot meals with smiling friendly service, glass, ceramic and metal tableware.  The seats were plush and you had adequate leg room, even in the Economy section.  Flights were often uncrowded.  Good experiences.smiley  But today, only an emergency would get me to fly somewhere.  I hate the modern airport experience.angry  Rude people at the check-in counters, rude people on the plane, rude people jostling at the baggage pickup.  Airplanes have turned into high altitude buses.frown  The only flight I have considered in the future is an emergency trip to Florida for a funeral sometime in the next few years.  But I would much rather rent a car for 10 days to take a leisurely 3-day drive, spend 3 days in Florida, and a 3-day drive home.  A maxi-adventure!yes  Haven't been back to Florida since 2013 (yeah, t'was another funeral). Hmmm,... it seems that Florida is the state where east coast US people go to die, kinda like an elephant burial ground.surprise

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited August 26

Sfariah D said:

That's what beds are for.., to sleep in.enlightened I would think much more comfortable than sleeping under.indecision

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

That's what beds are for.., to sleep in.enlightened I would think much more comfortable than sleeping under.indecision

there are boxes under the bed which would make it more uncomfortable.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722

I am more likely to sleep under a bed than on top of one. But I wouldn't do that in a children's room because I don't want them thinking there's a monster under their bed. Then when the parent tells them there's no monster, they hear my voice coming from under the bed saying "listen to your parents".

edited August 26

A ponderable:  I've noticed that in at least three European languages, the word for the 4th number has two syllables, where as the first three have only one syllable.  i.e. French, Spanish, Russian.  Hmmm... why does 4 need an extra syllable?  How about Portugese, Italian?  E.g. in Spanish it's Uno, Dos, Tres, Qua-tro, Cin-co, ...  And in Russian, it's Adeen, Dva, Tree, Che-ti-ra, Pyat, Shest, Shem, Vo-shem...)  (excuse my Englification of their alphabet)blush

Whereas in English and German the first six are all one syllable   e.g. One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Sev-en, ...  or in German, Eine, Swie, Dri, Feir, Fumf, Sex, Seb-en  (excuse my German spelling, it's been 56 yearsfrown)

Any other examples?  Any logic behind this?indecision

Thought of another one (not European) where it goes multi-syllable after 5.  Japanese:  Ichi, Ni, San, Chi, Go, Ro-ku, Shi-chi  (unless the first one is "I-chi")

Not important, just curious.  Ponderable.smiley

edited August 26

Es ist fünf Dollar.  Nein, ich habe keine Katze. Es ist Montag.

Ich habe kein Geld. Ich habe Hunger.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,866
    edited August 27

Danish (quite minimalistic): en, to, tre, fi-re, fem, seks, syv, ot-te, ni, ti

Finnish is the opposite: yk-si, kak-si, kol-me, nel-jä, vii-si, kuu-si, seit-se-män, kah-dek-san, yh-dek-sän, kym-me-nen

I've always wondered about the origin of Finnish, it's very different from the other Scandinavian languages which all are very much alike (especially Danish and Norwegian), which is why it seems strange that Finland is considered being part of Scandinavia, but that's probably for geographical reasons.  Just checked google, opinions seems to vary: 

"Several theories exist as to the geographic origin of Finnish and the other Uralic languages. The most widely held view is that they originated as a Proto-Uralic language somewhere in the boreal forest belt around the Ural Mountains region and/or the bend of the middle Volga."

"The Finnish grammar and most Finnish words are very different from those in other European languages, because Finnish is not an Indo-European language. ... Even though Finnish and Hungarian are related languages, they do not look or sound similar. Nor does it loan words to English or any other languages."

Post edited by Taoz on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,167

Happy Birthday, TJohn!

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Taoz said:

Finnish is the opposite: yk-si, kak-si, kol-me, nel-jä, vii-si, kuu-si, seit-se-män, kah-dek-san, yh-dek-sän, kym-me-nen

I've always wondered about the origin of Finnish, it's very different from the other Scandinavian languages which all are very much alike (especially Danish and Norwegian), which I why it seems strange that Finland is considered being part of Scandinavia, but that's probably for geographical reasons.  Just checked google, opinions seems to vary: 

"Several theories exist as to the geographic origin of Finnish and the other Uralic languages. The most widely held view is that they originated as a Proto-Uralic language somewhere in the boreal forest belt around the Ural Mountains region and/or the bend of the middle Volga."

"The Finnish grammar and most Finnish words are very different from those in other European languages, because Finnish is not an Indo-European language. ... Even though Finnish and Hungarian are related languages, they do not look or sound similar. Nor does it loan words to English or any other languages."

Finland being considered part of Scandinavia, probably comes from being part of Sweden for so long (about half a millenium, up to 1809) 

As for where we came from... I think our ancestors were either the ones that got fed up with the population explosion and headed up north, not to see one living person anywhere, or they could be remnants of Atlantis refugees.
    Anyways, strangers are always suspicious and grunting says everything that needs to be said.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,867

Taoz said:

I've always wondered about the origin of Finnish, it's very different from the other Scandinavian languages which all are very much alike (especially Danish and Norwegian), which I why it seems strange that Finland is considered being part of Scandinavia, but that's probably for geographical reasons.  Just checked google, opinions seems to vary: 

You should have checked Google for Scandinavia, because Finland is not, in fact, part of it.

Since we're counting in different languages, here's something that initially puzzled me as I learned Korean and then Chinese:

Japanese: ichi, ni, san, shi, go, roku, shichi, hachi, ku, ju
    Korean: il, yi, sam, sa, o, yuk, ch'il, p'al, gu, ship

Pretty easy to see similarities between the two. It gets complicated when you introduce Chinese, from which both of these number systems derive:

yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, ba, jiu, shi

There are still some clear similarities, but also some marked differences, especially yi being one in Chinese, but two in Korean. That still trips me up from time to time. If I need to say "two" in either language, I have to really think about which language I'm speaking.

What clarified things for me, not just about numbers but a lot of the words the three languages have in common, was an understanding of the history of the language. While I said simply "Chinese" earlier, I was referring to "Mandarin", the official and largest language in China, but the Chinese-derived words in Korean and Japanese were derived from Middle Chinese, from which "Mandarin" has diverged considerably more than Cantonese:

Cantonese: iat, yi, sam, sei, ng, lok, sit, bat, gau, sap

We can clearly see that the final T in Cantonese/Middle Chinese words correlates to a final L in Korean and "chi" in Japanese, Korean and Japanese both retain the K sound for six, and Korean retains the final P in ten; Mandarin has no such final consonant sounds.

As a final note, in practice, all the numbers 1-10 are one syllable in Japanese. Japanese vowels are a lot softer than English vowels, and when spoken, you often won't hear, for example, the final i in ichi, so it will sound more like "each". 

DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday, TJohn!

Waves at TJohn.yes 

DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday, TJohn!

Happy birthday 

edited August 27

PerttiA said:

Taoz said:

Finland being considered part of Scandinavia, probably comes from being part of Sweden for so long (about half a millenium, up to 1809) 

OK, wasn't aware of that.  Denmark, despite being separated geographically from the Scandinavian peninsula, also included parts of Sweden at some point, which probably is one of the reasons (language and culture being other reasons I guess) why it's considered part of Scandinavia. 

As for where we came from... I think our ancestors were either the ones that got fed up with the population explosion and headed up north, not to see one living person anywhere, or they could be remnants of Atlantis refugees.

Any particular reason for why you think they might origin from Atlantis?

Anyways, strangers are always suspicious and grunting says everything that needs to be said.

smiley

Post edited by Taoz on

Gordig said:

Taoz said:

You should have checked Google for Scandinavia, because Finland is not, in fact, part of it.

Well I just did, but there seem to be varying opinions about that.  E.g. Wikipedia:

"Scandinavia most commonly refers to DenmarkNorway, and Sweden. It can sometimes also refer to the Scandinavian Peninsula (which excludes Denmark but includes a part of northern Finland). In English usage, Scandinavia is sometimes used as a synonym for Nordic countries.[6] Iceland and the Faroe Islands are sometimes included in Scandinavia for their ethnolinguistic relations with Sweden, Norway and Denmark. While Finland differs from other Nordic countries in this respect, some authors call it Scandinavian due to its economic and cultural similarities.[4][5]."

We now know what the fourth dimension is. It's Scandanavia. So that klein bottle will need height, length, width, and Scandanavia. This is another typical day in the We Can't Agree What Scandanavia Is Complaint Thread.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

71 is a large number.

TJohn said:

71 is a large number.

When I turned 32, I discovered you can just flip the numbers on the birthday cake.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited August 28

DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday, TJohn!

...already? Didn't you have one just the other month?

Crikey the years go by faster the older you get.. 

...anyway...Happy Brthday.TJohn.  

TJohn said:

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

71 is a large number.

...and it's a prime number as well. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 28

LeatherGryphon said:

I flew several times during the '60s & '70s when flying was becoming affordable, and comfortable, and fast.  Mostly Boeing 727's back & forth from Melbourne, Florida to Buffalo, NY.  during college.  Loved flying, airports were smaller, and more walkable, no security checks.  Airlines served delicious, hot meals with smiling friendly service, glass, ceramic and metal tableware.  The seats were plush and you had adequate leg room, even in the Economy section.  Flights were often uncrowded.  Good experiences.smiley  But today, only an emergency would get me to fly somewhere.  I hate the modern airport experience.angry  Rude people at the check-in counters, rude people on the plane, rude people jostling at the baggage pickup.  Airplanes have turned into high altitude buses.frown  The only flight I have considered in the future is an emergency trip to Florida for a funeral sometime in the next few years.  But I would much rather rent a car for 10 days to take a leisurely 3-day drive, spend 3 days in Florida, and a 3-day drive home.  A maxi-adventure!yes  Haven't been back to Florida since 2013 (yeah, t'was another funeral). Hmmm,... it seems that Florida is the state where east coast US people go to die, kinda like an elephant burial ground.surprise

...yeah air travel was great in those days, and if you were a savvy traveller you could find discounts ( I often travelled "space available  [standby] which was half off the regular coach fare). One other nice feature there were more direct flights that may have made a stop or two but didn't involve changing planes in some out of the way hub. It was a different world back then, lots more legroom as you mention comfortable seats, nice meals served on real dishes with real glassware and flatware. and best of all, none of those pesky extra fees. for baggage or changing your itinerary. Deregulation sounded great on paper but turned out to be a bust  in reality. 

So many airlines gone today Braniff, Continental Eastern, Northwest, Pan American, and TWA (the last two I thought would be around forever) to name a few, All were victims of bankruptcy and/or mergers.

I flew on many types pf aeroplanes including 727s, 707s, 720s, DC-8s .DC-9s as well as DC-10s and 747s.  Even flew on a few of the old propliners like Convair Metros, and Lockheed Electras.

My first flight experience ever was at an airshow in Milwaukee back in the 60s on none other than a Ford Trimotor that has a pretty colourful history. It began its career with Eastern Air Transport (precursor to Eastern Airlines) in 1929.  It is currently is owned and operated by the Experimental Aircraft Association in Oshkosh WI which bought and restored it  (painting ot in it's original Eastern livery) after being severely damaged in 1973.when it was flipped over in a thunderstorm while parked on the ground.. 

It is still regularly flown today but the cost of a ride is just a bit more than the 5$ I paid back in 1967.  

Below is what it looked like when I flew on it. and how it looks today. 

Not bad for being only 5 years shy of a century old.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 714

Sfariah D said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

there are boxes under the bed which would make it more uncomfortable.

My boxspring is directly on the floor... I'd be crushed by my bed-bouncing youngest child if I tried to sleep under it. On the bright side: no having to get under there to clean. On the less bright side: no storage.

My sky-is-falling complaint: I wish the weather would take a clue from the turning leaves and settle into something that isn't trying to broil people alive.  I know this is normal for this time of year in this region. I don't care. I woke up and could barely see out my window because it was solid condensation from the humidity. So over it.

edited August 28

...going to be 98° here in Portland on Saturday.  

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,487

It's going to peak at 27 degrees here today. I'm going to melt when I leave this airconditioned room.

(27C = HOT = 81F)

Regards,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

It's going to peak at 27 degrees here today. I'm going to melt when I leave this airconditioned room.

(27C = HOT = 81F)

Regards,

Richard

A few more degrees and it would be hot enough to melt Gallium metal. (85.5F/29.7C) That's why I keep my chunk of gallium in a bottle, not sitting on the shelf with my other metal samples.  I've often thought of the amusement/chaos that a large amount of gallium could provide.laughdevil (And no, I don't have any Mercury, but I wish I did.  Nobody makes old style thermostats with mercury switches anymore.sad )

Finally able to sit outside while eating breakfast.  Nobody is chewing up my feet.  The neighbors stopped barking for a while.  The birds are chirping.

the traffic from the nearby busy street is audible.  Other than that a good morning to eat breakfast outside.

a complaint is that the coffee is left inside.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,010

Taoz said:

PerttiA said:

The language, our genetics and disposition is so different from others around us, so it's like whoever came up here, didn't belong to any 'normal' group of people and then there is the location they selected... Next to a sea that has no dangerous animals, no tide and the land has the thickest crust in the world (apart from the Himalayas and Andes)

I don't like this morning's coffee.  It is a tad too strong.

PerttiA said:

Taoz said:

The language, our genetics and disposition is so different from others around us, so it's like whoever came up here, didn't belong to any 'normal' group of people and then there is the location they selected... Next to a sea that has no dangerous animals, no tide and the land has the thickest crust in the world (apart from the Himalayas and Andes)

I have heard from Ronald Isley that he actually saw these people when he was in Atlantis. 

I haven't been to Atlantis but I have been to a place called Atlanta.

edited August 28

Sanskrit.  The rumor is that it all came from Sanskrit.  Now, whether Sanskrit came from Atlantis or not, is yet another rumor.  Finnish, not withstanding.