The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,865

PerttiA said:

Taoz said:

PerttiA said:

As for where we came from... I think our ancestors were either the ones that got fed up with the population explosion and headed up north, not to see one living person anywhere, or they could be remnants of Atlantis refugees.

Any particular reason for why you think they might origin from Atlantis?

The language, our genetics and disposition is so different from others around us, so it's like whoever came up here, didn't belong to any 'normal' group of people and then there is the location they selected... Next to a sea that has no dangerous animals, no tide and the land has the thickest crust in the world (apart from the Himalayas and Andes)

Interesting. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,769

LeatherGryphon said:

Sanskrit.  The rumor is that it all came from Sanskrit.  Now, whether Sanskrit came from Atlantis or not, is yet another rumor.  Finnish, not withstanding.

Sanskrit, like all Indo-European languages, comes from Proto-Indo-European (aka PIE). Finnish is part of the Finno-Ugrian language family which is quite separate from Indo-European, along with Estonian, Sámi, Mordvin, and in separate branches Hungarian and some other so-called Uralic languages. 

I don't know if Atlantis is involved anywhere in the process - if the Thera location is actually true, they probably spoke an Indo-European or maybe a Semitic one. But if it involves PIE I'm in.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

I want a nice bubble bath when I get home today!  At least sometime today!

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited August 28

I never let my bubbles get dirty, so no need to give them a bath.indecision

And regarding Atlantis.  It's at the root of everything, even the pyramids on Mars, and the melted cities on Venus.  Some suspect that Atlantis even created the Big Bang, but it got loose, causing their destruction, before it flew back to the beginning of time.devil

Excuse me, I have to go.  I think I've got a bunch of red electrons, trying to get through some blue wires and jamming up my 'puters.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

It smells funny in here...no wait, that's me. blush

TJohn said:

I thought it was me? Or am I just worrying too much? 

TJohn said:

Found the cause of the stink!  A dirty litter box in the thread.

on serious note: I'm trying to open a new bank account.  Problem is that the bank I choose closes every weekday at 5 pm.  Got to go Saturday morning with my check.  Hopefully I will have time before my 11 am shift Saturday.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908

Sfariah D said:

I want a nice bubble bath when I get home today!  At least sometime today!

I miss baths. I use to take them when my back hurt really bad but my back is so bad now I can barely bend so can't get down to get in and be able to get back up.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Well, if you take a bath, don't take one of mine. 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908

I'd love to get one of those walk-in bathtubs that have a seat in it.

• Calliope23Calliope23 Posts: 530

frank0314 said:

Me too. I take showers, because the last time I tried to soak in a nice, hot bath, I had trouble getting both in and out of the tub due to painful joints. It negated the soothing effect of the water.

I thought someone on Facebook that they like bologna sandwiches with cool whip.  Read it again and realized it says miracle whip.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

frank0314 said:

...yeah, that would be nicem warm soaks are great for creaky joints and bones of which I have many.   Saw one that even had a whirlpool system built in.  

Non-complaint: I went through my wishlist and removed items I was no longer interested in. My wishlist is much shorter and more well-organized.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,865

NylonGirl said:

TJohn said:

71 is a large number.

When I turned 32, I discovered you can just flip the numbers on the birthday cake.

But then when you got 33, you discovered it didn't work.

• DaugueffxiDaugueffxi Posts: 32

Idk if this is a place to actually complain or not having read this thread. Anyway, i'd apreciate it if those making products would not hide shader setting. I know you all know best on what looks good to you but maybe I have other uses for your product that involve changing some of your perfect settings. Yea I can view hidden stuff, but then I have to look through all the irrelavant things that are hidden by default, just dont do it please. Also since I'm here, if you are gonna crank metalicity to 100% and apply a solid black weight map, how about you just set it to 0 and not add another thing I have to load.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,722
    This is just another day in the Hidden Shaders / Flipping the Birthday Numbers Doesn't Work / Bathtubs Cost $10,000 Complaint Thread.
  • KinichKinich Posts: 867

Flipping birthday numbers, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, 22 & 55 make no change, 25 makes you 52 and inversely 52 makes you 25 and 88 makes no difference at all, neither does it make a difference if you flip a 69.

But, if you half flip an 8 you get ∞, infinity! Threfore Infinity=8 +/-90°, which means the current concept of infinity is wrong, we've been looking at it the wrong way (ie lying down) and I should be receiving my Nobel Prize for Science very shortly!

edited August 30

..crikey if I flipped the numbers of my age I couldn't vote, have a bank account, or go to the pub for a beer (and all my clothes would be too big)..

(though I could pay less to get into the cinema and on the bus). 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,769

In another five years I may be interested in flipping the numbers of my age. Right now, no thanks; I'll get to that number anyway (barring accidents or illness of course).

On the other hand, would I even want to be a teenager again? 

I measure birthdays by the number of boxes of candles I need for the cake.frown

edited August 31

Non-complaint:  Yesterday was a slightly larger mini-adventure. (Wheee...?)  8:00 morning bus to my eye doctor for an 8:30 appointment for a checkup to prepare for laser surgery to clean my foggy cataract lenses next month.  Then out-of-character, I decided to take an Uber the remaining two miles to the far side of town to the mall.  But I was two hours early (J. C. Penney's department store opens at 11:00) so I had breakfast at Wendy's.  Mmmm,  they have a wonderful Egg McMuffin type of breakfast sandwich.yes  The mall is across the street so after breakfast I wandered the empty mall until I found one of those coin-operated vibrating chairs outside of the still closed doors of the JCPenney department store, and sat down to rest after the loooong trek across the mall parking lot and mall browsing.  I'd never used one of those vibrating & massage chairs so I gasped at the $5 per 15 minutes price but went for the whole adventure anyway.  Hey, it's a cheaper thrill than DisneyWorld, and  I have to admit, it did feel good once I got used to it.smiley  I was at Penney's to get new jeans and a new pair of dress pants.  Ack!  pants are expensive!  $80 for a pair of Levi jeans???  I couldn't afford both jeans and dress pants, so I just got the dress pants.  Yay, dress pants that are not four inches too big in the waist.yes   Breakfast at Wendy's was at 9:00, but now after Penney's it was near noon.  So, I stopped at the Sakura Buffet for fried rice, egg roll, orange chicken, etc...Then I took an Uber from the farside of town, back to the middle of town to my usual BigLots area for some snack browsing, and a CVS drugstore and the bank.  More walking, walking, walking.  And finally an Uber to home.  And since I was now in the lunch rush hour, the Uber was nearly twice as expensive.crying  I had a successful, but extremely tiring day.  And I spent a whole month's Uber budget in 4 hours.frown  If when at the mall I'd had the energy to wait another three hours, I could have taken a bus back, but I knew I was fading fast, and waiting 3 hours usually involves more shopping and sitting down in a restaurant and spending.  So, it would probably have cost as much in the end, anyway.indecision  Last night at home I was so knackered, I hobbled like a 90 year old man.  This morning though, I'm all energized again.  For at least an hour.frown

'Nother non-complaint:  Yay, I've finally got my appointments for cataract lens cleaning.  Getting my windows lasered clean!yes  Eight months ago the doctor told me it had to be done, but the price was scaring me.  So, I've been saving my pennies.  It's time now.  It's getting to the point that my cloudy lenses are becoming very bothersome and frustrating.  Now, I just have to arrange for transportation 30 miles south, down into Pennsylvania to the fancy lasering machine, at the end of next month, twice.indecision

Complaint:  But one week after the two cleaning sessions are done, I have a long established appointment with my eye surgeon who did my retina reattachment.  It's just a checkup on the surgery from last year, but unfortunately, he's in Buffalo (60 miles north) and I have to arrange for a trip there too.  Sigh, it never ends.indecision  Apparently my savings account is just a slow motion checking account.frown

I'm hungry!  Chick-fil-A or Cinnabon?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,633

Sfariah D said:

I'm hungry!  Chick-fil-A or Cinnabon?

Maybe Cinnabon now and Chick-fil-A for lunch ? 

...well just about through with the curent heatwave.  Actually set a new record for today at 98°.

However, like those late night commercials on cable go:  "but wait, there's more!"

Came out here for the mild summers and winters.

At least no major "smoke ourt" from wildfires like in past years. 

• Blando CalrissianBlando Calrissian Posts: 507
    edited September 1

Complaint: I broke my laptop's trackpad tonight. Dropped my not-big-or-heavy-at-all mobile phone and it landed right on the trackpad at what must have been the ideal angle and location, because the latter shattered like a display screen. Sigh.

Non-complaint: Looks like only 18-19 days at 90 degrees or above this month, a little closer to normal and less than feared. That still puts us above average at 54-55 for the year, with September to go. I miss the old days...

Post edited by Blando Calrissian on

Semi-Complaint: Thank goodness for my air purifier, because my neighbors smoke weed and cigarettes like crazy!

Complaint: Second night of no sleep. Insomnia is annoying and bad for one's health.

edited September 1

@ Blando Calrissian .....ouch!   

Depending on how many USB ports it has you could always use a wireless mouse for the time being.until you can get the touch pad replaced. 

(edited for multiple typos)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 714
    edited September 1

Semi-complaint:

My youngest kiddo has fallen asleep very sweetly on top of me. Finally. At 1AM.

This is a supremely inconvenient time to need to pee.

Post edited by SilverGirl on
    edited September 1

Calliope23 said:

Semi-Complaint: Thank goodness for my air purifier, because my neighbors smoke weed and cigarettes like crazy!

[...snip...].

Well, I semi-agree.  I was a one-pack/day smoker, on-and-off, for 30 years, but completely quit in 2005.  Now, like you, my neighbors, in the other half of the house, smoke weed and cigarettes.  I don't mind the smell of weed(sweetly aromatic), and indulge in it myself also, but the cigarette smoke makes me sick to my stomach and makes it hard to breathe.  We had an agreement,  I don't complain to the landlord about their forbidden dogs, and they don't smoke cigarettes in the house.yes

Complaint:  My neighbors have been forced out by the landlord.  I don't know exactly why, but they're out, today.  The new tenant is a repeat.  He was here with one woman and a couple of noisy kids about 5 years ago, and now he's coming back with a different woman and more kids.frown  He's related (step-nephew or something) to the landlord who is now medically unable to take care of the house, so the returning tenant has those duties.  I was relieved when he left the first time, and I'm not thrilled that he's back, but life goes on.  And of course he's a heavy smoker.sad  How can non-rich people afford to be heavy smokers these days?surprise