The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

1232425262729»

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,867

SilverGirl said:

I spent two hours doing a render and saved it.

I then spent six minutes doing a sample render of something else and also saved it... with the same file name I'd just used for the 2-hour render.

/facepalm

Second Copy can monitor files and back them up as soon as they change, up to 25 versions.

https://www.secondcopy.com/

• LeatherGryphon said:

SilverGirl said:

richardandtracy said:

I still think 'Marvin' in 'The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' is the only character who really understood life.

Truer words.... although I also feel the bowl of petunias had a solid philosophy.

But the whale was a bit befuddled for a moment. 

Although at least its last thought was hopeful, if misguided. 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,169

Taoz said:

SilverGirl said:

I then spent six minutes doing a sample render of something else and also saved it... with the same file name I'd just used for the 2-hour render.

/facepalm

Second Copy can monitor files and back them up as soon as they change, up to 25 versions.

I find that programs that constantly monitor the system like that, slow down your computer...sometimes by a lot. 

• DanaTA said:

Taoz said:

SilverGirl said:

/facepalm

I find that programs that constantly monitor the system like that, slow down your computer...sometimes by a lot. 

Yeah, I haven't tried any such things since I got this machine, but in the past it's not worked out well for me. Super appreciate the suggestion, and hopefully it can help someone else... I think my best bet is just taking it as an annoying lesson learned when it thankfully wasn't anything critical and being more cafeful in the future.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,439
    edited September 18

Back in the '70s I worked on some major brand of, what were called at the time, "Mini-computers" that had a feature that everytime you saved a file with the same name, it appended a number to the name(i.e. a primitive archival mechanism).  It was a workable idea, except for the fact that back in the '70s, a file system's capacity was measured in the high Kbytes or low Mbytes.  If you weren't careful, then before you knew it, your multiple recompilations and production of intermediate files quickly ate up the disk space.frown  So then, you'd have to go inspect the file directory and delete the excessive number of earlier versions.  Even at the time, I'd thought that it was a half-baked idea, but it did come in handy to prevent accidentally overwriting files.indecision

Complaint:  Today was local grocery day.  I'd been putting it off for a while because I didn't have the energy.  But lack of bananas was causing me to start having leg cramps again, especially at night in bed, when I can't get on my feet quick enough to stifle it.  So, I had to go to the local grocery for bananas (for the potassium) and a few other perishable things.   I made it there and back, but it was a chore.  I don't know where, but in the last few months, my get-up-and-go, got-up-and-went.sad

Non-complaint:  Before I started toward the grocery, I decided that since there was nobody in the other half of the house now, and that there was still an overly full, big, wheeled, garbage bin behind the house that needed to be taken to the curb today for tomorrow morning's pickup, I was going to have to be the one to do it.  Oof, it was heavy but I managed to wrangle it away from the fence, and across the backyard, up the slope to the driveway, and halfway down the rock strewn driveway before I had to stop and catch my breath.sad  But right then, the new neighbor started driving up the driveway.  I knew him from his previous tenancy, we greeted, and talked for a moment and he said he'd take care of the garbage from now on.  So, YAY! yes  And then off to the grocery I went, already tuckered out. which probably contributed to my "Complaint" above.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,100

I found out that Walmart sells frozen bananas, that, well, are frozen.  That is good for smoothies for the new blender I got.

Oh, I was looking at my coffee grinder. Apparently I forgot one of the most important rules regarding coffee grinders.  That is the one about don't touch the metal blade with my bare fingers.  Well, I did that and also moved the blade until I saw this mysterious red liquid on my finger.  Oops my bad.

DanaTA said:

Taoz said:

SilverGirl said:

/facepalm

That depends on how many files you monitor, and at which interval you check their status.  With this program you can select only the files you want to monitor, as well as at which interval they should be checked.  And you'll have to monitor a good number of files (like maybe hundreds) and check each file's status at a very short interval (like every 1 second), before it starts using any significant amount of resources.  

Taoz said:

DanaTA said:

Taoz said:

SilverGirl said:

/facepalm

That depends on how many files you monitor, and at which interval you check their status.  With this program you can select only the files you want to monitor, as well as at which interval they should be checked.  And you'll have to monitor a good number of files (like maybe hundreds) and check each file's status at a very short interval (like every 1 second), before it starts using any significant amount of resources.  

I think the problem program was DropBox...I asked my tech guy about a slow down, and he told me to check if something like DropBox was monitoring my drive, and sure enough...it was that!  when I turned off that feature, system sped up a lot! 

Taoz said:

DanaTA said:

Taoz said:

SilverGirl said:

/facepalm

I think the problem program was DropBox...I asked my tech guy about a slow down, and he told me to check if something like DropBox was monitoring my drive, and sure enough...it was that!  when I turned off that feature, system sped up a lot! 

DanaTA said:

Taoz said:

DanaTA said:

Taoz said:

SilverGirl said:

/facepalm

Well Dropbox is known for using a lot of resources, it's also doing other things than just monitoring files.