Wagner 9

CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
edited June 27 in The Commons

https://www.daz3d.com/wagner-9

We probably know you.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,554

I guess DAZ isn't even trying any more to disguise what their products are inspired by, but Wagner looks awesome. That's the kind of likeness I'd expect to see on Artstation.

• Just be careful if you buy the pro bundle as it doesn't contain the option to buy licenses. As some of the items contain editorial items.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,830

Odd choice to make a Nightcrawler-themed bundle around a figure that is clearly Tom Hiddleston.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
    Gordig said:

Odd choice to make a Nightcrawler-themed bundle around a figure that is clearly Tom Hiddleston.

Mixed with a bit of Jake Gyllenhaal
  • Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 427

Gordig said:

Maybe they know something we -- and Marvel -- don't? (Or they just think he and Alan Cumming look interchangeable?)

I note that the Dark Elf addon does actually contain the female chest map (I had to check, to make sure the male one was actually there...). The Lianna Undead Elf set still has yet to be updated to include the advertised male one.

• PancakePancake Posts: 57
    I really like this, but cannot buy the pro bundle due to the editorial license infection and there just isn't enough value to justify piecing it out for interactive licenses on all the individual parts. I hope this doesnt become a trend.
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,180

I like the natural "avarage guy" shape. This may very well become my go-to base figure for G9 males. For the rest, the bundle doesn't appeal to me, but the figure is great.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171
    Pancake said:
    I really like this, but cannot buy the pro bundle due to the editorial license infection and there just isn't enough value to justify piecing it out for interactive licenses on all the individual parts. I hope this doesnt become a trend.

I like you use the word "infection". Very accurate description.

Out of the entire bundle I only want

https://www.daz3d.com/nightkin-mutations-for-genesis-9

The rest... we have seen similar stuff a lot of times before. And I am tired of the somewhat overuse of the "elf" theme. Elf and demon are not the same.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,664

I really like the character himself, he gives such sympathetic vibes and has really beautiful eyes which is rare in male characters. I also got myself the two hairstyles right away, can always use more male styles. As for the rest ... I guess I agree with the opinion voiced above, we've really had a ton of elves and demons by now, and it's kind of confusing how both now seem to blend into essentially the same thing for DAZ. It also feels cash grabby to split the demon shape into two. And why are they all blue? Dark Elf, yes, if you must, but why the demon? So, not very impressed with the bundles. Oh, I like the armor, but that's fjaad of course, I always love their stuff.

Again, the character himself is really nice in my eyes, although I will probably dial out a little of the Loki / Night manager look because it really is very obvious. But cute, nevertheless!

• sidsid Posts: 432

Happy to finally get my hands on this hair, even if it's HS.

Picked up just the character, HD and the one hair. Like others, can't risk the editorial items in my library.

The character's likeness I can dial out, but good texture and the sculpt seems to deform/pose better than average. Will post some pics later (hopefully not deleted for nudity like last character thread!)

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,113
    edited June 27
    The bundle would have been a sure buy if not for the inclusion of editorial-limited content. Bundles with optional editorial add-ons were tolerable, but if this signals the start of a new trend of forcing these items into the bundles themselves, then I suppose I'll be skipping bundles from here out.

The non-editorial version of the outfit could have been the bundle item, and the editorial version an add-on, and the Pro bundle would be in my cart now. (I'd still consider the outfit mostly useless in this case, but at least it wouldn't sabotage 3D-printing and interactive licenses for the bundle, and it could possibly be used for kitbashing.)
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • joannajoanna Posts: 1,259

If I recall correctly, I have not bought a single bundle that contained items with even only add-ons that were editorial (since many addons were just color change in textures). I'm definitely not paying for something that already contains EL (and EL addons on top of that). Not worth the risk.

On the positive note: very nice likeness of a certain actor. I'm sure people doing fan art will love it.

• joanna said:

If I recall correctly, I have not bought a single bundle that contained items with even only add-ons that were editorial (since many addons were just color change in textures). I'm definitely not paying for something that already contains EL (and EL addons on top of that). Not worth the risk.

On the positive note: very nice likeness of a certain actor. I'm sure people doing fan art will love it.

Yeah I didn't buy the pro bundle because of that editorial license. The only reason I bought the basic bundle was for the fact it gave me a nice discount on 2 other pro bundles which with tokens were about $16 dollars each

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

I am not sure if there is anything in this bundle that is not inspired by existing items or looks.
    Even though they don't have Editorial License stamped on them due to some differences it just feels cheap to me.

Kurt Wagner (x-men Harlequin) shapes, outfit and skins, even the poses look straight out of the comics
    Tom Hiddleston look alike (debatable but with the long hair it looks straight out of Loki for me)
    Star Wars Grand Admiral Thrawn outfits, Just missing the rank insignia's and other minor details,
    Drizzt Do'Urden fantasy armor.

Websoul said:

Didnt spot that. It's uncanny too, I'm surprised it can have licenses. Im getting real uncomfortable with Daz rip offs lately... I need models for game development and do not have a full wiki in my head of existing fictional costumes!!!
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,119

More fanart. Ugh! 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,009

Websoul said:

I am not sure if there is anything in this bundle that is not inspired by existing items or looks.
    Even though they don't have Editorial License stamped on them due to some differences it just feels cheap to me.

Kurt Wagner (x-men Harlequin) shapes, outfit and skins, even the poses look straight out of the comics
    Tom Hiddleston look alike (debatable but with the long hair it looks straight out of Loki for me)
    Star Wars Grand Admiral Thrawn outfits, Just missing the rank insignia's and other minor details,

Kurt Wagner is Nightcrawler. Or was, did his code name change at some time?

Thanks for the ID on the science fiction outfit, I thought it looked like a Star Wars one, but haven't kept up with the universe since Disney took it over.

Thankfully my gift card money is low and reserved. I do like the base character. 

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

memcneil70 said:

Websoul said:

Kurt Wagner is Nightcrawler. Or was, did his code name change at some time?

Thanks for the ID on the science fiction outfit, I thought it looked like a Star Wars one, but haven't kept up with the universe since Disney took it over.

Thankfully my gift card money is low and reserved. I do like the base character.

You are right about the name, I grew up with the dutch comics where he was called "Harlekein" and for some reason my brain did the literal translation frown

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,413

I like the not exactly handsome but charming guy. Nice body, and the Greater Demon Shape Add-On looks great! As always, I have picked out the things I want - and will get annoyed later as always when the bundles are available in a really cheap sale (which, however, is becoming increasingly rare).

• sidsid Posts: 432

Really like this guy! He poses so well. Shorty next to Lianna tho.

Serious question, but given the existence of the interactive license....what is the legality around using a celebrity likeness in a game they had no involvement with? Ideally I would avoid it, morally, but just like the rip-off outfits, I dont keep track of every celebrity face on the planet. Some of it will slip through the cracks and I do not want to get a C&D or something.
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 674

Pancake said:

Serious question, but given the existence of the interactive license....what is the legality around using a celebrity likeness in a game they had no involvement with? Ideally I would avoid it, morally, but just like the rip-off outfits, I dont keep track of every celebrity face on the planet. Some of it will slip through the cracks and I do not want to get a C&D or something.

As with most things, I think it would ultimately depend on whether the celebrity in question 1) noticed your game, and 2) thought it was worth lawyering up over. Whatever the legal status, they probably have more money than you and legal stuff is expensive, so you'll wind up on the losing end.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,311
    I like him. Whoever did sculpt really spent time making his chest. Not look like two smooshed breasts, which is appreciated.
    edited June 27

SilverGirl said:

As with most things, I think it would ultimately depend on whether the celebrity in question 1) noticed your game, and 2) thought it was worth lawyering up over. Whatever the legal status, they probably have more money than you and legal stuff is expensive, so you'll wind up on the losing end.

That's the problem for 2 reasons.

1. I'd rather just not have a situation where there's a chance of legal battle at all.

2. If there's any viable case at all then they will fight - there's been many cases that seem petty because the defendant is obligated to legally protect their brand or risk losing it, even if it's just a small group of fans making a fan project. Someone like Tom Hiddleston may be so far out of reach of an indie game developer's social circles, but if you're selling a product with his likeness in it then his lawyer is going to contact you.

Even if I could fly under the radar and get away with having the likeness of Tom Hiddleston in my game, the fantasy armour that comes with today's release is an uncanny likeness to the armour of Drizzt, a distinctive popular character in D&D. The space officer costume is distinctively star wars empire officer uniform. I don't know D&D so didn't notice the costume likeness. I had it in my cart, thinking it just to be a great fantasy outfit.

Based on the number of products that seem to be making it into the store with interactive licenses, which would suggest original content, that are actually minor modifications on distinctive outfits from established fiction, I have to navigate what feels like a legal minefield to avoid accidental copyright infringement.

Post edited by Pancake on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,618

Has anybody been able to get the Pro Bundle below $72 without tokens?

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,311
    CHWT said:
    Gordig said:

Mixed with a bit of Jake Gyllenhaal
    What's funny is Gyllenhaal starred in the movie "Nightcrawler", unrelated to the Marvel comics character.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

When I saw that "extra's" pack and saw Nightcrawler I was like WTF?  Then again maybe DAZ has permission to use the characters likeness?  I mean that is a copyrighted character by Dave Cockrum and Marvel.  If there would have been a normal hand and feet setup I wouldn't have thought much of it, just a coincidence but this is pretty flagrant!  

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,009

Websoul said:

memcneil70 said:

Websoul said:

You are right about the name, I grew up with the dutch comics where he was called "Harlekein" and for some reason my brain did the literal translation frown

I looked up the Drizzt Do'Urden as I was unfamiliar with the name. I found a rabbit hole in the Forgotten Realms Wiki and a rather fascinating character. Made me take another look at the Drow that I had otherwise ignored. But, I have a question for anyone, moderator or not. Can a named character in Dungeons and Dragons have issue with Editorial Licenses, to include their clothing and swords? I did like these items before I had read about them and would like to know for sure.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,003

Drizzt Do'Urden is a character by R.A. Salvatore, first appearance in a 1988 fantasy novel "The Crystal Shard"

His outlook and outfit may be described in the novels, but I think the readers have all created an image of their own as to how he actually looks.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,180

memcneil70 said:

Websoul said:

memcneil70 said:

Websoul said:

I looked up the Drizzt Do'Urden as I was unfamiliar with the name. I found a rabbit hole in the Forgotten Realms Wiki and a rather fascinating character. Made me take another look at the Drow that I had otherwise ignored. But, I have a question for anyone, moderator or not. Can a named character in Dungeons and Dragons have issue with Editorial Licenses, to include their clothing and swords? I did like these items before I had read about them and would like to know for sure.

Let's just say that about everything legal involving D&D campaigns, settings and art is a huge blank at the moment.
    D&D was originally owned by TSR. Wizards of the Coast bought TSR about 20 years ago (and then had the specific TSR brand name expire 3 years ago).
    TSR and later Wizards of the Coast had a certain blank license for creators to make D&D stuff, including campaigns or settings, figurines, fan fiction, etcetera, since freely allowing all those things added to the popularity of the D&D game.
    Wizards of the Coast then tried to one-sided alter the license agreement, demanding very steep fees. Which resulted in massive player backlash, so they withdrew that (for now).
    Wizards of the Coast also managed to majorly peeve off the original creators of several official campaigns and official D&D art works, and are now in a couple of legal battles surrounding those, including the original Greyhawk campaign, but also the more well known Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms campaign settings. So, who owns the rights to Drizzt Do'Urden and his signature dual scimitars is kinda up in the air. Even the latest adaptations of this figure are clearly based upon the first descriptions and the first artworks for this character, and it seems the case is going pretty strongly in the direction that WotC doesn't have the full rights in the first place, and basically signed away any rights they might've had with the open licenses in the second place. It's actually fairly probable that they will abandon these old campaign settings in the future entirely, to replace them with new campaign settings, art and characters that are tighter under their own control. Just wait for the threethousandumptieth edition to be released in a couple of years for this to happen.