Carrara will not install on Mac (resolved)

RixstudioRixstudio Posts: 37
edited February 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Using Mac OS10.10, downloaded & attempted install of Carrara but after typing in name & serial number - Carrara then quits & returns to same window ( asking for name & Serial number). And so on.

If this program doesn't work on macs - why is it sold for macs?

I feel so cheated & really fed up. I mean REALLY fed up. I've spent so much money with DAZ recently - beginning to wish I hadn't. 

I know I'll get no response from DAZ -  so long as they're making money who cares, right?!. But f****, surely I'm entitled to a refund!

SO angry!

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

there's people here who use it on macs. Try putting mac in the thread title.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Yes. This will get fixed and you, too, will become a Carrara addict like the rest of us! :D

• Get fixed? Why is it sold if it needs fixing?

Carrara doesn't show up in DIM (latest version) so I have to install it manually - & that doesn't work either. 

I had big plans & high hopes for this. I guess I just write this off as (bad) experience & opt for something bigger that doesn't need fixing.

Thanks for trying to help.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Get fixed? Why is it sold if it needs fixing?

I believe he meant "your problem will get fixed", not the software

Carrara doesn't show up in DIM (latest version) so I have to install it manually - & that doesn't work either. 

Do you have the Software box ticked in your Download Filters?

I had big plans & high hopes for this. I guess I just write this off as (bad) experience & opt for something bigger that doesn't need fixing.

Thanks for trying to help.

If you don't wish to wait, Daz3D has a 30-day money-back guarantee.

• Using Mac mini 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i5 with 8GB RAM on OS 10.10 & latest version of DAZ Download Manager. Carrara simply doesn't show up in DIM so I download try to install manually. Gets as far as serial number window - which I type in - then Carrara 'unexpectedly quits' & takes me back to serial number window. And on it goes.

Switched off firewall so that's not the problem. And the fact that Carrara doesn't show up in Download Manager suggests that there's a problem with it prior to download - so file corruption is ruled out.

I'm resigned to the fact I'll probably just have to accept the monetry loss - no way will DAZ ever give me a refund - but I'm just so disappointed.

Anyway - there it is. If someone can help, great. If not, c'est la vie! But any suggestions for what else I could use for compiling, creating & lighting room sets would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Thanks Fixmypcmike

Thought I'd checked download filters - duh!

It's late & I'm tired - I'll try again tomorrow. Appreciate your help.

• Sorry guys - Fixed it. Download Filters weren't switched on.

• Spoke too soon!

Used Download Manager but Carrara still crashing after I type in serial number.

• Spoke too soon.

Download Manager fine - but Carrara still crashing & not installing properly.

Merged duplicate threads and changed title to include "on Mac"

• rixstudio,

Don't give up. I use Carrara every day on a Mac running 10.10.5. I'm not sure why you're having a problem. Maybe you should file a support ticket. 

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Could this be a permissions problem, or was that fixed?

You may need to run as the root user to do the serial number. Don't forget to disable root when you are done.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited January 2016

Hi rixstudio,

I am on a Mac and have had Carrara run under 10.10 and now 10.11.  It does work, so don't give up; something went wrong with your installation.  While we can give you some help here, I would suggest filing a support ticket, too.  Daz needs to know you had an install problem.

Here is a screen snap of Carrara running under 10.11 (same as it did under 10.10 for me).  

carramac.png
    593 x 350 - 104K
    Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,842

Which version of Carrara? I remember that problem with 8.5.0 but I think it was fixed in later versions, like 8.5.1.

I know that since Apple tightened the security (beginning with 10.7), sometimes installers have had problems while DIM have succeeded. It is things like creating the ~/Documents/DAZ 3D/Carrara 8.5 folder.

And, can you post the crashlog here so I can look at it and see what fails and give you some hints on what to do. DAZ is not at company that doesn't give a shit, they do care, but when it comes to things like this, it can be your security settings, or something else, so a crash log is important.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited January 2016

I had that for a while when I reinstalled after losing my hard drive over Christmas. I'm not entirely sure what I did to fix it (there was alcohol sloshing around at the time!), but I'm pretty sure it involved permissions for the Daz3D folder in Applications, or Documents, or both. I think they'd somehow got set to read-only, which caused it to crash. Ah yes I remember now: It would run, but it crashed as soon as I clicked on something. Turned out it couldn't create a temp file.

Navigate to the folder in Finder right-click and select Get Info. You'll see the permissions at the bottom of the window. Change as necessary and select Apply to enclosed items.

Hope that helps.

(Btw, I love how my Mac thinks I have staff. Mabe it was built by cats!)

Post edited by TangoAlpha on

Might be the Carrara.app folder that by default has read only bits then. hard to say as mine is installed and I've done repair permissions after, but from 10.7, /Applications is read only

• Appreciate everyone's help here. I've tried all suggestions, also noted that it's version 8.5.1 & I sent a ticket to DAZ yesterday too. Unfortunately, apart from the auto-reply, DAZ aren't responding. Although perhaps I'm being impatient(?)

Not sure what to do - just real fed up with the whole thing now. 

I'll stick with DAZ studio & guess I just wave goodbye to the cost of Carrara.

Shit happens, right?!  Thanks again everyone.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Stick with it. It is a good program and is capable of being used on the the MAC Platform as you have seen from the other people.

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332

Appreciate everyone's help here. I've tried all suggestions, also noted that it's version 8.5.1 & I sent a ticket to DAZ yesterday too. Unfortunately, apart from the auto-reply, DAZ aren't responding. Although perhaps I'm being impatient(?)

Not sure what to do - just real fed up with the whole thing now. 

I'll stick with DAZ studio & guess I just wave goodbye to the cost of Carrara.

Shit happens, right?!  Thanks again everyone.

Don't give up, I am sure DAZ will respond soon, I feel that you are passing through this, I am using Carrara for years and I am a Mac user and I enjoy quite a lot this program, hope to hear good news from you soon.

Cheers!

Otto

• FYI - Daz helpdesk responded & said, "Unfortunately, there's a know issue with the Standard version (32 bit) of Carrara 8.5."

They then suggested I try the Pro version - but I simply can't afford another $285. Not on top of the (wasted) $149 for a program, which despite having "a known issue" is still being sold!!

No discount was offered - no refund.

Sorry - did I say earlier that DAZ are only interested in money - what on earth would give me that idea I wonder.

Thanks for all your comments & efforts to help but I doubt I'll be signing in again. I've lost money & I've lost time - now I've lost interest.

May the Force (not the Farce) be with you all.

You should request a refund.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

1. Get a refund for the edition that you've bought

2. Join the Platinum+ club

3. The price of the Pro edition to PC+ members is currently $65. Plus you get a $6 coupon which you can apply (you may need to do it in 2 transactions, ie join then buy). Even if you never use the PC+ club again and let it lapse, it's more than paid for itself.

According to the Carrara change log, the problem with the 32-bit version on Mac was fixed, so the DIM version shouldn't have that problem.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

I have both the Carrara 8.5.1.19, 32 and 64 bit versions installed and working in Mac OS X 10.11.2.

I recently upgraded from Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.11.2. Carrara was installed under the older OS, so unless there is a problem with installing the 32 bit version under the new Mac OS, it should function.

As TangoAlpha mentioned, be sure to check the permissions of the DazTmp folder in /Users/[your account name]/Documents/DAZ 3D. You need to have read and write permissions.

You also may have a corrupted Preferences file located at "/Users/[your account name]/Library/Preferences/DAZ 3D/Carrara 8.5" (you can use the "Go to Folder..." menu option under the Finder's Go menu to get there, since the Library folder is invisible. Just paste in the path "~/Library/Preferences/DAZ 3D/Carrara 8.5" to open it.

You could try renaming the "Preferences.txt" file to "oldPreferences.txt" and then restart Carrara. It should recreate a new uncorrupted Preferences.txt file.

Hope some of this helps.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

1. Get a refund for the edition that you've bought

2. Join the Platinum+ club

3. The price of the Pro edition to PC+ members is currently $65. Plus you get a $6 coupon which you can apply (you may need to do it in 2 transactions, ie join then buy). Even if you never use the PC+ club again and let it lapse, it's more than paid for itself.

If doing this get the 3 month platinum club and you will save a bundle. The pro comes with the 64 bit and the 32 bit. the only difference is in the serial number unlocks the pro features.

• Okay - here it is - firstly, I am genuinely grateful for the advice & comments from you all. All kinda new to me & I'm so impressed with everyone's willingness to help & encourage.

For reasons I can't begin to fathom but Daz acknowledge - there appears to be an issue with 32bit version of Carrara which prevents it installing fully with some Macs. (But, as you'll see from previous comments, only some macs...??) Don't know what the issue is exactly but Daz are aware of the problem & are looking into it.

Re: my own drama with the software - Daz have NOT charged me for the Pro version, I believe by way of compensation & apology.

All seems good - but going forward, 32bit version still seems to hold a few puzzles. 64bit works fine (except it doesn't like Genesis 3 & crashes when loading). But, for now, Genesis 2 it is.

OMG - late for work again! Gotta go, thanks everyone!

I would say the 32 bit fails on OS X higher than 10.7 or 10.8 (where Apple changed security layers in the OS)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Genesis 3 is not currenttly supported in Carrara 8.5.1,. We've been told that support for Genesis 3 technology is being worked on.

Genesis 1 and 2 work, as do all previous generations of Daz/Poser figures.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Okay - here it is - firstly, I am genuinely grateful for the advice & comments from you all. All kinda new to me & I'm so impressed with everyone's willingness to help & encourage.

For reasons I can't begin to fathom but Daz acknowledge - there appears to be an issue with 32bit version of Carrara which prevents it installing fully with some Macs. (But, as you'll see from previous comments, only some macs...??) Don't know what the issue is exactly but Daz are aware of the problem & are looking into it.

Re: my own drama with the software - Daz have NOT charged me for the Pro version, I believe by way of compensation & apology.

All seems good - but going forward, 32bit version still seems to hold a few puzzles. 64bit works fine (except it doesn't like Genesis 3 & crashes when loading). But, for now, Genesis 2 it is.

OMG - late for work again! Gotta go, thanks everyone!

So glad you got it working! For what it is worth, the 64 bit version is the way to go.

There will be a learning curve for Carrara. It has some powerful features that at first blush look complicated, but are actually easier than you might think. Just remember, if you get stuck, we're here to help!

I would also take a look at the top of the Carrara forum for some very helpful, stickied threads.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Woot! Yeah!

Yeah, you don't wnt 32 bit... welcome aboard! Here's the thing:

With something as special as Carrara, we really should have ALL that it has to offer - and we need the Pro version for that. I'm glad DAZ 3D took care of you. It doesn't surprise me, however... they've always been nothing but wonderful to me, which is why you'll often see me defending them.