DAZ Studio VR Edition

The consumer versions of Oculus Rift and HTC Vive are due to ship March/April 2016. The VR revolution is upon us. Please consider a VR enabled version of Studio. 

Comments

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,878

The question is, how many people will be buying these. I know I won't. So it might as well not be worth it for Daz to do this.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited January 2016

How would that even work? Daz Studio is designed specifically to render 2D art. It'd be like asking for a virtual reality edition of Photoshop!

Even if it were possible, I shudder to think of the times necessary to render an object in advance from every single possible angle... Not to mention, every conceivable variation of lighting as the viewer orbits/zooms around it.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

I can think of a couple of ways this could work, but the easiest would be proper stereo rendered output. I have a couple of hacks I use to render stereo stills, but tightly integrated 3Delight and Iray render targets for 3D display would be pretty useful. 

• Are you talking about the render, or the interface? I could certainly see myself arranging my scene in 3d with those vive controllers, or taking a walk through stonemason's old london. Now that would be awesome. 

• I'd pay $100 or more for DAZ Studio to support spherical cameras. You could achieve renders for VR with that. Carrara has it, as does every other 3D software package that I know of. 

• I have a rift and was thinking if they made the interface vr compatiable it would make it so much easier to pose characters.

Would love it if someone or daz made a addon to do this.

• wfwf Posts: 19

I'm sure I would buy one.

• How... how would this work, exactly? The output is 2D, the camera view in VR wouldn't be the same as the render.

It's not like Daz is a video game we wander around in? It would make things harder to manipulate, rather than easier. I've tried those fancy 3D gloves to attempt to manipulate architectural items in another programme; they added next to nothing that a well-callibrated 3D mouse can't do better. Having my POV zoomed in at the same time would be worse.

3D mice are the answer to improving Daz manipulations. You can zoom around the set way more quickly and adeptly, and then posing becomes a case of gently turning the cylinder, far more tactile and intuitive than the mouse-click-sliders. Albeit if Daz did want to get into harware at some later point in time, a 3D mouse with five built in analogue sliders would be absolutely amazing. It'd look like a sideways USB mixing desk with a mouse cylinder, and a bunch of control buttons, like an APC mkII for Ableton. If I knew anything about electronics or programming I'd knock one up myself.

• I agree, goose_chase. I also tend to do most of my manipulation of characters and other things in the viewport with a combination of mouse clicks and keyboard entry.

• janmclarejanmclare Posts: 32

Nvidia is bringing out IRAY VR soon. Although that version is built for the high end render farms they are also releasing IRAY VR LITE.

IRAY  VR LITE is similar but it instead of producing a scene which can be walked though we are limited to a fixed place around which we can rotate our head only.

That is still pretty good in my opinion and would be one of the best uses for my Rift. Playing games is not realisitc enough but an IRAY enviroment could be very realistic.

I can't wait for the LITE version. Nividia says it will be integrated into the IRAY engine. I really hope Daz get this updated version of IRAY and integrate it into studio.

• That does sound interesting. I suppose you could create an on-rails animation sequence, with the freedom to look around the scene as it plays out.

You'd probably have to kill the poly-count, though. Murder it, even. Maybe the Daz sister site for computer game sprites might be the more appropriate area for VR development? They wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel that way, it's all super low-poly there already.

• I think it would be great just for creating the scene, posing and compositing the scene, the lights, it would be an immersive expireince, i would try that for sure.

• It would be great for both creating and rendering the scene for viewing, so

YES PLEASE DO IT!

• As a user chosen option, sure; as the default or only choice, not at all.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 792

People are asking how it would work since iRay renders 2D. Not necessarily true. If VR support was added, you could add a rendering feature to support VR rendering in 3D. It's just two images, one for each eye. Animation formats for VR already exist. That could be added too. Also, some people use DAZ for rigging in games and at other times, you just want to get a good feel for where everything is and navigate thrtough the scene. In all these cases, VR is great. 

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 916

They announced an interactive Iray VR render feature https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/04/05/vr-with-iray/

This video is the reveal where they talk about the hardware needed and also mention a lite Iray VR for consumer powered devices.

• 3DLust3DLust Posts: 230

You might know this already, but the plugin for Octane Render should give you the ability to render for VR, I use the Carrara to Octane plugin and it's fantastic, but I don't have the Studio plugin. 

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited May 2016

I can't see the use in "live editing", unless it was to output as a VR scene. However, as slow as iray is, even rendering one image in preview, no gains would come from rendering super-slow with dual-output needed for VR pre-viewing.

You don't need millions of angles... only two... right and left eyes. (about a 6" camera linear offset) {For full 360, you still need a conversion tool and multiple renders or video-output, which daz can already do.}

That is all 3D is, without any camera-blur, as blur is created by the convergance of your eyes, on the intersecting image parts.

Daz can already do this. However, you need to edit the final output yourself, for whatever device setup you want to use. (This is cross-eye format)

Put camera A and B on one rig, and rotate the rig, for full 360-deg rotation 3D view. Output as video, and each frame matches to produce full 3D VR output.

Well, until they make something that can just output the format you need. But each VR device is unique, (due to patents and copyrights).

stereo_a01.jpg
    880 x 683 - 238K
    Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605

for stills there's my script to render a daz scene as a mosaic then stitch them into a spherical/equirectangular image

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/926271/#Comment_926271

• jcbunnjcbunn Posts: 270

Daz3D in VR ? thats the first step to make the 2009 Surrogates movie a reality.

or the 1992 Lawnmower Man (not the brain getting smarter part..the other VR parts of the movie)

• spoffninjaspoffninja Posts: 17
    edited July 2016

How... how would this work, exactly? The output is 2D, the camera view in VR wouldn't be the same as the render.

It's not like Daz is a video game we wander around in? It would make things harder to manipulate, rather than easier. I've tried those fancy 3D gloves to attempt to manipulate architectural items in another programme; they added next to nothing that a well-callibrated 3D mouse can't do better. Having my POV zoomed in at the same time would be worse.

3D mice are the answer to improving Daz manipulations. You can zoom around the set way more quickly and adeptly, and then posing becomes a case of gently turning the cylinder, far more tactile and intuitive than the mouse-click-sliders. Albeit if Daz did want to get into harware at some later point in time, a 3D mouse with five built in analogue sliders would be absolutely amazing. It'd look like a sideways USB mixing desk with a mouse cylinder, and a bunch of control buttons, like an APC mkII for Ableton. If I knew anything about electronics or programming I'd knock one up myself.

For THIS

This is what I would use it for at least! Imagine, The VR Headset is the view port in DAZ Studio. I would be able to really pose stuff, set offsets of materials, shaders and objects. Set down cameras just right, can you can Scale Up / Down with it. I can use my living room as the scene studio. Or I can sit and pose, moprh, shade the models however you want and no need to rotate the viewport. Just look around the models for the best angle for the render camera. It would alone save me tons of time.

And then you can push your models over to Zbrush. Or even if you use the weight brush etc like this.

Post edited by spoffninja on
  • wfwf Posts: 19

How... how would this work, exactly? The output is 2D, the camera view in VR wouldn't be the same as the render.

I'm sure you havn't tested VR in roomscale. Please come back when you know more about this.

As a developer myself I have been busy working with daz models in Unity since beginning of 2016. It's a pretty awesome experience and I think I'm going to share this application I've made at some point.

• NEK4KillerNEK4Killer Posts: 9
    Do you have a VR interface intergration in DAZ3D? I have a Oculus Rift with the Toch controller and I think this is a realy good think.
  • ImagoImago Posts: 5,044
    MarkH said:

The consumer versions of Oculus Rift and HTC Vive are due to ship March/April 2016. The VR revolution is upon us. Please consider a VR enabled version of Studio. 

For which end? frown
    We can do 3D content for that platform... Without that platform!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited May 2018

the ability to see the opengl texture preview window in spherical view as well as the iray view would help

technically full screen with iray view enabled and a spherical lens should work in an Oculus rift etc not got one to test

it has WASD controls too

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited May 2018

Whilst I encourage DAZ3d to develop DS, I would say that there are very many other features that would be much more popular than VR. To name but a few: (effective and fast) Physics, so items and characters can interact, real-time clothing draping and manipulation, brushes for real-time mesh manipulation, fluids and particles, better animation, the ability to make solid (3d printable) objects from figures with hair and clothing. The list could go on, but VR would not be high up on my list.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on

well as I said AFAIK we already have it

if I had an occulus I could test it but fullscreen mode iray interactive with a spherical lens you can pan around with WASD if your Nvidia card can load the scene

• andrushuk1andrushuk1 Posts: 342

I think this would be a realy good idea as long as it worked properly i would spend the $

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2018

Isn't the DS viewport already programmable through the SDK?  Why can't someone simply add a VR viewport rendering mode?  Obviously, it would have to use real-time rendering, which probably explains the holdup.  But, it doesn't have to be Iray quality rendering to make it work.

Post edited by Seven193 on

what does a VR rendering mode look like?

As I said I don't have an occulus and obviously my suggestion of fullscreen mode with a spherical lens does not work by the comments