G3F all the same faces?

2»

Comments

• yagakisan said:

Thank you IsaacNewton, I didn't know at all that thing of the different number of polygons, I thought that G3 as a newer and evoluted figure would have had more than the "old" V4.

Good to know, and I think it's definitely a relevant reason.

It can have more; the 17,000 poly figure is for the base resolution model. I'm currently working on a character for sale here amd I may end up seeing if I can get access to the advanced tool so I can provide higher definition morphs.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Hi Yagakisan, G3F in it's base resolution has only a quarter (or so) of the polygons of V4, but in theory it can have many times more than V4 since the mesh of G3F can be subdivided many times in DS.

Unfortunately DAZ3d have decided to limit access to this feature for modelling of G3F in other programs, (and lets face it modelling or even morphing in DS is, well, I'll let you supply your own adjective). The high resolution feature for modelling the Genesis 3 figures is only available to their PAs. Presumably they do this to try and ensure DAZ3d are the ones who sell the high rez models and no one else. It's their software and they can do what they want with it, but personally I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing so.

If there was any real competition in the market (Smith Micro pull you finger out!) G3F would be a loser to any figure with modern technology such as infinitely subdividable mesh.

• Daywalker DesignsDaywalker Designs Posts: 3,586
    edited December 2016

If there was any real competition in the market (Smith Micro pull you finger out!) G3F would be a loser to any figure with modern technology such as infinitely subdividable mesh.

G3F and G3M are, even though the higher levels aren't used to display in the interface. I actually have done renders with SubD level three. And I just took a base resolution mesh into zBrush and added 6 levels of subdivision to it; at that level, it had 17 million polys/points.

Post edited by Daywalker Designs on
    edited December 2016

Daywalker said: G3F and G3M are [inifinitely subdividable], even though the higher levels aren't used to display in the interface. I actually have done renders with SubD level three. And I just took a base resolution mesh into zBrush and added 6 levels of subdivision to it; at that level, it had  7 million polys/points.

This is true, but irrelevant to the production of morphs and therefore the ability to create new faces and body shapes; standard Genesis 3 in DS still looks like standard Genesis 3 even if you subdivide it 10 times. You can subdivide Genesis 3 all you like in Zbrush, but you can't send it back to DS unless you have the DAZ3d propritary software. It's all very nice to have a subdivideable figure mesh, but its of no real use to anyone in creating new faces unless they happen to be PAs who are given access to the software which allows Genesis 3 to be subdivided and morphed in an external program and then returned without error to DS; the so called HD characters.

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • Daywalker said: G3F and G3M are [inifinitely subdividable], even though the higher levels aren't used to display in the interface. I actually have done renders with SubD level three. And I just took a base resolution mesh into zBrush and added 6 levels of subdivision to it; at that level, it had  7 million polys/points.

This is true, but irrelevant to the production of morphs and therefore the ability to create new faces and body shapes; standard Genesis 3 in DS still looks like standard Genesis 3 even if you subdivide it 10 times. You can subdivide Genesis 3 all you like in Zbrush, but you can't send it back to DS unless you have the DAZ3d propritary software. It's all very nice to have a subdivideable figure mesh, but its of no real use to anyone in creating new faces unless they happen to be PAs who are given access to the software which allows Genesis 3 to be subdivided and morphed in an external program and then returned without error to DS; the so called HD characters.

DAZ Studio will crash if you try to use viewport SubD levels much above 2; I tried to manually adjust it to 6 yesterday as the default is 2 and that's what happened to me. Amd, PAs have made high def face shape element morphs available for users to work with; you just need to buy the sets they are in.

Daywalker03 said "Amd, PAs have made high def face shape element morphs available for users to work with; you just need to buy the sets they are in."

Thank you. My point exactly! You just have to buy their sets, from DAZ3d. You can not make your own HD morph sets unless you are a PA.

I would be happy to buy a licence to use the DAZ3d HD software for non-commercial purposes, but I guess not everyone would be honest in keeping to the licence agreement and I assume DAZ3d does not want the hassle of policing this, so they limit the software to their PA's and all the sales go through DAZ3d. However, I do find it kind of tacky that DAZ3d advertise Genesis 3 as having this super HD technology when in fact it is only available to use yourself if you happen to be a DAZ3d PA, or if you buy a product from DAZ3d with HD morphs already made and incorporated.

Here is the DAZ3d claim for Genesis 3:

"Genesis 3 provides superior control, articulation, movement, gender specific sculpting and HD Morphing technology. Genesis 3 empowers creators with an unprecedented level of customization and detail."

There is no mention (not even a footnote) that only DAZ3d PAs can actually use the HD technology to create new HD morphs. I trust that DAZ3d are a law abiding company and that this does not contravene US advertising standards, however, I'm pretty sure this would not fly in the UK and many other countries.

• I think that means that the base Genesis 3 figures has HD morphs, unlike earlier figures where HD morphs were in add-ons only. It depends on whether you read creators as content creators, or as people using the content to create imagery and so on.

Although we don't havea ccess to the tools for creating HD moprhs we can use displacement, or for static images sculpt a divided mesh directly, to achieve higher-resolution results (if it's for your own projects and yout have the base sculpt there isn't the same issue of UV juggling with displacement as theer is in a PA item that has to work for many different users).

• Daywalker03 said "Amd, PAs have made high def face shape element morphs available for users to work with; you just need to buy the sets they are in."

Thank you. My point exactly! You just have to buy their sets, from DAZ3d. You can not make your own HD morph sets unless you are a PA.

I would be happy to buy a licence to use the DAZ3d HD software for non-commercial purposes, but I guess not everyone would be honest in keeping to the licence agreement and I assume DAZ3d does not want the hassle of policing this, so they limit the software to their PA's and all the sales go through DAZ3d. However, I do find it kind of tacky that DAZ3d advertise Genesis 3 as having this super HD technology when in fact it is only available to use yourself if you happen to be a DAZ3d PA, or if you buy a product from DAZ3d with HD morphs already made and incorporated.

Here is the DAZ3d claim for Genesis 3:

"Genesis 3 provides superior control, articulation, movement, gender specific sculpting and HD Morphing technology. Genesis 3 empowers creators with an unprecedented level of customization and detail."

There is no mention (not even a footnote) that only DAZ3d PAs can actually use the HD technology to create new HD morphs. I trust that DAZ3d are a law abiding company and that this does not contravene US advertising standards, however, I'm pretty sure this would not fly in the UK and many other countries.

This is probably one of those cases where creation/creator has multiple meanings that are often overlooked. A user of products containing HD morphs, in my opinion, is as much of a creator as the person that creates the product containing them. Of course, there are limits to what is actually usable in DAZ Studio, at least with the hardware available to the average user.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418
    edited December 2016
    yagakisan said:

Hi caravelle, you mentioned two particular characters that show exactly what I mean, and for a tivial reason: they are modelled on real actress! (Jules= Kristen Stewart; Hedera Bane=Helena Bowman Carter).
    What I'm saying is that the difference between most of the G3F characters is very slight, the main somatic is the same and if you take a pic of the faces without hair and colors is not so easy to recognize one from another.

Real people have very different somatics, but you can still say they are "beauty", or have personality, so I don't agree with the statement that PAs continue to use the same basic G3F somatic because is the only one who sell... I wonder what would happen if they start creating characters based on real people, yes, let's say "real beautiful people", just to respect the trend. :)

Hi yagakisan, you are right: The similarity to living persons makes a lot! Hedera Bane definitely 'is' Helena Bonham Carter; Mihrelle's 'Elena' could be made with Scarlett Johansson in mind. I don't see too much Kristen Stewart in Jules, but even if there is not a big resemblance, certain individual details bring the face to life. Maybe this could be a fine method for PAs to create an individual character: Try to 'copy' a living person as best as you can, and then make your own character out of this material. :-)

Post edited by caravelle on
  • Just seconding the Facegen suggestion.  Textures mean a lot to changing faces.  Granted, using HD morphs would be even better.  But, you can do a lot just by using Facegen to get a more asymetrical and natural looking head shape.  Then, using your same reference photo, recreate the texture using merchant resources.  Unless of course, you had a very hi res photo reference to begin with.

Facegen is not terribly expensive.  And, it's very easy to use. The Gen2 version is $69 and the Gen3 version is $139.  I used the G2 version for a couple of months, then turned around and upgraded to the Gen 3 version.  You do have to get familiar with how Daz fits the face to the Genesis models.  They often look different than what you expect from inside Facegen.  But, it's easy to experiment until you get something you like.  Unless you specifically want to copy a face from a photo, you'll get a good approximation with some matches being very good.  I don't care so much about exactly copying a face as I do getting a similar face to make a new character.

Anyway, give it a shot.  I've used Headshop 9 and 10 as well (haven't tried 1Click yet).  But, Headshop is very buggy and prone to crashing.  I've been much happier with my Facegen results.  Plus, Facegen will generate matching body textures for your new face.  It's a huge timesaver.

• Unfortunately , unique faces are not always met with support and do not always sell. Supporting the content creators who do create the more unique variety of morphs is the best way to show Daz 3D that this is something you are looking for and are willing to support , otherwise , vendors will make what sells and that sad or not is often the picture perfect super model.