February, 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Lighting” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,083

Here is my newest render using the same speedlighting Sun with Raytraced shadows set 95% and shadow softness set to 12% cause they are outside and the sun is strong :D

Any comments or advice welcomed

You seem to be using Depth of Field in the foreground. To continue this effect, the background should be even more blury.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    Ati said:

Here is my newest render using the same speedlighting Sun with Raytraced shadows set 95% and shadow softness set to 12% cause they are outside and the sun is strong :D

You seem to be using Depth of Field in the foreground. To continue this effect, the background should be even more blury.

How do I do that to a photo as that is what that is and was put in at postwork?

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823

I'm happy to see you experimenting with DoF.   I want to clarify what Ati said, the background he is referring to is just that, the background element, skydome, whatever.  With 3Delight I have to make a blurred background jpg with corel..or something like photoshop.  You may want to check your skydome surfaces tab to see if it can be blurred.  JPG backgrounds aren't affected by camera DoF unless they are applied to a physical item like a plane or cyclorama in my version of DS.  Iray, I dunno.

Your shadows do show strong light, its not so strong as to wash out details, but be careful of that.

Good start Sapphire.

Teofa said:

I'm happy to see you experimenting with DoF.   I want to clarify what Ati said, the background he is referring to is just that, the background element, skydome, whatever.  With 3Delight I have to make a blurred background jpg with corel..or something like photoshop.  You may want to check your skydome surfaces tab to see if it can be blurred.  JPG backgrounds aren't affected by camera DoF unless they are applied to a physical item like a plane or cyclorama in my version of DS.  Iray, I dunno.

Your shadows do show strong light, its not so strong as to wash out details, but be careful of that.

Good start Sapphire.

Thanks Teofa for that info I am going to go back into PSP9 and see if I can blur the background some more.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,083
    Teofa said:

Good start Sapphire.

Thanks Teofa for that info I am going to go back into PSP9 and see if I can blur the background some more.

I don't use Photoshop myself, in Gimp there's a "Blur" filter under Filters -> Blur. Photoshop has this too, it should be in a menu something similar to this.

I do not use photoshop either I use Paint Shop Pro 9 maybe I will give GIMP a try and see if it wors better for me.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here's my newest rendered just last night. I gave our hero a weapon, due to the fact that who knows what's on the other side of that door he's about to open.

Funny...I had the same thought with your prior image.

I think I know what you saying both Ati and Teofa about the background I hope I got it right:

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Hey, Saphirewild!

Speedlights don't have a lot of depth - although the lighting in this render has more depth than most.  What I found is a combination of lights creates depth in 3Delight.  You can try to add a distant light and/or add one or more additional speed lights to layer the light.  You will need to tone them down so as not to create over exposure.  As you tone down the lights elsewhere, a spotlight on the girl and pony will bring them to the foreground.  Play around with light color as well.

If you have acquired any set/character which comes with lighting that the PA created, play around with that as well. 

edited February 2016

Here's my initial concept.  I hid the two chess players while I was playing around with the lighting.  The first pic is my camera view, and the second is a close-up of the chessboard.  I took some screen shots of a video of a speed chess match to get the positioning of the pieces.  The hovering bishop will be in the hands of the player whose back is facing you, and he is in the process of knocking the queen off the board. 

I'm finding the night light challenging in that I want to illuminate the black pieces.  If the queen is not "back lighted" by the light crate, I may have to make the pants of the second player light.  More to come.

Using Skies of Economy with Uber Environment in 3Delight, and a linear point light in the lamp.  I had to choose a very dark sky or the water was too bright.

Chess 04.jpg
    693 x 462 - 167K
    Chess 03.jpg
    693 x 462 - 205K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • Teofa said:

Any thoughts, suggestions or criticism would be greatly appreciated 

This is IRAY, I can't tell you how to fix it.  The floor reflections are too strong and pixellated, particularly the white one.  I see blue and white pixellated reflection effects scattered throughout the image.

I don't know what the default IRAY settings for reflections are.  I do notice high reflective in many IRAY images that really don't need it.. like dry cobblestone streets reflecting like a highly waxed floor or brick walls reflecting like a mirror.

Are you referring to the spots behind the cat on the floor?  Turning down either the glossiness or reflections in the surfaces tab for the floor, this will take some experimenting, should help.  This looks like one of Stonemason's sets and I do not have that one or I would try and find the settings.

I forgot to use the IRAY uber surface base for that I might try rendering again and maybe adding a light from the hole near the cat 

• Hello!

I'm going to try this.  Lighting is arguably my weakest skill.  Well, that and I know almost nothing about working with surfaces.  I can change diffuse and ambient light settings a little bit (you can see the Luboutin thing I did with the shoes) but when I take it beyond simple stuff, things start to get muddy.

My mind's eye always intended this image to be a study in light and shadow and I love the look of many Iray renders that I see. 

This WIP is an Iray render with no lighting added yet.  It is my starting point, and I am looking for ideas.  It is supposed to be a night picture with light playing off of her glasses, hair, bright red blouse, and skin tones, but with the contrast of shadows on her too. 

I think I also want to resurface the pistol so that the slide is in a brighter, more reflective color; just a glint of blue steel, and to give the weapon some contrast so that it doesn't look so much like a black blob.

Lighting (and shadowing) ideas welcome, and thank you in advance!

Priority - Iray first.

Time Permitting - I may be willing to redo the lighting in 3Delight, just for skills-building.

Title:  "Looking for Trouble"

G2F - Looking for Trouble 000 003.jpg
    760 x 570 - 69K
  • SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110
    edited February 2016

@Dracorn.

Nice images.

I prefer the angle of the first one but it could be better with more zoom ... for me of course :)

Here are my possible contribution ;) ... only 30% render.

Image removed by a moderator.     Please review the forum TOS nudity rules

And/or this one.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • I'm not having much success in other forums, so I thought I'd try here,  I'm trying to use Light Dome Pro-R in DAZ Studio 4.9.  The skydome, lights and camera seem to load fine, but when I try to start the render script it always fails claiming that it can't find the variable 'sceneLights'. Help?

dracorn said:

Here's my initial concept.  I hid the two chess players while I was playing around with the lighting.  The first pic is my camera view, and the second is a close-up of the chessboard.  I took some screen shots of a video of a speed chess match to get the positioning of the pieces.  The hovering bishop will be in the hands of the player whose back is facing you, and he is in the process of knocking the queen off the board. 

I'm finding the night light challenging in that I want to illuminate the black pieces.  If the queen is not "back lighted" by the light crate, I may have to make the pants of the second player light.  More to come.

Using Skies of Economy with Uber Environment in 3Delight, and a linear point light in the lamp.  I had to choose a very dark sky or the water was too bright.

This looks like a great start.  I am looking forward to seeing it with the people added.

As for the Black Queen, you could try either a spot light or point light, maybe backlighting it so it shows up better.

Teofa said:

Any thoughts, suggestions or criticism would be greatly appreciated 

This is IRAY, I can't tell you how to fix it.  The floor reflections are too strong and pixellated, particularly the white one.  I see blue and white pixellated reflection effects scattered throughout the image.

I don't know what the default IRAY settings for reflections are.  I do notice high reflective in many IRAY images that really don't need it.. like dry cobblestone streets reflecting like a highly waxed floor or brick walls reflecting like a mirror.

Are you referring to the spots behind the cat on the floor?  Turning down either the glossiness or reflections in the surfaces tab for the floor, this will take some experimenting, should help.  This looks like one of Stonemason's sets and I do not have that one or I would try and find the settings.

I forgot to use the IRAY uber surface base for that I might try rendering again and maybe adding a light from the hole near the cat 

Been there.  Done that.

Now I try to remember to check the surfaces to see if they have been converted to iray.  I can add and remove so much stuff I sometimes forget if I have done that or not.

Hello!

I'm going to try this.  Lighting is arguably my weakest skill.  Well, that and I know almost nothing about working with surfaces.  I can change diffuse and ambient light settings a little bit (you can see the Luboutin thing I did with the shoes) but when I take it beyond simple stuff, things start to get muddy.

My mind's eye always intended this image to be a study in light and shadow and I love the look of many Iray renders that I see. 

This WIP is an Iray render with no lighting added yet.  It is my starting point, and I am looking for ideas.  It is supposed to be a night picture with light playing off of her glasses, hair, bright red blouse, and skin tones, but with the contrast of shadows on her too. 

I think I also want to resurface the pistol so that the slide is in a brighter, more reflective color; just a glint of blue steel, and to give the weapon some contrast so that it doesn't look so much like a black blob.

Priority - Iray first.

Time Permitting - I may be willing to redo the lighting in 3Delight, just for skills-building.

I agree the gun is a bit of a black blob at the moment.  When testing surfaces change 1 setting at a time then do a test or spot render to see the results.  If you change 2 or more settings at a time it makes it harder to know what setting change did what to your surface.

Are you planning on putting her in some kind of set or use a background?  This will make a difference for your lighting.

edited February 2016
    Siotrad said:

@Dracorn.

Nice images.

I prefer the angle of the first one but it could be better with more zoom ... for me of course :)

And/or this one.

It is difficult to judge the first render being so grainy.

I love the 2nd one.  Nice bright colours and some interesting shadows created by the fabric draped around her.

Do keep in mind the forum TOS for nudity and sexually explicit images.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

I'm not having much success in other forums, so I thought I'd try here,  I'm trying to use Light Dome Pro-R in DAZ Studio 4.9.  The skydome, lights and camera seem to load fine, but when I try to start the render script it always fails claiming that it can't find the variable 'sceneLights'. Help?

I do not have that set.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2016

Just a quick note for New Users.  Renders which are going to be entered into the contest need to be posted to the Contest first, before they are posted elsewhere.

A reminder from the Rules

8. Please enter images created specifically for this contest and not previously available for public viewing.

They should also be posted to the thread using the attachment button, rather than linked to from else where

3. Upload you image using the Post Reply - Browse to Attachment feature (In other words please do not link to your image but rather post it to the thread)

4. Post your image publicly within the WIP Thread during the creation process or publicly once you have completed the final image and submitted it to the Official Contest Thread.. 

Thanks 

Post edited by Chohole on
    Siotrad said:

@Dracorn.

Nice images.

And/or this one.

The first one will be the final angle as that is my camera view.  My dilemma is zoom vs. the story contained in the boat crammed with stuff, and why are two guys in the middle of the ocean playing chess at night? 

As to your render of the lady with the tattoo...  This is wonderfully artistic.  Her pose and the fabric drapery display a classic museum nude.  Nice color contrast of background with the subject.

Wonderful tattoo!  Did you create it?

Some suggestions for lighting to experiment with:

• Rim lighting is nice and subtle, and has room to be increased if you want.
    • Possibly reduce the light intensity a little and bring in accent lighting - not so much as to lose the detail on the tattoo but to increase the drama.
    • Reduce the graininess - I'm not experienced in Iray but I assume that increasing shadow samples works the same as in 3Delight.

Hello!

Priority - Iray first.

My first impression of the story is what's got her attention?  Something startled/concerns her and she pulled her focus off of her intended victim (me... gulp!).  I'm curious as to the background - this render could benefit from simplicity, like the dark backgrounds of old oil paintings.  You may want to consider a simple portrait background of floor and wall only, and leave the rest of the story up to our imagination. 

Also consider her expression - this can really add to the dramatic pose.  What is she thinking?  What's her personality?  The difference between fear and anger can dramatically alter the whole picture, whereas a neutral expression makes me wonder if somebody is just bringing her coffee.

I think your light source should come from the direction she is looking at, as though someone had opened a door.  A rim light on the opposite side would add some drama.  Blend your lights for depth - the concept is the same in Iray or 3Delight.  Since your focus is Iray and I work in 3Delight, I'm going to defer to someone experienced in Iray for technical advice.

0This is my first share, hope you like it :)

All Props are freebie's, 

Scene -

Genesis 2 Female (Siren Outfit, ToublouseHair, *Cybera Mage Bracers.

Genesis 2 Female (CharmHair, *TinaArmStrong Suit, *Arki NeolindaVeil

Backdrop and Envrionment IBL Lighting *environment_fantasy_forest_by_pumax001

Scene Composit 4 Renders using 1-2 spot lights with and without IBL, images overlayed, post work in Gimp to remove excess boundries between overlays.

I did want to do more work on this, but returning to Daz4.9 today and loading the scene something screwy happen with aspect ratio and I couldnt get DAZ to render out the same images.

Anyways, here it is .....

< -- Hi-Res Image - Popup New Window

Nice concept.  It's always tricky to match the lighting of your figure with a background image.  The problem here could be your background image - it seems a little flat, and its resolution doesn't match your figure.  You could take a look at free images from Pixabay.  Some of those have adequate resolution so as not to appear grainy.  Perhaps you can find an image that seems more in the distance from her which will reduce that flat look.  The fact that you have the bottom of her body cut off is a great way to show there is no ground. 

I like your accent lighting and the way the green bounces off her hand and her knee.  I don't care much for the red glow on her right shoulder - it seems more like a bad lens flare.  Perhaps consider a different color?  What is the red... is it magic?  However the subtle red accent light on her arms is a nice touch and contrasts well with the green.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

I'm not having much success in other forums, so I thought I'd try here,  I'm trying to use Light Dome Pro-R in DAZ Studio 4.9.  The skydome, lights and camera seem to load fine, but when I try to start the render script it always fails claiming that it can't find the variable 'sceneLights'. Help?

I don't own this light Dome either, and 'm not yet on 4.9. so there could be many reasons I don't know. First thing to ask though, the dome seems to be an IRAY product, so are you rednering in IRAY? Next question is, is it asking you to locate the scene llights? if so its worth trying to locate the relevant file in the explorer, sometimes products seem to have problems using the expected path. Also look in the product description if there are scene lights. Did you check if the product has a support page or a readme coming with it?

hope that gives you some starting points.

Siotrad said:

@Dracorn.

Nice images.

Siotrad said:

And/or this one.

Siotrad this is a nice rendre. As far as I remember there is an original photo with this kind of motive. maybe you could try and find it on the internet and post a link. Using a reference is a good idea. The lights and shadows as they are now work pretty good, but are lacking depth, especially in her face. I know the focus is not on her face but right now it looks flat.

• My first iteration for this month i am calling it sleepless night.

Daniel

sleepless night 1.jpg
    2048 x 1638 - 2M
    edited February 2016

LIGHTING BLOOPER!

...Guess I need to twist the lamp!  I kept increasing the light from the main camera angle and wondered why it wasn't lighting his face.  Well, now I know.

I thought I would include two detail renders to focus on the characters.  The sailor doesn't have an expression yet, but 'suppose that doesn't' matter 'cause I can't see his face!

Chess lighting blooper.jpg
    693 x 462 - 185K
    Post edited by dracorn on

I think I know what you saying both Ati and Teofa about the background I hope I got it right:

Saphire, in the moment the complete image looks a bit blurry (did you render very small? when I open the link the image ther is very small, so its really hard to say something useful). The background image is blurry now as well which is as it should be. Now I'm guessing a littlle, maybe nudge you into one direction, but the decision is yours of cause: It would be an interesting point to play with the shadow of that angel some more, for that I would move him more into focus, push the platers a little more aside. You could even think of movin the statue to the fromt right place. so having a full light on it (maybe add a spot?) and let the shadow fall over the whole place.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited February 2016
    dracorn said:

LIGHTING BLOOPER!

...Guess I need to move that darned oar!  I kept increasing the light from the main camera angle and wondered why it wasn't lighting his face.  Well, now I know.

I thought I would include two detail renders to focus on the characters.  The sailor doesn't have an expression yet, but 'suppose that doesn't' matter 'cause I can't see his face!

Are you sure is the oar? Cause there is a shadow going back from the oar onto the boat. It almost looks like his shirt is catching that shadow and the light isnt coming out the top of the latern which is shadowing his face. Now that i really look at it i am not sure whats casting that shadow...its weird cause the oar is behind the lamp it shouldnt get casting a shadow 90 degrees maybe i am looking at the perspective wrong.

Daniel

Post edited by D.Robinson on
    edited February 2016
    dracorn said:

I'm very interested to see what direction this is going. Especially when the players join the image.  For the water you can as well check for the ambient on the surfaces tab, Iwould probably choose a black ambient for this one if its not already set for black.

edit: ok you've a new one up already, I thinka as well the shadow could be from the lantern solid parts, try rotating by the y axis. or from one of the chess pieaces on the side, depending what heigth your point light has.

Post edited by Linwelly on