February, 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Lighting” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

My first iteration for this month i am calling it sleepless night.

Daniel

Hmm.  Maybe she can't sleep because the pattern on her sheets is too busy. 

Nice soft lighting, and I like the moonlight coming in from the unseen window onto her thigh and the shadow of the slats on the wall. 

Bet you probably fought with the hair, too.  Maybe the only way to get rid of the gravity-defying lock is post work. 

One question - why is she wearing heels in bed?  It implies that she just laid down after walking around.  That's not necessarily a bad thing because it goes with the story, but it sure won't contribute to sleep comfort.  =o)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Linwelly said:

I think I know what you saying both Ati and Teofa about the background I hope I got it right:

Saphire, in the moment the complete image looks a bit blurry (did you render very small? when I open the link the image ther is very small, so its really hard to say something useful). The background image is blurry now as well which is as it should be. Now I'm guessing a littlle, maybe nudge you into one direction, but the decision is yours of cause: It would be an interesting point to play with the shadow of that angel some more, for that I would move him more into focus, push the platers a little more aside. You could even think of movin the statue to the fromt right place. so having a full light on it (maybe add a spot?) and let the shadow fall over the whole place.

Yes, that is one reason why we say Attach it, don't link to it.  Then we can advise you from the get up go to make it larger.  The other reason is of course that it is supposed to be new to this contest, and not posted elsewhere.

• Yah that lock is a problem. I am gonna change her styling and see if i can get it to laydown. As far as the heels it was mistake i was working with that model in another render and saved her with the heels on...i am working on fixing.

Daniel

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Yah that lock is a problem. I am gonna change her styling and see if i can get it to laydown. As far as the heels it was mistake i was working with that model in another render and saved her with the heels on...i am working on fixing.

Daniel

Check as well on the shadows of the window shutters, from the angle the  light has at the moment I would ecpect some of the striped shadow on her leg. As well there is a refelction of the light /shadow from the window on the side wall, that seems a bit much.

• Here's my newest rendered just last night. I gave our hero a weapon, due to the fact that who knows what's on the other side of that door he's about to open.

Funny...I had the same thought with your prior image.

I've cracked the door, and added a companion checking his gear. All we know is there seems to be power on the other side of the door.

feb2016d.jpg
    1026 x 872 - 701K

Here's my newest rendered just last night. I gave our hero a weapon, due to the fact that who knows what's on the other side of that door he's about to open.

Funny...I had the same thought with your prior image.

I've cracked the door, and added a companion checking his gear. All we know is there seems to be power on the other side of the door.

Love the way the story is shaping!  Couple of suggestions:

I understand that the companion is in the corner for protection, but perhaps if you move him towards us just a smidge?  Both characters are right up against the door and it may offer some artistic variety.

Add a point light to bring a little human skin color to the companion's face.  Perhaps there is a light coming from his gear to accommodate this.  On that same thought, contrasting colored lights on their armor/gear will help break up the redness of the scene and add its own drama. 

The light coming from the crack is bright white - so I'm assuming that when they open the door they will be blinded.  Perhaps ask yourself the question as to what's causing that light (and let us viewers guess).  What might be fun and add depth would be to create a plane beyond the door with a simple light texture and shine colored lights on it - maybe change the ambient surface to white.  Add some light and dark - that will make the light coming from the crack more dynamic. 

edited February 2016

Lighting Blooper #2.

This time it's coming from the horizontal cross beam in the lamp.  I will need to add a point light by his face to counter the shadow blindfold and soften the armband shadow on his arm. 

Chess lighting blooper 2.jpg
    693 x 462 - 180K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • Chohole said:

Just a quick note for New Users.  Renders which are going to be entered into the contest need to be posted to the Contest first, before they are posted elsewhere.

A reminder from the Rules

Chohole said:

8. Please enter images created specifically for this contest and not previously available for public viewing.

Okay, I checked my timestamps and my image was actaully started back in September, but my progress stalled shortly thereafter.  Although I have produced other images with the subject on a black or other plain monochromatic background (see my avatar image), the image above has never been posted on any gallery nor in any thread.

If this violates the rules (or even the spirit of them) of this contest, I will either create another image or work this one offline from this contest.  Prizes don't matter to me anyway.  I care far more about building all of my skills in 3D art, and as I said in my prior thread, lighting is maybe my weakest.

Aside from the eligibility/ineligibility question, I'd rather not take up anybody's valuable time in this contest thread on a work in progress that would/should be disqualified anyway, so I will wait for a judgment call from others before I respond to the questions/posts from the folks above (which are MUCH appreciated, by the way, and yes there is a backstory to this image).

Thank you!

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

So...I don't understand how this scene is lit.  I mean...I obviously did it, but can't really get a handle on what's going on.  I didn't add any lights, just used the sea and sky from http://www.daz3d.com/sea-scapes.

I am assuming it's Image Based Lighting.  Is it using the Uberenvironment2 feature?

I figured out how to adjust the sea to get waves rolling in the right direction. Couldn't figure out how to make them a little bigger though.  I figured out how to rotate the sky.  Also rotated the sun to adjust the shadow on the lighthouse.

There are obvious lighting problems, but I have no idea how to fix them.  For example, the dark area in the water.  I have no idea what is causing that.  I thought the "sun" had to be in that direction (behind the ship)  to cast the lighthouse shadow. If anything, the reflection in the water should be brighter.

Also, there is a horizon line problem.  It looks like a black line going completely across the horizon.

homecoming1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited February 2016
    Linwelly said:

Yah that lock is a problem. I am gonna change her styling and see if i can get it to laydown. As far as the heels it was mistake i was working with that model in another render and saved her with the heels on...i am working on fixing.

Daniel

Check as well on the shadows of the window shutters, from the angle the  light has at the moment I would ecpect some of the striped shadow on her leg. As well there is a refelction of the light /shadow from the window on the side wall, that seems a bit much.

As far as the spillage i figured that one out it was because i didnt have a roof on the room so the light was spilling over the wall. As far as the shadow of the blinds i thought that as well but it has to do with where the light source is and how high the window is and where the bed is in relation to the window i printed my scene view so you could see what i was talking about. That small sphere up on the right is the light coming thru the window. And the reason its so far away is because otherwise the shadow from the blinds is too hard. I put it that far away to soften them up.

Daniel

Example.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 294K
    Post edited by D.Robinson on
    dracorn said:

Lighting Blooper #2.

This time it's coming from the horizontal cross beam in the lamp.  I will need to add a point light by his face to counter the shadow blindfold and soften the armband shadow on his arm. 

You could select the lamp (the solid material of it) and in the parameter settings set it to cast no shadows, which will in turn kill all the shadow effects, ist a trade of but maybe worth trying for a spot render

Chohole said:

Just a quick note for New Users.  Renders which are going to be entered into the contest need to be posted to the Contest first, before they are posted elsewhere.

Chohole said:

8. Please enter images created specifically for this contest and not previously available for public viewing.

Okay, I checked my timestamps and my image was actaully started back in September, but my progress stalled shortly thereafter.  Although I have produced other images with the subject on a black or other plain monochromatic background (see my avatar image), the image above has never been posted on any gallery nor in any thread.

If this violates the rules (or even the spirit of them) of this contest, I will either create another image or work this one offline from this contest.  Prizes don't matter to me anyway.  I care far more about building all of my skills in 3D art, and as I said in my prior thread, lighting is maybe my weakest.

Aside from the eligibility/ineligibility question, I'd rather not take up anybody's valuable time in this contest thread on a work in progress that would/should be disqualified anyway, so I will wait for a judgment call from others before I respond to the questions/posts from the folks above (which are MUCH appreciated, by the way, and yes there is a backstory to this image).

Thank you!

Sub, I'm confused, I don't see any image from you entered in the WIPS? (I might have not found it but I looked through all posts) There is no problem with posting renders in the WIP part that have been published, what Cho meant is that renders that are supposed to join the contest shouldn't be posted elsewhere (aside from the WIP thread). Are you sure this was adressed to you?

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited February 2016
    Linwelly said:
    Chohole said:

Chohole said:

Thank you!

Sub, I'm confused, I don't see any image from you entered in the WIPS? (I might have not found it but I looked through all posts) There is no problem with posting renders in the WIP part that have been published, what Cho meant is that renders that are supposed to join the contest shouldn't be posted elsewhere (aside from the WIP thread). Are you sure this was adressed to you?

I'm REALLY confused now.  I thought this WAS the WIP thread.  surprise

Edit:  I don't know if it was addressed to me, but it was a reminder so I went to check.  Honesty is the best policy, yes?

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
    dHandle said:

So...I don't understand how this scene is lit.  I mean...I obviously did it, but can't really get a handle on what's going on.  I didn't add any lights, just used the sea and sky from http://www.daz3d.com/sea-scapes.

I am assuming it's Image Based Lighting.  Is it using the Uberenvironment2 feature?

I figured out how to adjust the sea to get waves rolling in the right direction. Couldn't figure out how to make them a little bigger though.  I figured out how to rotate the sky.  Also rotated the sun to adjust the shadow on the lighthouse.

There are obvious lighting problems, but I have no idea how to fix them.  For example, the dark area in the water.  I have no idea what is causing that.  I thought the "sun" had to be in that direction (behind the ship)  to cast the lighthouse shadow. If anything, the reflection in the water should be brighter.

Also, there is a horizon line problem.  It looks like a black line going completely across the horizon.

What renderer are you using? Iray comes with some lights in the ska by default, and even a scene in 3dlight can be rendered without any lights. Somewhere on your scene there should be a dropdown menue where you can select the camera or choos to use the perspective view to look at your scene. there you can select the view from the lights in your scene as well, if there are lights. You can find lights as well in your scene tab ab in the viewport Lights and cameras. I would expect the Sun you chose to move contains a light but as you moved it below the horizon light setting might be somewhat off.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited February 2016

Next iteration. Removed the heels. I changed her shorts because when i moved her leg to get her foot on the bed after heel removal they were bunching up on her leg weirdly. Added a ceiling plane to remove light spillage onto the wall. Also lightend up her shirt so it wasnt blending into the shadows. Also fixed her errant lock of hair

Daniel

sleepless night 2.jpg
    2048 x 1638 - 2M
    Post edited by D.Robinson on
    edited February 2016

Sorry, Linwelly, I should have mentioned that this is a 3Dlight render.

I have a default camera load every time I start a new project, but I didn't notice the other "light" in there.  It's the "sun".  Also, there is a twirl down on the sky that shows another one;  "GI".  (possibly 'global illumination'?)

Looking closer, the GI light looks like AoA's ambient light. Any idea what that one is?  Same icon when I try to move it.  The sun is a distant light.  So...I might be able to delete these, and start over with my own setup.

Cool!  That clears that up..  Now...how to fix the dark area on the ocean, and the horizon.  I have a couple ideas! 

Thanks!

"D"

Post edited by dHandle on
  • SiotradSiotrad Posts: 110

Are you realy serious ?????

Tell me where, on my picture you could see some pubic hair or aureola ????

This is nonsense

Linwelly said:
    Chohole said:

Chohole said:

Thank you!

Edit:  I don't know if it was addressed to me, but it was a reminder so I went to check.  Honesty is the best policy, yes?

Yes this is the WIP, so no worries, now where is your render?laugh

Found it!  It's the UberEnvironment2 light!

See there!  I know more than I thought!  I just need to connect the dots.  I have never worked with UE2 at all...barely even knew it was available all this time.  But I've had AoA's Advanced Light set for maybe a year and a half.  (not at all proficient at it, but still...)

So UE2 is like AoA's Advanced Ambient Light.  Got it...

dHandle said:

Sorry, Linwelly, I should have mentioned that this is a 3Dlight render.

I have a default camera load every time I start a new project, but I didn't notice the other "light" in there.  It's the "sun".  Also, there is a twirl down on the sky that shows another one;  "GI".  (possibly 'global illumination'?)

Looking closer, the GI light looks like AoA's ambient light. Any idea what that one is?  Same icon when I try to move it.  The sun is a distant light.  So...I might be able to delete these, and start over with my own setup.

Cool!  That clears that up..  Now...how to fix the dark area on the ocean, and the horizon.  I have a couple ideas! 

Thanks!

"D"

You certainly can remove the given lights but I would advise to play around with them a bit as I found that combination of light pretty useful for outdoor lights. You are right the GI stand for Global illumination and is basically what you can create yourself by an UE2 and a s that you can't move it around. Not long ago I asked about that one in the 3delight Lab thread and here is a link to the very useful answer I got: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/988581/#Comment_988581

The GI will slow down your render time.

• Siotrad said:

Are you realy serious ?????

Tell me where, on my picture you could see some pubic hair or aureola ????

This is nonsense

I saw it because it appeared right around the time of my post last night/this morning.  Her hair came down her front, but stopped over "that spot", making it unclear what was head hair and what was "other".  And maybe the hand pulling the panies away was a bit too much too, I don't know.

What I do know is that TOS is plainly worded, and I did think last night that your image would get pulled.  My hunch was right.

I hope you don't let being offended prevent you from competing with your scene.  With some small changes, your image probably would meet TOS and give you a chance to participate here and improve the lighting.  I did find the image too dark and too low-contrast, which I see as a common problem in the gallery.  Lighting is SO important and yet so many people don't give it the attention that it needs.  And isn't that the main goal for this contest; to learn some skills for proper lighting? 

Besides, what you do here is not like putting a "write-protect" sticker on your work.  After the contest, you could always remove the TOS-required adjustments in pose and clothing, and then without hardly any effort at all, you have your original artistic intent back, but with better lighting; perfect for a DA presentation.

I think this is an excellent chance for us to improve our skills.  Like a school, we just have to follow some basic rules here; be considerate, help Vicki keep her clothes on, and turn in your work on time if you want to be considered for a prize.  Unlike a school, we don't get in trouble for working together and we can learn a lot without having to take any tests.  Isn't that awesome?  laugh

The best part is that when it's all over, our skills are transferrable for display in any galleries/venues; not just here.

I hope you reconsider; I'd really like to see how that image could turn out.

edited February 2016

Oh man, Linwelly!  I have been reading through that 3Delight Laboratory Thread too.  It would have taken me a year to get to page 41!

Thanks for posting that link.

I'm pretty sure what happened is that the creator renamed the UE2 light "GI".  I loaded both side by side, and I'm fairly sure they were identical.

Oh, and you can move a UE2 light around.  I'm sure it's an advanced setting thing, where you can have more than one of them in a scene, and have the  parameters set differently so objects react differently.

(my render time for that scene was about 60 seconds.)

: )

Post edited by dHandle on
  • I'm not having much success in other forums, so I thought I'd try here,  I'm trying to use Light Dome Pro-R in DAZ Studio 4.9.  The skydome, lights and camera seem to load fine, but when I try to start the render script it always fails claiming that it can't find the variable 'sceneLights'. Help?

Just popping in briefly.  You guys have been busy this month.  I don't know how active I'll be this month as I have some deadlines to meet that are non DS related.

WhichWay Janus -  First let me say that I'm not running DS 4.9 so I don't know if there is some incompatibility with Light Dome Pro-R or if it is some other problem.  I can tell you that this is a 3Delight product and not Iray.  It works on my setup and has since I installed it circa DS 4.6 or 4.7 (I don't remember which I had installed at the time of purchase).  I've never had any problems with it.  If you can give me more details about which skydome material you are using and maybe a screenshot of what you are doing, I might be able to help you out.  Your screenshot should have the tabs open so I can see what loaded so I can tell if anything is missing.  So, scene tab would be helpful and perhaps Light tab with SunLight selected as that should also bring up four Preview Lights.  I should be able to duplicate whatever you are trying to setup within Light Dome to see if I have the same problems in 4.8.  If not, then it might be a 4.9 issue or something may have gone wrong with the install?  Uninstalling and reinstalling might help if it is a missing light issue.

• Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    Chohole said:

Chohole said:

Thank you!

On page 3 of this thread; about 1/3 of the way down.  With this forum software I don't know how to compose a link to take you straight to it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    Chohole said:

Chohole said:

Thank you!

I am glad you asked that,  as I was totally confused.

Subtropic Pixel  To make a link to take you to a specific post just click on the Date/time stamp below the avatar on the post in question

dHandle said:

Oh man, Linwelly!  I have been reading through that 3Delight Laboratory Thread too.  It would have taken me a year to get to page 41!

Thanks for posting that link.

I'm pretty sure what happened is that the creator renamed the UE2 light "GI".  I loaded both side by side, and I'm fairly sure they were identical.

Oh, and you can move a UE2 light around.  I'm sure it's an advanced setting thing, where you can have more than one of them in a scene, and have the  parameters set differently so objects react differently.

(my render time for that scene was about 60 seconds.)

: )

well yes you can move the location the item in you scene is placed but it doesnt affect the props in your scene any different if you center it or put it on the side. If I use the UE2 light i usially scale them down to a minimal orb so I dont have that annoying sphere wall in my face ever time. And yes you can put up two of them with different settings but you can üut the right on top of each other, doesn't matter. If you found a possiblity to make them active only on certain things, please post it here so I can learn. And, probably the AoA gives you additional options, I don't have those.

Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    Chohole said:

Chohole said:

Thank you!

On page 3 of this thread; about 1/3 of the way down.  With this forum software I don't know how to compose a link to take you straight to it.

ok, finally found it, for starters i would think to give her a backdrop or something of that sort, its easier to figure out the lights. Another not directly light related thing is that your probaly either turn the hand with the gun the direction she is looking or the other war round. like this it a bit weird to me As I'm not really familiar with Iray, I call others in to comment on this but I have the impression, its a bit overexposed and the shadows are to weak.

• dracorn said:

0This is my first share, hope you like it :)

All Props are freebie's, 

Scene -

Genesis 2 Female (Siren Outfit, ToublouseHair, *Cybera Mage Bracers.

Genesis 2 Female (CharmHair, *TinaArmStrong Suit, *Arki NeolindaVeil

Backdrop and Envrionment IBL Lighting *environment_fantasy_forest_by_pumax001

Scene Composit 4 Renders using 1-2 spot lights with and without IBL, images overlayed, post work in Gimp to remove excess boundries between overlays.

I did want to do more work on this, but returning to Daz4.9 today and loading the scene something screwy happen with aspect ratio and I couldnt get DAZ to render out the same images.

Anyways, here it is .....

< -- Hi-Res Image - Popup New Window

Nice concept.  It's always tricky to match the lighting of your figure with a background image.  The problem here could be your background image - it seems a little flat, and its resolution doesn't match your figure.  You could take a look at free images from Pixabay.  Some of those have adequate resolution so as not to appear grainy.  Perhaps you can find an image that seems more in the distance from her which will reduce that flat look.  The fact that you have the bottom of her body cut off is a great way to show there is no ground. 

I like your accent lighting and the way the green bounces off her hand and her knee.  I don't care much for the red glow on her right shoulder - it seems more like a bad lens flare.  Perhaps consider a different color?  What is the red... is it magic?  However the subtle red accent light on her arms is a nice touch and contrasts well with the green.

Thanks for the kind review,

I will look into a new image, although that paticular image should have been large enough, I prolly just used it worng.. playing with the difference's in using a background, vrs plane with image.. I couldnt get the view to set the way I wanted it, so I just went for the ligh effect from it. 

About the red glow, lol...  I have been beating myself up over that.. I actually rendered out several images to get the lighting right, and pieced them back together, then I noticed that I actually have the lighting reversed on the arms... the glow was suppose to be on the other side, and perhaps yellow.. that was my first attempt at using firefly... 

Notes taken, I will check for a new image, if I cant work out the exsiting one, and adjust lighting on the arm to correct it, red to either green or yellow, or to the light type of a new background.. 

thanks again :)

• Axed

Daz studio 4.9 & Reality/Lux render

Not sure where I am going with this.  Lighting seems to need more drama...maybe spotlights?

Axed.jpg
    1161 x 875 - 309K
  • Chohole said:
    Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:
    Chohole said:

Chohole said:

Thank you!

I am glad you asked that,  as I was totally confused.

Subtropic Pixel  To make a link to take you to a specific post just click on the Date/time stamp below the avatar on the post in question

Thank you Chohole, but that didn't work.  Clicking on the date/time stamp below my avatar (in the post I want to link to) didn't seem to do anything, and there was nothing new in my Windows clipboard for pasting in the later post.