Super Save "Super Save Your Scenes" (Commercial)

Comments

• Just my two cents

How quickly we forget,

Incremental saving has been available, for free for almost 3 years, and works upto the last 4.8 build. haven't tried in 4.9 yet, too many projects that i can't switch just yet.

Thanks pontari(msorrels on the forum) for that plugin(http://www.pontari.com/Products/DazStudio/RecentFiles/)

That one has some functionality that this doesn't.

There are two main questions i have before considering this product.

First, are txt files for comments created every time you do an incremental save if you did that at the first?

If that's the case then that's alot of wasted hard drive space.

Second, when doing the incremental save does it render the two types of images if you did that on the first one?

in this case wasted processor cycles, especially with IRAY if you're not running cuda and have the settings fairly high. i don't actually render on my workstation so the lag in save to being able to work again would be a no go.

the other problem i see is that due to my personal method of saving incrementally at weird camera angles the resulting images will be pretty much useless.

just my thoughts and questions.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,057
    edited March 2016

Just my two cents

How quickly we forget,

Incremental saving has been available, for free for almost 3 years, and works upto the last 4.8 build. haven't tried in 4.9 yet, too many projects that i can't switch just yet.

Thanks pontari(msorrels on the forum) for that plugin(http://www.pontari.com/Products/DazStudio/RecentFiles/)

First, are txt files for comments created every time you do an incremental save if you did that at the first?

Second, when doing the incremental save does it render the two types of images if you did that on the first one?

in this case wasted processor cycles, especially with IRAY if you're not running cuda and have the settings fairly high. i don't actually render on my workstation so the lag in save to being able to work again would be a no go.

the other problem i see is that due to my personal method of saving incrementally at weird camera angles the resulting images will be pretty much useless.

Hello,

indeed my scripts have more functionalities.

1. To answer your questions concerning the comment files :

for incremental save pro : Your comment txt files will be saved ONLY if you write something in the comment box included for this. No txt file is saved if you write nothing.

for save over pro : when existing, previous comments will be loaded in the comments box. New txt comments will be saved over previous one ONLY if you update them. If there was not comment of course new txt box will be saved only if you want to write something new in the comment box.

This means YOU DECIDE when you save comments.

So there is no waste of space on the hard drive.

2. To answer your questions concerning the rendered thumbs and tips :

Rendering them is a CHOICE. By default, this is not rendered. If you want to render them, you have to check respectively the check boxes asking to render thumb, and or to render tip. In the documentation I give the advice to lower the max samples of the render until you render the final image. You can go down to 100 samples for thumbs (91x91) and tips (256x256 pixels), this way it takes only a few seconds to render. Most of the times, I don't render thumb and tips. I render thumb when I'm at a key or interesting stage of development, and tip when I am at even more interesting points of development. BUT if you don't check the boxes, then you will not render.

This means YOU DECIDE when you render.

I have spent a lot of time thinking of the interfaces so that they are as efficient as possible. Finally security procedures have also been included for saving incrementally scripts, giving you the choice of what you want to do if the new incremented filename already exists (which may happen if you reverted back to a previous version of the scene). Once again YOU DECIDE what you do then (overwrite, cancel, give a new name).

... In brief : YOU DECIDE.

PS : you also decide when you want to read the comments for the scene name and the history of comments for the same "scene family name"

:=)

Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • Just my two cents

How quickly we forget,

Hello,

indeed my scripts have more functionalities.

1. To answer your questions concerning the comment files :

for incremental save pro : Your comment txt files will be saved ONLY if you write something in the comment box included for this. No txt file is saved if you write nothing.

for save over pro : when existing, previous comments will be loaded in the comments box. New txt comments will be saved over previous one ONLY if you update them. If there was not comment of course new txt box will be saved only if you want to write something new in the comment box.

This means YOU DECIDE when you save comments.

So there is no waste of space on the hard drive.

2. To answer your questions concerning the rendered thumbs and tips :

Rendering them is a CHOICE. By default, this is not rendered. If you want to render them, you have to check respectively the check boxes asking to render thumb, and or to render tip. In the documentation I give the advice to lower the max samples of the render until you render the final image. You can go down to 100 samples for thumbs (91x91) and tips (256x256 pixels), this way it takes only a few seconds to render. Most of the times, I don't render thumb and tips. I render thumb when I'm at a key or interesting stage of development, and tip when I am at even more interesting points of development. BUT if you don't check the boxes, then you will not render.

This means YOU DECIDE when you render.

I have spent a lot of time thinking of the interfaces so that they are as efficient as possible. Finally security procedures have also been included for saving incrementally scripts, giving you the choice of what you want to do if the new incremented filename already exists (which may happen if you reverted back to a previous version of the scene). Once again YOU DECIDE what you do then (overwrite, cancel, give a new name).

... In brief : YOU DECIDE.

PS : you also decide when you want to read the comments for the scene name and the history of comments for the same "scene family name"

:=)

ok it's manual operation for the thumbs and comments when saving.

cool, i think the two products will compliment each other nicely in my current workflow

Nice to hear that :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,178
    edited March 2016

I ran into strange problem.

I have my render settings set to Dimension Preset = Full HD[FHD] 1080p (16:9, 1920 x 1080). When I use Save Over Pro and tell it to make the thumb and tip, they get rendered at full 1920 by 1080 1000 x 1834, not the 91x91 and 256x256. I am rendering from the HLE Infinity Front Camera that is part of the Selfie Stick and Smart Phone. Do you have any idea why it can't change the dimensions? I haven't had that problem before.

Edit: I think I figured it out already. The HLE Infinity Front Camera parameters set the Pixel Size to 1000 x 1834 and have Constrain Proportions On. I've never seen a cmaera that used these parameters before, but that is how this product loads the camera that represents what the smart phone camera can see. So, I don't know if there is any way for you to get around this.

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

I ran into strange problem.

I have my render settings set to Dimension Preset = Full HD[FHD] 1080p (16:9, 1920 x 1080). When I use Save Over Pro and tell it to make the thumb and tip, they get rendered at full 1920 by 1080 1000 x 1834, not the 91x91 and 256x256. I am rendering from the HLE Infinity Front Camera that is part of the Selfie Stick and Smart Phone. Do you have any idea why it can't change the dimensions? I haven't had that problem before.

Edit: I think I figured it out already. The HLE Infinity Front Camera parameters set the Pixel Size to 1000 x 1834 and have Constrain Proportions On. I've never seen a cmaera that used these parameters before, but that is how this product loads the camera that represents what the smart phone camera can see. So, I don't know if there is any way for you to get around this.

Ok I had already met the same issue when the render settings were "Active viewport". I solved it, and I think I'll solve it the same way with the aspect ratio. I let you know. (just gotta find the variable names, sometimes not obvious!)

Right, I spent some time on this and in the next update you will have :

- Now the files saved this way will also be included in the Smart Content/Saved Files/Local User/Scenes. The only drawback is that with save over pro, the image for the thumb in the content library will not be refreshed as long as you don't restart Daz Studio. I thank here Rob for showing me the right way to the two lines of code allowing that!

- Now if a duf.png existed in the content library, it will be automatically removed when you "Save Over Pro", and when you "Save Incrementally".

- For your issue in the thumb size, I found that the issue does not come from the render settings, but from the "use local dimension" option in the camera that you are using. It is a camera setting, not a render setting issue. I'm gonna have a look if I can catch the current camera, store this setting, set it to off, and restore it after rendering. I have never played with camera, I'm not sure how to do this. In the meatime, the only solution to have the right thumb option is to set this camera setting to off.

• HatBHatB Posts: 77

I love the thumbnail save with the current engine. Now I can see the hdri backgrounds I used for an iray render when previously I only saw a gräy background.

HatB said:

I love the thumbnail save with the current engine. Now I can see the hdri backgrounds I used for an iray render when previously I only saw a gräy background.

Thanks a lot for this feedback. Indeed it also annoyed me before, when I could not see the background, or the shaders changes. :) So I'm happy you like this enhancement!

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    HatB said:

Thanks a lot for this feedback. Indeed it also annoyed me before, when I could not see the background, or the shaders changes. :) So I'm happy you like this enhancement!

Have to blame for the time spent resaving ALL my savesd scenes to get this beautifull scene thumbnails ;)

One thing I realised - I often use DraagonStorms "Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB", to render the scenes I created in the evening, overnight - is

the "original" thumbnails are named IMAGNAME.duf.jpg and can easyly be selected inside "Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB"

Super Save creates Thumbnails named IMAGNAME.jpg which are invisible to the Batch-Render script.

So its no problem for me to rename them manually, I wanted to ask If you could consider to change the naming of the Thumbnail in case you do an update of your script?

edited March 2016
    HoMart said:
    HatB said:

Have to blame for the time spent resaving ALL my savesd scenes to get this beautifull scene thumbnails ;)

One thing I realised - I often use DraagonStorms "Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB", to render the scenes I created in the evening, overnight - is

the "original" thumbnails are named IMAGNAME.duf.jpg and can easyly be selected inside "Batch Render for DAZ Studio 4 and RIB"

Super Save creates Thumbnails named IMAGNAME.jpg which are invisible to the Batch-Render script.

So its no problem for me to rename them manually, I wanted to ask If you could consider to change the naming of the Thumbnail in case you do an update of your script?

That is an interesting suggestion.  Naming the thumbnail .duf.png would resolve the problem I had when the "super save over" thumbnail wouldn't show up when a previous .duf.png had been created by the original DAZ save.

Post edited by barbult on
  • FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

This is such a great tool. I love being able to save comments and being able to save incrementally without having to write a new name each time. 

• When I render the thumbnails, DAZ does not put the "scene" text with red background strip on the icons in the Content Library. Minor issue, but wondering if that can be fixed?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    nicstt said:

You are a goddess.

lol ! hmhmhm... Well... Not really... But my little finger tells me it was maybe an utility you were expecting ?!

Awesome. I would love to be able to put comments to my renders.  

Thanks! Well indeed with this product you save comments with your scenes, but not with your renders (well you render thumb and tip, but their sizes are fixed). I had not thought yet of the "Super Render", but now that you mention it, saving comments with renders could be a helpful feature, I am also often lost in my rendered images. I'll think about that.

This looks fantastic.  Do you have an estimated release date? 

Honnestly not at all. It is already tested by Daz and ready, but I have not specifically asked it to be released for March Madness (I have another product planned for MM). But sometimes, even if I don't ask, since the product is ready, they release it anyway during a special event. It's "a surprise". So either it will be in March, or early April I guess.

KurzonDax said:

My money and my sanity now belong to you, V3D.  I will even throw in my first-born son, and a 10 year old cat.  You are amazing!!!

ROFL, and thanks!

Hurray!!! I have a disciple!!! I'm ready now to create the "V3D cult"!!!! Well, you can leave your first born son and 10 year old cat quiet, in my sect, you only have ONE commandement :  "Have fun on Daz Studio".

Ohh a Super Render would be awesome too. I'm a sucker for saving comments to everything ,so I can remember it for a later use or when I post to the gallery. I have papers lying around everywhere with notes to renders and sometimes I forget to write it down thinking "I can do that later" and then if/when later comes I forgot what it was I wanted to write. So I'm definalety voting for a Super Render too :P 

... Now that I'm at the render stage of my next product, I realize that a "Super Render" could be cool indeed. I have to think about that, if I can technically do it or not... (I'm working at scripting but I'm not a pro scripter yet). Before thinking seriously about that I have a project to finish. I'll let you know if I have a solution.

Awesome. And no hurry , I can wait lol. 

Ohh and the Super Save is released yay ...and bought. 

Thanks a lot! I'm finishing something else before thinking of that.

So what you doing next?

... Well since it is almost over, I can speak of it now. It is called "A touch of dirt for Iray". It is a way to add a touch of dirt to anything you want. The presets included will be more focused on people and their outfits, but I have a "controler" allowing to rescale the dirt for larger or smaller elements. I'll soon post a wip about that.

edit : I did this because there are plenty of "apocalyptic" places and no way to fill them with dirty people. And clean people only in their clean outfits, the render has less sense.

In addition to dirt, can we get grease and oil? I'm trying to work on a character who is supposed to be a mechanic, and while her coveralls came with various stains, there's no similar marks on her skin. (or in her hair but that might be more difficult to pull off.)

No it is not that precise. This is a global dirt obtained by blending procedural Perlin noises. Amongs what I would have used for a mechanic, I can share with you some of of my dev img here :

Ah, well that'd at least do to dirty up the base item/figure/random thingie..., then perhaps I can find some way to either use LIE or a geoshell to put on more defined smudges and streaks. :) 

use the LIE editor.

HoMart said:
    HatB said:

Lol! I never had the courage to rerender all my scenes thumbs! (but some of them I should) I already finished the update I was waiting for any further bugs to submit it. I did not plan to rename png in duf.png in this update, but if many people ask that to me I'll do this.

For now in the update to come the .duf.png is removed when the "render thumb" is on. I remember when writing the update, I had begun to make "duf.png" instead of "png" but I had stopped it to delete the duf.png instead. The only issue is that I don't remember why!

This is such a great tool. I love being able to save comments and being able to save incrementally without having to write a new name each time. 

Thanks a lot for this feedback! :) I think it is important to gain time on details like that to have more time to focus "on the scene" only.

When I render the thumbnails, DAZ does not put the "scene" text with red background strip on the icons in the Content Library. Minor issue, but wondering if that can be fixed?

Yes it will be fixed in the update I'm going to submit. I declare the type of the file to be a "scene" so that it both has the tag and enters in the "smart content" user scenes. The update is already written.

• Bought and use Super Save all the time now.

I wonder... would it be useful and possible to make Super Saver detect the render engine used and put the appropriate icon in bottom right/left corner of the rendered thumb image..?

Bought and use Super Save all the time now.

I wonder... would it be useful and possible to make Super Saver detect the render engine used and put the appropriate icon in bottom right/left corner of the rendered thumb image..?

Hi! I use it all the time too XD!

Yes it is probably possible to detect the current render engine. But the icon right/left corner is generally handled by DAZ. It should require to modify the thumb when rendered to include an image "3Delight" or "Iray" in the bottom corner. This is also possible. But I'm not sure a lot of people really need it, and... I already have tons of work of my other projects. Furthermore, I have the impression that 90% or more people know and remember if their scenes were developped with Iray or 3Delight. This is why, even it is basically a nice idea, but I don't plan to do this so far. (except if a lot of people really ask for that specific feature).

• Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am one of the 10% that are totally unorganised wink

lol... Bad luck! Well you can still save with the comment box which render engine you are using for your scene. It will help :)

An update showed up today, but the readme was not updated to indicate what changed. Can you summarize what you changed here, please?

Of course. Sorry about that, it's only my second update and I'm not clear about the procedures.

15/04/2016 update :

1. Now when the scenes are saved, you can see in the content library the little red "scene" sticker that DS will add on them to show they are scenes.

2. Now when the scenes are saved, they are also added in / accessible via the "Smart Content/Local User"

3. Previously there might have been tip and thumb size issues when rendering them with  an active camera using the "use local dimension : ON" option (which is pretty rare). This is now solved.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

hi...

this week i've been using super save (in the save over pro mode) with the current studio beta.  and for some reason, my thumbnails are saving as "filename.png" (the same name my actual renders-to-file have) instead of "filename.duf.png".

any idea how i can fix this?  i can rename my thumbnails manually, but i'd rather not if i don't have to.  :)

j

jardine said:

hi...

this week i've been using super save (in the save over pro mode) with the current studio beta.  and for some reason, my thumbnails are saving as "filename.png" (the same name my actual renders-to-file have) instead of "filename.duf.png".

any idea how i can fix this?  i can rename my thumbnails manually, but i'd rather not if i don't have to.  :)

j

Hi, you are right the save over pro script names the thumbnails 'filename.png'. The type of extension for the thumbs is currently not an available option. I made this choice so that people could make more easily the difference between the scenes with a rendered thumb and the scenes with a "normal" thumb when they browse their computer. I can have a look if I can create a mini script for you renaming your .png as .duf.png, but not right now (I'm presently lost is a huge complex script and I want to focus on that only). In the meantime, you can use the "rename master" freeware which makes miracles for me, and which allows to batch process the names of as many files as you want very efficiently (there you will have to say that all your .png must be replaced by .duf.png). Otherwise the other solution is to save the images your scene in a subfolder instead of the main folder. But I would rather use rename master as a first intention.

thank you, V3D.  :)

glad to hear you're working on another script product.  you always make great ones. 

i do have a good batch rename app already; i'll just use it.  no worries.

j

jardine said:

thank you, V3D.  :)

glad to hear you're working on another script product.  you always make great ones. 

i do have a good batch rename app already; i'll just use it.  no worries.

j

Thanks for your understanding!  I'm happy you can wait to see if I find something.

Yes, I began to create a non script product (I wanted to make a "script break"), and met some productivity issues. So finally, I decided to create a new script to solve them. (telling to myselft that I'm probably not the only one to need this script support). I don't know how long it will take before I reach the end of this one... Very complicated for me to organise, with a lot of interactions between many functions and variabes and conditions. Very easy to make mistakes. I must keep my ideas clear, this is why I don't want to do anything else as long as its behavior is not more stable.

hi again, V3D...

if you ever decide to update this wonderful script, would you consider adding an option to generate 512 x 512 .tip thumbnails to the Super Save Over module? 

it's a great size for previewing the differences between displacement map effects.  or HD morphs. 

:)

j

jardine said:

hi again, V3D...

if you ever decide to update this wonderful script, would you consider adding an option to generate 512 x 512 .tip thumbnails to the Super Save Over module? 

it's a great size for previewing the differences between displacement map effects.  or HD morphs. 

:)

j

Ok, if I make an update, I'll have a look if I can add an easy 512 x 512 .tip.png.

No update planned in the short term but I will remember that.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

If there were an update, there's something that's bugged me I'd like to see addressed.

Let's say I have a scene file MyScene.duf.  I use Super Save and get MyScene_001.duf.   If I open MyScene.duf again and try to use Super Save to save it, it tells me that MyScene_001.duf exists, and that I have to save my scene with a different name if I don't want to overwrite that file.  This has limited my use of Super Save, because if I can't link the new saved file to MyScene_001.duf, there's little advantage to be had.

Sevrin said:

If there were an update, there's something that's bugged me I'd like to see addressed.

Let's say I have a scene file MyScene.duf.  I use Super Save and get MyScene_001.duf.   If I open MyScene.duf again and try to use Super Save to save it, it tells me that MyScene_001.duf exists, and that I have to save my scene with a different name if I don't want to overwrite that file.  This has limited my use of Super Save, because if I can't link the new saved file to MyScene_001.duf, there's little advantage to be had.

That's strange because normally in this case you are supposed to have a popup (I join here). In your case, you reloaded "Myscene" and want to save incremenetally, the script sees it already exists, and gives you several options: you are not forced to rename your scene, you just have to click on the "Save And Overwrite Existing File Anyway", the top button, and the MyScene_001.duf of your example is created (replacing the one you created before) as the "incremental save" of your current scene. Renaming is just one of the options. This popup is a necessary step to prevent people from overwritting their incremental saves if they don't want to, but if they want to do so, they just have this button to click.

Or maybe I did not understood well your question? Or maybe it belongs to an update you don't have? Do you see this popup? Or you don't want this popup and overwrite without warning?

warning message.JPG
    424 x 246 - 25K