Super Save "Super Save Your Scenes" (Commercial)

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Sevrin said:

If there were an update, there's something that's bugged me I'd like to see addressed.

Let's say I have a scene file MyScene.duf.  I use Super Save and get MyScene_001.duf.   If I open MyScene.duf again and try to use Super Save to save it, it tells me that MyScene_001.duf exists, and that I have to save my scene with a different name if I don't want to overwrite that file.  This has limited my use of Super Save, because if I can't link the new saved file to MyScene_001.duf, there's little advantage to be had.

That's strange because normally in this case you are supposed to have a popup (I join here). In your case, you reloaded "Myscene" and want to save incremenetally, the script sees it already exists, and gives you several options: you are not forced to rename your scene, you just have to click on the "Save And Overwrite Existing File Anyway", the top button, and the MyScene_001.duf of your example is created (replacing the one you created before) as the "incremental save" of your current scene. Renaming is just one of the options. This popup is a necessary step to prevent people from overwritting their incremental saves if they don't want to, but if they want to do so, they just have this button to click.

Or maybe I did not understood well your question? Or maybe it belongs to an update you don't have? Do you see this popup? Or you don't want this popup and overwrite without warning?

My point is that I don't want to overwrite my previous MyScene_001.duf.  I'd much prefer the opportunity to move on to MyScene_00n+a.duf, where n is the highest number saved.  The script allows for a text file to be saved along with the series, so it would be nice if that text file kept a record of what's been saved.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,057

Ohh! Now I understand. You want the script to automatically search for the next available increment. Sorry I had not anticipated this request, since it is not the way I use it, but sounds an interesting idea. This is why I wrote this, and it works.

So the updates I made yesterday night and this morning are the following ones (see images):

1. now when the "next" incremental name already exists, the "new second button" allows you to use the "smallest incremental name available for your scene" instead (it will look for the smallest unused increment and if it finds it, it uses it, or if it reaches 999 (no more free increment), you have then a popup warning you... But 999 versions of a same scene should be enough I hope).

2. When you are in the "pro" versions of save over or save incremental, you now have 3 choices of size when you decide to render your tip, located in a dropdown menu : 256 x 256, 512 x 512, 1024 x 1024. It works too.

I won't submit immediately the update because I want to test (use) it a few days to make sure everthing is ok (were ok during update dev, but one never knows), but I'll submit the update soon. Sevrin & jardine, if you have an urgent need of these updates, feel free to PM me!

new option free incremented name.JPG
    414 x 277 - 26K
    new options for tip size.JPG
    335 x 394 - 28K

Ohh! Now I understand. You want the script to automatically search for the next available increment. Sorry I had not anticipated this request, since it is not the way I use it, but sounds an interesting idea. This is why I wrote this, and it works.

So the updates I made yesterday night and this morning are the following ones (see images):

1. now when the "next" incremental name already exists, the "new second button" allows you to use the "smallest incremental name available for your scene" instead (it will look for the smallest unused increment and if it finds it, it uses it, or if it reaches 999 (no more free increment), you have then a popup warning you... But 999 versions of a same scene should be enough I hope).

2. When you are in the "pro" versions of save over or save incremental, you now have 3 choices of size when you decide to render your tip, located in a dropdown menu : 256 x 256, 512 x 512, 1024 x 1024. It works too.

I won't submit immediately the update because I want to test (use) it a few days to make sure everthing is ok (were ok during update dev, but one never knows), but I'll submit the update soon. Sevrin & jardine, if you have an urgent need of these updates, feel free to PM me!

Wow!  Thank you for this.  I'll look forward to the update. heart

Sevrin said:

Wow!  Thank you for this.  I'll look forward to the update. heart

You're welcome. Well I'll think I'll submit the update soon. I had initially remarked issues for 3delight thumb rendering, but finally, when I looked deeper, it was the 3delight renderer that did not work for my DS, not because of my script, but all my renders where anyway empty. I managed to handle this by adding a figure in the scene (initially I saved only one primitive), and now the issue in my DS is gone. So... almost good to go...

Update was submitted with the features already mentionned:

- Now if an incremental name is already used, the scripts offers the additional option to find and use the smallest free increment number

- Now you can choose, for save over pro or save incremental pro, when you check the box to render the tip, the size of your tip (256x256, 512x512 or 1024x1024)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Thanks so much for doing this update - this tool is essential to my workflow and sanity!

:^)

--ms

Thanks a lot. I hope the update will be tested soon. For now it is not live in store yet, well, as far as I know (I don't always update my own products since I use my own source code in general).

I was informed the update is now live in store. I hope you'll enjoy the new features!

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,700

Downloaded the update. That was a feature that I also wanted. Thanks for adding it.

You're welcome. I simply had not thought of it before, but yes, these were good ideas you gave to me!

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66

Hi V3D,

Just picked up your Super Save script as it appears it was designed just for me!  I'm also a happy customer of several of your skin conversion products.

Besides being short on time I'm also somewhat of a perfectionist - a bad combination to be sure.  As such I'd like to propose a couple of changes/enhancements:

1)  Could you reduce the largest tip file dimensions from 1024x to the DS max of 853x?  This is a little known undocumented dimension that I arrived at through observation of many tip file renders.  Regardless of how big your tip file is, DS will only display it at a maximum 853x in the longest dimension and auto scales it down to maintain that maximum.  This scaling is quite awful  (excessive edge sharpening it appears) as the attached image shows (cropped screen grabs of the displayed tip files).  BTW, this behavior also happens with thumbnail files that exceed 91x91, DS scales them down.  The scaling artifacts are particularly noticable with text.

2)  I make large tip files for all my creations, most of which are characters.  For character scene-subsets I much prefer a potrait ratio for the tip files.  It would be great to have the option to specify an aspect ratio or maybe simply use the current "Aspect Ratio (global)"  parameter in the Render Settings pane.

Finally, I've noticed that the incremental filenames are not respecting the case of the original filename - everything is lower case.  Your promo pics did not show this behavior.  I'm still using 4.10 on Windows 10 so I don't know if it's just me.

Cheers!

DS tip scaling example.png
    1706 x 853 - 795K

hi Gary,

thanks for the feedback. I will answer on all your points, not on the order you posted them. First I'm super astonished that you have a lower case for the name. I tested this morning and had a look at the code of the incremental scripts, and I have no lower case conversion in the code, and in my version of Daz Studio (the latest), with scene where I mixed upper and lowercase, and upper cases and lower cases are perfectly respected. The only solution I see is that one of the DS function I call in my script converts the name to lower case, but this is not something on which I can act if it is a process internal to Daz Studio.

For the 853 pixels, I did not know. I see the DS rescale issue on your image indeed. The question I need to ask to Daz before considering an update with this size as an additional option is to know if it is related to Daz Studio, or to the screen of the user, or something else. Because it seems to me that with some versions of DS, manage to have huge tips, but I'm not totally sure (but not with the one I'm using). This is not a big update to make, but I'd like to be sure I add the right dimensions. For the aspect ratio this is possible too even if this is a bit more difficult to do knowing how my script is made, I'll have to test.

If there is an update (I think there will be, but this is not short term, because the priority is on all the Genesis 8.1 udpates first and there are a lot), I'll try to include sizes so that there is no resize by DS for the tips, but for that I'll need to have inputs from Daz (is max tip fixed size or not)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,178
    edited February 2021

I am using Super Save version 1.1 on Windows 10 with DS 4.15.0.9. I don't see a problem with the case sensitivity of the file names or any compression or downsizing of 1024 tip files. Perhaps the problems Gary is experiencing are related to using an old version of Daz Studio (4.10).

I created these scene files with Save Incremental Pro1.1. Each saved scene use a different size of tip file. All seemed to work exactly as expected.

Screenshot 2021-02-17 164216.jpg
    593 x 556 - 76K
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 164239.jpg
    929 x 809 - 115K
    Screenshot 2021-02-17 164310.jpg
    1338 x 1462 - 207K
    Post edited by barbult on

Ok, I have an update.  After doing many incremental saves on different files using the Pro script I cannot duplicate my original all lowercase filename issue.  It may have just been this one file so I tested it again.  After deleting the incremental files and using the Pro save on the original it created an incremental file that respected the case of the original - as viewed in File Explorer.  However, in DS the filename showed up as all lower case.  Thinking the database might be to blame I again deleted the incremental file and also removed the file reference from the LOCAL_USER product.  Reloading the scene and doing a Pro save resulted in a properly named incremental file.  So all is good, there is no issue with filenames.

Barbult tests reveals what I think may be happening.  The 853x tip limit may NOT be a hard limit but rather a variable limit that is dependent on screen resolution.  Assuming your 1024x tip example was a screen grab, I notice two things, you're getting the full 1024x image in your tip and the long dimension of your capture is 1462 pixels.  Do you have a 4K monitor?  Mine is a 1440p 2K monitor.  I suspect DS or the underlying Qt framework is limiting the max dimensions for images in tips based on screen resolution so as to not create tips that exceed the viewable screen.

Assuming I'm right about your screen res, it would be great if you could try one more test of say a 2048x2048 tip image to see what limit exists for higher res systems.

Assuming the tip image has a variable limit then maybe it can be queried via DAZ Script and instead of 1024x1024 you make the selection "largest allowed" or something like that.  Alternatively, maybe you could allow the user to input a custom dimension.  Anyway, it's all a nice to have, for now my workaround it simply to resize the tip file you generate to 853x.

Cheers!

Yes, I have a 3840x2160 monitor (QHD). 

I created a 2048 by 2048 tip file. It looks like it displays at about 1280 pixels on my monitor.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 tip 2048.jpg
    1716 x 1694 - 267K

Wow, I was right, the max tip image dimensions are dependent on the screen resolution.  Your tip image is being scaled to 1280x1280, this must be the max limit for your screen size - and you've got the same scaling artifacts (most notable as jaggies on the diagonals) as I get on my 2560x1440 monitor for images over 853x853.  The math reveals about the same ratio: 0.5925 relative to the vertical screen resolution.  

barbult, if you now create a 1280x1280 tip of the same image you should see the tip of that image displayed perfectly - with no scaling.  And that's the whole point of what I'd like V3D to do, allow us to create the largest tip files we can without DS scaling.  BTW, it's my screen that's commonly referred to as QHD, your 4K screen gets the UHD moniker.

So the dilemma for our script writer is how to create a maximum dimension tip that is adaptable for multiple screen resolutions.  An easy solution that would cover the majority of screens, assuming the 0.5925 ratio to the vertical screen resolution, would be to offer 640x640 (for HD screens), 853x853 (for 1440p 2K QHD), and 1280x1280 (for 2660p 4K UHD).  I would remove the 1024x1024 size, while it's a nice round computer science number it has little relevance for DS and in fact causes issues for us poor artists with just a 2K screen or less.

Thanks barbult for doing these tests, I honestly thought 853x was a fixed constant, like the speed of light.  I trust that one day V3D will come up with some brilliant scripted solution.

Cheers!

Well I don't know what to do about this. Of course the script can easily add more resolutions, but I have the same 2K screen for years so I would not even be able to test as I should if I added new big resolutions.

You know what, I let you people do the list of the resolutions you want, and then, I make an update.

V3Digitimes said:

Well I don't know what to do about this. Of course the script can easily add more resolutions, but I have the same 2K screen for years so I would not even be able to test as I should if I added new big resolutions.

You know what, I let you people do the list of the resolutions you want, and then, I make an update.

What if you just added a "custom" option and let people enter a size. You could make it flexible and let them enter both height and width if possible, or if it always has to be square, you could let them enter a single number. 

Thanks Barb, I think yes it would be the best idea. I will not test to implement this right now, I must handle the priorities, but yes, this is what I will try in the update. Height and Width first, and if there are issues with the aspect ratio (I remember I store and restore it, so I guess it should be possible), a single number.

I agree, the "custom dimensions" option would be the most flexible - handling both dimensions and aspect ratio.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Hi there,

if you do an update that does not use any new DS API features, please encrypt it with an older (4.10?)  DS version for us older version users. This is really appreciated if possible!

Thanks for all,

--ms

If I make an update, I'll try to implement the custom dimensions option.

Concerning the version compatibility, if I have a look, the compatible version should be DS 4.8.1.75. Note that I have no way to test this, but this is the version declared at the top of each of the scripts, so I guess this should work. A warning is that for a few versions of Daz Studio (I don't remember which ones), it could not work because DS could not read the scene name any longer. It lasted one or two versions and was solved.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,941

I skimmed through the 3 pages, and can't see what I'm looking for: is there an option to auto save every x minutes?

DoctorJellybean said:

I skimmed through the 3 pages, and can't see what I'm looking for: is there an option to auto save every x minutes?

No, that's not one of the features. I love Super Save, though. I use the Incremental Save Pro so much that I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it. It saves the scene using the existing scene name, but with a numeric suffix automatically appended. It allows you to add notes about what you changed in that version.

DoctorJellybean said:

I used to think an auto-save in DS would be a good idea, but was persuaded that it wouldn't be.  Given the complexity of DS, who knows what would happen if it tried to save in the middle of X other task it might be performing.  Perhaps setting an alert on a phone or desktop app to save manually would serve the same end?

And yeah, this is an app I've used often, and it has seen improvements over time.

• HI 

I  looking for same product as "Super Save" but instead of 256 x 256 pixels Max I would like 3840 x 2160 with my current render setting.

ex.:

name_001.duf

name_001.png  <-  icon

name_001.jpg  <- render image 3840 x 2160  with my current render setting  in stead  of  250 x 250

Is it possible ?

Thanks 

Hi,

super save was updated in 2020 with the possibility of generating 256x256, 512x512 and 1024x1024 .tip.png (tips). This can be chosen via a dropdown menu.

I think I could re-update it with one additional line allowing the users to use the render size they have in the render settings (this way they would have the exact size they want for the tip file on their hard drive even if Daz Studio visually rescale them in the Content library).

I plan an update campain in September-October for my products, this could be, I think (if there are no surprises) implemented, at least for .tip.png. In this case, I can also have a look of  including a checkbox allowing the use of a jpg output instead of the .tip.png, but I must have a deeper look at the details of my script to see how "easy" it is to implement while maintaining properly the normal ("classical") behavior of the script.

• Hi ,

First , thanks for fast responding.

In other word I mean with only one click to save my file name_00x.duf and render my file name_00x.jpg or /png/tif ( with my current Render IRay setting )  all with one click .

I think with this kind of utility it will be the most usefull with the new RTX GPU Card where the rendering time is much faster.

Ex. with my rtx4090, rendering time at 30sec is enough to generate a 8k image .
    So I don't want to make 2 opperations, one for save my .duf file and another to generate render a 8k (7680x4320)  file

If you are able to make that I am your customer

I can't wait  :)
    Best regard

Maxime

Ok I understand. Would it be ok if it was the .tip.png (which is a png) with as an option the size you have in your render seetings ("simple to do") or do you really need to control the format of an extra output image (clearly requires more work).