Converting Poser Dynamic clothing

13»

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

I have really been trying to figure out how to 'sew' or weld seams of conforming clothing items that are not already. connected in hex.  To be completely honest, the only thing I've ever successfully done with hex  was send a confirming cloth WITH no seams or already welded seams and then send it straight back to Daz to use DtnCreator. 

I've watched tutorials, I've read and reread the pdf, and still, I can't figure it out.

I am trying to change the Veteran War Dog clothing set to dyn props with no success. the best and holster straps on the pants keep falling off during drape.

Can someone please give me a 'weld seams in hex for idiots' tutorial? 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

This could depend a lot on the geometry that you have to deal with. Although I used Carrara rather than Hex, their modellers have a lot in common, and in a simple case I was able to double click an edge to select a whole side (of a subdivded plane, just as a test case), then shift select the corresponding other side, then select the Bridge tool and the two edges are linked with a set of polygons between them.  But the process could need a lot more fiddling, depending on the precise geometry you are dealing with.

As an aside, once VWD is available for Daz Studio (and I don't think it will be long), that works well with conforming clothing as it can generate linkages between adjacent geometry automatically as part of the clothing process, so you wouldn't have to do any editing at all!

• PhilW said:

As an aside, once VWD is available for Daz Studio (and I don't think it will be long),

Not so long I hope. I'm ready to submit. I just need VWD last version to be distributed because it contains bits that are necessary to work with Studio.

PhilW said:

This could depend a lot on the geometry that you have to deal with. Although I used Carrara rather than Hex, their modellers have a lot in common, and in a simple case I was able to double click an edge to select a whole side (of a subdivded plane, just as a test case), then shift select the corresponding other side, then select the Bridge tool and the two edges are linked with a set of polygons between them.  But the process could need a lot more fiddling, depending on the precise geometry you are dealing with.

As an aside, once VWD is available for Daz Studio (and I don't think it will be long), that works well with conforming clothing as it can generate linkages between adjacent geometry automatically as part of the clothing process, so you wouldn't have to do any editing at all!

The pants I am trying to work with comes with a belt and thigh strap for a gun.  They load into daz as one item, but when I try to drape, the belt loops, belt, and straps all fall apart. So step by stem, how do I make every section all a single piece? What if I turn it into a prop first? Then try to convert it? Will that 'connect' everything?

PhilW said:

The pants I am trying to work with comes with a belt and thigh strap for a gun.  They load into daz as one item, but when I try to drape, the belt loops, belt, and straps all fall apart. So step by stem, how do I make every section all a single piece? What if I turn it into a prop first? Then try to convert it? Will that 'connect' everything?

I may be wrong, but if you are looking for a simple "click this, click that and hey presto it's done" type solution, I don't think one exists (except possibly for the "Use VWD" advice, which I know is not really what you were after!).  The issue is that the separate parts are not linked by any geometry, so you will need to add it.  This will involve selecting parts of one piece (say the belt), selecting parts of an adjacent piece (say the pants) and then building polygons across them to attach them together.  In a simple case, this can be done with the Bridge tool, but it is pretty unlikely to be a clean process and may make a bit of a mess of the meshes, as the pieces weren't designed to do this.  And it is likely to be a bit of a slog to get all the pieces connected in a way that looks OK.

That is why the VWD solution is so appealing, you don't need to go in and do detailed editing of the actual meshes, as you can set it to create linkages between adjacent pieces of an outfit, precisely to address this issue of bits falling off when the mesh was not designed for dynamics in the first place.

I get all of that, but I still need a 'now' solution until the better solution comes along (deadline slipping away fast). What if I made a shell of the pants, retextured accordingly, the turned the shell into a drape item?

I'm not sure what you mean by "shell" in this context. I am desparately hoping for someone to join the conversation and give you an answer, but I fear that messily joining items on a polygon by polygon basis maybe your best hope of a "now" solutioin.

Ok ... so how do I do that?

Bearing in mind all I have ever done with Hex is send already 'attached' conforming clothes from Daz, then send it right back to Daz for conversion.

I don't know how to find the seams, how to connect them, how to build connectors ... I know NOTHING about Hex, and the video tuts are just frustrating me because they all want to go through the basics, which don't tell me what I need to do in this instance.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited August 2016

HI,.

I've just had a look at the "Veteran war dog for M4" Pants,. and they're not going to work as dynamic clothing, for a couple of reasons.

The first one is that these items were never built to be used as dynamic colth,.

the "Pants" model is made up of several different meshes,.(the pant's) plus, the loops for the belt,. the belts and buckles on the legs, and the pockets,.. are all different objects (polymeshes).

That's partly why they fall to the floor,. but,.. most of these objects are also interpenetrating the main Pants mesh,. and when you throw that into a physics simulation which is calulating the distance between meshes,. intersecting meshes are bad news,. forcing the software to calculate more,. and usually repelling the meshes apart.

If you were to edit the "pants" model,. you could technically connect these individual parts to the main pants mesh,.  it would be a real pain, and time consuming to do that.

you would also destroy the UV Mapping, and any morphs in that item,. by changing the geometry.

even after all of that,. this item isn't ideal for dynamics,. the model is fitted with a Thigh belt and two Knee pads which are also strapped to the leg

the waist belt,. is just a surface,. (no thickness),. the belt ends are not attached to anything,. they're simply modelled around the Buckle ends.

the Buckle is made of two meshes which are intersecting,. and many more issues.

You could edit the model to delete all of these belts, loops, pockets, knee pads / straps,... and then you'd have a simple pair of pants, which are more likely to work in a dynamic simulation,. but wouldn't look the same.

Generally,. pants,. or,.  trousers, don't deform much,. and much less when they're strapped to the figure.

Dynamic clothing should ideally be a simpler, single mesh, things like a loose fitting shirt / sweatshirt / dress / skirt, etc... things where you can see the flow of the cloth

rather than a tight fitting T-Shirt,. or skinny jeans.

My advice would be ,. use the pants as they are,. non dynamic.

or,. if possible,.

use a simpler pair of dynamic pants,.and apply a similar shader / texture

Sorry it's not a solution,.  but not every model is suitable for use in a dynamic simulation

WD pantmesh.jpg
    1624 x 976 - 408K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on

Thanks, 3DAGE.

It's probably safe to assume the shirt will be just as problematic. ... Just my luck. Thanks for all the help.