Giant Robot Mech - Think Evangelion, or Pacific Rim

LintonLinton Posts: 542
edited March 2016 in Product Suggestions

So, there are some truly epic robots being piloted by humans around the Sci Fi universes, but I have yet to see one for sale in DAZ.

There are some unique and really awesome ones over at TurboSquid, however, I'd prefer sticking with DAZ though. I am wondering if any vendor or even DAZ itself are working on a humanoid, giant sci fi robot ready to kick some epicspace-butt?

Some options for it I am happy to suggest are varying blades that can be removed from the back, or from the hands (with option to change the blade style), tentacles (short or longer, organic or metallic, or both), flight jets for an option, as well as wings. Customizable insignia slots for placement over the chest, side fo the helmet, or on arms. MUST be pilotable mechs.

ww.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-mobile-suit-3d-model/950805

ww.turbosquid.com/3d-models/c4d-crimson-typhoon-pacific-rim/761179

ww.turbosquid.com/3d-models/robot-bot-3ds/618890

ww.turbosquid.com/3d-models/mech-weapons-3d-3ds/929135

Are there any PAs working on anything similar to this?

Titan Robot.jpg
1480 x 800 - 89K
Post edited by Linton on

Comments

• LintonLinton Posts: 542

Oh, I really like the Sentinel!. Already have BEO2K, and the Heavy Assault Mech, and the Buffalo Scout aren't humanoid enough for what I am looking for. That Sentinel though, that could work!

I am after a new one for the use of 3Delight and iRay (prefer iRay) shaders. Some of the older ones are now showing their age with the shaders they use.

Thanks MJC1016

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538
    edited March 2019

I'd like to revive this thread because everyone knows I want some Pacidic Rim Mechs.  smiley  I have alot of the mechs in the DAZ store, but I still haven't found the perfect one.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

The best I've found so far is https://www.daz3d.com/lg07-combat-mech which has a separate cockpit for easier posing of the pilot.

edited March 2019

The best I've found so far is https://www.daz3d.com/lg07-combat-mech which has a separate cockpit for easier posing of the pilot.

I have that on my wish list.  It falls under my catagory of ED-209 (80's Robocop refernce) type of mechs.  The Zeus (which looks awesome BTW) also falls under that catagory as well.  The picture displayed by the orginal creater of this thread is what I would like to see more off.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/7f/d72557ad7c49087d2d3d648bac4383.jpg

The sentinal comes close but not not quite (http://www.daz3d.com/sentinel).  I don't pretend to know what the market is for mechs like that.  I know that I and a few others want those type of mechs.

My favorite Pacific Rim Mech:

The Cosmic Knight (https://www.daz3d.com/the-cosmic-knight) is on my wish list as well but he seems more appropraite for toon renders than realistic IRAY renders.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

I've never understood why a giant combat droid would be designed as humanoid. Surely, if it's meant for that task, you'd want it to have as many weaponised limbs and mounted weapons as possible? Just a couple of them seems awfully limited.

• I've never understood why a giant combat droid would be designed as humanoid. Surely, if it's meant for that task, you'd want it to have as many weaponised limbs and mounted weapons as possible? Just a couple of them seems awfully limited.

Not always. Sure, for one that has a degree of self-awareness, or is programmed to function autonomously, more limbs is good. But, for a piloted mech, especially one where the operator is somehow linked into the control systems, you want something that is as close to what the operator is familiar with as possible.
    edited March 2019
  • tkdrobert said:

Hmm... You're giving me ideas... Keep an eye on my dA for any activity on this front. laugh

I've never understood why a giant combat droid would be designed as humanoid. Surely, if it's meant for that task, you'd want it to have as many weaponised limbs and mounted weapons as possible? Just a couple of them seems awfully limited.

Not always. Sure, for one that has a degree of self-awareness, or is programmed to function autonomously, more limbs is good. But, for a piloted mech, especially one where the operator is somehow linked into the control systems, you want something that is as close to what the operator is familiar with as possible.

No reason the systems, themselves, couldn't translate general commands into whatever combat-related functions are required. In the same way as telling a legged droid to 'walk' would have to be translated; the robot, itself, would have to figure out the 'how' of it.

Although, in all honesty, limbs seem a bit antiquated when you could just construct massively powerful tanks, warships and planes. :) Ranged weapons will always be way more destructive than punching.

Well, I consider Pacific Rim, Gundam, and Robotech etc., more science fantasy than hard sci-fi.  I like giant robots that look like humans because they are just cool.  Besides, the link to the picture, that I posted, shows just one example of how much firepower you can pack into a Mecha shaped human-like.  An alternative explaination is that humans like to create things that look like us.  The Japanese have been focused on it for some time.

No reason the systems, themselves, couldn't translate general commands into whatever combat-related functions are required. In the same way as telling a legged droid to 'walk' would have to be translated; the robot, itself, would have to figure out the 'how' of it.

Although, in all honesty, limbs seem a bit antiquated when you could just construct massively powerful tanks, warships and planes. :) Ranged weapons will always be way more destructive than punching.

We have 

If sci-fi was 100% practical, it wouldn’t be as fun or cool.  Fantasy and sci-fi give us a place to let our imaginations run wild.  That being said, I like me some hard sci-fi too.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

Robotech / Macross explained the limbs in a (I believe) non-cannon way.

When the alien spaceship that would become the SDF-1 crashed on South Ataria, the initial recon teams found giant alien bodies inside of it. They kept this discovery a secret to avoid a panic. They then began constructing mecha that would be able to combat the aliens hand to hand, as well as with standard armaments.

Possibly impractical, depending on how you look at it, but cool none the less.

While I would love to see some Macross / Robotech inspired models, I would suggest reading up on the FASA / Battletech / Harmony Gold debacle before doing too much work. I don't know if it has changed, but HG vigrously defends their import rights.

Robotech / Macross explained the limbs in a (I believe) non-cannon way.

When the alien spaceship that would become the SDF-1 crashed on South Ataria, the initial recon teams found giant alien bodies inside of it. They kept this discovery a secret to avoid a panic. They then began constructing mecha that would be able to combat the aliens hand to hand, as well as with standard armaments.

Possibly impractical, depending on how you look at it, but cool none the less.

While I would love to see some Macross / Robotech inspired models, I would suggest reading up on the FASA / Battletech / Harmony Gold debacle before doing too much work. I don't know if it has changed, but HG vigrously defends their import rights.

I would be happy with Pacific Rim inspired mechs.  I know someone who is doing Robotech inspired mechs and HG has not gone after him.

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

There is the Mecha construction kit...

edited March 2019

There is the Mecha construction kit...

I just got that recently.  It’s ok, it’s a bit dated.  It seems good for Toon/Anime renders, but not more realistic, Pacific Rim type renders.  That being said, I would love to see some add ons to it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

This mech is awesome: http://fav.me/dak239.  This artist has quite a few cool designs.

This is another one I really like: http://fav.me/d64roly

edited March 2019

Ideally, you'll find that form follows function. So, I think if giant humanoid robots ever get made, they'll be purely for sports and stuff like that. The real deal, for industrial and military applications, if they even have any limbs, would be more likely to look like giant insects/arachnids (which essentially are nature's own miniaturised robots).

It's like military spaceships. It perplexes me how we'll get tons of models in the store where all the guns are fixed in one place, instead of simply being in more practical turrets which can swivel and elevate.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    edited March 2019

Ideally, you'll find that form follows function. So, I think if giant humanoid robots ever get made, they'll be purely for sports and stuff like that. The real deal, for industrial and military applications, if they even have any limbs, would be more likely to look like giant insects/arachnids (which essentially are nature's own miniaturised robots).

It's like military spaceships. It perplexes me how we'll get tons of models in the store where all the guns are fixed in one place, instead of simply being in more practical turrets which can swivel and elevate.

I think you're probably right, (I still want my giant, human-shaped, mecha for art though).  Right now, the trend is moving toward autonomous drones.  It's possible that giant robots could evolve out of a desire to enhance human abilities.  Most Anime depect a human controling a mech the way a pilot flys a plane or a tank driver drives a tank.  I think if giant robots became a thing, it would be more like Iron-man or some kind of VR set-up.  In that case, having a more human design would make it easier for the conroler to interface with it psychologically,  The only reason we create human looking robots right now, is so humans can relate better to them.  For example, if you had a robot caring for an elderly person, they would be more accepting of it if it was human-like or "cute" in some way.  Humans like to make an emotional connection.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

When i check DAZ's store for mecha, i see more "realistic heavy mecha" than "anime-like humanoid mecha", which might tell about demographics' tastes here currently)

Anyway,

tkdrobert said:

Well, I consider Pacific Rim, Gundam, and Robotech etc., more science fantasy than hard sci-fi.  I like giant robots that look like humans because they are just cool.  Besides, the link to the picture, that I posted, shows just one example of how much firepower you can pack into a Mecha shaped human-like.  An alternative explaination is that humans like to create things that look like us.  The Japanese have been focused on it for some time.

I recommend reading this (pretty informative) article if you are interested in such moment of discussion:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/10/15/from-bushido-to-beamsabers-looking-into-the-origins-of-mecha-in-japan/#681331ed4812

edited March 2019
    akmerlow said:

When i check DAZ's store for mecha, i see more "realistic heavy mecha" than "anime-like humanoid mecha", which might tell about demographics' tastes here currently)

Anyway,

tkdrobert said:

I recommend reading this (pretty informative) article if you are interested in such moment of discussion:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2018/10/15/from-bushido-to-beamsabers-looking-into-the-origins-of-mecha-in-japan/#681331ed4812

That was a good read.  Thanks for that.  I guess it's no suprise that I'm a martial artist that loves to train with swords.  I've been facinated with the Samurai since I was a little boy.  I saw Star Wars when I was 5 and was naturally attracted to Samurai because the Jedi were inspired by them.  I was also a big fan of Speed Racer, Star Blazers, Transformers, Godzilla, Robotech, etc growing up. 

I was able to put this together using Daz store figures:

Mech vs Kaiju III by tkdrobert

• World Defenders in the pipeline. :smile:
    World Defenders in the pipeline. :smile:

heartyes

edited March 2019

I did this render in Daz  Everything is in the Daz (sky, ran. ocean, water drops on the mech, etc) store except the mecha.  This is the typr of mech I'd like to see.

Pacific Rim: Saber Athena by tkdrobert

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

https://www.daz3d.com/sentinel

Might be an option.

Scale up the arms, scale down the head.

https://www.daz3d.com/sentinel

Might be an option.

Scale up the arms, scale down the head.

He's on my wish list.  He would be better if he had more armor and less metal musles showing.

• http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/index.asp has a lot of mecha for daz3d and poser.