Custom Categories - Now I am really upset

So, I went ahead and loaded 4.9 with the assurance that it would not be an issue with my custom categories.  Everything was working fine until about a week and a half ago.  Then all of a sudden about 1/4 of my (thousands) of products completely disappeared despite the fact that DIM insisted that they were there.  Updating the meta data only fixed a very small portion of the issue.  So I started going through my entire products list alphabetically and interestingly enough all of those missing products were available to install via connect but not available to instals via DIM.  PCMike was kind enough to try and help me figure it out but in the end, I just went ahead and loaded those missing products via connect.  Interestingly enough when I did that about half of them repopulated the custom categories I had created on their own while the other half I had to re add.  Just discovered today that EVERY SINGLE ITEM that is a freebie or from another website like Hivewire is no longer in my custom categories and when I go and try and add them back THEY DONT STAY THERE!.  We are talking literally weeks of work gone.  I have thousands of items that I can't find easily anymore.  Please, someone help me fix this.  If I was not so stubborn I would have given up on this program at this point.  I wish you could understand the weeks of work that went into this and I was assured over and over this would not happen.  and its worked fine until last week I have had 4.9 installed for over a month now.

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh and I just went and checked all of my custom made characters no longer show in my custom categories only.  So I now have to jump through hoops to find those as well.  I honestly am in tears.  

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Does re-importing user data resolve the issue, or are they still missing?

Nothing works.  I even had it scan the directories on my computer.  the only thing that did was add a whole long list of directories to the poser content pane.  I attached the screen shot showing that.  The files are in my poser content library in studio.  They just refuse to be put in the custom categories where I had them. Honestly, I can't work with my stuff spread all over the place, it can take me 45 minutes to find all the parts in the poser side of things.  There is just too much stuff to use it without the custom categories.

print Screen A.jpg
    1680 x 1018 - 191K

Here is an example of my custom categories.  Each one has multiple categories in it with those categories having more categories etc.

Print Screen b.jpg
    1680 x 1018 - 200K
    edited March 2016

I tried redownloading from the zip files, I tried refreshing, I tried the show in categories, show in smart content and whatever else I could find.   All the files on the Daz side of things seem to working at the moment in the custom categories.  My poser content was working just fine two days ago.  I just don't understand.  I haven't loaded anything new,  except for the *new* files that Studio insisted on loading via connect.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Oh, you don't want those, doing that will be both useless (as you've noted) and possibly cause nested content folder problems.

If you take the exact file name of one of the items that isn't staying in categories and search for it, does DS find it?  If so, and you right-click on it and choose Categorize, does it show that it's been categorized in the categories it's supposed to be, but when you go to that category they don't show?

inside Studio?  No. I just tried three different things.  But I've never had any luck with searching for content if its poser or freebies.  I can't think of a single time I have ever found something using the search bar.  They are where they should be in MyLibray in the folders on my pc.  They match up to where they are in the Poser directory inside of studio. If I right click on the item and tell it to browse to file location, it takes me right to the file in MyDaz3dlibrary on my pc.

I didn't follow that -- are they showing under Content Library > Poser Formats?  If you right-click on an item there and choose Categorize, does it show it's already categorized where you want it?

Yes they show up in content library>poser formats.  If i right click and choose categorize it does NOT show as already categorized and the catagory itself is empty.  If I click on categorize and put it back in the category it does not turn white like it used to and once I hit accept and check to see if its in the category I just put it in it is not there.  I tried adding a new category to see if that would work but it did not.  I tried deleting a product and re installing it, that also did not work.

Is this using 4.9.1.30?

Where would I find that?  In properties its just says Daz Studios 4.9 64 bit.  The start screen says Daz Studio 4.9 pro. 

Also just tried right clicking on the folder under poser formats-figures- pookie bear (don't judge me lol) and clicked on create a category - from this folder with subcategories - and created it under people- kids4-toys.  It put the category right where it should go but did not transfer the actual item to the category.

Help > About Daz Studio will give the exact build number.

4.9.0.63 64 bit pro edition

Ah, there was a bug with categorizing Poser-format items if the Poser-format content folder wasn't also listed as a DS-format content folder that was fixed in 4.9.1.24.  If the folder containing the Poser runtime isn't also a DS-format content folder, try adding it and seeing if that fixes the problem.

How do I do that?  Sorry I am still pretty new

Would it be easier to just upgrade again?  Can I even do that?

Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, you'll want to get rid of all those extra entries under Poser Formats, then whichever folders you have under Poser Formats with the third-party item should be added under Daz Studio Formats also.

Yes, you could also upgrade to the latest version.  I'm not sure if that will automatically fix things, or if you'll need to re-import your user data.

Okay I have gotten this far and removed everything that wasn't there before.  But I'm not sure how to get the stuff under the poser format into the daz studio format.  I'm a little leary about moving stuff given my past disastrous results when I first started lol.  When I click on Daz Studio Formats and hit add then go to the file on my pc name C/users/Sonja/Documents/DAZ 3Dstudio/MyLibrary  it tell me this has already been mapped

Print Screen C.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 263K

Are the third-party items that aren't categorizing in "My Daz 3D Library" or "My Library"?

It's not listed, are you sure it's the My Library location you're trying to add?

My Daz 3d Library.  The My Library folder is empty but its always been there since I started on 4.8 so I just left it.  I can remove it as well if it will help

So the items that aren't categorizing are in Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library?

Okay I got rid of the empty My Library which left the folder that has all of the poser content in it. - this is the only thing showing under the poser tab and it does have all that content there.  I just don't know how to get it to go under the daz studio part.

print screen d.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 232K
    edited March 2016

And its weird because the file names under both daz studio and poser look like the identical path but they have different things in them....Also when I hit go to file location the daz studio portion goes to c- users-  public documents- my daz 3d libraries

The poser side goes to c-users-public documents-my daz 3d libraries-runtime- libraries

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Tried moving one character out of the runtime my libraries people folder and into the daz studio part under people.  It shows up on the daz side of things and even turns the category white when I check it but when I hit accept it doesn't keep it and the category is blank again.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Show a screen shot of Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library in Windows Explorer...expand the directory tree to show all the subfolders.

This one?

Print Screen E.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 265K

Keep in mind the custom categories were working just fine since I installed 4.9 over a month ago.  It just stopped working yesterday