Carrara Challenge #24: “Under the Sea” or "Out of the Box" - WIP Thread

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Yeah ! I filmed a few salmon farms around TromsØ and often fished in the Alta River...

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2016

Aquarena Springs rehearsal, WIP.

The pig's diving equipment and outfit made in the vertex modeler, along with the swimming pool.  The water is a scaled down ocean primitive. The mermaid is Li'l Mermaid by   Daz Originals DemonicaEvilius Silver.  The G2F is a modified Callie 6.  The hair is one of the sample hairs that comes with Carrara.  The pig is the Daz fairytale pig.  Experimented with caustics, spot lights with very narrow angles, enclosing the pool and using indirect lighting, adding lights that just apply to the figures and some other lighting experiments.  This where I am for now.

wip aquarena springs rehearsal 1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 206K
    wip aquarena assemble room.JPG
    1659 x 914 - 258K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited April 2016
    Varsel said:

I have also started to model a fish. Or more spesific : an Atlantic Cod. Still some more parts to add, and then off course texture. 

Will try to rig it in Carrara..

Nice work on the Cod. There is a huge lack of fish in the 3D world.

Realizing I was running out of time I grabbed some more fish, Dart's Underwater Env Kit and others.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2016

My Cod has taken shape. No its rigging ....

Doc3.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 324K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited April 2016

A few more things and I can wrap this up... hopefully. All tubsponges and 1 brain coral I created in Carrara using procedural textures... added another, with map files, are from Posieden corals pack for comparison.

UW_Mesa_11b.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    edited April 2016
    DUDU said:

Thanks DUDU... got it now :)

Varsel,  Very nice

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    wgdjohn said:

A few more things and I can wrap this up... hopefully. All tubsponges and 1 brain coral I created in Carrara using procedural textures... added another, with map files, are from Posieden corals pack for comparison.

Looking good.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    diomede said:

Aquarena Springs rehearsal, WIP.

The pig's diving equipment and outfit made in the vertex modeler, along with the swimming pool.  The water is a scaled down ocean primitive. The mermaid is Li'l Mermaid by   Daz Originals DemonicaEvilius Silver.  The G2F is a modified Callie 6.  The hair is one of the sample hairs that comes with Carrara.  The pig is the Daz fairytale pig.  Experimented with caustics, spot lights with very narrow angles, enclosing the pool and using indirect lighting, adding lights that just apply to the figures and some other lighting experiments.  This where I am for now.

diomede that looks terrific

wgdjohn said:

really enjoying seeing this scene come together,

Varsel said:

My Cod has taken shape. No its rigging ....

looks like it doent need to be rigged, you could add a modifier instead maybe??

(me being lazy ;) )

Stezza said:

Had a chance to get something together....

made an anemmmannnnaaa ( don't know how to spell it! ) for my underwater scene and stuck some DAZ fishies in it along with Dart's underwater realms.. smiley

I duplicated and resized a simple tenticle then surface replicated it onto a sphere I cut in half.. played with the shader till I got what I liked, used the fog tool and a replicator for the fish.

Then I did post work using heaps of layers and Ron's brushes to finish it up in PSE14.

another masterpice Stezza, but you can keep the white pointer :)

Thanks chickenman and head wax.  Sadly for me Carrara crashed later last night... when I restarted a few files got corrupted... my fault.  Spent the entire day reloading content... don't be alarmed if the next is a bit different... I hope it will be the final render will be on friday.

gah, dont you hate that !

edited April 2016

as much as you do and all other folks

ha ha, yes, my main fail comes when my hard drive is nearly full (eg when some other program has jammed it full of cache stuff) and I save a car file and carrara doesnt bother to tell me that somethings awol , bye bye carrara file :(

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited April 2016

As some of you have notinced, I am back. @head wax, thank you! (I didn't want to derail the other thread and I am very glad to see you here. smiley)

I don't have my system fully restored yet. I am mostly messing around with plug-ins and trying to figure out how to make Genesis+ work in Carrara and how I might need to change my workflow for that.

I wasn't planning to participate in this challenge since it's almost over, but I saw the theme and decided to try using it as a testing ground for figuring out plug-ins...

... so far it has turned out to be utter failure... but contemplating on the theme of how things quite often don't go as planned, I came up with this image, which I am considering submitting to the challenge anyway.

The scene is very quickly put together with very simple lighting (2 spots with same settings aside from intensity and Gel maps => single main light source, +1 infinite light without shadows to fake bounce from the sand), a few replicated seaplants, custom texture-based terrain (just a quick drawing in Photoshop), a replicator with primitive sphere for bubbles, native content diamong ring (if you can find it!) and DAZ Rose.

This is a test render, so no postwork.

Doc10.png
    900 x 450 - 599K
    Post edited by Antara on

nice work Antara, very effective, and superb  how you have the emotional element happening

edited April 2016

Antara, very good. Looks like someone tossed their bouque into the sea.  sad

edited April 2016

Thank you head wax and wgdjohn!

Now I've gone through all the pages and I am loving the WIPs in this thread and their thematic diversity despite almost everybody doing the same challenge theme.

P.S.

Added some water bubbles to the flowers. I plan to add the smaller bubble clusters in post (not cost effective render-time-wise to do them in 3D), but I wanted the sources of those bubles to be rendered - easier to create a believable coverage of the complex 3D object like the rose. The bubbles are quickly modelef vertex spheres which I morphed to fit with various bumps and bulges inside the flowed - they are supposed to be air pockets trapped between the petals. Too much?

Doc14.png
    900 x 450 - 617K
    Post edited by Antara on
    edited April 2016

Wow, Antara, way to just dive back in!  Get it?  Dive back in?  OK, we can all pretend that I never wrote that.  Very happy to see you back and very impressed with how your WIP tells a story with the ring and the flowers.  Varsel, I agree with Headwax that you can probably get the results you want with a modifier, but I also note that rigging these particular fish models should be relatively painless (because I don't have to do it).  Wgdjon, good job populating the scene with models.  Love the fade to blue.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2016
    head wax said:
    wgdjohn said:

really enjoying seeing this scene come together,

Great... I've now rebuilt the missing content, added more, changed a few textures and then a subtle but noticable hint of caustics from the free product you had mentioned, thank you, so now have a final render.

diomede, thanks... glad that you like the fade to blue... created with fog and primoval fog. As for the models I'd planned on creating *all* the fauna in Carrara but ran out of time so only some of it is mine... none of the fish of course.

Antara, looking much better... I'd overlooked the ring in your original render... was trying to figure out where the rose petals came from and what that odd thing, the bouque of roses, was when it occured to me... doh.

edited April 2016

antara, they look like pearls ;) which fits in with the theme , I always chuck my pearls away with my wedding rings :)

how about a trail of bubbles showing the entrance trajectory of the bunch of flowers ?

great news wgdjohn

Post edited by Headwax on

Mark Bremer has a tutorial for underwater in Carrara here.  http://www.markbremmer.com/3Bpages/darkarts.html#

watched the underwater tutorial this morning... added the shafts, light cone, of light... been messing with it most the day just can't get them where I want them... so they will have to sit this one out.

edited April 2016

all things out of Carrara browser except one piece from PhilW's excellent An English Village, I made the terrain by doing a depth pass on  the lighthouse terrain from the browser folder and then using that as my terrain height map

one image with no postwork

render1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 360K
    nopost1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 346K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited April 2016

Work's been crazy the last couple of weeks so I haven't been able to keep up with the progress everyone has been making; so it's great to see all the excellent WIP's going on! And welcome back Antara! I'm so glad you are working on an entry. You were the host of the first challenge I entered. 

Great job everyone and I look forward to seeing your finished renders in the entry thread!!! 

Post edited by stringtheory9 on

head wax, looks very good. Like how you added the birds and seals... nice touch.

I've posted my final render to the entry thread... just happend to be the first entry. :)  ... had to get it entered since I'm busy this weekend

edited May 2016

stringtheory9, thank you! I am extremely happy to see you hosting this challenge. yes

I am glad to be back, but I'm not up to speed yet, though.

About my entry:

Well, this is embarrassing! I belatedly realized that the bouquet would not sink if thrown in the water... But we are going to pretend that I meant to do that. wink This is 3D after all - anything is possible, and we don't have to limit ourselves to them pesky laws of physics... cool

... so, back to business then. I am pretty much ready to call it a day. I messed with the multi-pass layers a bit (had to render it twice - multi-pass layers can't handle distance fog properly, it seems...), and added some more bubbles and disturbed sand cloud. (Ron's Brushes: Clearwater and Particles).

I am not really happy with the result, but I am not sure I'll have enough time to do much about it.

ThingsNotGoingAsPlanned_CR.png
    1414 x 796 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on

head wax, very cool image! 

I am curious, though, about the pixel artifacts on the water plane in the second attachment. What was that about? Did you re-render or did you fix it in post?