Carrara Challenge #24: “Under the Sea” or "Out of the Box" - WIP Thread

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I'll pretend that the roses are mostly lead :)

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444

wgdjohn, :D

Since you had not immediately understood them to be rosed before, I had a question for you: are the roses easier to read now (do they look easier to identify as a bouquet of roses) than in my initial images?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Haven't had much of a chance to post much.. 

but gees... some great works being done with explanations and all

DUDU said:

Terrific anemone Stezza, really nice !

You inspired me to build a few more coral for my scene.

The big one was made with a basis of particles metaballs, like a spray duplicated/resized many times.

Another was made in Realflow and the others in Carrara with polylines.

you can never have to much coral.. thanks Dudu smiley

wgdjohn said:

Stezza,  Nice rener. Where did you get the the Coral Fish, orange, black, white colored, from? Did you model the Anomone?

Thx wgdjohn  

I can't remember where I got the clown fish from, twas many years ago.. but there is one at Renderosity

Is that how you spell it.. lol
    Yes, I modelled it, just a simple vertex object which I duplicated and resized several times then used in a surface replicator.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.. Just settling into the new home and getting things the way the wife wants it is a momentus task but we are getting there devil

annennammmme.jpg
    1476 x 645 - 252K
    edited May 2016

Antara, Oh yes... later renders were quite a lot clearer in many ways... like how you have the sand particles floating about. Also I'd not noticed the ring before... perhaps you cranked up the lighting a bit or gave it a more gold, shiney, looking texture.

Stezza, impressive anemomne... very good. As I suspected I'm only acustomed to the tiny ones. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited May 2016

I'm not entering but wanted to play with an idea. 

mutiny.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 305K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Nice idea. Hmmm... wonder if he stood too close to the railing or walked the plank... oh well he's doomed now :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks for the kind words

stringtheory that's pretty classic - looks ike a hobbitt with wooden leg

antara, I tried to fix it in post but ended up rerendering ! the pixelation was from a bump map (pebbles) that I forgot to tile, or wouldnt tile enough !

cheers :)

stringtheory9, that image is fun! Great POV! And it has a great story to tell. So why aren't you entering it into the challenge?

head wax, ah, that explains it! :)  Been there, done that. :) I had spent some agonizing half an hour(s) trying to figure out what was happening with my shader until I realized that I tiled one of the textured channels and forgot to tile the other...

General question: Why aren't people posting their entries???

I am done with mine. So I'll just post it to the entry thread.

edited May 2016

Thanks wgdjohn. I've been wondering that myself!

head wax, yeah he does look a little hobbity. I think there's a movie in there somewhere smiley

Thanks Antara, as the host I didn't know I could but I went and posted it in the gallery on Sunday so I've disqualified myself.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on

stringtheory, dont worry about it, the more the merrier, no one will complain, anyway the host makes the rules ;)

Antara, yes , at first in post I made a new texture pattern thing in photoshop and filled the ocean area via select with the object index render

then use transform perspective on the resulting texture pattern  and it looked like c#ap!

so I re rendered. Actually have been doing a lot of above the ocean renders recently (graphic novel) and Carrara does a superb job.

A lot of fun playing with caustics in the render room

They render very fast too. (doing 3200 by 4000 pixel renders) I love Carrara.

On the entry thread... oh havent had a chance to put mine in yet that's all

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited May 2016

I had some time last night to work more on my "Out of the Box" entry.  I did use a render of one of Howie Farkes scenes as a texture for something in the scene - I hope that does not violate the rule to use only native content and items made in Carrara for this part of the challenge.  If it does, please let me know and I will replace that texture with something else.

All of the furniture and the cars are native content, the walls and floor are plane primitives and I modeled everything else in Carrara.  Except for the lamps and adding a little reflection to the wood I didn't even alter the shaders on the native content (except for the closest car, which I did quite a bit of work on).

Here are my final scene setup and the render before and after postwork.

09 FinalSceneSetup.JPG
    1875 x 956 - 230K
    10FinalNoPost.jpg
    1800 x 870 - 206K
    11FinalWithPost.jpg
    1800 x 870 - 160K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Head wax, I might try get an out of the box render in before time runs out since we're light on those.

Mark, really nice out of the box entry! There's no limit on textures. You can use anything for your textures. 

edited May 2016

Mark, really nice out of the box entry! There's no limit on textures. You can use anything for your textures. 

Great, thank you!  Although, if I had thought of it before I did my final full size/quality render it might have been more appropriate to use a render of one of the scene presets for that wall picture. OH well, you can't really make it out with the final DOF anyway.

Now I just need to find some time this weekend to finish up my Under the Sea entry. I still have lots of detail to add to the foreground and I need to figure out the final lighting. I don't normally cut it this close the deadline, but it's been crazy at work recently.  Yeah overtime! laugh

MDO2010 said:

Great, thank you!  Although, if I had thought of it before I did my final full size/quality render it might have been more appropriate to use a render of one of the scene presets for that wall picture. OH well, you can't really make it out with the final DOF anyway.

Now I just need to find some time this weekend to finish up my Under the Sea entry. I still have lots of detail to add to the foreground and I need to figure out the final lighting. I don't normally cut it this close the deadline, but it's been crazy at work recently.  Yeah overtime! laugh

You're totaly welcome to update your entry right up until voting begins.

@MDO2010  that's a pretty good image - congrats - the depth of field focus really adds to it

Head wax, I might try get an out of the box render in before time runs out since we're light on those.

great!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited May 2016

Here is an update of my "out of the box" entry

from the browser

- maledhd2 head, castle, dress, plaque, male2 figure, sword, griffin, sample hair

other default objects

- terrain, cylinder, text

Bastard Title 3.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 212K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

There is a harsh competion that is upcoming, so many nice entries !

I want to post the mine soon, but I don't know how to copy the link of a wip thread (not all the page).

Please, help !

If you click under your name next to a comment on the "Flag", it pops up a dialog to send the comment to the moderators, and the direct link to the comment is there.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Yes, that is OK.

Thank you Antara !

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    MDO2010 said:

I had some time last night to work more on my "Out of the Box" entry.  I did use a render of one of Howie Farkes scenes as a texture for something in the scene - I hope that does not violate the rule to use only native content and items made in Carrara for this part of the challenge.  If it does, please let me know and I will replace that texture with something else.

All of the furniture and the cars are native content, the walls and floor are plane primitives and I modeled everything else in Carrara.  Except for the lamps and adding a little reflection to the wood I didn't even alter the shaders on the native content (except for the closest car, which I did quite a bit of work on).

Here are my final scene setup and the render before and after postwork.

this is great!!

DUDU said:

There is a harsh competion that is upcoming, so many nice entries !

I want to post the mine soon, but I don't know how to copy the link of a wip thread (not all the page).

Please, help !

Antara said:

If you click under your name next to a comment on the "Flag", it pops up a dialog to send the comment to the moderators, and the direct link to the comment is there.

You can also just right-click on the time/date and copy the link to the post from there.

MDO2010 said:
    Antara said:

You can also just right-click on the time/date and copy the link to the post from there.

The story of my life - right here! laugh Although I do often manage to find a solution to whatever I need to do, it is almost always the weird non-straightforward one... blush

Thank you for showing me the right way to do it! smiley

DUDU,  yes quite a challenge this month with so many great renders. Hmm perhaps I'll have to vote for mine so that I get at least one vote... naw I'd rather vote for the competition.

Antara,  Stezza was kind enough to show me last month.  I later figured out on my own... to link text, like a product name, highlight the text then add the page via the link button.

I am worried that not all of the WIP's shown here have been posted to the entries thread yet! surprise And it's almost deadline! sad

2 more days left

edited May 2016

I'm not as happy with this one but short of starting over from scratch I think this is as good as it's getting in the time I have available.  Below are the final scene setup, raw render and postworked render for my Under the Sea entry.

Scene Setup

Render with no postwork

Postworked version

02FinalSceneSetup.JPG
    1876 x 947 - 275K
    03FinalRenderNoPost.jpg
    2000 x 1434 - 95K
    Ryleh.jpg
    2000 x 1434 - 115K
    MDO2010 said:

I'm not as happy with this one but short of starting over from scratch I think this is as good as it's getting in the time I have available.  Below are the final scene setup, raw render and postworked render for my Under the Sea entry.

edited May 2016

I managed to get myself into trouble on Mothers day working on my Out of The Box entry but I got it finished; under the wire! 

I exported everything except the Chair and the music stand as OBJ files so that I could reimport them as solid objects and create new UV maps and morph them. I stripped Victoria 4 from her skeleton and used that to attach to the figures so that I could pose them (I didn't bone the fingers and paid for it dearly in morph time). I then made a bunch of face and finger morphs and then added the textures that I had stitched together in photoshop.

Box Objects used: man 2, woman 2, violin, music stand, glasses, chair, hair (modified)

Box Lighting: 5 spots and hdri-20_color.hdr from the global Illumination folder.

The stage was modeled. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 8.58.24 PM.png
    1026 x 777 - 153K
    wip.jpg
    1000 x 723 - 403K
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on