Carrara Genesis 3

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

colladaeded,  tee hee.  after this was able to resist Ryan7 with littl effort.

put it on my DA art as, 'the Tortured Soul of Leo7'

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    MistyMist said:

colladaeded,  tee hee.  after this was able to resist Ryan7 with littl effort.

put it on my DA art as, 'the Tortured Soul of Leo7'

What do you mean? You got g3 over to C using collada?!!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

Yes she did but she dislocated the poor buggers joints crying

edited August 2016

a very,very base rubbery figure. but the lip bones work.  mebbe with limits setup? dunno if worth the effort. 

memories of playing with stretch armstrong doll.  lol

exported Leo7 as ds collada from ds4.8.

his eyes rotate

Post edited by Mistara on

Smooth Translation weight mapping ??  

was just reading about the tool to use g3 in poser, 

Smooth Translation weight mapping seems to be the trick to making the face expressions work

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

cheeky   

I have nothing G3

angel

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

yes, I am afraid I have nothing g2 either

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

ditto - no G2/G3, nor plans to go there. My G1 is pretty complete and does more than I need. Heck, Aiko3 still kicks butt in the right hands!

...but my feeble attempts at boycotting this silly place are regularly foiled by the continuous stream of cool things I 'need' for cheap. (curse you, fastgrab, curse you!)

Tho' i take solace in only buying on sale, and as little as possible anymore (Poser compat, Carrara, and G1 stuff) - I like to think it's principle at work, but most likely saturation. sigh.

Without interest in G3, oh, the $weet $avings - maybe a C9 version will change that.

cheers all,

--ms

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I have a few Genesis 3 sets - things that were exactly what I needed at the time (for example, the bouncers outside the Parthenon club), and some sets that are dual-G2/G3. Ryan doesnt interest me, although some of the hair and outfits look interesting (plus Tyler hair works on G2. Looks kinda like a CA hair too, not that I've had much success making CA hair. Phil, how about it?) - there's nothing in the immediate future that would require a youngster. Actually . . . I take that back. Anyhow I have zero budget.

Mostly I like to use G2 & G1, because then I can have setups that'll render in both CA and DS.

Yeah... I like the shapes of G2 much better than G1, so I have quite a few products for that - still not quite as much as I have for G1 though... which is nowhere near as much as I have (and am still collecting) for Geberation 4! 

But I really do like Genesis 2 figures... may just make for more of a jump to that figure. Still waiting for some Rosie hair for it though.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

But I really do like Genesis 2 figures... may just make for more of a jump to that figure. Still waiting for some Rosie hair for it though.

Can't you use AutoFit to use your existing Rosie Hair, or just use that as a prop parented to the head?

PhilW said:

Can't you use AutoFit to use your existing Rosie Hair, or just use that as a prop parented to the head?

Yes. I do that when I do try using G2F as Rosie, but the hair moves oddly when she blinks or changes expressions. It works well for stills, though. I haven't messed with it in a while, but I have a saved file where I've been working towards merging all four layers of Rosie's conforming hairs into one single model - which, when complete, I'll export as a single OBJ and use DS's Content Creation Tools to set it up for G2F - eliminating those issues. 

Another thing holding me back from switching is that I have a really nice animation collection for my generation 4 figures. Like magaremto, I enjoy the look of V4 just fine. But probably most of all is how much longer it seems to take to load DUF into Carrara. I almost have to walk away for a while - where V4, M4 and their stuff just load right in - in a snap! That seems to be true for most CR2 and PP2 files - faster than DUF by a wide margin. I could be mistaken, as I haven't switched - so I'm just mentioning what I notice as a CR2 user occassionally trying DUF. I want to make the switch and support the new technology - I really do.

Another possible option - once you get around to it - is once you have a single exported Rosie Hair, bring it in to Carrara and use VWD's hair simulation on it, I think it works very well on modelled hair, there are a couple of examples you may have seen on my YouTube channel (PhilW222).

I guess I could "Show Hidden Vertices", then name them for easier hiding afterwards, then run VWD, then hide stuff again(?) Maybe I'll try that.

VWD doesn't work for me because most everything has hidden vertices - perhaps other issues unknown to me. (It's also slightly out of my reach - I'd have to save for a while, but I always find other things that fall within my limit that I can get, so it's going to be waiting for quite some time. Twice most DCG things... hmmm - worth it... yes. Are dynamics on my Must-Have list? Not that much... yet)

PhilW said:

Another possible option - once you get around to it - is once you have a single exported Rosie Hair, bring it in to Carrara and use VWD's hair simulation on it, I think it works very well on modelled hair, there are a couple of examples you may have seen on my YouTube channel (PhilW222).

Yeah... I love your examples!!! I'm a subscriber to your channel - so I see them right away! ;)

I am thinking of posting the "sexy walk" cycle that I have been working on to my YouTube channel - watch this space!

is it possible,  import the duf skeleton separately and attach to the collada import?

MistyMist said:

is it possible,  import the duf skeleton separately and attach to the collada import?

Getting Genesis 3's rigging 'into' Carrara isn't the issue. The issue is that Carrara, in its current state, does not support the new type of rigging that makes up the new Genesis 3 quaternion (instead of Triax of Genesis 1 and 2) rig - even though Carrara uses quarternion rotation by default.

It's a whole new technology that has been adopted by the major animation houses of the world... so Daz3d was quick to once again help to drive the forefront of all of this - and they (once again) hit a real home-run!

So now, in order to get Genesis 3 rigging into Carrara, we need to wait for Daz3d to make it happen. For all we know... it's already working - just working out the kinks and, perhaps, doing some other special stuff. It's really too bad that nobody shares any knowledge of this with us... but....

I do recall Ringo (and now magaremtoto - in the Post your Renders thread) has imported the obj of Genesis 3 exported from DS and used that to create Carrara shaders - and was impressed with the mesh.

So we could possibly try bringing in an obj of Genesis 3 and attaching it to the skeleton of Genesis 1 or 2, or even a Generation 4 figure's skeleton and get it working. We could also (what a PITA!!!) rig it ourselves within Carrara. Finger drive me crazy!!! Man, I love the fact that I can buy my figures!!!

I know... it's hard to have all of this Genesis 3 stuff in front of us, and not be able to use it :(

•  

Auto fit using a clone, I used http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-male-for-genesis-2-male-s

save as support asset wardrobe full body

all morphs work, textures and characters load and any G2M and below animations and poses

Visemes and other control facial poses do not work like eye movement mouth open but as welded would not look great anyway

it can use some morph based expressions so you can do a bit of facial movement, maybe I create a few morphs if needed manually like blinking using an obj export import.and morphloader in D|S but I find those do not work in Carrara either.

I used D|S 4.7 BTW as find autofit in D|S 4.9 beta and Carrara suck.

and yes he can wear G2M clothes.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

yes Thanks Wendy, I should try it with the basic clothing set that comes with G3, as that's all I have, if that works for me I might get a cheap set and try that also 

• Stezza said:

yes Thanks Wendy, I should try it with the basic clothing set that comes with G3, as that's all I have, if that works for me I might get a cheap set and try that also 

well no you do it with G3M himself, he is the "clothing"!

it rigs him as G2M

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

+1 yes

ingenious Wendy! thank you

I am just inclined not to bother with Genesis3 stuff, Genesis 2 works pretty well (plus previous generations of course) and although there has been some nice looking stuff for G3 series, I have saved a bunch of cash by not buying anything - and of course, Daz has lost out on a bunch of revenue. Using Carrara is more important to me than using G3 and I can't be bothered to jump through hoops to get a half working solution.

• I only grabbed a bunch as they were cheap.

And it works well in iClone, otherwise yeah have been loading V4 and below a lot in Carrara lately.

has anyone verified the weightmapping is the problem?  converting him to triax, he still crashes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2016

The last news that I am aware is quite old.  For what it is worth, they said the problem was dual quaternion skinning.

"I will say that support for dual quaternion skinning (a prerequisite for Genesis 3 support, and quite useful in its own right) has been implemented and has been with the Private Build testers for several weeks now. Feedback on the feature(s) thus far has been positive. I will also say that earlier this month the Private Build testers were asked what they thought about releasing a build with the dual quaternion skinning support. The responses we got basically boiled down to it not being enough to make much of a difference in the current climate. We [reluctantly] agree, and so decided to hold the feature until Genesis 3 support could be implemented.

And on that note, recently the Private Build testers were given a build that provides their first look at Genesis 3 support. Initial reactions have been positive, however there are a few things that we knew were not working correctly before we gave them the build. We are looking for [and getting] feedback from that team to help us suss out where the other problems are."

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/944221/#Comment_944221

EDIT - that was a year ago.

Post edited by Diomede on
    diomede said:

The last news that I am aware is quite old.  For what it is worth, they said the problem was dual quaternion skinning.

"I will say that support for dual quaternion skinning (a prerequisite for Genesis 3 support, and quite useful in its own right) has been implemented and has been with the Private Build testers for several weeks now. Feedback on the feature(s) thus far has been positive. I will also say that earlier this month the Private Build testers were asked what they thought about releasing a build with the dual quaternion skinning support. The responses we got basically boiled down to it not being enough to make much of a difference in the current climate. We [reluctantly] agree, and so decided to hold the feature until Genesis 3 support could be implemented.

And on that note, recently the Private Build testers were given a build that provides their first look at Genesis 3 support. Initial reactions have been positive, however there are a few things that we knew were not working correctly before we gave them the build. We are looking for [and getting] feedback from that team to help us suss out where the other problems are."

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/944221/#Comment_944221

EDIT - that was a year ago.

so that would mean, the convert to triax doesnt do anything?  
    or saving the g3m converted to triax in ds, doesnt actually save in the figure subset.
    or the wm isnt actually in the figure subset, the wmapping of g3m must be in the data folder files somewhere

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

yes it must be the skinning because if we split armature and mesh within ds and import both withn carrara they work pretty fine separately: the skeleton mantain animations and the mesh keep morphs