DAWG ~ Daz Authors Writers Group ~ Tell Us Your Books, Support Each Other!

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

The authors in this thread- what books have you done lately? I had @ you so hopefully you can update us. 
    Here's books which used some of Ron's brushes, one of the ocean products, and he brought a boat object into the studio to do the render for the cover. It's my hubby's first book!  Background of the book- it is Coast Guard related, so those of you with military service, particularly you Coasties, will feel right at home!  He toned down the military jargon so it would flow nicely, and it's a fun combination of military interacting with aliens, so military meets Sci-Fi! (And the second book includes a romance blossoming from the first book.

Author: Edward Hochsmann 

At Amazon:  Engage at Dawn First Contact

The second book is now pre-order and it continues the story:
    Engage At Dawn Seize and Destroy   This one has renders in it using mostly Daz products. My husband did all of them, and dang, I wish I had learned that fast LOL.

For that second cover, I helped a bit with the flare in the background. He used Luminar for the skies, that bundle from Humble Bundle had Luminar and a lot of other items for only $25 a few months ago in a wonderful package. Luminar has that AI (Artificial Intelligence) to put in skies. If you don't have Luminar, perhaps it will be offered again.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

My friend uses a few of my images as covers for his books. All available as physical books as well as e-books in pretty much every format you can think of.. Also all (I think) are avialable in the OpenDyslexic font whcih can help some dyslexics (I have seen a lovely lady in tears explaining how she, for the fitrst time in her life,. was able to stand in front of her colleagues and read something to them). If any of you are near Eastbourne, in the UK, over Halloween, and it is still on, please drop by and say hello to us at Wyntercon, I'll make sure you get a free copy of one of his books!

@simonJM  I looked, there's a lot of covers. Which ones have your images? There's a nice variety there.

And of course, there's Vella being released (maybe July, I read somewhere) and only US authors can participate. The idea sounds good, but those prices are going to rachet up for consumers it seems. Authors getting 50% royalty from the profits is a good thing, and those token prices are only examples, but books are going to be really pricey from the  YouTube videos I've seen which break it down. How do you all feel about Vella? (It's a new Kindle platform where readers get the first three chapters free, then pay with tokens for each "episode" (aka chapter) after that.  Just Google it. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

updating covers is a project i still need to finish.

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210
    edited April 2021

I updated a lot of my covers with Daz stuff. I still have some to throw at my website. Like this one... 

And this is the book I'm working on...that is writing, and not playing with Daz!

breakingchancecoverdaz-2.jpg
    2500 x 3750 - 4M
    neferara81-1.jpg
    1500 x 2250 - 2M
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Novica said:

@simonJM  I looked, there's a lot of covers. Which ones have your images? There's a nice variety there.

And of course, there's Vella being released (maybe July, I read somewhere) and only US authors can participate. The idea sounds good, but those prices are going to rachet up for consumers it seems. Authors getting 50% royalty from the profits is a good thing, and those token prices are only examples, but books are going to be really pricey from the  YouTube videos I've seen which break it down. How do you all feel about Vella? (It's a new Kindle platform where readers get the first three chapters free, then pay with tokens for each "episode" (aka chapter) after that.  Just Google it. 

Unfortunately, that 50% is 50% after several different departments take there cut from what I've read. There's something about readers being able to buy coins from Apple for reading on Amazon's Vella and Apple takes 30% of that before authors get any money. It's still unsure exactly how much authors will get paid.

That being said, I'm working on the first six episodes of a serial to try Vella out. And yeah, I hear July as well for the launch date.

I'll post later, but I have managed to use Daz assets on at least one of my covers and covers for two other authors. I rendered out some aliens for some Sci-Fi Romance covers. That was a blast, let me tell you.

Here's the video I watched on Vella pricing. 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Novica said:

Yes, there's a lot - he'sprolific!  Sadly the images don't scale on his sites,, so ...

The 1st he used, the first physical book I held in my hands with my wrok as a cover - soom feeling!  And some of my favourites:

A rather hectic 24 hours!

And a couple of short story anthologies

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

@Novica That's some of the information that Amazon has put out for the most part. She does make a few assumptions about chapter length and word counts. Just because Amazon says the upper end of the word count is 5K words doesn't mean that's what most authors will be writing. Amazon is going after the readers on sites like Raddish and Wattpad and most of the episode lengths on those platforms are about 2K. One of the main reasons for that is reader expectation and reader attention spans. They've done lots of studies that seem to indicate the sweet spot for serial episodes is about 2K. That being said, I think my serial episodes will run a little longer than that for what I have planned. I haven't actually sat down to write them yet so that might change.

The key is going to be actually writing a true serial. Amazon doesn't want chopped up novels. I've already heard of some authors thinking that's a good idea. It isn't. Each episode needs to be complete with a cliffhanger. Not a chopped up novel. I'm not sure how Amazon plans to vet that though.

It's so new and there are still so many unknowns until the program actually rolls out. I do plan to have at least a full season's worth of content on there by the time is rolls out to see what happens. I think it could be very profitable for early adopters.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Knittingmommy said:

The key is going to be actually writing a true serial. Amazon doesn't want chopped up novels. I've already heard of some authors thinking that's a good idea. It isn't. Each episode needs to be complete with a cliffhanger. Not a chopped up novel. I'm not sure how Amazon plans to vet that though.

If I were to go by some of the self-published books I've purchased at Amazon, my guess is that there won't be a whole lot of "vetting" going on.

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210

Vella seems to be mimicking Radish, Wattpad and to an extent, FFN and AO3. I wonder it there'll be a lot of P2P with the fanfic sites as most fanfics are tailor-made for this.

I'm in the UK, so just watching from the sidelines *sigh*

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2021

Here is some more information.  A lot of it is regurgitating what is stated on Amazon KDP.  However, there are screen shots of the fields for uploading stories, which might be interesting/useful to those who don't yet have access (non-US) but want to have a story ready to upload as soon as the platform opens up to other countries.  

Kindle Vella: Description, Features, and Tips for Authors (kindlepreneur.com)

This video also shows the uploading process, provides some information, and is interesting as it shows how the story cover/banner might look.

(Sorry, I don't know why the image for the youtube video link is so large)

Post edited by Worlds_Edge on

Yes, I saw that one too. It's going to be a bit more challenging to do an image which must be okay when cropped to circular. I'll have to watch the video again, but I believe that is done for us. That gal's head is too close to the top of the circle, for instance, perhaps cut off.  

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

You can have a square image, then when you upload, shift it around until it is cropped to your satisfaction.  You can actually try it our right now, create a new story title as a test, and try the uploading of a picture.  This is from Amazon:

"Accepted file formats: JPG and TIFF. Recommended dimensions are 1600 x 1600. Your image cannot exceed those dimensions. File size should be 2mb or less."

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i still has david3 on a cover.  i luv him too much to replace him.  and a James poser6

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

Hi, y'all. Lovely work here! Kaye Kaye, that Breaking Chance cover is particularly nice!

I've been writing professionally as Angela Knight since 2004 for Berkley Sensation as a romance novelist.  Unfortunately, I got my butt handed to me in the Great Recession, and around 2017 I got let go, along with a lot of other authors. Most of us got screwed from my generation.

But I now edit and do cover work as well as write for a small romance ePub called Changeling Press. Our submission page is here: https://www.changelingpress.com/submissions.php

Advantage there is that you don't have to pay for editing and proofing. And we have a built-in readership. 

I also teach classes with Savvyauthors.com. I have an online class coming up the month of May called Blastoff Beginnings on how to plot and write a romance novel.

I've written more than 50 novels and novellas. Been doing Daz since Mike 2 or so, 2002. The banner and a lot of the covers on my website are Daz. Berkley's covers were all their art department's, of course.

https://www.angelasknights.com/books.html

I spend way too much money on Daz. But I love the hell out of it, so I can't seem to stop.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

A little late to the party, but I could never pass up an opportunity for a little self promotion (and these days, no author can afford to).

I write science-fiction and fantasy, and my first novella, "The Warrior Within", was published by Tor.com in 2018. If that's the kind of thing that floats your boat, you can find out more on my writing website at https://angus.pw/.

(The cover art for "Warrior", by the way, is by a much more talented artist, concept artist Martin Deschambault. But maybe one day if I improve my DAZ skills, I'll be able to start making my own covers).

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Damsel said:

Hi, y'all. Lovely work here! Kaye Kaye, that Breaking Chance cover is particularly nice!

I've been writing professionally as Angela Knight since 2004 for Berkley Sensation as a romance novelist.  Unfortunately, I got my butt handed to me in the Great Recession, and around 2017 I got let go, along with a lot of other authors. Most of us got screwed from my generation.

But I now edit and do cover work as well as write for a small romance ePub called Changeling Press. Our submission page is here: https://www.changelingpress.com/submissions.php

Advantage there is that you don't have to pay for editing and proofing. And we have a built-in readership. 

I also teach classes with Savvyauthors.com. I have an online class coming up the month of May called Blastoff Beginnings on how to plot and write a romance novel.

I've written more than 50 novels and novellas. Been doing Daz since Mike 2 or so, 2002. The banner and a lot of the covers on my website are Daz. Berkley's covers were all their art department's, of course.

https://www.angelasknights.com/books.html

I spend way too much money on Daz. But I love the hell out of it, so I can't seem to stop.

Your class seems really interesting. You might see me there! 

bytescapes said:

A little late to the party, but I could never pass up an opportunity for a little self promotion (and these days, no author can afford to).

I write science-fiction and fantasy, and my first novella, "The Warrior Within", was published by Tor.com in 2018. If that's the kind of thing that floats your boat, you can find out more on my writing website at https://angus.pw/.

(The cover art for "Warrior", by the way, is by a much more talented artist, concept artist Martin Deschambault. But maybe one day if I improve my DAZ skills, I'll be able to start making my own covers).

That is a beautiful cover! :)  

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

Novica said:

bytescapes said:

That is a beautiful cover! :)  

Martin Deschambault, who did the cover, has a page at Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/dechambo

It was fun working with him. My editor and I picked a scene from the book and sent it to Martin, along with a bunch of reference images (photographs I'd taken on my travels, mostly architectural details of temples and mosques). The reference images were intended just as hints, but he worked them all into the final image, so the temple on the cover is an amazing mix of Thai, Lao, Indian and Jordanian architecture

bytescapes said:

That is a beautiful cover! Congratulations on working with Tor! I'm currently writing a hard SF novel myself. Switching genres after 20 years is more of a stretch than I expected. 

If you're interested in my class, it's 12 lessons, posted in a forum, MWF, over the course of a month. You also get private critiques of your work via email. Price for the class is $40. More info here:

https://savvyauthors.com/community/classes/blastoff-beginnings-writing-opening-chapters-that-take-readers-along-for-the-ride-w-angela-knight.1614/

Thanks for indulging me on this.

Angela Knight

Damsel said:

If you're interested in my class, it's 12 lessons, posted in a forum, MWF, over the course of a month. You also get private critiques of your work via email. Price for the class is $40. More info here:

https://savvyauthors.com/community/classes/blastoff-beginnings-writing-opening-chapters-that-take-readers-along-for-the-ride-w-angela-knight.1614/

Angela Knight

I've looked at some of your work and I definitely think you can teach me some things! So I went ahead and signed up. The coupon for signing up early was nice. I'm really looking forward to it. :D

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,985

~   an interesting subject noneless    ~

certaintree38 said:

Damsel said:

Angela Knight

I've looked at some of your work and I definitely think you can teach me some things! So I went ahead and signed up. The coupon for signing up early was nice. I'm really looking forward to it. :D

Thank you very much! I look forward to working with you.

• NerevarineNerevarine Posts: 165
    edited May 2021

Oh, my people!

I really do need to get back into writing more. I've been polishing off an erotica, but that called for real people in the cover rather than daz renders. This is a premade book cover I made today though. All Daz. :) I really enjoy using Daz in my work. It also lets me craft portraits or scenes from my novels which helps to keep me inspired!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,514
    edited May 2021

MidnightCoffee said:

Oh, my people!

I really do need to get back into writing more. I've been polishing off an erotica, but that called for real people in the cover rather than daz renders. This is a premade book cover I made today though. All Daz. :) I really enjoy using Daz in my work. It also lets me craft portraits or scenes from my novels which helps to keep me inspired!

Nice job. Nice palette. Polishing a novel is a crucial final step. And I stress final, meaning if you polish several times it was never a final polish. The best way to polish off a novel is to leave it for a while and start writing your next one. After you get a few chapters down, revisist the first one with fresh eyes. Do one final polish and publish. Because if you are already at the polish stage it's too easy to get caugh in National Authors Groundhog Polish Day, and polish forever. Books are like furniture and cars. You can polish the same one forever and still find imperfections, if not today, tomorrow. And there truly is no such thing as perfect.

MidnightCoffee said:

Oh, my people!

Sent you a message with Daz mail. 

edited May 2021

ArtAngel said:

MidnightCoffee said:

Oh, my people!

Nice job. Nice palette. Polishing a novel is a crucial final step. And I stress final, meaning if you polish several times it was never a final polish. The best way to polish off a novel is to leave it for a while and start writing your next one. After you get a few chapters down, revisist the first one with fresh eyes. Do one final polish and publish. Because if you are already at the polish stage it's too easy to get caugh in National Authors Groundhog Polish Day, and polish forever. Books are like furniture and cars. You can polish the same one forever and still find imperfections, if not today, tomorrow. And there truly is no such thing as perfect.

Haha, yes. My writing method is somewhat strange to most. The bulk of work is done in the revision - as in, it's a complete rewrite from the ground up with editing, a few weeks after the MS is done. After that, a final check through and off to Amazon it goes. Nothing will ever be perfect. :)

certaintree38 said:

MidnightCoffee said:

Oh, my people!

Sent you a message with Daz mail. 

Thank you, yes, I have replied. :)