Carrara Challenge #26: “Caustics and Nautical”

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I can see 4 shark fins without difficulty... the image is coming along great.. I rather like the old trunk with legs...

great works on the caustics... I won't be doing that... it's taking long enough already to get a hull that's doable lol

great work yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Ahhhh, a fictional chest... that explains why I've not seen one before. :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2016

here's a dragon in amber, most of the light comes from caustic reflections off those little particles

I also lit up the cherry trees, the dragon has no light source that affects it bar the reflections

amberdragoncroppedbig.jpg
    2000 x 1807 - 1008K
    amberdragoncroppesmallerd.jpg
    2983 x 1771 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    wgdjohn said:

Ahhhh, a fictional chest... that explains why I've not seen one before. :)

Not just fictional, but magical too. Not only will it follow its owner to the edge of the world, and even over it, but it will eat your enemies and of course, neatly press your laundry.

head wax, Wow!

TangoAlpha, Thanks for reminding me... forgot to do laundry yesterday... I know I call upon the chest and it will magically be ready when I awake.

edited July 2016

trying some caustics.... to see cool

all seeing eye.jpg
    640 x 480 - 286K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza, that is impressing.

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited July 2016

Im still messing with this but my first thought when I saw the challenge was to try and combine the two, but since I did not model the boat myself this will be a caustics entry.

I've not used that setting before so any suggestions to improve the effect will be appreciated!

whats on my boat.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by pnewhook on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    pnewhook said:

Im still messing with this but my first thought when I saw the challenge was to try and combine the two, but since I did not model the boat myself this will be a caustics entry.

I've not used that setting before so any suggestions to improve the effect will be appreciated!

You dont have to model the boat just adjust the shaders and is countsas a new shader and as a nautical theme.

You dont have to have them both in the same render.

edited July 2016
    pnewhook said:

Very good. While I'm not a caustics genius... I do have a question/critique... are you going for a very dark background? My understanding of caustics is light passing through an object and creating havoc to produce unusual and artisic effects by bouncing the light around like through a prism. If I were working on your WIP I'd try with a light that only shines on the glass bottle for the boat and let caustics do all the work. Try a few different lights for caustics... picture the figure's face being lit up by caustics or caustics streaming through her fingers while bouncing in unpreditable directions. I might be wrong but consider an HDR/HDRI to be a form of caustics. Just my opinion. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited July 2016

Just remembered about this entry I did for one of Mark Bremmer's competitions on Rendo last year. Maybe it'll give someone a few ideas . . .

ShipInBottle3b.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 605K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on

Just remembered about this entry I did for one of Mark Bremmer's competitions on Rendo last year. Maybe it'll give someone a few ideas . .

Wow that's amazing!  Yes that definitley spurs a few ideas.  Not sure I'm that good though 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2016

pnewhook - I'd encourage you to go for it.  You have a great idea.  I think you already have a good handle, but people are very helpful if you get stuck.  Just ask questions.  I tried a ship-in-a-bottle render for one of the earlier challenges and people very generously gave me tips and advice.  See this WIP thread - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44033/august-carrara-monthly-challenge-size-matters-wip-thread/p1     There are several other helpful explanations in that thread as well.   Check out Dustrider's explanations of his WIPs for his figurine in a glass case, for example.    Here are some of the steps along the way to make my entry for that challenge, but the thread includes a lot more detail. For example, it shows how I made the pebble filler for the bottle.

Stezza and Headwax, just awesome. 

aaa1 bottle.jpg
    640 x 480 - 23K
    aaa2 bottle.jpg
    640 x 480 - 27K
    aaa3 bottle.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
    aaa5 bottle.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 223K
    Post edited by Diomede on

My water was an ocean primitive, converted to a vertex object and scaled to look more stormy. I booleaned it with a copy of the inside of the bottle and joined the bits to give a solid water object. The boat is trraight out of the store, and positioned in such a way that you can't see the water goes right through it! The leaking water was a particle emmitter in the mouth of the bottle, firing metaballs. Run the simulation for a few seconds and let gravity do the rest. I used the same stock water shader, but I don't think it really works. The competition was time limited so I never got the chance to investigate why. The window ledge is from an early WIP of Hemlock Folly.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2016

pnewhook - one suggestion that I have is to use either a simple room or a 3d-spherical image in the scene background when doing your tests.  The reason is because the bottle will need something to reflect.  If you have an empty scene, there isn't much for the glass shader to work with.  At the testing stage, the room or the spherical backgound doesn't need to be anything fancy.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

note with my Caustics tests earlier I had the plane with a shiny surface to reflect the caustic effect which worked well.

I also had one Caustic feed (sphere) the next item (cube).

edited July 2016

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Still WIP as I'm playing with the shaders but I think it is coming along.  Added a background, sunlight, atmosphere, and that all helps in the effect through the bottle.

I also increased the size of her 'object of attention' on the boat.

Whats on my Boat?

whats on my boat 2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by pnewhook on

Very good!

thanks wgdjohn  and @diomede  , diomede  those hands are perfectly posed!

stezza, another brilliant foray, pnewhook  welcome and that;s a great composition and idea.

you could try a spot in the mouth of the bottle facing the woman's face and have it set to light up just the boat and the woman's face.

that would add more dimension to the boat and fill in her face (unless it m akes a dirty big shadow on her face!!) :)

or you could have two, one for the boat, one for the face,

the glass will still pick up the light from the two objects, not directly

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    pnewhook said:

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Still WIP as I'm playing with the shaders but I think it is coming along.  Added a background, sunlight, atmosphere, and that all helps in the effect through the bottle.

Whats on my Boat?

Very cool - I like this a lot so far. 

For the atmosphere, are you using the realistic sky?  The clouds look a little bit flat to me; you might want to play with those some, or you could drop in a couple volumetric clouds (although you might take a big hit in render times that may or may not be worth it to you).

edited July 2016

For Realistic Sky, look at some of the presets - they have much better clouds for one thing (and if youve installed any of Howie's landscapes or Tim Payne's sky sets, you'll have access to their settings too. Use as is, or as a base for further tweakage.

The neck of your bottle looks a little odd -- as if it's at a different angle to the rest of the bottle . . .

What would be a great corollory to that image is the POV of the guy on the boat smiley

presets.png
    253 x 563 - 64K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

where's the time flying?  - gotta get to work!

i learned how to mirror and merge model in the wildwest challenge, "the sherif badge"
    forgot what the trick was, something with the drawing planes i think.
    me brain a bit foggy, need a nap to clear the webs
    it's hott out RealFeel®99°T-storm comin.

Hi there's a manual on line

as far as I remember, duplicate will duplkicatre around the drawing plane, so you have to put your drawing plane in right place via

Changing the Drawing Plane

To make your work easier, you can change the Drawing plane to different axes and move it to a selection or a specific set of coordinates. You can also drag it to any position you like.

The easiest and quickest way to move the drawing plane and the working box to a specific position is to Command/Ctrl+click the vertex, edge or polygon where to move it.

To move the Drawing plane to a selection:

1. Select the vertex, polygon, or group of vertices with which you want to align the Drawing plane.

2. Be sure the Selection tool is chosen.

3. Command/Ctrl+click your mouse.

If the selection is a single vertex, Carrara centers the Drawing plane on that vertex without changing the plane's orientation.

If the selection is a group of vertices or a polygon, Carrara moves the Drawing plane to the plane shared by those vertices. If the vertices lie in different planes, the Drawing plane is moved so that all the selected points are as near the Drawing plane as possible.

To reset the working box position to its original position, Command/Ctrl+click an empty area of the 3D View or choose View> Reset Working Box.

To send the Drawing plane to specific coordinates:

1. Choose View menu> Send Drawing Plane to. The Send Plane dialog appears

2. Specify the universe's X, Y, and Z coordinates to which you want to move the Drawing plane.

3. Enable a plane option:

• Drawing plane Moves the Drawing plane on the axis perpendicular to itself by the amount you specify. For instance, you could move a Drawing plane lying on the X and Y axes by the specified amount on the Z axisonly.

• Drawing plane centered Moves the Drawing plane on the axis perpendicular to itself by the amount you specify, centering it on the remaining coordinates. For instance, you could move a Drawing plane lying on the X and Y axes by a specified amount on the Z axis, centering it on the X and Y axes.

• All planes Moves the origin of the working box to the specified coordinates, centering all planes. Note that this option moves the working box itself.

1. Click OK.

Duplicating Objects

You can duplicate an object with the Duplicate and Duplicate with Symmetry commands.

When you choose Duplicate, a second copy of the object is created at the same location as the original.

When you choose Duplicate with Symmetry, the copy mirrors the original object. The Drawing plane behaves differently from usual in that neither the object nor its duplicate is placed on the Drawing plane, but on either other side of it.

Objects can be duplicated with symmetry.

To duplicate an object:

1. Select the object you want to duplicate.

2. Choose Edit menu> Duplicate or press Command/Ctrl+D.

To duplicate an object with symmetry:

1. Move the Drawing plane so that when used as a mirror, it will reflect the original object.

2. Select the object you want to mirror.

3. Do one of the following:

• Choose Edit menu> Duplicate with Symmetry

• Press Command+Option+D/Ctrl+Alt+D.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Wow!!! Cool Stuff, all!!! 

Nice subject - Lots of wonderful caustics examples going on too! :)

Mark, that Blender image is really cool!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    pnewhook said:

Whats on my Boat?

I Love this!!! 

I'll use my endeavour model in this challenge but as a distance shot to cover up the far from finished work... 

edited July 2016

First render... no postwork

Terra Australis

Terra Australis B4post.jpg
    800 x 600 - 395K
    screen shot WiP.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 408K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Endeavour is looking good.

edited July 2016

wow that looks great Stezza!!

Here's experiment from me, there are a whol lote of reflectors in this scene (and refractors)

there is only one bulb and  that bulb is set to light only the little blue sphere on the floor, so one image with caustics off (the black one) and one with caustics on,

the sky is just a very low infinirty plane, the main light on the boys comes from a reflector plane set up behind the camera - weird moire pattern on the suits though

causticsoff.jpg
    900 x 1000 - 12K
    Doc2.jpg
    900 x 1000 - 125K
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1883 x 1295 - 299K
    Post edited by Headwax on