Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Rendered in two parts (plus an object mask).
    Clouds rendered at 4RPP
    Rest of scene rendered at 36RPP

Pirate-Beach.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 232K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969
    Bridge_to_start2_to_cel1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 140K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @eireann: I'll have to give that one a try. It took these old eyes a moment to realize which choice you were referring to. I didn't think the plugin had installed properly, but it did.
    Dear Guss,
    if you rihtclick on a scene, then there should be a plugins incubator., only if you have installed that tar.gz file.
    The plugins incubator should be full with stuff if you have correctly installed ManifoldLab.
    Something missing is spline operations.
    I think thats something that belongs into every 3D shapemaker but Wings doesnt have it.
    I dont know if Hexagon can do it. The only thing I tried with Hexagon was Booleaning but I found it very complicated.
    edited December 1969

Nice renders that sitting lady on the cubes.
    What would you do if you needed fine tuning of the ladies pose?
    Always jump between DS and Bryce until is is as you want it? Bryce doesnt let you manipulate the bones.
    edited November 2012

Nice renders that sitting lady on the cubes.
    What would you do if you needed fine tuning of the ladies pose?
    Always jump between DS and Bryce until is is as you want it? Bryce doesnt let you manipulate the bones.

I don't really understand DS well enough to answer that question yet. In Bryce she is fixed. What I've done is sort out the pose and then fiddle with the materials. As things stand, I'd have to send a new version of her out from DS and re-allocate the materials one by one. Which would be a pain.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited November 2012

David, I enjoyed watching all new video experiments. What is SSS-just curious – I have not installed Daz yet? :roll:

There are some nice experiments by Rareth and interesting work by Dan, TheSavage and Electro-Elvis

A quick question.

The random materials that are applied to terrains or planes when one creates them are these materials part of the presets or something Bryce applies randomly and they are not found in the presets. Thanks

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

I dont know if Hexagon can do it. The only thing I tried with Hexagon was Booleaning but I found it very complicated.
    Just had a look at a couple-a Hexagon tuts.
    Even the people that made the tutorials make it look difficult because of too many ...ooopses
    but it looks as if it can do a lot of things, if you spend a lot of time learning it and trying to understand that flood of very little meaning icons.
    edited December 1969

David, I enjoyed watching all new video experiments. What is SSS-just curious – I have not installed Daz yet? :roll:

There are some nice experiments by Rareth and interesting work by Dan, TheSavage and Electro-Elvis

A quick question.

The random materials that are applied to terrains or planes when one creates them are these materials part of the presets or something Bryce applies randomly and they are not found in the presets. Thanks

Sub Surface Scattering - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss8Dr1WidjY

As for the random materials I believe they are texture components taken from the materials in the terrains section.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Even the people that made the tutorials make it look difficult because of too many ...ooopses
    but it looks as if it can do a lot of things, if you spend a lot of time learning it and trying to understand that flood of very little meaning icons.

I fully agree with you. I know Wings3D a bit. It is not that simple either (especially if you are making complexer stuff), but Hexagon is a beast. Of course a few things are easier than in Wings3D, but even simple things could get a real pain. E.g. to make a simple cylinder that top and bottom get not bowed after smoothing.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I fully agree with you. I know Wings3D a bit. It is not that simple either (especially if you are making complexer stuff), but Hexagon is a beast. Of course a few things are easier than in Wings3D, but even simple things could get a real pain. E.g. to make a simple cylinder that top and bottom get not bowed after smoothing.

there are some excellent Hexagon tutorials here

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon.php

edited December 1969

Another bit of simple modelling.

Barrels.jpg
    620 x 620 - 208K
    edited December 1969

I fully agree with you. I know Wings3D a bit. It is not that simple either (especially if you are making complexer stuff), but Hexagon is a beast. Of course a few things are easier than in Wings3D, but even simple things could get a real pain. E.g. to make a simple cylinder that top and bottom get not bowed after smoothing. And all those options you can click on after having made a change to a value. Even the experts get confused...which button to push now? Accept or Validate?
    Nothing should be pushed. You make a change in a field and as soon as you leave that field the changes take place.
    The Interface is not intuitive at all.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I fully agree with you. I know Wings3D a bit. It is not that simple either (especially if you are making complexer stuff), but Hexagon is a beast. Of course a few things are easier than in Wings3D, but even simple things could get a real pain. E.g. to make a simple cylinder that top and bottom get not bowed after smoothing. And all those options you can click on after having made a change to a value. Even the experts get confused...which button to push now? Accept or Validate?
    Nothing should be pushed. You make a change in a field and as soon as you leave that field the changes take place.

Haven't used Hex yet - is it more difficult than Blender?

edited November 2012

And all those options you can click on after having made a change to a value. Even the experts get confused...which button to push now? Accept or Validate?

Haven't used Hex yet - is it more difficult than Blender?Is there anything more difficult / unintuitive than Blender?
    Hexagon is difficult and weird.
    Its starts with creating an object. You are asked to put it at a specific place, which always goes wrong because you never hit the spot correctly in a 3D environment looking at a 2D screen.
    People should just click on an object they want to create and its placed at position 0,0,0 with a predetermined size.

Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

Haven't used Hex yet - is it more difficult than Blender?Is there anything more difficult / unintuitive than Blender?
    Hexagon is difficult and weird.
    Its starts with creating an object. You are asked to put it at a specific place, which always goes wrong because you never hit the spot correctly in a 3D environment looking at a 2D screen.
    People should just click on an object they want to create and its placed at position 0,0,0 with a predetermined size.

@Rareth: Thank you very much for the link

@cjreynolds: I am afraid I can not anything about blender.

@eireann.sg: Hold the Shift-key, before you select the 3D-object, e.g. sphere and it should be placed at the position 0,0,0.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,378
    edited December 1969

@ David-thanks for the link

@ Dave – excellent work, do you do all your modeling in Bryce?

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with other 3D programs. I found Wings 3D easy to use although the only attempts were following David’s excellent tutorials. I haven’t used any other programs and I haven’t done any modeling in Bryce except the wagon I started – Robin Wood’s tutorials, and did not complete it yet. I would like to get into modeling at later stage and its cool reading about the pros and cons on the different 3D programs available.

edited December 1969

If I need to make something from scratch yes, I always use Bryce... Though I don't tend to need anything too complex for my paid work.
    Sometimes I will alter ready made models and in those cases, I also use SketchUp and Poser8, simply because of the amount of free stuff available to use as a basis for what I need.
    edited December 1969

@eireann.sg: Hold the Shift-key, before you select the 3D-object, e.g. sphere and it should be placed at the position 0,0,0.

Firstly thanks for the tip.
    I wonder why they havent chosen to let people hold the Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Hex keys and then click both mouse keys at the same time.

I think objects should be by default created at 0.0.0. size 1,1,1.
    Anything else should require additional keys.

edited December 1969

Bryce doesnt allow you to do any modelling unless you talk about trees and terrains.
    edited November 2012

Firstly thanks for the tip.
    I wonder why they havent chosen to let people hold the Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Hex keys and then click both mouse keys at the same time.

I think objects should be by default created at 0.0.0. size 1,1,1.
    Anything else should require additional keys.

You are right, til now I cannot see any advantage of the hexagon not to do this. BTW Another possibility is... After you have positioned your object and hit "validate" / or "apply" or the enter-key oder anyhow ;-) then you will see the coordinates in the window, where the validate and apply button is. There you can change now the position with entering your desired position 0,0,0

Hm, suddenly it seems I quote myself 8-)

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited November 2012

Bryce doesnt allow you to do any modelling unless you talk about trees and terrains.

What about boolean modeling? Haven't you ever seen the Bryce Master series The Great Hall where the entire scene is built out of booleans made with primitives? Have you not seen the work of Bryce artists that create complex machinary the same way? Modeling in Bryce goes far beyond trees and terrains although it's not easy and I would say one needs to be very skilled at visualizing 3D objects in their mind.

I'm pretty sure David knows the artist who does the complex machinary that I'm talking about and will post examples of his work but then there is also someone else who has posted in this very thread or at least the part 1 version of this thread that recreated car parts and other things in great detail. Unfortunately I forget his name but perhaps he'll chime in as well with examples of impressive modeling in Bryce.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2012

I agree with Mark I have posted this before, but I built all the buildings in this image in Bryce, and also the hand cart. Not the jaunting cart or Stagecoach though.

lusk_snow_pic.jpg
    700 x 525 - 179K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Hm, suddenly it seems I quote myself 8-)

I have got the same impression LOL
    Its just too complicated and ineffective.
    edited December 1969

What about boolean modeling? Haven't you ever seen the Bryce Master series The Great Hall where the entire scene is built out of booleans made with primitives?

Do you really consider that modelling?
    In the end you can make a shape that hast the volume of all shapes involved and its even possible that you cant put the final shape properly on the ground because when pushing the "Land objects" button it follows the bounding box and not the object. The final object can be smaller than the bounding box.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,524
    edited December 1969

Bryce doesnt allow you to do any modelling unless you talk about trees and terrains

This is absolutely untrue. Look at the models by Alan Armstrong, a very gifted Bryce modeler. Or PiXi, here's an example: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4347 Bryce is an excellent modeler if you've got the hang of booleans.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,524
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I agree with Mark I have posted this before, but I built all the buildings in this image in Bryce, and also the hand cart. Not the jaunting cart or Stagecoach though.

At first, I thought I've seen this one already, but that's not the case. It's your style that made me think so. Very nice render, indeed.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    chohole said:

At first, I thought I've seen this one already, but that's not the case. It's your style that made me think so. Very nice render, indeed.

Actually I have posted an image with the village before. I have used the village a couple of times for different renders.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Bryce doesnt allow you to do any modelling unless you talk about trees and terrains

This is absolutely untrue. Look at the models by Alan Armstrong, a very gifted Bryce modeler. Or PiXi, here's an example: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4347 Bryce is an excellent modeler if you've got the hang of booleans.

I see what you mean,
    but you still end up with enormous shapes that cant be put on the ground because the function follows the bounding box and because the resulting mesh can be complicate the renders can take very long.
    Here a shape I made of 7 spheres, and put it on the ground.

bloop_006.jpg
    854 x 666 - 28K
    bloop_005.jpg
    959 x 670 - 306K
    bloop_004.jpg
    885 x 651 - 21K
    edited December 1969

You would probably hate to see the wire frame of my village, but you can see that I have everything on the ground, not floating.

It may not be quite as intuitive as modelling programs are to some people, but I personally love modelling with booleans within Bryce,

I have been known to say that it is not true modelling per se, more like using building blocks, with the advantage of having subtractive building blocks as well as additive ones.

But it is fun, some of us love using booleam operations, and some (ie like the Person Horo linked to) have created some masterpieces.

Horses for courses.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited November 2012

chohole said:
    You would probably hate to see the wire frame of my village, but you can see that I have everything on the ground, not floating.

It may not be quite as intuitive as modelling programs are to some people, but I personally love modelling with booleans within Bryce,

I have been known to say that it is not true modelling per se, more like using building blocks, with the advantage of having subtractive building blocks as well as additive ones.

But it is fun, some of us love using booleam operations, and some (ie like the Person Horo linked to) have created some masterpieces.

Horses for courses.

Booleans the Lego Bricks of the 3D modeling world,

on a side note, Metaballs still take forever to render when you have a few of them in a scene

Post edited by Rareth on
This discussion has been closed.