Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Rareth
    Nice renders, but don't get any hopes up about FreeCAD until you try it because it's not the same sort of thing as Wings and Hexagon etc.

@David
    Don't worry about the geometry unless you are forced to do it using two geometries, and even then, it's just a matter of using a shell operation on your sweater or whatever clothes geometry you wish. Any geometry basically just needs to be moved outwards slightly along it's normals. It's an issue only if you let it be. But anyway, best to test using the spheres because at least that way any geometry discrepancies can't get in the way of visualising while you tweak it.

Already sounds as if two is needed then, that's a shame although I thought as much. As for the ticket, already supported that one, I remember that was for what resulted in being the in-scattering effect, but don't see how it effects the Angora thing unless you have a trick up your sleeve already!

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    @Rareth
    Nice renders, but don't get any hopes up about FreeCAD until you try it because it's not the same sort of thing as Wings and Hexagon etc.

@David
    Don't worry about the geometry unless you are forced to do it using two geometries, and even then, it's just a matter of using a shell operation on your sweater or whatever clothes geometry you wish. Any geometry basically just needs to be moved outwards slightly along it's normals. It's an issue only if you let it be. But anyway, best to test using the spheres because at least that way any geometry discrepancies can't get in the way of visualising while you tweak it.

Already sounds as if two is needed then, that's a shame although I thought as much. As for the ticket, already supported that one, I remember that was for what resulted in being the in-scattering effect, but don't see how it effects the Angora thing unless you have a trick up your sleeve already!

one of the things to consider is if you DO succeed in recreating Angora with Bryce, it's not going to transfer to other programs

edited December 1969

He'll definitely succeed, he already knows the basics of how to get such an effect even if I'd never mentioned two geometries. I was pondering whether I should mention the two geometries or not, but I thought I'd better just to try and push him to manage it with just one (which would be much better if it could be done). I suppose if the light hits it right then you could skip the base geometry and let the Volumetric hold it's own effect, but it would probably have to be so dense it would lose the right effect and you would still need geometry beneath it anyway otherwise it would just look like a Volumetric material.

The problem I faced was that I couldn't get the DTE to do what I wanted so that I could get it to work right with the hardness control for the Volumetric. I remember that vividly, I'd never messed around with the Volumetric slider settings so much. But I remember that video David made recently about creating skinny blades of grass in the DTE and even having control over the directions of them! I only wish I had a grasp of that level of control when I was messing around with it. I don't have now, never mind back then.

But anyway, we don't want it being able to transfer over to other programs, although that should be possible with any renderer that has Volumetric materials or Voxels.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Several tricks...

OK, so this one has a valid mechanism. But I need to now look at how it is held together.

edge3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 604K
    edited December 1969

Filthy crossposter!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,524
    edited December 1969

The cutting edge of the centre one is particularly convincing. I have a problem with the one with thr blade half out. The angle seems queer to me. Otherwise, excellent models and light.

edited December 1969

I think it looks viable although I don't like the body colour or square pattern.

edited December 1969

Several tricks...

OK, so this one has a valid mechanism. But I need to now look at how it is held together.

Nice Work, very impressive, I'll take one

edited December 1969

When you still patrolled Platzspitz they only did Heroin and Shit and now its worse, right? LOL
    Do they still distribute free syringes with the syringe packages lying all over the place?

That was fashinable in the late sixties and early seventies. No idea what they do now. Probably nothing you could learn anything decent from watching.
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    He'll definitely succeed, he already knows the basics of how to get such an effect even if I'd never mentioned two geometries. I was pondering whether I should mention the two geometries or not, but I thought I'd better just to try and push him to manage it with just one (which would be much better if it could be done). I suppose if the light hits it right then you could skip the base geometry and let the Volumetric hold it's own effect, but it would probably have to be so dense it would lose the right effect and you would still need geometry beneath it anyway otherwise it would just look like a Volumetric material.

The problem I faced was that I couldn't get the DTE to do what I wanted so that I could get it to work right with the hardness control for the Volumetric. I remember that vividly, I'd never messed around with the Volumetric slider settings so much. But I remember that video David made recently about creating skinny blades of grass in the DTE and even having control over the directions of them! I only wish I had a grasp of that level of control when I was messing around with it. I don't have now, never mind back then.

But anyway, we don't want it being able to transfer over to other programs, although that should be possible with any renderer that has Volumetric materials or Voxels.

20 mins on the render on my first attempt, and any attempt David makes will certainly exceed what ever I come up with, so well see when it's done cooking

edited December 1969

Cool, hurry up then, lets see it! :-)

Actually, now that I think about it I think Rashad would have been candidate for this one as well. He managed that fancy velvet thingummy on a single material so who knows what he might have devised. Then again I'm still waiting to see his rain scene with the scruffy Femme Fatale!

edited December 1969

ok Angora first pass Single Material looks more lace than fuzzy sweater..

Angora-Test1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 466K
    edited December 1969

Angora 2nd Try, part of the problem is trying to get it to look fuzzy without making it too transparent and having the image pulled for naughty bits.

this looks somewhat better

Angora-Test2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 401K
    edited December 1969

It looks nothing like Angora, but that said, it has a cool look of it's own!
    Pity the pattern didn't have a thickness to it, because if you pulled that same pattern off with a Volumetric, it would look quite neat.

edited December 2012

pumeco said:
    Pity the pattern didn't have a thickness to it, because if you pulled that same pattern off with a Volumetric, it would look quite neat.

it is a volumetric material, they both are, you just really need two copies of the same object to get the fuzzy factor

Post edited by Rareth on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Missed one day and had to back up 5 pages to catch up.

@Rareth & eireann: You two are doing some nice work in Wings. And getting some fine results using them in Bryce.

@Dave: Thanks for that short tutorial. It will come in handy, and something new to me.

@David: Your first knives do look like they've been in someone's tool box for some time. Were I a person who liked these type knives, your second image would be the one I'd buy. The top blade angle of the third image doesn't look right to me so that knife wouldn't be on my list to buy. However, all three images are smashing. Really a nice job.

My two cents on using Bryce for modeling, is that you're going to use the 3D program you're most comfortable with. The easiest for you to learn, and depending on your patience, the one which gives you the results you're after. To say one 3D program is better than the next is like saying it's better to race an Indy car than a NASCAR car. Both travel as high speeds, both will get you to the finish line if you have the skills and the car lasts, but for some, Indy cars make them a much better driver than NASCAR cars. It's the same with 3D programs.

Find the one(s) that give you the results you want and learn them to the point where you can get them to stand up and sing to the world.

edited December 1969

Well I tell you what, if that's a Volumetric then you're well on your way to making it magnificent. When I tried it there was no way I could get that sharpness out of it. Either they radically altered something or I haven't a clue how to use Volumetric at even the basic level.

Are you sure that's a Volumetric material, you're not mixing it up with Volumetric World or anything?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    pumeco said:

it is a volumetric material, they both are, you just really need two copies of the same object to get the fuzzy factor

Or of course true displacement, working properly.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    Well I tell you what, if that's a Volumetric then you're well on your way to making it magnificent. When I tried it there was no way I could get that sharpness out of it. Either they radically altered something or I haven't a clue how to use Volumetric at even the basic level.

Are you sure that's a Volumetric material, you're not mixing it up with Volumetric World or anything?

Volumetric materials when applied to mesh's behave oddly. You can test this simply by applying a volume material to a stone - which is a mesh, or a terrain... and the same material to a Bryce primitive sphere. Which is why... you might have to go down a different route - like that used for the grass effect.

edited December 2012

Never mind, I just realised what's happening. Your geometry for the clothes has no thickness to it. If your clothes were a solid so that there are no hollows to it, it would look totally different because the material would take on a volume.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 2012

Sorry Pam, David, filthy crossposters again!

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Rareth said:
    pumeco said:

Or of course true displacement, working properly.

yes that would be nice.

edited December 1969

Is it just me or are others having a problem with the forum?
    It's as if it suddenly stops loading the page half-way through a thread and stuff like that.

It's been happening for a few days now.

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    It's as if it suddenly stops loading the page half-way through a thread and stuff like that.

been happening quite abit, I blame the season

edited December 1969

Cheers Rareth.

edited December 1969

pumeco said:

Had that on Chrome, not on Firefox.
    edited December 1969

Ah, Cheers Horo, that explains it then 'cause I'm still having to use Chrome on the DAZ forums!

I'm not 100% sure what's causing it, but when I use Firefox on here, and sites like Google Images and Flickr, the scrolling feels really choppy. It's annoying because I've been using Firefox almost exclusively for months now (just not here). I think it's got something to do with the latest nVidia driver I installed because it never used to be like that. Ever since I installed it even my desktop icons on boot load with a visible delay. It's an official driver as well, it's from their site.

Won't be re-installing this driver after a reformat, put it that way.
    If there isn't a new one by then, I'm going back to the previous driver.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:

Yes, it keeps cutting off my post halfwa

edited December 1969

It could actually come in handy as well:
    Just purchase a new car and knock a few zeros off courtesy of Google Chrome!

That'll be a tenner then, sir.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

˙ɹǝsʍoɹq uɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʍǝu ǝɥʇ pɐoluʍop sı op oʇ pǝǝu noʎ llɐ ˙˙˙ǝuıɟ ƃuıʞɹoʍ llɐ s,ʇı 'ʍou pǝxıɟ s,ʇı

This discussion has been closed.