Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

_ PJF _ said:
    Don't know much about history...

but I do know that I can't figure out where I've gone wrong with setting up the tutorial scene. Whilst this is low noise for boost light use, it's way higher than appears in David's scenes. There's aliasing too.

Actual size at 256 AD - sorry, rpp.

My scenes are mostly lit with a large fairly even TA light-sources and that helps a lot with the noise. Also... I often add one or two normal radial lights here and there, because this also reduces noise.

In your example, your predominant light source is relatively speaking small. And the smaller it gets the worse the noise gets I've found. So what I would do is put a few ordinary radial lights inside the lit sphere that don't include the lit sphere as a target and supplement the TA effect. It won't be as nice and pure as your original example, but it should help with the noise.

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The bridge

TheBridge.jpg
    750 x 500 - 349K
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    The bridge

Any more light?
    It looks so dark and in the dark all details get lost.
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:
    @Rareth

better now ?

it looks great, although I'm not the one that commented on the DOF in the first render.

edited December 1969

ok screen grabs of the specular halo setting I've been playing with, I'm sure the guru's could come up with a better way to do this.. or even make what I've done work alot better than what I have done so far..

also attached a wire showing how the dome lights are set in the scene.

wireframe.jpg
    661 x 505 - 152K
    specular-halo-combined.jpg
    1676 x 800 - 327K
    edited December 1969

@eireann.sg

better now ?

TheBridge4.jpg
    750 x 500 - 411K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

This is a beautiful scene, Roland. If you contemplated it that way, than everything is fine. My suggestion would be to add a stronger light from a direction, e.g. sunlight, to give it more contrast. The lit part are only a bit brighter than the shadows. This would also give the scene a better 3D feeling.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. Over the scene in the middle is a blue Radial Light with 0 specular and 4 diffuse and no shadow. Behind the camera is the same but the color is a dark red.

edited December 1969

and now i have add a additional Radial Light from the direction of the sun.

TheBridge6.jpg
    750 x 500 - 414K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 1969

As I said, the artist is the final judge of his/her artwork. Personally, I think it improved.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

Do you, by any chance, use a Mac? Just curious..

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Brrrrr...cold tonight in the observatory. Still, that galaxy in the ‘scope’s eyepiece would warm the coldest of astronomer hearts.

Title: “Moments in the eye”.

Jay

observatory2b.jpg
    1200 x 599 - 539K
    observatory2a.jpg
    1200 x 650 - 490K
    edited December 1969

Roland4 said:

Do you, by any chance, use a Mac? Just curious..

No, win 7 PC.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

I am not the fastest, I know. That's why I was still working on a knife (David and Dave inspired me to it). It is a pure Bryce model. All materials are from the library. An ordinary sky.

knife.jpg
    640 x 480 - 29K
  • GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Trying something that looks better. Two rocks, and two terrains. Basically, water level, with a ground plane and the 4 objects. I tried to change the water level, but it doesn't look like I thought it would. Rocks Beneath, turbulent. I have downloaded Bryce Pro, but not had a chance to install it yet. The orignal is larger, but I cropped it as the rest is open ocean.

Any suggestions on how to improve this ?

Thanks.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited December 1969

Trying something that looks better. Two rocks, and two terrains. Basically, water level, with a ground plane and the 4 objects. I tried to change the water level, but it doesn't look like I thought it would. Rocks Beneath, turbulent. I have downloaded Bryce Pro, but not had a chance to install it yet. The orignal is larger, but I cropped it as the rest is open ocean.

Thanks.
    Try to change the angle of your camera. This way it looks dull. Show us a bit of your heaven. Further it depends of your intention. Realistic isalnds? Stones in the water?

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I might not have much time to post, but I still intend to read for now, and bloody hell, Armageddon thread or what.
    It's even less Bryce-related than the Bryce post-work!

You wouldn't catch me going off topic like that!

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@dwsel_
    Liking the post-work.

@Roland
    Liking the Bridge render, I actually prefer the dark one, I like the overall feel of it better.

edited December 2012

Thanks.

Try to change the angle of your camera. This way it looks dull. Show us a bit of your heaven. Further it depends of your intention. Realistic isalnds? Stones in the water?

More realistic islands, with a beach along one side, flat areas. Maybe some buildings later on. As for the rocks, birds could live out there, or some ruins with birds.

More of a side view showing the sky. I can change the sky, I just clicked sky view and took the one it gave. I think a bluer ocean and a night sky with moonlight would look better. What do you think ?

(Signing off for sleep, I get up about 2 hours after midnight and head for work.)

island9b.png
    1039 x 465 - 664K
    Post edited by GeroblueJim on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Roland4 said:
    @eireann.sg

better now ?

Yes, better now.
    Its nice to see some details and some more colours.
    You dont want to burn your colours with too much light but there should be enough light to show everything you want to show and the lights and / or sun should create the right amount of shadow so the picture doesnt look flat.

If that was a photo of mine I would colour correct it towards blue to get rid of all the red.

Post edited by eireann.sg on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

More realistic islands, with a beach along one side, flat areas. Maybe some buildings later on. As for the rocks, birds could live out there, or some ruins with birds.

More of a side view showing the sky. I can change the sky, I just clicked sky view and took the one it gave. I think a bluer ocean and a night sky with moonlight would look better. What do you think ?

(Signing off for sleep, I get up about 2 hours after midnight and head for work.)

Welcome GeroblueJim.
    It's a good starting point, but the first thing I would do would be to create a viewpoint and composition that showed off the depth of the scene.
    Think about foreground, mid ground and background and try to get the elements to overlap each other, this will further increase the illusion of depth.

In the render below, I've tried to keep the elements the same as the ones you've used, but you'll notice I've got the camera much lower so that the islands are overlapping the horizon line breaking it up and that the foreground island is most definitely in front of the background island.

I've then further added to the depth and illusion of distance by increasing the thickness and density of the haze (in the sky lab).

Other things I've done to tweak the basic materials are to try and make sure that the geology matches, so both islands are covered in the same basic material and the two rocks are a similar colour to the rock showing through on the islands.

Don't be fooled into thinking Clam Waters are actually calm, usually I have found they produce much better reflections and tweaking the frequency will allow you to lose the almost grid-like uniform appearance of the waves. In my render I've used Calm Water; Deep Sea.

Finally, to make the beach, I duplicated the terrain and flattened it out, dropped it down to ground level and gave it the standard 'Bright Beach Sand' material which you'll find in Terrains in the Plains sub category in the material library.

Hope this helps as a starting point for you to produce a landscape you will then be ready to start populating with buildings, birds and maybe some ships. :)

PS: You really should take advantage of the free Bryce Pro 7 download though as it's capabilities are much better and the extra content supplied by our very own David Brinnen will help you to achieve more realistic materials in your islands.

Islands.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 202K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Roland: The last image is, IMHO, much better. If only because we now can see the good detail you created. I too would lean away from as much red as you've applied. But that's me. As Horo said, you have the final say so.

@electro: That's a mighty fine looking knife. Nice job.

@Geroblue: That's a nice start. Besides what The Savage told you, also keep in mind to keep adjacent object in perspective. If you have an island, like you have, then the surrounding rocks would be much smaller than the island itself. Looking at your last image, the rock behind the green island is almost as large as the green island. To combat this either make the island larger or the rock smaller. Same goes for the other rock. You could move the other island back a bit and, with its current size, use it to portray a distant island like The Savage has shown.

edited December 1969

Thanks.

this is a great start, I will also suggest you get the Bryce 7.1 pro (its free) and the included Pro content files that come with it, should be 3 downloads in all, some of the materials included are fantastic, also might I suggest the bryce tutorials site, it is an excellent resource for Bryce users .
    http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/index.html

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

A few more Peter The Polar Bear pics.

BearReflection.jpg
    690 x 975 - 226K
    BearNight2.jpg
    690 x 975 - 227K
  • tpstigerstpstigers Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

"December"

December.jpg
    1520 x 851 - 2M
    edited December 1969

I have 7Pro installed. Moved the second island further away. Changed the ocean. Added a sand ground plane... I think I lost in the ocean somewhere... I shrunk the rocks and changed the sky. Looks like i'm too far away from the front island. When I find the sand ground pane and get it to render, I'll post both pictures.

edited December 1969

Sand... I thought I had grabbed the small ground plane under the front island... but got the sea instead.

I tried the 'layer cake' method by looking in from the side, and moving each layer up until well separate. Got the ocean back to ocean, and lost the sand somewhere.

Second picture is without sand.

island16c.png
    877 x 458 - 331K
    island12c.png
    877 x 458 - 455K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I have 7Pro installed. Moved the second island further away. Changed the ocean. Added a sand ground plane... I think I lost in the ocean somewhere... I shrunk the rocks and changed the sky. Looks like i'm too far away from the front island. When I find the sand ground pane and get it to render, I'll post both pictures.

use the TAB key to move from obj to obj - it will have red outline

edited December 1969

I keep expecting to see a bottle fo coke or a can of pepsi in these Polar bear pictures they remind me so much of the holiday commericals.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

I keep expecting to see a bottle fo coke or a can of pepsi in these Polar bear pictures they remind me so much of the holiday commercials.

Exactly what I was thinking, LOL!

Has anyone done the little santa riding on the Norelco razor? That ad's been running every year since I can remember!

This discussion has been closed.